Workout of the Day

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Re: Workout of the Day

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 am

Bump. I've been alternating bodyweight workout days with dumbbell workout days.

One day I'll do supersets of chin ups and parallel bar dips, followed by supersets of free squats and ab wheel. That wheel is no gimmick; try it for real and you'll see what a multi-system exercise it is. All four exercises can be slowly loaded with my weight vest. My finisher is high-rep calf raises on a step.

Next day I do dumbbell clean and press. I do sets of five until I've done fifty with each arm. Some sets one-arm, some sets two. This exercise really seems to work the body. When I start with a new heavier weight, it seems daunting to think of moving this big hunk of steel around. But as I go, I'm always amazed to realise I'm working explosively with a weight that used to intimidate me. I think dumbbell cnp improves 'work capacity', the ability to do work. I think it's a perfect exercise for strength and fitness in this context we have here at ZS. My finisher is neck bridges.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Mon May 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Workout was pretty short today because the gym was PACKED.

KISS workout was

Light jog to warm up.

Bench press: 5 x 5 @ 185 (pretty much body weight for me)

Squat: 5 x 5 @ 275

Midway through the squats I tossed 315 on the bar just to see if I could do it and it went up like nothin'! I'm usually extremely conservative with adding weight, and I almost never attempt PR's because of that. I think I can top 315, but for now I am pretty damn happy.

Now, I'm going to eat like a fat kid.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

TDot132

Post by TDot132 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Wasn't much of a workout, but shooting hoops with the g/f, mile bike ride at leisure pace, and kick/throwing the football around with the neighbor kids. Something is better than nothing I guess huh? I donated plasma today so had to take it easy.
How do I stay so happy? I live by a certain phrase... FIDO F*** It, Drive On.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Ran 3 miles in 25 min ( easy pace)
3 sets of a body weight circuit (pull up,push up, dips, hack squats)
20 min yoga cool down

Then I ate a large number 2 meal from Mickey D with a large strawberry shake and took a nap.
Kinda two steps forward and one step back.

TDot132

Post by TDot132 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Rick... Even with that one step back, you are still one step ahead of where you were. That's my thought anyway.

And for my workout of the day. 4 mile bike ride up and down hills, into the wind most of the time at 9.9 mph average. I would've done more, but that wind was killing me and there was a storm coming in.
How do I stay so happy? I live by a certain phrase... FIDO F*** It, Drive On.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed May 07, 2014 8:30 am

I need to post here more to keep myself honest....

1200 meters in 5 minutes on the rower to warm up.
Preacher curls, tricep press and knee raises super sets (15,12,8,5 rep sets increasing weight. 15 reps each set for knee raises)
Sitting shoulder press, shrugs, standing row (I think) super sets (15,12,8,5 sets) never putting the dumbell down during a set.
Lat pulldown, shoulder raises, and plank super set (15, 12, 8, 5...30 seconds per plank).
2 miles on elipse in 18 minutes with 2 minute cool down.

Total time 64 minutes.

Apoligies if I called an exercise the wrong thing, lol.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

bethanyb
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bethanyb » Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 pm

3 miles in 88 degree heat. :?
I survived Zombie Con 2008! Filtered Manbath - A little bit of shame in every sip.
I survived Zombie Con 2009! There's is more than one Highway M off of Missouri Hwy 8.
I survived Zombie Con 2010! I jumped, skipped and flipped.
I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed May 21, 2014 6:41 am

bethanyb wrote:3 miles in 88 degree heat. :?
I applaud your crazy dedication :crazy:

30 minutes on my treadmill using one of the half hour performance program's. I burnt 185 cals.
My rotator cuff shoulder injury is much better so I'm good to try to go.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:52 am

did 2 miles of interval sprints ...fun stuff
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 am

Bump.

I have recently started recording my current personal best in certain "old school" lifts. I found a lifting journal from 1996 that had my personal best in these lifts, and I wondered if I could ever get back to the weights that I lifted as a younger man. I was never a gym rat, but I was a 3-5 day a week lifter who like to stay in shape. So, the last 5 months have been building up to attempting to max lift in bench press, deadlift and squat. I am also attempting to beat my 24 year old self's personal best in pull ups, push ups and dips, with no cheating, which I apparently did a ton of when younger as my form when first going back to these exercises was crap. :lol:

To get to this point, I had been doing a bunch of cardio based super sets with lighter weights to essentially just stay in shape, but the more I read of alternate workouts, and truly staying in good shape, the more I kept finding that I needed to push myself with heavier weights at least once a month, and changing that up would allow me to gain strength to increase the tempo of the cardio based workouts. Anyway, I am now doing alternating weeks of high weight/low rep workouts, ending with a 20 minute session of cardio (light jog, stairmaster, elipse, etc) and the opposite week of high rep (15 or more)/low weight supersets that keep my heart rate above 120 for the 60 minute duration of the workout.

So here are my differentials after my first week of recording. I debated putting the actual weight, but am a little too self-conscious at this time for that.

Bench Press:-40 pounds from 24 year old self. I felt the most gratified from this. When I started this with low weights, I was concerned as even weights that I knew I could lift felt very difficult.

Deadlift: -60 pounds. I attained the weight I wanted and stopped. I "think" I could have gone 20 pounds heavier, but oh well.

Squat: -140 pounds, but I like to think Incomplete. :crazy: Thanks ZS for keeping me honest. I tweaked my back on the warm up set and didn't push it. I am adding lower back exercises and staying away from heavy squats for the next cycle completely. I am also buying a new weight belt as I am still using the one I bought in 1994.

Push-ups: -22 reps.
Pull ups: -8 reps.
Dips: -13 reps.

For the body weight reps, after I was done feeling like an old man for doing, in some cases 1/3 of what I could do before, I realized that I weigh a full 50 pounds more than I did then, So, I got back on the machine where you can reduce weight on dips and pull-ups. I did much better, but was still off by a solid margin. I am not going to use that as an excuse, but I am going to make a more concerted effort to lose weight.

Conclusion: I can get back to my old weights eventually. I have gained enough in the last 5 months to feel confident about that. I also realize that if I am making gains now, I wasn't pushing myself nearly as hard as I should have been back then, but a 24 year old kid doesn't realize that he is ever going to get old.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by Myana » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Worked out with 40 pound unstable weights (basically a 40 lb bean bag with handles). Split my time between choppers, clean presses, standing broad jumps, and bear crawling around the room.

I love working with unstable weights. It's the best imitation of the kind of lifting I do in real life. "Need... to put... 40 lbs... catfood... on top... shelfffff.... ARRGH! Mayday! Mayday! Catfood shifting!"

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Today was an hour of boxing/kickboxing drills. Yesterday was chins/dips, barbell squats, overhead press and deadlifts.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Hey, this thread is a good idea for extra motivation not to be a couch potato!!!!

I've been changing up my routine-splits lately (mostly weights, little cardio). I used to do a basic 3 day routine: Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Shoulders/Legs. But to focus on pairing compound movements, I've been playing with Chest/light Tri, Bis/Tris, Shoulders/Traps, Back/Legs on a 4 day split.

Today was Back/Leg day:
1. Superset bent-over-rows and leg-press to warm up. 2 sets of 15, 3 sets of 10
2. Deadlift, light to heavy. 3 sets of 10, 1 set of 8, 1 set of 6
3. Superset Rows and leg-press again. 3 sets of 8 to 12

Nothing crazy, just trying to get back into things. I'm curious if I will see better results with different muscle groupings.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Thu May 14, 2015 11:03 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Hey, this thread is a good idea for extra motivation not to be a couch potato!!!!
Hell yeah it is. I'll admit, putting myself out there in front of folks does drive me just a little harder. I remember an old thread like this from like 2008 or something. I posted on it all the time. I've noticed since just doing my list of "apartment" work outs, work outs I can do in my apartment, I ain't been at it as hard. Won't be back to an actual gym I don't think for a while.

Here's where I've been; being lazy for the past two weeks, though I did run my first ultra marathon about a month ago, albiet slow as shit.

Today...150 burpies for time this afternoon. Then "Arnie" with a 25lb kettle bell. (Turkish get-ups, overhead squats, swings). Both in my "living" room (where I keep a bunch of back packs, a mountain bike, gun stuff, computer, and a lawn chair).

Also spent an entire Clutch show in the mosh pit last weekend.... pretty drunk....after mountin' bikin'. Holy crap, thats a work out.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Myana » Fri May 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Today, I tried a new off-day workout. I do 'real' workouts three times a week, for an hour apiece, and try to toss in a hike on the weekends. I'd like to add a quick (half hour) exercise on my "rest" days. I'm looking for something that's a) quick, b) doesn't require me to change clothes, and c) doesn't get me so sweaty that I have to break from work to take a shower. The problem is that it has to be a decent workout, too, which is hard to combine with the 'no baths' rule.

After trying walking (too slow and too easy) and running (too sweaty), I think I found a good compromise: walking with a heavy pack. Today I went two miles at a brisk pace with a 20 lb pack. It was perfect! Turned a short stroll into something more strenuous, and it's great practice for lugging my BOB. Weight was way too light... but I can fix that.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Fri May 15, 2015 5:10 pm

^ I like just push-ups and sit-ups on off days. Bout 150 a piece. 50 of one, then switch. I change the style of the push ups every 10, so its like diamond, 10 regular, 10 wide, 10 hands come off ground on the up, 10 hands come off ground at the bottom.

Or I'll do a plank work out.

Or "dirty dozens". 12 down to one of regular push ups, then just facing the wall push ups. Really, stand about 3 feet from a wall and to a vertical push up. It sucks.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 pm

finally hit 220 on bench today... only needed to gain 5 pounds now im around 165... need to gain moar weight tho!
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Tue May 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Today was 50 chinups, 50 dips, and a 4K run.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Yesterday's ass pain.
Run 100 meters, do 10 burpies, fire one off-hand shot at 50meters. Did this for a 20 rnd Lancer mag. Maybe next time I'll use a 30 rounder.

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:35 am

Yesterday I ran in a local 5K. Did it in just over 26 minutes, my best time in a long stretch. Not bad for an old fella.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17 am

Bubba Enfield wrote:Yesterday I ran in a local 5K. Did it in just over 26 minutes, my best time in a long stretch. Not bad for an old fella.
Great job. I hope others here find some motivation in what you're doing. Keep up the good work.
Get off my lawn!!

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Myana » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:18 pm

I asked a friend (who's a personal trainer) for something intense I could do in 15 minutes. For the days when I want a good workout but don't have a lot of time. He gave me "10 Minutes in Hell."

It sounded simple. 10 kettle bell swings (American-style, so you flip the bell up as high as you can, preferably over your head). Followed by 10 burpees. Rinse and repeat for 10 minutes. No breaks. Pfft, I thought. I grabbed a 25 lb weight and gave it a shot.

Today, I am still limping. It's more mental than physical -- it's about pushing through pain more than lifting heavy weights. But DAMN it was a good workout!

It got me laughing pretty hard, too. Women's magazines always make exercise look so glamorous. Beautiful young ladies, prancing about in their skin-tight yoga pants, waving two pound weights. Nary a bead of sweat in sight.

After "10 Minutes in Hell", I realized that my workouts never look like that. Yesterday I screamed. I sweat like a pig. I face-planted on half of my last set of burpees. I had tears and snot running down my face (I have no idea why, but at the 6 minute mark my nose exploded). When it was done I lay on the floor groaning -- and laughing as I tried to picture this scene on the cover of Women's Health.

Oh well!

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Myana wrote:I asked a friend (who's a personal trainer) for something intense I could do in 15 minutes. For the days when I want a good workout but don't have a lot of time. He gave me "10 Minutes in Hell."

It sounded simple. 10 kettle bell swings (American-style, so you flip the bell up as high as you can, preferably over your head). Followed by 10 burpees. Rinse and repeat for 10 minutes. No breaks. Pfft, I thought. I grabbed a 25 lb weight and gave it a shot.

Today, I am still limping. It's more mental than physical -- it's about pushing through pain more than lifting heavy weights. But DAMN it was a good workout!

It got me laughing pretty hard, too. Women's magazines always make exercise look so glamorous. Beautiful young ladies, prancing about in their skin-tight yoga pants, waving two pound weights. Nary a bead of sweat in sight.

After "10 Minutes in Hell", I realized that my workouts never look like that. Yesterday I screamed. I sweat like a pig. I face-planted on half of my last set of burpees. I had tears and snot running down my face (I have no idea why, but at the 6 minute mark my nose exploded). When it was done I lay on the floor groaning -- and laughing as I tried to picture this scene on the cover of Women's Health.

Oh well!
That's a hell of a workout. Good on you for gutting it out & getting it done.
Get off my lawn!!

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Myana » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:09 am

Thanks! My husband congratulated me -- and told me he was never, ever going to do it with me. :D

I gimped around most of the day. Towards dinner, I got a tad depressed about how badly those 10 stupid minutes kicked my butt. Then I remembered.

I'm 52. Six years ago, I weighed 200 lbs (at 5' 3"...) Walking up one flight of stairs left me panting. I couldn't run more than a tenth of a mile. I couldn't do one pushup. I struggled to lift a 30 lb bucket of cat litter off the ground.

Six years, and everything changed. I'm not running marathons, but I ran my first 5k (the Warrior Dash). I've lost 52 pounds and am still dropping. I can lift 175 pounds. Walking 12 miles isn't even strenuous. And yesterday I did 70 burpees and 70 kettle-bell swings in 10 minutes. (According to my friend. I sure as hell wasn't wasting any energy on keeping count!)

So to anybody who reads these posts and thinks, "I could never do that"... yes, you can. It may take time, but you can get in shape. And you will feel so very much better when you do!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”