It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:53 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.
Yeah, a stinky, filty mess. It was one can in an eight pack that was mostly shrink wrapped. It had an expiration date in 2008, so I guess that's my bad. I do tend to hold stuff past the "best by" dates and probably would have cycled this stuff out the door in December when baking supplies are on sale.

But I never heard of cans just starting to leak on their own. There was nothing stored on top of it, so no outside pressure. The spreading, drippy brown puddle spread a ways but I was able to clean off the other cans and bottles.

Is canned evaporated milk known for spontaneous leaks?

Has anyone had any canned food item just sudden spring a leak?

Thanks, Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:06 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I do not stock pile a lot of it but no none of mine has leaked spontaneously.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:31 pm 

Are you sure you mean Evaporated? As far as I know evaporated is just powdered milk (aka dehydrated milk) Could you mean Sweetened Condensed Milk? Either way I've never had either leak on me but I've never had more that what I need for a month or 2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:43 pm 

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:45 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I had that happen to two cans of sauerkraut that I bought on a whim. I had planned to do something with them in a short time frame, but it kinda got pushed to the back burner and they sat on the shelf for about six months. It was pretty disgusting. The contents sorta leaked out at the bottom of both cans, turning into this evil black festering mess.

Now I don't keep any more canned sauerkraut. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:45 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I had that happen to two cans of sauerkraut that I bought on a whim. I had planned to do something with them in a short time frame, but it kinda got pushed to the back burner and they sat on the shelf for about six months. It was pretty disgusting. The contents sorta leaked out at the bottom of both cans, turning into this evil black festering mess.

Sorry about the double post. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 am 

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

's all good. I could always need another reminder to check on my sauerkraut supply on a weekly basis...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:31 am 

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

That's a shame, really. You'd be hard-pressed to find canned food as high in vitamin C as sauerkraut.
Obviously it is named sauerkraut for a reason. It's pretty acidic and will eat through the can when the coating is damaged.

[Yes, I'm German, and yes, I keep at least 10 cans of kraut in the pantry at all times.]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Lucretius wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

's all good. I could always need another reminder to check on my sauerkraut supply on a weekly basis...

And that's my good deed for the day, then. :D

Krustofski wrote:
Pondo_Sinatra wrote:

That's a shame, really. You'd be hard-pressed to find canned food as high in vitamin C as sauerkraut.
Obviously it is named sauerkraut for a reason. It's pretty acidic and will eat through the can when the coating is damaged.

[Yes, I'm German, and yes, I keep at least 10 cans of kraut in the pantry at all times.]

I loooove me some good sauerkraut. Mom used to make it, wish I had her skills.

A loaf of Schwarzbrot, a big old heap of quality sauerkraut, and some really good sausage, and I'm a happy man. Sadly, the aforementioned items are hard to find around here. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

]
ZombieGranny wrote:
That shrink wrap doesn't protect the cans at all. It was probably dinged up near the edge.
I always check cans in those before I bring them home, don't always catch them as they are hard to see under that wrap.

Thanks ZG, that sounds like the cause. I'll be doing more dent checking in the future.

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:28 pm 

Acidic foods are pretty bad for leaking, as noted before.

Next time you open a can of say - pineapple. Take a look at the inside of the can. Many cans have a galvanized looking coating. I have seen that coating eaten completely off the can in product that was less than 6 months old, and we store in a cool, dry location. So, we give special attention to the acid-containing products, and store them on a bottom shelf - just in case : )

We rinse and look at any can of stored food we open, it can give you a better idea of how your shelf life is in reality vs the stamped dates.

As for sauerkraut. Yum! Some nice hot German potatoe salad with a side of kraut, dinner!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

TacAir wrote:
Acidic foods are pretty bad for leaking, as noted before.

Next time you open a can of say - pineapple. Take a look at the inside of the can. Many cans have a galvanized looking coating. I have seen that coating eaten completely off the can in product that was less than 6 months old, and we store in a cool, dry location. So, we give special attention to the acid-containing products, and store them on a bottom shelf - just in case : )

We rinse and look at any can of stored food we open, it can give you a better idea of how your shelf life is in reality vs the stamped dates.

As for sauerkraut. Yum! Some nice hot German potatoe salad with a side of kraut, dinner!

I recall seeing (maybe on How It's Made?) the process by which aluminum beverage cans are filled. Before the cans were filled, the interior was sprayed with a water-based food grade sealant. I wonder if any food product cans are treated in the same way?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:15 am 

what do you use evaporated milk for?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:23 am 

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:
I recall seeing (maybe on How It's Made?) the process by which aluminum beverage cans are filled. Before the cans were filled, the interior was sprayed with a water-based food grade sealant. I wonder if any food product cans are treated in the same way?

Almost all food cans I know have this white plastic coating on the inside. I think I remember there was a media hype about BPA in canned food once, so it's probably polycarbonate. Don't quote me on that, though.

mega-hertz wrote:

Cofee, tea, baking. Mostly. Not really a PAW necessity (milk powder has a longer shelf life anyway), but then again, a lot of people don't separate their preps from their normal pantry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Krustofski wrote:
mega-hertz wrote:

Cofee, tea, baking. Mostly. Not really a PAW necessity (milk powder has a longer shelf life anyway), but then again, a lot of people don't separate their preps from their normal pantry.

Yes, it's for baking and also a fallback for adding to coffee and tea.
I do keep my preps and normal pantry in the same area. All of my canned goods are stuff that we normally eat, we just have more of it and rotate thru it. Longer term food items are all in #2 food grade storage buckets. This is a lot of dried stuff, like beans, rice, pasta. It lasts a lot longer than canned goods if properly stored.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 am 

Happened to me once, but the can in question was green beans. They were also shrink-wrapped, so maybe it's moisture trapped between the plastic and the can causing corrosion.

"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Necro alert, but found this thread searching the web for the same as the OP asked, "Is canned evaporated milk known for spontaneous leaks?"

Just had this happen to me as well, although my evaporated milk was a teensy bit older (best buy dates of Nov and Dec 2010). Velvet brand, "distributed by Nestle USA, inc", in 12 oz cans. Storage was in a cardboard box on a OSB shelf with temps ranging from about 60-72 degrees the entire time. The cans were stacked 3 high in the box, and the two cans that leaked were both on the bottom row. The weight of the cans above playing some role in the failure maybe, along with the acidity of the milk. I've rarely had any canned foods leak either, and none I recall after such a (relatively speaking) short time.