Long Term Water Treatment

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Long Term Water Treatment

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

landser

Post by landser » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:44 pm

There was a news article the other day on water treatment in africa. It was very simple to say the least and very effective. they took simple water bottles you would get at the store and fill them up from there water source and lay them on a peice of black tin in the sun in 6 hours the uv radiation killed all the bugs. So..... if its giardia or crypto sporidium and bacteria I think you are good to go the article showed a picture of about thirty bottles just lying in the sun. I wish i knew where the news article was i would link it.
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 pm

landser wrote:There was a news article the other day on water treatment in africa. It was very simple to say the least and very effective. they took simple water bottles you would get at the store and fill them up from there water source and lay them on a peice of black tin in the sun in 6 hours the uv radiation killed all the bugs. So..... if its giardia or crypto sporidium and bacteria I think you are good to go the article showed a picture of about thirty bottles just lying in the sun. I wish i knew where the news article was i would link it.
UV can indeed kill biological contaminants, however it does not do a ting to deal deal with issues like arsenic, pesticides and similar contaminants.

navarre1095

Post by navarre1095 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:29 pm

landser wrote:There was a news article the other day on water treatment in africa. It was very simple to say the least and very effective. they took simple water bottles you would get at the store and fill them up from there water source and lay them on a peice of black tin in the sun in 6 hours the uv radiation killed all the bugs. So..... if its giardia or crypto sporidium and bacteria I think you are good to go the article showed a picture of about thirty bottles just lying in the sun. I wish i knew where the news article was i would link it.
This is called the SODIS method if I am not mistaken.
WT4 Water Treatment license
DSL Distribution System (Large) license
ASO Industrial Waste Water license
NIMS 700

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=51917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disaster Plan for Water Customers
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=50970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

navarre1095

Post by navarre1095 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Blacksmith, what is the soil composition like near the creek?
NIMS 700

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=51917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=50970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Bumping this awesome thread, because as the recent disaster in Japan has illustrated, clean water is paramount to preparedness.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

mcwes3

Post by mcwes3 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:17 pm

I've got a question. I have an opportunity to by the big blue drums at a great price. At this point, I don't know what was originally in them. Is there a surefire way of sterilizing/neutralizing their interior? Thanks guys.

john1969

Post by john1969 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 am

good info.....thanks!
Jetico BC Wipe

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 am

mcwes3 wrote:I've got a question. I have an opportunity to by the big blue drums at a great price. At this point, I don't know what was originally in them. Is there a surefire way of sterilizing/neutralizing their interior? Thanks guys.
The blue plastic drums are primarily used for food or food grade materials. A good rinse-out and then some strong bleach water (to sterilize) should do all you need to. Get a whiff of the interior (be careful- don't just shove your face into it and start huffing) to see if you smell anything "off" from what you were expecting. ANYTHING can be cleaned up, but the question becomes, "How much do I want to spend; in time, effort, and money, in cleaning this thing up?" Also, as far as food safety goes, sometimes the cleanup can be more dangerous than the original problem. Which just leads to another clean up step...

In short, check the barrels out before purchasing, if at all possible. If buying sight unseen, ask some questions- if the seller doesn't want to answer them, he doesn't want to sell them too badly, or he has something to hide. Get as much information as possible beforehand, and if it seems hinky, pass on it- there are TONS of these things out there, at lots of people have them at good prices.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

ReKill
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, new Dawn of the Dead

Post by ReKill » Wed May 04, 2011 8:38 am

I've read through this a few times and have a question about the sand filter. Maybe I'm being stupid or blind, but I understand it as you assemble everything and have to wait two weeks for the biofilm to form before you can drink out of it. So then the water that was in there needs to be drained out? Or you need to run a few more gallons thru it to get actual good water thru? Or how do you know when its A-OK? This is the only part I'm hung up on... :oops:
“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
Douglas Adams

navarre1095

Post by navarre1095 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 pm

before the biofilm forms you will have to disinfect the water before drinking it. DO NOT add disinfectants to the filter!
NIMS 700

ReKill
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, new Dawn of the Dead

Post by ReKill » Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am

Ok, gotcha. Thank you sir
“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
Douglas Adams

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 am

adleymarie wrote:Your post is very nice and useful. Thanks for sharing this long term water treatment post. Your post is very useful for us.

Water Treatment
And to think that spambots are supposed to be getting more sophisticated .... :roll:

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”