Build your own Emergency Generator

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

homemadetools

Re: Build your own Emergency Generator

Post by homemadetools » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 pm

Old thread, but a gold mine to stumble across :D . We've added these generators to our Homemade Generators category: Gyoas759's generator, Broken1's generator, toecutter's generator. So far we only display a reduced-size photo of the build (like what you would find in Google Images). If any of you guys are willing to grant permission, I'd like to add the original fullsize images with your build listing.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:55 am

way cool!!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 am

homemadetools wrote:Old thread, but a gold mine to stumble across :D . We've added these generators to our Homemade Generators category: Gyoas759's generator, Broken1's generator, toecutter's generator. So far we only display a reduced-size photo of the build (like what you would find in Google Images). If any of you guys are willing to grant permission, I'd like to add the original fullsize images with your build listing.
Technically the posters should give their permission since you are using it with advertising. I suggest that you contact each OP via PM.

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:33 am

I would think if your engine is large enough, it would be possible to run multiple alternators at once

Broken1

Post by Broken1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am

You can use my pics, but that thing is a death trap. I've moved a couple times since then and somewhere along the way I lost that thing. :( Now I should build a better, more dangerous one.

My new place should be the last stop for a long while I will have to do good job, perhaps slightly less hazardous and more stable...
Broken1

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Stoppard

Sterling1961

Post by Sterling1961 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:55 pm

I just found this thread in the "Hall Of Fame" section and even though the last post was over three years ago I thought I should stick my oar in.

What would you think of using a recycled UPS rather than an inverter? I picked up an APC Smart UPS 650 for $5 at a church "Yard" sale, the battery was dead but when we lost power this winter I hooked it up (after removing the internal battery) to the battery in my car and used it to charge my Ryobi batteries and some rechargable AA and AAA that I had. It is rated for 650VA/450watts and since it is designed for computers the power output should be fairly clean.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Sterling1961 wrote:I just found this thread in the "Hall Of Fame" section and even though the last post was over three years ago I thought I should stick my oar in.

What would you think of using a recycled UPS rather than an inverter? I picked up an APC Smart UPS 650 for $5 at a church "Yard" sale, the battery was dead but when we lost power this winter I hooked it up (after removing the internal battery) to the battery in my car and used it to charge my Ryobi batteries and some rechargable AA and AAA that I had. It is rated for 650VA/450watts and since it is designed for computers the power output should be fairly clean.
Sounds like an interesting project! Here are some resources to get you started:

And also:
https://hackaday.com/2012/04/09/ups-wit ... er-backup/
http://www.instructables.com/id/12V-Pow ... -UPS-unit/

If you follow through on this, please report back to us; we love us a good prepping-related tutorial. With pictures or it didn't happen! :wink:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 pm

I agree. It should work within the limitations of the inverter capacity. I don't know about the long term durability of the unit but for the price it is sure worth trying.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”