Survival keychain

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:50 pm

Hahaha, you said the same thing to me. I tried that but I use the keys so often as well as the knife on my tool ring that having a rubber band there just gets in the way for me.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Why bring more, when you can take Les"

E&E belt kit thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77171

artyboy

Post by artyboy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Mine don't clang. In fact they don't really get in the way at all. I'm gonna have to go with Olaf on this one. A rubberband would be more of a nuisance than it's worth.

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:22 pm

I decided to go with two seperate "units" one is the original D ring with my keys, Pelican light, Gerber Clutch and Paracord. The other is my tool ring which has a smaller quick link, my CRKT KISS Tanto, rescue hook, prybar and hacksaw blade.

The reason I did this was on a single ring or even two connected to the same quick link it was too bulky. So I broke it down by type. I have my keys, a light source and a mini multi tool on the one which I cannot go anywhere without as my car/house keys are on it. The second has all the really useful/ "heavy duty" tools on it. I use the Tanto's built in pocket clip and it's aways nearby. With the small D ring on there I can connect it to anything else I might need to. (photos to come)

I am much happier with this setup however I will be looking for ways to further reduce bulk and weight i.e puting my own keyring tool on there to take the place of the prybar, hacksaw and rescue hook. Once I do that the tool ring will be much lighter and I can add other things as I will have freed up some space.

I still do not have a means to make fire, or a compass, whistle and a few other things but that will change. The whole thing has evolved a lot since I started working on this...what was it six months ago I think? I have better quality stuff and have gotten rid of a lot of things that were really quite superfluous. In the beginning I was just trying to think of everything I could cram on there. Soon after I found it was a pain in the ass and a lot of it I neither used nor could see myself using even in odd situations.

One thing I want to do is finish the design for a keyring mini axe type tool. It would consist of two parts, one would be the handle and of course the other would be the blade. It would be intended mostly for trapped situations (even a small axe can be extremely useful at those times believe me friends) but of course could be quite helpful in a wilderness survival situation. Of course I would add a few extra features to it besides just the blade that mounts on the handle but anyway I thought I would share that.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

TheQuickening

funny - I just decided to split them too.

Post by TheQuickening » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:05 am

But then, it was getting ridiculous. I decided I really had 2 different targets or scenarios in mind. I separated off the dangerous stuff for "urban survival" scenarios onto a larger (but still Aluminum) carabiner, like this - also itemizing weight and cost.

Basic Survival Keychain

* Leatherman Squirt, 2oz, $40
* Princeton Tec LED Light, .23oz, $4
* RadDetect PRD 1250, .9oz, $129
* black mini-BIC, .5oz, $1
* Whistle/Compass, .7oz, $6
* Benchmade Rescue Hook, 1.2oz, $18
* spring-wound wire saw, 1.6oz, $5
* Bison Al Capsule, .3oz, $3
* Buck 754 NRG Knife, 1.2oz, $15
* Micro Al Carabiner, .1oz, $3
* ___________________________________
* Total: 8.7oz $224

Urban Survival Keychain

* lightweight keychain knife, 1.5oz, $8
* Lock Pick Pro, ?, $27
* Red Laser, 1.3oz, $8
* Pepper Spray, .5oz, $12
* James Keating's Stinger, $10
* Doan Mg Firestarter, 1.5oz, $5
* Al Utility Carabiner, .5oz, $3
* ___________________________________
* Total: 6.3oz $73

course, still in flux. The 2nd keychain is nearby (backpack or car) just not in my pocket. "Adequate" carry-at-all-times would be having the tools to "macguyver" any normal situation. I expect tho when TSHTF, there will be lots of angry/desparate people to deal with. (If anyone's curious, the laser can be used to blind security cameras)

Again, pictures and links here: http://quickening.zapto.org/keychain.html.

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:07 am

The laser-security camera trick does not always work and besides, in any sort of PAW type situation who the fuck would care, there would be chaos? Many high end cameras now have internal filters that eliminate this weakness. Only older models (read 5 years or older) are succeptible to this technique, also just one laser will not blot out the entire image on the CCTV screen.

I would recommend you get steel biners, aluminum is a shitty metal for anything other than being light. It is soft as dog shit, deforms easily, has zero heat tolerance and isn't strong enough to be very useful. I've seen the expensive Al fig 8 descenders deform from friction heat after minimal use. You will never have that problem with steel (even crappy steel is far superior).

However in all likelihood you will only use it to attach the keys to a pack/yourself so it does not really matter I'm just anal about these things.

About your picks, they will only be useful to you if you practice with them and become proficient in their use. I am fortunate that it comes naturally but it is still a perishable skill. It is like owning a firearm, just because a person has a weapon does not mean they can hit what they aim at. Nor does it mean they have the mindset to use it to defend themselves or that they could handle the stress of a combat situation. So my point being it is good you have tools that could enable you to get in/out of someplace (only if you must) in an emergency just make sure you practice with them until you are confident in your ability.

A few tips about this, I found that as it is a touch oriented skill I always practiced with a bilndfold. For me it emphasized the sensations in my hands and I learned much faster because of it.

By far the most effecient means I have found is the raking method. This is where you use either a rake pick or a ball/double ball (figure 8 ) pick and and you rake the pins. This is a simple pulling method where you insert the pick all the way to the back of the cylinder and then pull it....in and out of the keyway.

One other thing, the amount of tension you have on the torque wrench is critical to this skill. If you use too much pressure or not enough you will never pop the lock. Always remember to reset the cylinder after each raking pass (or whatever method you use) this way you don't waste your time while one or more pins are loaded.

There is more I could cover but unless you want a class on emergency entry techniques at Z Con I'll leave this as it is. I don't feel like my posts being deleted. I must point out that I do not encourage any illegal activity and that owning picks in almost all states unless you are a LEO/locksmith/EMS it is quite illegal and can get you in a lot of trouble (speaking from experience). Neither does ZS condone or promote any illegal activity, so if the above content is too...much for the form let me know and I will take out those portions of this post.

Anyway on topic again I will have some new photos of my stuff in a few days or less. I've taken the pictures already but need to wait until I can use a PC where I can upload and sort them out.

Who would be interested in a keyring sized single piece tool with multiple features?

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:46 pm

Ok this is a double post as there is only slight moderate interest in the topic but thanks to those who do participate.

I added to my tool ring recently, new items are my CRKT KISS Tanto, a mini quick link, a second metal cutting hacksaw blade and a wood cutting blade. I still need a small file, a shove knife and a sharpener. The sharpener I have but I don't have any drill bits that can bite into the thing as they are all dull so that will have to wait.

Here are a couple photos I took an hour ago of how it is now.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:55 pm

You don't keep the rubber band wrapped around it all the time, only when you are trying to be sneaky. Otherwise you just wrap it around the least used tool or key.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:05 pm

The only times I need to be sneaky is when I explore buildings I ought not to. Then I don't take the keys, instead it's a regular multi tool and my usual kit.

But the rubber band thing could work as long as it's of the wide type.

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:54 pm

Update

I added a few new items to the tool ring. One is the first prototype of my O-Wrench, this one is made just for me and things I use personally. I'll be coming out with a similar model when I figure out what sizes people would find useful. Right now it only has 3 socket sizes and a finger ring. Before I needed an adjustable wrench or one of three different solid state wrenches for the different tasks. So I just made something new, now I have a 3 in one tool that stays on my keys.

Other stuff I added-

2. test cutters to evaluate usefullness, if they are handy I'll make a custom set

3. thin metal ruler, very crude but it's just to remind me to make something custom

4. thin blade of spring steel differentially tempered for edge retention and the body is flexible.

5. carbide sharpener

I'll upload photos in a day or so

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:09 pm

Ok here we are, for the two or three of you who follow this I finally got those photos. I added a small blade, a mini ruler, a carbide sharpener, a makeshift (but very functional) shove knife, a pair of cutters and my custom made O-wrench. The wrench I cut out myself, shaped the sockets and drilled the finger hole/loop for the key ring.

Here is all of the stuff as it is now, from 12 going clockwise is the shove knife, cutter, CRKT Tanto, carbide sharpener, prybar, ruler, two metal cutting hacksaw blades, custom made mini blade, wood saw and then the O-wrench.

On it's side

The O-wrench, the next incarnation I make will have more features and will replace the chisel prybar on my tool ring which will free up a lot of space. The prybar is the thickest item by far.

The cutters, temporary till I make something more suited. The were twice this length when I started, I cut the handles down, drilled the hole in the one and cut the side slot in the other so they can close when on the keyring.

Here is the carbide sharpener, I also had to cut this in half and drill a new hole.

The blade I made out of spring steel and then heat treated. The edge is harder to hold an edge, the rest is soft and very springy tough.

Gives you an idea of size, bear in mind though I don't have the largest hands in the world.

My daily carry keychain items, I was tired of having everything on one key ring. Also several of the items on my tool ring are newly added. If I tried to put all this crap on one ring not only would it not all fit, what would fit would make it huge. When the weight is distributed I hardly notice it. I like having the different things on different rings, makes it easier to find what I am looking for and they are sorted by "class".

Left to right, little pelican light and Gerber Clutch, keychain with rescue hook and paracord, keys and screw drivers, then the tool ring with all the featured items listed above.

Last edited by olaf_yahoo on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:30 pm

the_klenzer wrote:Olaf, got a picture?

This is my keychain:
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/154/230
DUDE! I have a Buck Metro for MY keychain! THe orange one even! I ended up taking it off though, cuz it got too bulky with my XL ring with my keys.

Does the bottle opener work? I havent used it yet.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:35 pm

DUDE! ...........What? :D

I have no idea friend, I have never owned one of those. I will tell you however that the bottle opener on the Benchmade rescue hook SUCKS ASS. I tried several dozen times to open simple bottles, I succeeded ONCE using great force, left impressions in my hand for a full day.

Anyway no I don't have one of those, I have handled them though. I have not purchased one because while by themselves they are slim, when it comes to my keychain or tool ring it would add a lot of bulk. Also the blade on them is rather whimpy for their size and of no name steel, not something I like. They look handy though so keep it around, you might need it for something.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:24 am

I was talking to Klenzer, but its good to know that your BM works well!
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:15 am

Is that bullshit meter?

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:56 pm

So, olaf, can you give a rundown on how much use each tool actually gets?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Well the O-wrench, CRKT and shove knife make themselves useful on a regular basis. The other stuff is there if I do need them, this wasn't put together for every day stuff although that is a choice. I made it for odd times I might need things, the carbide sharpener or the wood saw may not get used for a long time, but I have them. The majority of stuff on here is very slim, when I make the next gen O tool I will be able to get rid of my chisel tip prybar and the ruler which will reduce more weight and free up space.

The wrench I use several times a week on average, the CRKT is always seeing action and the shove knife is there in place of my picks. It looks unusual but I doubt there are many people who could look at it and immediately see what it is. Which is why I cut it out of a saw blade instead of mounting one of the commercially made pieces I have.

The next generation of O-wrench will have the same size sockets, a graduated ruler, sharks jaw bottle opener (my own term) and a prying tip. I'll make the next one out of 440C or D2 tool steel. Should be ready in a few weeks give or take. I still have to rely on the same guy to do my waterjet stuff and he teaches classes at the local college so he stays busy.

undeaddeadguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by undeaddeadguy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:29 pm

The pocket sized B.O.B, what a great idea olaf! Collecting and making stuff for the survival keychain also sounds like a nice hobby. Just two things:

1) If you carry that on your person at all times, couldn't that be dangerous? The blades might qualify as a concealed weapon.

2) Is this ment to be carried on your belt or in your pocket?

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:37 pm

The CRKT has a blade of 2 1/8" which is very small and quite legal where I am. The mini blade on the tool ring is even smaller, especially when you consider the actual cutting edge is only an inch long.

For me it is an in the pocket or inside the pants thing (yea I'm serious). If hanging outside the pants, outside of pockets it would bang around all over the place and make a lot of racket, unless you do like Jamoni wisely suggested and wrap it in a big rubber band. Not the first concern but haning out like that it would get you some stares and look a tad silly.

The tool ring is still in it's infancy, when it is complete all the items will either be custom made or commercially bought. The only things I can see that I will not make myself is the CRKT (which I might replace) and the carbide sharpener. All of the rest I can do myself.

Upcoming related projects-

Wallet survival kit
Urban survival harness
Finished S.E.T
Personal Altoids can surival kit

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”