I've discovered a brilliant way not to store rice

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: I've discovered a brilliant way not to store rice

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Believe me, if any mouse has been peeing, you'll smell it. It's strong like cat urine.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

yourkiller3
Favorite Zombie Movies: DoD 04
shaun of the dead
28 days/weeks later

Post by yourkiller3 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:22 pm

dropped by to share my $0.02 and say that as mice move around they constantly let out minute(very tiny) amounts of urine as a way to find their way back to their nest or a food source so boiling the rice would be a great idea.(their noses are as sensitive or more sensitive than a dogs<don't remember which>)
if you find anyhing mouse on it, rule of thumb is they've peed their too.
somewhat like mold in a bag of bread just cutting the mold off the end peice doesn't get rid of it because the mold spreads itself through particles in the air. which means the whole loaf is infected.

of course these are just things i learned from the discovery channel so you may want to check 'em out for yourselves.
YK3

zombiehuntress
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like them all, they are training films IMHO

Post by zombiehuntress » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:50 pm

I store in 1 gallon and half gallon glass pickle jars.

And check carefully for those "mouse turds". Sometimes they aren't really turds, they are just really toasted rice kernals. I nearly tossed 5 lbs of rice to my hogs when I noticed they were not really turds, just turd-like.
Braaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssss......

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 am

Sometimes there can be a few green kernels, too. They are just not quite as ripe, not spoiled or covered with something.
Here's a couple of nice FAQs about rice. http://www.lundberg.com/info/faq_general.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/rice/quality.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 am

Why does ZS Forum rock? This thread.
I got things to do this weekend with my rice storage.
Mylar and O2 absorbers in 5 gal buckets. All over it.
Very good!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dawger

Post by Dawger » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:56 pm

zombiehuntress wrote:I store in 1 gallon and half gallon glass pickle jars.

And check carefully for those "mouse turds". Sometimes they aren't really turds, they are just really toasted rice kernals. I nearly tossed 5 lbs of rice to my hogs when I noticed they were not really turds, just turd-like.
yep, the latest bag of rice had a bunch of brownish kernals (one looked like a shell of some sort) or other contaminants. At first, I thought they were more turds, but saw the difference. The first bag had what looked like turds.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I think I'll mark the rice from the one bag and keep for last use &/or trading. :twisted:

mad scientist

Post by mad scientist » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Dawger wrote:

yep, the latest bag of rice had a bunch of brownish kernals (one looked like a shell of some sort) or other contaminants. At first, I thought they were more turds, but saw the difference. The first bag had what looked like turds.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I think I'll mark the rice from the one bag and keep for last use &/or trading. :twisted:
Note to self: when bartering in the PAW - always assume the person is trading you their worst, mouse-turd laden rice in exchange for whatever it is you've stocked up as a barter item.
Last edited by mad scientist on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawger

Post by Dawger » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:24 pm

mad scientist wrote:
Dawger wrote:

Note to self: when batering in the PAW - always assume the person is trading you their worst, mouse-turd laden rice in exchange for whatever it is you've stocked up as a barter item.
I already took the turds out at least. :oops:

AnotherVersion

Post by AnotherVersion » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Dawger wrote:
mad scientist wrote:
Dawger wrote:

Note to self: when batering in the PAW - always assume the person is trading you their worst, mouse-turd laden rice in exchange for whatever it is you've stocked up as a barter item.
I already took the turds out at least. :oops:
See, now some of use would have traded a little more for "flavorings". Just don't tell them what kind of, er ...flavor... it is. 8)
Nationally Registered Paramedic, Fire Lieutenant

Primum Non Nocere
Omnes ad Unum
shrapnel wrote:The rest of you who aren't contributing anything, shut the fuck up and post in the chat thread if your life is really that lacking in fuckwittery.

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:17 am

Does no one vacum pack bags before storing????

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

Congratulations, new guy, you've received a card!

ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:28 am

Searching the site reveals there 569 posts on the subject of vacuum packing.

Myself? No, I no longer use a special 'air sucker' machine.
Just get as much out as possible and use oxy absorbers to get the air pockets.
-

mad scientist

Post by mad scientist » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeah, what ZG said: if you use oxygen absorbers, it will have the effect of "vacuum packing" the mylar. I haven't used a legit vacuum device though.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 pm

First of all a thank you to everyone who's shared their methods of storage (success's & failures), you make it a lot easier on the rest of us.

Today I pulled a couple bags of rice out of the freezer to put away & remembered that both my grandmother & MIL use bay leafs to deter bugs. So I grabbed the jar of bay leafs & after filling my bottles I added a leaf. Then I went & pulled my stored beans & rice out to inspect & add leafs to them. All were in good shape & many had sucked in as if packed in a vacuum. So I thought I'd share my somewhere between short & long term storage method.

I start with a clean plastic water bottle, we don't drink soda & I've found that the Smart Water bottles are of a pretty heavy plastic. I also use others including 1/2 gal. juice jugs. I stick with the smaller sizes because there's only two of us & it works better with our storage spaces.

After freezing the beans/rice for around a week I let them come up to room temp & pour them in the bottle leaving about 3/4" at the top.

Then I place the bottles in a cardboard box on it's side & set a hairdryer to blowing into the box. With the flaps mostly closed the temp inside the box will quickly rise up to 120-140 degrees.

Then after 30 to 40 min. I start pulling individual bottles out, adding the bay leaf (if I hadn't already), a small silica gel pack, & screw the cap down tight.

All that's left is to put them away, in my case that's a storage room in the basement where it stay's nice & cool with no direct sunlight.

If anyone sees a flaw with this method for 2 to 4 year storage please feel free to speak up (like that really needs to be said on the internet :wink: ). I'm always willing to hear some one out & learn something. For what it's worth several of the bottles I packed away over 6 months ago had a slight vacuum when I opened them today.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:39 am

elricfate wrote:Congratulations, new guy, you've received a card!

I am not sure if this is in responce to my post or not..I started out slow at prepping quite a while back.Buy a pound of this and a pound of that.I already had a Vacuum packer so that is what I used. The last time I checked things I saw no evidence of bugs in my items.So since no one can make a constuctive comment on my question I will just have to guess my things are OK...I dry a massive amount of foods each Spring Summer and Fall and a few things into the Winter all these item are Vacuum pack as well.I know the bags are expensive, so I try to buy them in bulk when I can.I am going to try the Mylar as I now buy Grains -Rice and Beans in bulk .Several years ago when I started this most people around me acted like I was a NUT, not so much anymore.I store my things in a basement or in a Rootcellar type place so they are most of the time under 60 degrees. The best I can read that will also help prolong their life span.I know a lot of my posts are short and that is due to me being a very slow at typeing. Sorry if my posts are short and to a point. I am very glad to have found this site and would like to thank all of the people who know how to really use a computer. All of the links that you provide a great, along with the longer and imfomative posts.I love to check this site everyday and see what else I can learn from it. I hope I can be of help in the futher and not just come here a draw information. Have a nice Day.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm sorry; I do not make long posts myself, so I answered what you asked.
I no longer use a Food Saver, and there is more information already posted on the site that I told you how to find.
If you use Google advance and put vacuum packing in the search and limit it to this site you will get 569 posts. More now, probably 572.

If you want a longer or more informative answer, please rephrase the question.
I haven't had my coffee yet - do I sound snippy?
Sorry about that, chief.
-

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 pm

I need to learn how to do the search thing ...Havnt been using a computer very long. Thanks

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”