It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 pm 

Old thread, but a gold mine to stumble across :D . We've added these generators to our Homemade Generators category: Gyoas759's generator, Broken1's generator, toecutter's generator. So far we only display a reduced-size photo of the build (like what you would find in Google Images). If any of you guys are willing to grant permission, I'd like to add the original fullsize images with your build listing.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:55 am 

way cool!!

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

homemadetools wrote:
Old thread, but a gold mine to stumble across :D . We've added these generators to our Homemade Generators category: Gyoas759's generator, Broken1's generator, toecutter's generator. So far we only display a reduced-size photo of the build (like what you would find in Google Images). If any of you guys are willing to grant permission, I'd like to add the original fullsize images with your build listing.

Technically the posters should give their permission since you are using it with advertising. I suggest that you contact each OP via PM.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:33 am 

I would think if your engine is large enough, it would be possible to run multiple alternators at once

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am 

You can use my pics, but that thing is a death trap. I've moved a couple times since then and somewhere along the way I lost that thing. :( Now I should build a better, more dangerous one.

My new place should be the last stop for a long while I will have to do good job, perhaps slightly less hazardous and more stable...

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Stoppard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:55 pm 

I just found this thread in the "Hall Of Fame" section and even though the last post was over three years ago I thought I should stick my oar in.

What would you think of using a recycled UPS rather than an inverter? I picked up an APC Smart UPS 650 for $5 at a church "Yard" sale, the battery was dead but when we lost power this winter I hooked it up (after removing the internal battery) to the battery in my car and used it to charge my Ryobi batteries and some rechargable AA and AAA that I had. It is rated for 650VA/450watts and since it is designed for computers the power output should be fairly clean.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:09 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Sterling1961 wrote:
I just found this thread in the "Hall Of Fame" section and even though the last post was over three years ago I thought I should stick my oar in.

What would you think of using a recycled UPS rather than an inverter? I picked up an APC Smart UPS 650 for $5 at a church "Yard" sale, the battery was dead but when we lost power this winter I hooked it up (after removing the internal battery) to the battery in my car and used it to charge my Ryobi batteries and some rechargable AA and AAA that I had. It is rated for 650VA/450watts and since it is designed for computers the power output should be fairly clean.

Sounds like an interesting project! Here are some resources to get you started:

And also:
https://hackaday.com/2012/04/09/ups-with-dead-batteries-reborn-as-a-whole-house-power-backup/
http://www.instructables.com/id/12V-Power-inverter-from-old-UPS-unit/

If you follow through on this, please report back to us; we love us a good prepping-related tutorial. With pictures or it didn't happen! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I agree. It should work within the limitations of the inverter capacity. I don't know about the long term durability of the unit but for the price it is sure worth trying.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5