It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

WendyPlains wrote:
Oops, sorry about that, I didn't realize! I can post some pictures of my food pantry, if I can figure out how to upload them to this site..... :D

No worries, the food storage discussion thread started because the pics tended to provoke conversation! The thread that ZombieGranny linked is the best place to pop in with random questions, we will happily chat your ear off about food storage related stuff there.

Now - pics!!!

My husband decided to build me shelves that would go around the water storage barrels! There will be 2 of them, the other is still outside. They are not yet filled (need to be cleaned!) and I am going to cover them by putting a curtain rod with curtains over them, and possible the other shelves as well. That's my laundry room, there's a drain in the center of it, and nothing on the floor that won't handle a brief soaking, in case of catastrophic failure.

And now, some of the things I may put on those shelves (unless I decide there's a better place for them!) Why, yes, I have been on a couple of trips to the LDS cannery, how ever did you guess? And the buckets are all sugar, except for the little one on top, which is salt.

I'm not posting any other pics because my food storage is in, ah, disarray... yeah, we'll call it disarray, sound so much better than looks like a tornado hit it. Will post when I finally some day get it straightened up!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm 

slannesh wrote:

where did you get those pumps and the barrel wrench?

http://arizonabarrels.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 am 

Do you see the 17 linear feet of floor to ceiling food storage in this room at casual glance ? I hope not : ) What I want the average person to see is simply a walk in closet but the back (left side of photo ) full length rack pushes aside to walk into a larger area of food and supply storage . Nothing was done structurally , it breaks down back into a 10 x 10 room in under an hour . Kills two birds with one stone storing my dress wardrobe and concealed storage .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:03 am 

This is about 1/3 of my dry goods. The ones without oxys are sugar, salt and baking soda. Tried to keep the same mix of goods all the way through. :crazy:

Just for reference there is 650 pounds in there now and I can get about 10 more bags in there for 700 pounds. Just for me. my dog wont touch the stuff. I bought the pellet gun so he can eat. :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:03 pm 

Some wine i put up during the spring. These are all fine wines, 2 different Cabs, a Rosso, a Barollo, a Chard, and a Reisling. Spent a few years in Napa and Sonoma so I know what im doing. 144 bottles next to the dining table. I also funded a full fruit wine set up thats in mothball for the ZA. These have gone up against the better ones in blind and double blind tastings. I know how to vint great wines. Oddly enough I dont drink wine. gave out a few cases to family that didnt fit in the racks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

So, when your chest freezer decides to die while you're on vacation - what happens when you come home? This...

Canned ground turkey, canned ground beef, canned chicken breast, canned pork loin, canned corned beef, chili, white bean sausage chicken "chili", canned fish, and canned black raspberry jam. (The berries were always going to be jam, they were in the freezer til I had time...) Not pictured - dehydrated red pepper slices.

It is KEY to note that the food, while thawed was still COLD - like, refrigerator cold - when I found it, therefore it was not safe to re-freeze, but safe for me to throw in the working refrigerator, and then turn around and can it promptly.

I did throw out about 1 kitchen trash bag of stuff that couldn't be canned or eaten before it went off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Wow, you were a busy girl! Sorry you had to have a forced canning session though.

In spirit of this being a 'pics thread' Here are some carrots I canned last weekend. Aldi have an amazing sale!
In all 7 quarts and 10 pints were canned.
[url=Image[/url]

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am 

I got my mylar bags, O2 absorbers.... just waiting on my food order:
50# corn meal
50# rolled oats
25# lentils

I also got 6 #10 cans of refried bean flakes.

All food ordered through Honeyville farms. So 125#+ shipped for $4.49 :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm 

Getting started again....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:33 am 

I really need to get in here and sort this out...

The only bit thats organised is due to my great FIFO can rotators (that are currently funding on Kickstarter, hint hint!)...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 am 

mattltm wrote:

The only bit thats organised is due to my great FIFO can rotators (that are currently funding on Kickstarter, hint hint!)...

Sorry no pic. just wanted to say that you should put up that kickstarter link

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:59 am 

xLionx wrote:
Sorry no pic. just wanted to say that you should put up that kickstarter link

I'll put it up but I'm ready for a slap on the wrist from the mods! :P

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mat ... an-rotator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:58 am 

Girlfriend and I have been working on our pantry in the basement for the last couple weeks, room was a junk room basically when we started. Now we must get to work stocking it and adding a lot more water.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 pm 

Ya'll have some fantastic food prep/storage spaces. I'm just getting started with mine, but I am getting some fantastic ideas about some things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm 

2014 is off to a good start: < $50 in materials (pt wood and screws), and about 2 hours of time, all told. It took a bit longer than expected actually, but that is due to my spare screw gun battery giving up the ghost and not telling anyone about it :vmad:

Yep, you're looking at 2.5 tons of potential food storage space. Well, if I were to store lead in those totes that is. Seems they're rated to 500lbs a piece. Yikes! :shock:

It's been on my 'to-so' list for quite some time. Glad I was able to knock it out so easily. It'll fit 10 totes total. There's space beside it for more, thought it'll probably end up with water barrels there. Not sure yet. The basement space is limited by all the plumbing, duct work and gas lines running all over the place.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:29 pm 

Wow, these are impressive! I need to organize my food storage!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:19 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

SmallFry wrote:
2014 is off to a good start: < $50 in materials (pt wood and screws), and about 2 hours of time, all told. It took a bit longer than expected actually, but that is due to my spare screw gun battery giving up the ghost and not telling anyone about it :vmad:

Yep, you're looking at 2.5 tons of potential food storage space. Well, if I were to store lead in those totes that is. Seems they're rated to 500lbs a piece. Yikes! :shock:

It's been on my 'to-so' list for quite some time. Glad I was able to knock it out so easily. It'll fit 10 totes total. There's space beside it for more, thought it'll probably end up with water barrels there. Not sure yet. The basement space is limited by all the plumbing, duct work and gas lines running all over the place.

Ty for the pics from the different angles so I can see how they're made. Can makes me own now when we get a bigger place in July. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm 

In June 2010 I posted a picture of 24 MRE's. Not a ton of progress in the time that's passed but I'm happy. And I finally got enough shelf space assembled for all of it. There's an assortment of different types of food as far as length of storage.

Heks wrote:
engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:18 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:42 pm 

I feel so unprepared after looking at these pics!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 pm 

One of the only places I can store food is in an outdoor shed. It's not insulated so it gets hot in the summer. I'm concerned about long term food storage having it's shelf life cut in half, or more, by the heat.

Anyone have some suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Skuldugary wrote:
One of the only places I can store food is in an outdoor shed. It's not insulated so it gets hot in the summer. I'm concerned about long term food storage having it's shelf life cut in half, or more, by the heat.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Wrong place for your question. Start up a new thread in the Contingency Planning & Prep forum and some of the folks with more experience can help you out with that. I haven't run into that issue yet, so I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:59 pm 

I love this thread! I probably posted earlier but I've since reorganized a little bit.

I can't get a good overall shot because the room is kind of full but it's similar to what others are doing. I'm only planning for 2 humans and 2 dogs.

I've gone through everything and stamped the stuff with an expiration date! I need to label my shelves as well but for now I have things grouped according to usage, and how my mind works.

Here is what my items look like now with my stamp gun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next