1st Annual Gasoline Rotation: Lessons learned

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dooms

Re: 1st Annual Gasoline Rotation: Lessons learned

Post by Dooms » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Halfapint wrote:
I'm getting 2 55gal steel drums to use for fuel storage. I'm only going to fill up a single one at this time just to see how much I go through (mostly for my tractor, but could also be for the truck). I will only be storing diesel in these. I currently use the red Sta-bil for my gas, can I use that in the diesel? Or do I need to buy the more expensive diesel additive?
You're going to want to go with a diesel stabilizer. Gasoline and Diesel have very different issues chemically with long term storage. For example, there is a form of algea that can grow in diesel but will not grow in gasoline, so a diesel stabilizer will contain a biocide additive.

SteelWolf

Re: 1st Annual Gasoline Rotation: Lessons learned

Post by SteelWolf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Halfapint wrote:Image

I'm getting 2 55gal steel drums to use for fuel storage. I'm only going to fill up a single one at this time just to see how much I go through (mostly for my tractor, but could also be for the truck). I will only be storing diesel in these. I currently use the red Sta-bil for my gas, can I use that in the diesel? Or do I need to buy the more expensive diesel additive?
If you plan to use an additive I would use the Diesel specific.

I am curious to see your results as I will soon be buying a tractor and want to store fuel for it!
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”