Workout of the Day

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Trippy

Re: Workout of the Day

Post by Trippy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:08 pm

I ran in the top 5% in a marathon this weekend, dropping 12 minutes in the process. Knowing that I can run home from work in 36 minutes (18 minute drive) or make it to any in-town friends or in-laws easily adds a boost to the 70 miles a week I've built up to. It's also good that I don't need to carry a full GHB, seeing that I'm still feeling the 20 pushups I did two days ago.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 pm

70 miles a week is pretty rad. More than I've ever ran in a week, and I'm a pretty good runner for a non-marathoner. Did do one 50k ultra, but to my understanding, folks run those differently, like I walked the up hills after about 22 miles. After about 28 miles I was walking about half the flats too. A straight up marathon is pretty intimidating.

Just bought an interval timer. Been using it on medium 7-8 mile runs. 30 seconds of sprints followed by two minutes at a regular pace (8-9min/mile). Next week I'm going to 35sec/1:55sec ratio. after a few more weeks I'm going to do a two mile diagnostic just to see if that will drop me back down into the 12:15 range.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Workout of the Day

Post by rednekrampager » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 am

Ok , my patient load was not what I expected it to be. So since I missed my gym session I did a workout in the exam room .
Sandbag extensions 4 sets @ 15 reps
Curls 5 sets @ 20 reps
Body weight & sandbag squats 2 sets @ 100 reps
6 sets push-ups @ 20 reps.
N

Now I don't feel so quilty.
Get off my lawn!!

KFA_Davis

Post by KFA_Davis » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Myana wrote:I gimped around most of the day. Towards dinner, I got a tad depressed about how badly those 10 stupid minutes kicked my butt. Then I remembered.

I'm 52. Six years ago, I weighed 200 lbs (at 5' 3"...) Walking up one flight of stairs left me panting. I couldn't run more than a tenth of a mile. I couldn't do one pushup. I struggled to lift a 30 lb bucket of cat litter off the ground.

Six years, and everything changed. I'm not running marathons, but I ran my first 5k (the Warrior Dash). I've lost 52 pounds and am still dropping. I can lift 175 pounds. Walking 12 miles isn't even strenuous. And yesterday I did 70 burpees and 70 kettle-bell swings in 10 minutes. (According to my friend. I sure as hell wasn't wasting any energy on keeping count!)

So to anybody who reads these posts and thinks, "I could never do that"... yes, you can. It may take time, but you can get in shape. And you will feel so very much better when you do!
This is pretty much where I am. I'm 44, smoked for 16 years, quit it 4 years ago, was sedentary for a lot of the time. Off and on for the last few years I've exercised, but am now back in it for good. Concentrating on cardio at the moment with jump rope. Odd how jumping up and down doesn't bother my knees like running does (missing half the cartilage in both, plus ACL reconstruction in right). Managed about 600 in under roughly 6 minutes, with 1 minute rest every minute and a half.

I have noticed improvement over the last 6-8 months (went on a stretch of 4 months of exercise, got hurt, recovered). Went on a roughly 7 mile (mostly level) hike about a month ago. Worst I suffered were blisters on both heels. Otherwise I felt GREAT. This hike a year ago would have kicked my ass. I like hiking/backpacking, so that hike was the confirmation I needed that my efforts were paying dividends.

Just remember, no matter who you are, what shape you are in: we all have to start somewhere. Don't give up (which is where I suffer). I got so used to taking the easy way, it can be hard to maintain motivation. Guess I need to go on more hikes. :wink:

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 pm

KFA_Davis wrote: Just remember, no matter who you are, what shape you are in: we all have to start somewhere.
This. Its taken me three and a half years to build up to running 70 miles per week, and I started out running around the block.

Original plan today was a 21 mile long run with time constraints. Ran into a friend and chatted for 25 minutes so my plan cut to 17. Knee started hurting at 13.3 so I had to bail to do upcoming family thing. All in all a rather frustrating day.

KFA_Davis

Post by KFA_Davis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Went for a 5 mile round trip hike Saturday. Made it roughly halfway through the first 2.5 miles before my right leg from ass to ankle gave up. The portion of the hike I was on at the time was a never-ending hill climb. Turned back and called it a day rather than injuring myself and needing assistance to get out. My cardio seemed to be doing ok, but definitely needs more work as well.

With that said, Mondays are my new leg day. I just destroyed my legs. Declining sets of squats starting with two 35 lb dumbells, then 30's, 20's, 15's, then body weight, which is 201-ish. 20 reps each. I can walk, but it takes a little more attention than any other day. [emoji38]
Last edited by KFA_Davis on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KFA_Davis

Post by KFA_Davis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Trippy wrote:
KFA_Davis wrote: Just remember, no matter who you are, what shape you are in: we all have to start somewhere.
This. Its taken me three and a half years to build up to running 70 miles per week, and I started out running around the block.

Original plan today was a 21 mile long run with time constraints. Ran into a friend and chatted for 25 minutes so my plan cut to 17. Knee started hurting at 13.3 so I had to bail to do upcoming family thing. All in all a rather frustrating day.
Something is better than nothing. :wink:

moni1124
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead / Zombieland

Post by moni1124 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:00 pm

4 sets of 25

Squats
Fire Hydrants each leg
Leg Extensions each leg
Calf raises
Hello Dolleys

50 Crunches
100 Rocky Crunches
25 Frog Kicks
25 Leg lifts
50 Oblique Scissors
"They're back from the grave, and ready to party!"
Technician Class KD9DYK
SAR Tech III

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 am

I keep a few dumbbells in my locker at work, two 35s and a 50. Today I did rows with the fifty (3x20) and alternating shoulder press with the thirty-fives (3x8). Then an hour of walking laps around the apparatus floor, every fifth lap or so I did a couple laps farmer-walking the 35lbers.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

paladin2112

Post by paladin2112 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:08 am

Time to get into shape, lots of weight to loose, I am not getting any younger :)

Workout Number 1 (10/4/15)

Exercise Bike = 20 min
Leg Press = 12@150, 12@180, 10@210, 10@240, 10@270, 3x8@300
Leg Curls = 3x15@100
Leg Ext = 3x12@100
Superset of
1)DB Shrugs 3x15@65
2)Std Cable Crunch 3x15@50
Pulldowns @170#; 1 rep on 1st min, 2 rep on 2nd min,... etc until cannot get all reps
did 10 rounds + 7 reps = 62 reps total
Calves on Leg Press = 3 sets

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”