Workout of the Day

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Workout of the Day

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:27 am

There's no better prep than being in good shape! Please don't get caught up in trying to outdo someone, or worry that your workout 'isn't up to standards'. Any workout is a good workout, and we all need to improve. There's no need to put in the details of weights or times if you don't want to.

Post your daily workout here.

Today is pushup day; I did 10 sets of 45 this morning.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Meat N' Taters

Re: Workout of the Day

Post by Meat N' Taters » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:33 am

Yesterday:

10 sets of 20 pushups
5 sets of 20 tricep dips (using a folding chair)
3 sets of dumbell bicep curls
3 sets of dumbell hammer curls

Tonight:

10 sets of 20 pushups
3 sets of dumbell lateral raises
3 sets of dumbell shoulder press
3 sets of dumbell vertical row

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:36 am

Today is cardio and body weight day for me (one of my three light training days a week)

5 minutes of 85% max heart rate cardio

20 Hindu pushups
10 jump burpees
20 box sit outs (10 on each side)
20 Hindu squats
Tabata intervals with jump rope

Stretch for 5 minutes

Repeat from cardio

I'll do this for about 1.5 hours and then teach my circuit training class for an hour.

Tomorrow is Heavy Back/Light Chest
-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 am

I caught this, saw how hardcore some of you are, and decided a 1 mile walk is on today's schedule.

I have 21 months to get down to 170 pounds. I'll get a scale later today or tomorrow.

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 am

Today is my off day, but I still get a workout. I will be pitching for 2 hours for little league practice (which tends to kick my butt worse than any workout). Regular workout is 30-45 minutes on the heavybag, TRX, or treadmill depending on my mood.

I am working on getting back into a shape besides pear, so i am not as hardcore as I used to be.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 am

I should also add that I use resistance bands a lot as well (the Gold's Gym brand ones). With all three cords connected, it is some pretty heavy resistance. Not sure if it'll help you gain muscle as much as free weights, but it damn sure will visibly tone your muscles.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 am

Through the course of the day I aim to do about 50 chinups and 50 push ups.

I really need to work the legs more but man, I LOATHE running.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 am

I am traveling for work the week and workouts will be interesting. When I check into the item tonight I will go and do a cardio burpee workout and a three mile run.
Burpee workout:
30 seconds jump rope
60 seconds max burpees
60 seconds rest
Three sets total.

I will update with numbers tonight when I finish.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 am

I do the Cardio X workout from the P90X series twice a day. Once in the morning and again late evening.

-In between I do 3 sets of 40 push ups/per hr for 3 hrs (so do the 3 sets, then have the rest of the hour to rest)
-5 sets of 30 crunches
-10 mins of stretching (plus whatever is in the workout videos (which is not much)

I do this 5 days a week since I'm trying to go to the military.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:28 pm

MikeM wrote:*snip*
20 Hindu pushups
*snip*
I do Hindu Squats, but I've never heard of a Hindu pushup. What are they?

Today I'm working the upper body at the weight room.
Start off hitting the heavy bag for 3min to warm-up
5x5 dumbbell bench press
3x10 curls
3x10 triceps extensions
3x10 military press
Pull ups
3x5 seated rows
3 sets ab twists w/weight

I need to do more cardio, but I've been having a hell of a time getting motivated to do any. :oops:

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Big B wrote:
20 Hindu pushups
*snip*
I've seen them called Dive Bombers too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW61Bb8uOo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm

For those on a budget; take a chair that you can lift (like a dining room chair). Stand up straight hold the chair out infront of you to a count of 10, bring back in to chest, back out. Repeat. When done right you get a nice burn :)
Man is a beast of prey

Vic

Post by Vic » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Weather permitting, I will be doing a 3.5 km run/walk at lunchtime.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:33 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Big B wrote:
20 Hindu pushups
*snip*
I've seen them called Dive Bombers too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW61Bb8uOo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, thanks!
I've done Dive Bombers, but I've never heard them called Hindu pushups.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:45 pm

An awesome workout is take a wooden dowel bout 1" in diameter tie a rope to it that hangs down to the floor when your arms are extended straight out. Attach a weight to the end. 5+ pounds. start small at first. Hold dowel out in front of you roll the weight up while going up and down on your tip toes. When weight is all wound up roll back down. We used to do this a lot in the martial arts classes I took. Has to be the most excruciating workout to do. We had to do it ten times non stop.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:56 pm

This thread should be for workouts you do; not ones someone else did or ones you ought to be doing. Questions about an exercise are fine, but other items should be other threads or PMs.

PM Workout was jump rope intervals: fast rope about 100 jumps/minute, 30 seconds on / 30 off / 10 sets.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Tater Raider wrote:I caught this, saw how hardcore some of you are, and decided a 1 mile walk is on today's schedule.

I have 21 months to get down to 170 pounds. I'll get a scale later today or tomorrow.
Mile walk: Fail.

I wore myself out climbing up and down the basement stairs doing hosuework. I must have done 30 flights all told. I will attempt again with the mile tomorrow. Yes, I'm going to be honest about my shortcomings here otherwise there's no point, right?

EtA: Ya gotta start somewhere.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Ran 4 miles.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Tater Raider wrote: I will attempt again with the mile tomorrow. Yes, I'm going to be honest about my shortcomings here otherwise there's no point, right?

EtA: Ya gotta start somewhere.
Absolutely - that is the entirety of the point. Start where you are and get to where you need to be.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:52 pm

I have a book called Marine Corps Daily 16 Workouts. I do the workouts every morning, except for the running, which my knees won't handle. I'm slowly acclimating to my alarm clock going off earlier, so I can get up early enough to go for a walk after doing the workouts.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Grainman

Post by Grainman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I've just started a new plan yesterday based on the One Hundred Pushups plan, which is basically five sets a day for each exercise, the last set being to your maximum. I'm doing the situps, pushups, squats, and also hand grippers with each hand (using numbers for squats).

I've skipped ahead to week 3 for the situps and pushups since I got decent [-ish] numbers on both of them. Here was my exercises for yesterday (~30-60 second breaks between sets), I forget my exact numbers on the final sets:

Situps:
18, 25, 19, 19, ~30

Pushups:
12, 17, 13, 13, ~25

Squats:
13, 16, 9, 9, ~20

Grips (on each hand):
8, 8, 5, 5, ~20

Today's a recovery day, and my shoulders and calfs hurt, but I'll probably go for a walk this afternoon.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Wow... some of you guys are hardcore. :shock:

Well today I walked/ran around 10 miles through the span of about 8hrs. I carried heavy ass boxes and luggage bags. I pushed and pulled a heavy bell cart weighing anywhere from 30-80lbs. That was just at work. :P

I'm 6'2" and 230lbs. I'm trying to get down to 210lbs this year. :D
Last edited by grand94jeep on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Ran 2.2 miles.

Since I've decided that I want to (for my own edification, I'm not joining at age 34) complete the Marine Corps physical fitness test with a score of as close to 300 as possible, I need to get better at running. I am pretty damn fit as is, but I have a lot of room for improvement as a runner.

The chinups/pullups and crunches are no problem for me right now, particularly since you can use a supinated (palms towards you) grip - which makes getting 20 infinitely easier than if you had to do them with a pronated (palms away from you) grip.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:51 pm

I worked out as usual with Gilad on FitTV. http://www.bodiesinmotionwithgilad.com/ ... rkouts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roughly 7 minutes each warm up, aerobics, floor exercises - twice. (About an hour.) Then a half hour of yoga.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”