The ZPAW starts in 40 minutes, are you ready?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Do you have enough hard copies in your preps?

Yes
21%
I have a library
25%
No
40%
I caint reed
14%

Total votes: 77

Necrodamus

The ZPAW starts in 40 minutes, are you ready?

Post by Necrodamus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Ok so you will never have a warning but lets say the ZPAW did start in 40 minutes are you ready?
Do you have your preps?
Do you have all the info you need?
Inspired by the ZS maintenance blackout, what if suddenly you didnt have ZS, or the internet or any electronic media.
Do you have everything you need in hardcopy?

Edited to add emphasis.

I have an abbundance of books and most of my preps are decent.
I still have some large issues to deal with so my answer has to be no.
Something to consider and start working on tomorrow when the site comes back online...

UNLESS THE ZOMBIES COME TONIGHT!
Last edited by Necrodamus on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Heimdall
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any thing where the un dead are made more deader, and Sleepless in Seattle... what, I would totally do Meg Ryan in that flick.

Re: The ZPAW starts in 40 minutes, are you ready?

Post by Heimdall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Not only am I ready, as far as weapons, ammo, food and water goes, I just spent the last 7 hours reloading. I'm good to go.

It would be a good idea to print off more of my e books saved on my toughbook, but id have to level a small forest for that. I do have some of there important bits printed tho. The rest are hard copied or in my brain. The only bad part to all this happening now is half the crew is vacationing at the BOL, that means I'm down two shooters should they be needed.
I might be in the basement. I'll go upstairs and check.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:16 pm

I have ammo food and water.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:11 am

With 40 min warning I'm GTG. In fact, I'm OK with no warning.
Image Image

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:21 am

Read my question carefully guys.
This is about media... do you have information resources?
Do you have survival information in hardcopy format.
I can appreciate having things memorized but does everyone in your group have everything memorized?
Hardcopies will be like gold in a ZPAW situation.
Knowledge is power!

So do you have HARDCOPY information on...
Water
Food
Shelter
Improvised Weapons
First Aid
Navigation

In a ZPAW you may have to teach these topics to others.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:23 am

I'm quite honestly not ready for the zombocalypse...

I've got hardcopied info in abundance...food and water and guns/ammo and Faks and tools out the wazzoo, but it would still be sort of a pain in the ass...I'm more ready than most, but not ready...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:19 am

Hard copy info is the only area of my preps I'm NOT worried about. Tomorrow, we're going shopping for food preps- I'll take pics of the before and after prep closet if the borrowed camera is still available to me, and post them. Firearms, I'm good to go, as we'll be bugging in for most disasters- actual zombies, I'm outta here. But anything that leaves the house still standing, I'm staying for.
I would like more cooking fuel on hand, but that's going to be another shopping trip.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 am

Of course everything I know and/or have downloaded from the 'net isn't on hard copy as I try to add to the knowledge every day; but there are a great many books here on many practical subjects.

As well as paper books, there are flash drives (or book-reader-things or whatever they're called nowadays) filled with information tossed in the vehicles.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

skeet

Post by skeet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 am

I don't have everything I would like to have printed up, but I would make do with what I do have, because that's what we do.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:11 am

Great question, Necrodamus! I have worried about having everything in electronic media (whether files or the internet) for a while. And I am a big fan of plain ol books, too. Along with all the other stuff I keep picking up, I have bought:

Wilderness first aid book
Ditch Medicine
Road Atlas, with rail and waterway inserts
topo maps of my AO
The Foxfire series of books
Urban and Wilderness SAS guides
and probably more, but I am away from my library right now (OMG!)

The trick is to read and learn everything in em before it all ends.

Heimdall
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any thing where the un dead are made more deader, and Sleepless in Seattle... what, I would totally do Meg Ryan in that flick.

Post by Heimdall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 am

The only things I know more of than the rest of the 4, I guess you could say lead guys in my group, I can fix cars, been wrenchin since I was 8 and I'm teaching others as I can. I also know more about firstaid than the others. I know more about water purification, but I have a lot of that stuff hard copied. Other than that we can pretty much handle providing for the rest of the group.
I might be in the basement. I'll go upstairs and check.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Of course I am not fully prepared... but I am better prepared than I was yesterday :mrgreen:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

none1

Post by none1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 am

Why hardcopy, why is electronic backup not OK?

Ya, I get the internet might not be as readily available durring a zpaw, but, for awhile, iphone, ipod touch, and notebook computers are how I plan to, and have, stored a lot of info, both written and instructional videos.

It is very likely that in a ZPAW, if I have the time and resources to be able to use a large printed library, I also will likely have electricity to run computer storage based devices. And I can carry an iphone, or notebook and usb drive, a lot further than I can carry a library. I do have notebook computer, DC interverter and solar panel all as part of my BOV gear.

For me,

1) I have in hard copy maybe a half dozen printed books on some basic skills. (e.g. cooking, gardening)
2) I have an electronic libary with details on TONS of stuff, ranging from basic blacksmithing, tailoring, engineering (building construction) and so on.
3) I have a couple printed versions of the bible, a few more electronicly. I do not have braile version of the bible. :(
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 am

I don't technically have stuff hardcopied... but most things worth teaching to others I know by heart.

As far as being "ready" for the zpaw.... one is never ready for the zpaw. One is only able to survive the zpaw.

So could I survive the zpaw now? Yes. Absolutely. Am I ready for it? No, I have too much life left to live

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 am

Mister Dark wrote:The trick is to read and learn everything in em before it all ends.
That's correct. Aside from maps, a bible, and maybe a small first aid manual or something similar it's totally impractical to carry a bunch of textbooks around with you. If you're in a bunker that's another matter.

The last thing on earth that'll be looted is books. I can't think of a more worthless commodity in a ZPAW. There are libraries everywhere. There isn't going to be some disasterous book shortage, and therefore there will be no "information shortage" besides current events. In fact most "hardcopies" will be better off used as toilet paper or firewood.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Abel

Post by Abel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:23 am

Glennbo wrote: The last thing on earth that'll be looted is books. I can't think of a more worthless commodity in a ZPAW. There are libraries everywhere. There isn't going to be some disasterous book shortage, and therefore there will be no "information shortage" besides current events. In fact most "hardcopies" will be better off used as toilet paper or firewood.
That was actually painful to read. As much as I love my gadgets and gizmos, books are a long-time love of mine. Recently graduated and currently unemployed, I have been visiting the local library to stave of the madness of boredom. Now, I cannot speak for every subject, but non-fiction survival books are extremely limited. Fiction novels were plentiful, on the other hand.

And it may just be me, but the very concept of using a book for TP or fuel strikes me as offensive. I understand that others may not feel the same, but the image of someone burning a book makes me sad and angry at the same time.

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:59 am

Abel wrote: And it may just be me, but the very concept of using a book for TP or fuel strikes me as offensive. I understand that others may not feel the same, but the image of someone burning a book makes me sad and angry at the same time.
I know how you feel. I hate it when small furry animals get run over by cars.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 am

Of course I'm ready! It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

Wait. What are we talking about again?
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:54 am

I have some hard copy, mostly related to food prep. I have some survival stuff on Kindle, which I can keep going for quite a long time with recharge off DC power. But some stuff, yeah I don't have it.

ETA: Considering we may have to bug-out, having both hard copy and Kindle is really the best idea I think. If you haven't used it...you can generally read a few novels without recharging it if you don't turn the wireless on.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:09 am

I dont onderstand why people on a prep forum are so resistant to the concept of NO POWER.
I also dont understand why they are so insistent that memorizing everything is enough.
What if your injured and need assistence, I hope you dont blackout if your having to talk someone through setting your own broken leg.

If we were talking water or food everyone would have supplies stocked, supplies for getting more, etc.
We are talking information so we dont need to prep for that.
That sounds a lot like "I dont need food, I will eat what I kill"

Hey I have an idea! Someone mentioned that you could just stroll down to the library and get whatever books you need. You just incorporate that into your trip to Walmart, you know, your BOL!

Any lights coming on yet?

Im not saying Im any better, this is an area I need work too. It was truely inspired the downtime. (and further by the lack of search)

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 am

Funny thing is I was typing that last post and realized that my hardcopies has a huge gap.
I have basic first aid training but I have no books on the subject.
I need more extensive training as well which is one of many gaps in my training preps.

SksScout

Post by SksScout » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:31 am

I have been slowly trying to add to my library, but I have a long way to go. I picked up "Nature's Garden" by Thayer this weekend. :)

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:41 am

Perhaps it's like that NCIS episode where the power was out.
All the younger folks were saying "this doesn't work, that isn't charged, how can I do the other without my ___?"

The older guy just reached into his drawer and bag and pulled out Polaroid cameras, pads of paper & pencils, etc. and they got on with it.
-
I know one can read 'books' on things like that Kindle(?) but I want a paper book in my hands. Had some of those books for 40 years, harder to have a computer virus and lose them all in 3 minutes. Don't rely on a battery, or need recharging. I have a library of real books, and a library of electronic books.

Backups, always backups.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:07 am

I have been prepping for decades. I have a wealth of books and hard copies of information. The newer stuff may at risk but I am not worried too much about the newer reference materials. If the power goes out I would have generation capacity for several days.

That said, no of course I am not ready nor will I ever ready to point where I would have arrogance to say "bring it on". If there were a vote on the subject you would hear me shouting "NO!" at the top of my lungs. :D

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”