Workout of the Day

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tater Raider

Re: Workout of the Day

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Bicycle Report: Yesterday, another 14.3 km. Today, 12.2 km @ 15.5 kph. Usually today is when I take my floating sip day but decided to go ahead and take it real easy and do my short day. Tomorrow's goal is 35 km and I will try to average 15 kph or better.

-Darkhorse-

Post by -Darkhorse- » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am

Ball hockey for an hour and then a tabata/crossfit routine in the Afghan sun.

Sweating it out.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:55 pm

This thread is for your WOD only.

Take discussion elsewhere please
Man is a beast of prey

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:50 pm

33 km, 2+ hrs. Winds were a pain today.

I did top out around 50 kph on the sprint home...

Valpo Hawkeye

Post by Valpo Hawkeye » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Ran 14 miles. Time to build miles for a fall marathon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I was supposed to bike 13 km (8.1 mi) but due to a math error I ended up doing 14.5 km (9 mi) in about 58 minutes.

Simple algebra done in your head while riding a bike doesn't work well. I've written a formula into my workout spreadsheet so I can plug in the distance then bike to one end of the nearby bicycle trail then bike towards the other. The formula will tell me what the odometer should read at my "turn around and go straight home" point.

Also learned that lack of sleep + bike ride = legs hate me.

Still no weight loss, but I am seeing the fat slowly go away and the muscles in the legs building. At least once a week I'm going, "Son of a... where did this go?" or "Wait a minute, there's daylight between that and those now. When did that happen?" It's pretty neat, even if the scale hates me.

Endurance outside of biking is way up, energy is up as well, and when I get tired my body crashes hard, so my sleeping has improved. Apnea is not as bad as it was, BP continues to go down, and I'm happy about what I've managed to do with help and encoragement from my friends and a, "Just do it, asshole," attitude. At this point I don't feel right unless I've had a bike ride that day.

Still take 2 rest days a week though. I don't want to overdo things so I'm sticking to the game plan.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 pm

I didn't get to do my cardio today, but I did twenty bicycle ab thngies, a round of 20 squats this morning, and a 45 second plank. Then, this evening, I challenged my hubby to do squats with me and was determined to do as many as he could. I lost count after twenty, but he gave up first, so booyah!
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Tater Raider wrote:Also learned that lack of sleep + bike ride = legs hate me.
Been there.
My real nemesis is squats.
We do four 13 week weight lifting 'routines' every year.
And one has squats.

Invariably, the first day back into squats + vigorous workout = can't bend enough to get into car the next day...
:roll:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 am

Tater Raider wrote:Yesterday was a rest day. Today I was supposed to bike 13 km (8.1 mi) but due to a math error I ended up doing 14.5 km (9 mi) in about 58 minutes.

Simple algebra done in your head while riding a bike doesn't work well. I've written a formula into my workout spreadsheet so I can plug in the distance then bike to one end of the nearby bicycle trail then bike towards the other. The formula will tell me what the odometer should read at my "turn around and go straight home" point.

Also learned that lack of sleep + bike ride = legs hate me.

Still no weight loss, but I am seeing the fat slowly go away and the muscles in the legs building. At least once a week I'm going, "Son of a... where did this go?" or "Wait a minute, there's daylight between that and those now. When did that happen?" It's pretty neat, even if the scale hates me.

Endurance outside of biking is way up, energy is up as well, and when I get tired my body crashes hard, so my sleeping has improved. Apnea is not as bad as it was, BP continues to go down, and I'm happy about what I've managed to do with help and encoragement from my friends and a, "Just do it, asshole," attitude. At this point I don't feel right unless I've had a bike ride that day.

Still take 2 rest days a week though. I don't want to overdo things so I'm sticking to the game plan.
Good progress dude , keep it up. :)

Yesterday I did a 10km log carry followed by a quick march of 12km.

Whilst drinking whiskey and beer. Good times!
Man is a beast of prey

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:49 am

the_alias wrote:Good progress dude , keep it up. :)
Thank you. That means a lot to me, especially from you. I mean that. :)

27.1 km (16.8 mi) in 1:54:00 today after a good rain yesterday so the bike trail (crushed limestone) was mush, so I think the Strava is lying when it says I only burned 414 calories. As a result of this ride my hammies hate me and I changed my signature. Energy levels are just fine so no bonk, just hatred between me and my legs.

Unless someone suggests otherwise, I'll start reporting my riding diet along with. I'll also report weight once a week if y'all are interested. Note: outside of riding, I eat pretty much as I always have so I won't report that but from 2 hours before until 1 hour after a ride I'm picky about what I eat and drink. I'm open to critique, especially the during bit.

Fuel for the ride:
  • Pre-ride (1 hour before): 2 ~8" pancakes with peanut butter, honey, and a smidge of butter and a fried egg.
    During: 1 protein bar, 20 oz Gatorade, 16.7 oz water, ~12 oz. diet soda.
    After: ~12 oz. dark chocolate milk.
I think 6" pancakes would work better. :oops:

CoTTer

Post by CoTTer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 am

My work out routine. I usually get each work out done in like 45 mins, I will go through it once more, so really doing 6-8 sets of stuff. This work out, as well as healthy eating has helped a lot in my weight. I use to weigh 370 about 9 months ago, I am now down to 267. Can't wait to drop down another 40 pounds, really go hard into bearmode. Also on a side note, I will ride a Bicycle about 90-100 miles a week (Work is 9 miles away, so riding there and back is a 18 mile trip, then riding my bike from home to the gym is another 2)

Monday: Chest/Biceps
4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Chest Dips until failure
3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8

Tuesday: Legs/Calves
4 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Lunges 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Press 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Extensions till failure
3 sets of Leg Curls 8-10 reps

Wednesday: Back
3 sets of Lat Pulldowns 8-10 reps
4 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
3 sets of Bent Over Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Dumbell Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Hyperextensions 8-10 reps

Thursday: Shoulders/Triceps
4 sets of Shoulder Press, alternate with Barbell & Dumbell every week 8-10 reps
3 sets of Upright Rows supersetted with Lateral Raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of front raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of Lying Rear Delt Raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of Close-Grip Bench Press 8-10 reps
4 sets of Pulldowns 8-10 reps
3 sets of Skullcrushers 8-10 reps

Saturday: Full Body
3 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
3 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Clean and Jerk 8-10 reps
3 sets of Weighted Pull ups 8-10 reps

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Ride:
  • Time: 1:44:29
    Distance: 27.2 km (16.9 mi)
    Ave Speed: 15.6 kph (9.7 mph)
    Climbed: 47 m (154 ft.)
    Calories: 423
The Feed Zone:
  • Pre: Fried egg and bologna with cheese toasted sandwich
    During: ~20 oz Gatoraid, 33.8 oz water, splash of dt. soda, trail mix (carb) bar
    After: 12 oz. dark chocolate milk, plain egg salad sandwich
My thinking is that as the rides grow the diet will be more regulated by the length of ride and then the weight loss will begin. I'm guessing this will begin to happen in the next 2-4 weeks.

- Shut up, legs.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:37 pm

sat was max day for bench and after max it was tris, with a little bit of dead lifts and shoulders.
so suicides, inward grip bench, pull ups, leg lifts and knee ups/ dead lift, up right rows
yesterday i worked out twice both bis and shoulders
in the morning it was curls, and two different shoulder work outs with more curls
then in the evening it was the same but with heavier and more reps
today so far
50 bicycle sit up, 100 push ups, leg lifts and planks, then a mile and a half run
and i will probably hit it later tonight
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Norseman

Post by Norseman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:11 am

As I have gotten older and my body feels the abuse heaped upon it over the years, I have gotten away from lifting real heavy weights and running long distances, and I have taken a different approach to what works better for me now and what I feel gives me a more functional level of fitness given my slower recovery time from training and injuries these days.

I generally exercise everyday, taking a day off when I am tired and my body tells me that it needs rest (usually one day a week off).

Today was a typical type workout with a mixture of crossfit training in circuits encompassing cardio and strength as well as working on MMA with the heavy bag, foot work, and some ground fighting.

My usual workout target time is for an hour going through 2 - 4 circuits using weights, improvised strength training (sledge hammer/tires, etc), pull ups, bow-flex, work on the core (abs), exercise bike, treadmill, and footwork as well as time on the bags during the circuits. I shoot for 2-4 iterations in a circuit and break it down into two 30 minute cycles with a short (2-3 minute) rest in between the cycles and no rest between the circuits. The thing I like the best about the circuit training is that I can vary the type exercises everyday, working different muscle groups, and I can also vary the number of exercises in a given circuit (more exercises/less circuits in a cycle, less exercise/more circuits) and I can vary things such as the footwork or bag work(which alleviates boredom). For example (if I can remember all of it and not screw up it up while typing it out), here was today's workout:

Today:
1st Cycle/Circuit One
*Bike: 2 minutes
*footwork (change ups) 1 minute
* Heavy bag 1 minute
*Abs/core (100 crunches and crossover crunches)
*Bench 10 reps
*Abs/core & triceps (laying across shoulders on the bench 45lb plate pullovers)
*Abs/core (side twist with 25lb plate, 25 reps per side)
*Curl Bar 10 reps
*Squats 10 reps
*Calf raises 10 reps
*10lb sledgehammer on tires, 10 reps left/10 reps right
Circuit 2 & Circuit 3 repeat above changing up the footwork and actions on heavy bag throughout and add ground fighting on bag on circuit 3
End Cycle One
Approximate time 36-37 minutes

-----------Rest 3 minutes/drink some water

Second Cycle/Circuit One
* Longer time & more variety on on the Heavy bag
*Abs/core (50 crunches & cross overs)
*Lat pulldown 15 reps
*Single Arm Tricep Extensions 10 reps/left & right arm
*Seated Rows 15 reps
*Jump/hops over bench side to side 10 reps over and back
*Abs/core (6 inches, flutterkicks, and open/close)
Circuit Two closely mirrors Circuit one with changes mainly in bag work
End Cycle Two
Approximate time 32 minutes

Approximate total time Cycles One and Two: 1hr 9 minutes + 3 minute rest between Cycles for 1hr 12 minutes

Tomorrows workout will be different, but still follow same basic format.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ---George Orwell

Norseman

Post by Norseman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm

I just finished todays workout and showered off a few minutes ago.

It does feel better since the last two days have brought rain and dropped the temperature in the metal building where my workout area is set up from 98-100 degrees to a cool 80 degrees. :D

Today:
1st Cycle/Circuit One
*Footwork (change ups, etc.) 1 minute2
*Situps with feet under heavy bag, punch bag at the top for 20 reps/strikes per side left/right
*Heavy bag work (punches, elbow strikes, kicks, knees, etc.)
*Military press 10 reps
*Upright Rows 10 reps
*Abs/core & triceps (laying across shoulders on the bench 45lb plate pullovers)
*Abs/core (side twist with 25lb plate, 25 reps per side)
*single Arm Dumbbell Curls 10 reps each arm
*10lb sledgehammer on tires, 10 reps left/10 reps right
Circuit 2 & Circuit 3 repeat above changing up the footwork and actions on heavy bag throughout and adding ground fighting on bag on circuit 3
End Cycle One
Approximate time 34 minutes

-----------No Rest between Cycles/drank some a swallow of water between Cycles and then had a swallow between Circuits in Cycle Two.

Second Cycle/Circuit One
*Situps with feet under heavy bag, punch bag at the top for 20 reps/strikes per side left/right
*Heavy bag work (punches, elbow strikes, kicks, knees, etc.)
*Planks
Circuit Two and Three closely mirrored Circuit one with changes mainly in bag work
End Cycle Two
Approximate time 26 minutes

Approximate total time Cycles One and Two for Six Circuits total: 1hr
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ---George Orwell

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am

Bicycle:
  • Time: 50:16
    Distance: 13 km (8.9 mi)*
    Ave Speed: 15.4 kph (9.6 mph)
    Climbed: 22 m (72 ft)
    Cal: 176
*Cycling computer and App disagree (13.1 v. 12.9 km). App shows a corner cut when I didn't so I averaged them. All other stats are from Strava.

The Feed Zone:
  • Pre: Egg salad sandwich on wheat toast
    During: Diet soda - easy day so slacked off here, as usual
I held up a bit at the beginning to ride with Lady Tater and because my legs didn't want to warm up. By the end of the ride we were doing a good job of pushing each other. The last 2 km was an impromptu race that I won by all of about 5 seconds. The climb up the drive at the very end continues to be a pain - I may have to rework with crushed limestone as the gravel just bounces the bicycles around.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 am

Bicycle:
  • Time: 2:24:25
    Distance: 40.4 km (25.1 mi)
    Ave Speed: 16.8 kph (10.4 mph)
    Climbed: 71 m (233 ft)
    Cal: 630
The Feed Zone:
  • Pre: Oops?
    During: 33.8 oz water, ~24 oz Gatoraid, 12 oz. soda (not diet), trail mix bar, protein bar
- Shut up, legs.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Just spent a week camping with the family. Every second day I would do 5-10 supersets of chin ups and chest dips. Days in between I would do sets of one-arm dumbbell clean and press, with a 50lb dumbbell I brought along. Every day I would do several rounds of going up the 122-step staircase up the bluff, going two steps at a time.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 pm

For the week: About 135 km (84 miles) total.

Long rides are a morning affair, starting just before or at sunrise. Today it was 05:30 start time.
I no longer call them "Long Days". I now call them "Everlong" because of this.

The Ride:
  • Moving Time: 2:49:06
    Distance: 45.3 km (28.1 mi)
    Ave Speed: 16.1 kph (10.0 mph)
    Elev Gain: 83 m (272 ft)
    Est. Calories: 705
The Feed Zone:
  • Pre: Big bowl of raisin bran with too much 1% milk.

During:
    • 1 hour in: carb bar
      Halfway point: 12 oz. soda, protein bar
      2 hours in: carb bar
      Hydration: 24 oz. Gatoraid and ~50 oz. water total, drank at 15 minute intervals (yes, I time it).
Taken while riding, sorry for the bluriness. Nice light fog with pockets of pea soup. Bike trail keeps me out of traffic.

Foggy sunrise near Trail's End. Makes biking in the dark kinda worth it.

Additional workout: moved the two boys into their 2nd story dorm room right after the ride.

Shut up legs.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:56 am

Forced to abandon 21k into a 33k ride today. Combo of strong wind and weak legs. Counting it as my second short (17k) day and moving my rest day from Wed. to Thu. so I can recover for a 50k attempt on Fri.

I'm pissed and it's a setback but I have to adapt. Sometimes the body says, "You're nuts!"

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:15 pm

This week's goal was 150 km and a 50 km day. Done and done.

The GPS on my phone acted up during the ride so those figures will be close but low so I'll mark them with an *. Everything else is taken from the cycling computer and should be accurate.

Today:
  • Ride Stats:
    • Moving Time: 2:44.31
      Distance: 31.1 miles (50.1 km)
      Ave Speed: 11.3 mph (18.2 kph)
      Elev Gain: 371 ft. (113 m)*
      Calories: 813*
    The Feed Zone:
    • Pre: Bowl of cocoa rice crispies with half a banana and 1% milk
      During: 1 protein bar, 2 carb bars, 12 oz. soda, 20 oz. sport drink, and a lot of water - at least a liter
      Post: Dark chocolate milk, the rest of the banana, and a smoked turkey sandwich
    Pics or GTFO:
      Sunrise. Stopped long enough to get the picture.

Halfway point. Soda, protein bar, and picture stop (15 minutes?)
      Love the post-apocalyptic feel of this building.
Today I learned that going just a smidge easy in the first half of the ride results in my overall average speed going up significantly.

anotheroldfart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell, they're all good.

Post by anotheroldfart » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Looks good there Tater, what kind of bike are you riding?

I just finished my daily ride at 20.2 miles at 12.1 avg speed, weekly total is at 79.8, but I count my ride week from Monday to Sunday. Planning on a long ride Saturday, so I should easily exceed my goal of 100 miles this week.
Murphy's Military Corolary #1
Remember, your weapon system was provided by the lowest bidder...

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

I've been doing one-arm dumbbell clean and press with a 50lb-er for a while now, but yesterday I got a second 50, and today I did it 2-handed, 50 in each hand. Holy crap, what a difference! (I know, right? Duh!) But seriously, whole new workout with two bells. Do that every second day for six months and you'll feel like a different person! (Or so I assume, I'll let you know).

I got extremely sweaty.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:33 am

anotheroldfart wrote:Looks good there Tater, what kind of bike are you riding?
Raleigh Detour. Perfect bike for short rides around town, not suited for crushed limestone (narrow tires) or high winds (no drop bars).

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”