Most Likely SHTF Event

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

How do you think the SHTF will happen?

Zombie Apocalypse (or close to)
3%
Virus
8%
Economic Collapse
50%
War (National/Global)
5%
Natural Disaster (Comet, yellowstone..etc)
18%
Terrorism
7%
Other
4%
Never gunna Happen
6%

Total votes: 217

stefan2004

Most Likely SHTF Event

Post by stefan2004 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 pm

So guys 'n' gals, we're all preparing for the shtf, but how do you think it will occur?

While disasters do happen (like katrina, 9/11..etc) this question is for National/Global level.
Last edited by stefan2004 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Re: Most Likely SHTF Event

Post by sql_yoda » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:47 pm

There is no "I don't think it will happen" option?

Richter

Post by Richter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm

while they all could happen, I think that an economic collapse is the most likely and honestly the most brutal of all because it could take years to go back to normal. Now, I think that no matter what, if any of these were to happen, the world will eventually go back to normal, except for a nuclear holocaust... we could all die from that....

just my .02

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:40 pm

sql_yoda wrote:There is no "I don't think it will happen" option?
I'm going with this as my write-in vote.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:37 pm

I'd have to say natural disaster. They're all possible but natural disasters happen on various scales all the time. It's probably only a matter of time before a major one hits this part of the world.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

dltrammel

Post by dltrammel » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:49 pm

There is no "I don't think it will happen" option?
While I'm of a mind that economic collapse is going to happen long term (30+ years or more), I'll agree with others for true SHTF on to the "I don't think it will happen" option.

Re-edit your poll and add that option.

Now my second choice would be a really bad flu, ala 1918, but even that would be gotten over in a few years.
Luck Favors The Bold, Chance Favors The Prepared.

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote:
sql_yoda wrote:There is no "I don't think it will happen" option?
I'm going with this as my write-in vote.
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

Defunct

Post by Defunct » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Natural Disaster

I've been in a couple situations where weather has left me unable to leave my home for a few days. A flood in 1997 I think it was, about 5+ feet of water over the road leaving 3 feet of mud on the road when it receded. Recently an ice storm and massive snow covered the road for three days before it was cleared.

Neither are anyway near what I would call SHTF. However, I find natural phenomena far more likely than a zombie outbreak, but no where near as fun to think about.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 pm

OP - Please accept my apology. If Finch is quoting me, then I fear I may have been snarkier than intended. :)
While I truly don't expect any of the listed events to have the "National/Global" repercussions within any sort of realistic timeframe, the list is still relevant. At a more local/personal level, I expect to face Economic Collapse, Natural Disaster, and Virus - in that order.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Poll is edited to include a 'not gonna happen' option, that's the one I picked 'cause well, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

It's like the reason I lock my door when I go out; I don't think in a million years anyone is going to want to break into my dinky little apartment and steal any of my entirely worthless crap... but I still want to do whatever I can to prevent it, and be ready for it if I happen to come home during a burglary.

Beanhead

Post by Beanhead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 pm

protip folks:

They are all going to happen. All it takes is enough time.cept' for zombies, runs and hides...
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:22 pm

I would say either
A) Large-Scale Natural disaster
B) Terrorism and Economic Disaster, either supplementary to eachother, or cause and effect.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35 pm

It will occur when some little turd shows up at my front door to ask my daughter out. i'm talking thermonuclear my man.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

LemmeHitYa

Post by LemmeHitYa » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:46 pm

wagdhead wrote:It will occur when some little turd shows up at my front door to ask my daughter out. i'm talking thermonuclear my man.
:lol:

I vote economic. People with worthless money in the bank, hot tempers, and idle hands...

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 pm

No AOTA? 8)
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:09 pm

In my locale, it's most likely "natural disaster". Either a hurricane or a particularly nasty Nor' Easter.

Close runner up is "Economic". Plenty of folks around here on welfare due to the current economy. If this state goes tits-up and the checks stop coming, a lot of folks are going to be desperate.
Last edited by rhi on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 pm

War, famine, disease, economic, natural and supernatural disaster.

Read your bibles, its all spelled out for ya.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm not voting for "It's not gonna happen" even if it was a poll option.

S H's TF all the time, and for lots of reasons. SHTF is INEVITABLE for most of us. Our job is to figure out how that S is gonna HTF beforehand in the most likely possible way. The most common ways SHTF happen are personally. Job loss, cancer, other medical problems, addiction, foreclosure, marital disturbance. These are all things that can fuck up a life royally. These are the SHTFs that we all need to prepare for ABOVE ALL OTHER POSSIBLE SCENARIOS.

See my thread in Personal Experiences about debt. If you're in debt, paying interest, and are buying preps on credit card, then you're exacerbating the shit that is actively hitting your personal fan to prepare for shit that hasn't even happened yet. DUMB.

This thread isn't titled "How will everything collapse?", it's called, "Most likely SHTF event", in which case I want to cast 2 votes. The most likely regional and global SHTF right now is world war/economic. Those, in these times and in this case, are one in the same right now.

Everything will probably not collapse from day-to-day. Everything may collapse in the future. Ignoring the things that can collapse on specifically YOU day-to-day in favor of preparing (are some of us hoping? Really?) for the end of society is foolhardy.

Harden the fuck up. If your shit ain't strong pre-PAW, and you're preparing for the PAW in the hopes that everything will end so you don't have to function in this current wonderful, shitty, dishonest, convenient, annoying, luxurious, hateful world is always foolhardy.

Yes, shit will hit the fan with all of us, independently and frequently. Likely, at some point, shit will hit the fan regionally with a bunch of us at the same time. Probably, shit will hit the fan nationally or globally at least once in our lifetime, but it will not be in the way we think it may (or hope, really?) happen, and we'll probably need less guns and more income when it does.

That's all I got. Always try to beat back your personal zombie horde before you prepare for the zombies that ain't risen yet.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

stefan2004

Post by stefan2004 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:I'm not voting for "It's not gonna happen" even if it was a poll option.

S H's TF all the time, and for lots of reasons. SHTF is INEVITABLE for most of us. Our job is to figure out how that S is gonna HTF beforehand in the most likely possible way. The most common ways SHTF happen are personally. Job loss, cancer, other medical problems, addiction, foreclosure, marital disturbance. These are all things that can fuck up a life royally. These are the SHTFs that we all need to prepare for ABOVE ALL OTHER POSSIBLE SCENARIOS.

See my thread in Personal Experiences about debt. If you're in debt, paying interest, and are buying preps on credit card, then you're exacerbating the shit that is actively hitting your personal fan to prepare for shit that hasn't even happened yet. DUMB.

This thread isn't titled "How will everything collapse?", it's called, "Most likely SHTF event", in which case I want to cast 2 votes. The most likely regional and global SHTF right now is world war/economic. Those, in these times and in this case, are one in the same right now.

Everything will probably not collapse from day-to-day. Everything may collapse in the future. Ignoring the things that can collapse on specifically YOU day-to-day in favor of preparing (are some of us hoping? Really?) for the end of society is foolhardy.

Harden the fuck up. If your shit ain't strong pre-PAW, and you're preparing for the PAW in the hopes that everything will end so you don't have to function in this current wonderful, shitty, dishonest, convenient, annoying, luxurious, hateful world is always foolhardy.

Yes, shit will hit the fan with all of us, independently and frequently. Likely, at some point, shit will hit the fan regionally with a bunch of us at the same time. Probably, shit will hit the fan nationally or globally at least once in our lifetime, but it will not be in the way we think it may (or hope, really?) happen, and we'll probably need less guns and more income when it does.

That's all I got. Always try to beat back your personal zombie horde before you prepare for the zombies that ain't risen yet.
Vicarious, spot on bud

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Wow. Awesome post, Vicarious_Lee. I have little to add, other than to say, "Well, said."

Debt, Job Loss, these sort of zombies are far more likely and far more pervasive than the sort of TEOTWAWKI kind with which a lot of folks spend so much time planning to handle. Hell, debt alone is a major threat for far too many people. Most Americans have less than one paycheck's worth of money in the bank. :(

These are the sort of threats about which we should all be concerned.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:00 am

elkhills wrote:War, famine, disease, economic, natural and supernatural disaster.

Read your bibles, its all spelled out for ya.
Only got the one single copy myself.

And can't really decide if that's the book to consult. Got a Quaran sitting next to it on the shelf...

Luckily, apocalyptictal events tends to be prepped for by the same means. So I'm prepping as best as I can, come what may come.

Zombies would give me a lot of "told you so"-points though. :lol:
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

SamuraiBobX26
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive

Post by SamuraiBobX26 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:53 am

dukman wrote:No AOTA? 8)
Thats my remark. :) I just plan for a little of everyting and I figure I will only come out slightly behind.
A Sword may be sharp, but a keen mind is sharper.

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:17 am

I'm thinking EMP attack. Could be an act of war or sophisticated terrorism.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Lionheart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead both the original and remake, 28 days later and 28 weeks later, the first night of the living dead, Planet Terror and even though technically i got it in an audio book world war z.

Post by Lionheart » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:31 am

wagdhead wrote:It will occur when some little turd shows up at my front door to ask my daughter out. i'm talking thermonuclear my man.

+100 :x
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Al Swearengen

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”