PAW Entertainment

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lanarchy

PAW Entertainment

Post by Lanarchy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:38 pm

What are you going to do for entertainment in a PAW?

Personally, I have, at least, a deck of cards with naked ladies on them in my BOB. Now THAT'S entertainment!

What will you have with you, or what will you come up with to keep yourself from going out of your mind.

Either alone, or with other 'survivors'. Both scenarios

Finch

Re: PAW Entertainment

Post by Finch » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm

troll zombie squad.

real answer....

read read read.

then sleep.

possable do some unspeakable things :)
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

BearBait
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead

Post by BearBait » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:49 pm

Sharpen my knives :twisted:
"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"

man in black
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
return of the living dead
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by man in black » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:51 pm

i think that in the paw survivor communities would plausibly make a return to live theatre.
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- my tumblr

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:57 pm

That's one of the reasons that I think musical instruments are never a bad investment.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

PAWMAN

Post by PAWMAN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:09 pm

In my BOV I have my guitar, my tuner, and a few extra strings for it.So when i reach my BOL i will have some entertainment

The Armorer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead(original and remake though i like the original better) , night of the living dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 Days later

Post by The Armorer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 pm

LOL I was just thinking this a little while ago. I would have a few board games around a deck of cards would definitely be useful. I would also constantly check my equipment and have plenty of books on hand when I'm bored and want something to read. I would not bring monopoly though to many pieces. :D

deathstyle

Post by deathstyle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm

i have my axis and allies board game. (Europe Edition!)
a deck of playing cards
acoustic guitar (may take my electric if im properly prepared and situated in time
books (martial arts, history, fiction)
my mojo manuals :oops:
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Chess
Risk
Scrabble
Battleship
Monopoly
Connect Four
Woodcarving
Cards
Books
Musical instruments
Dancing
Exercise
Writing
Sex
Masturbation
Prison-style arts and crafts
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Post by BEar667 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm going to take a harmonica
a deck of cards
CLUE
my fav books
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:19 pm

In a true honest to God PAW I suspect my day would go like this:

sunrise: Get up and get to work

till the soil
pull weeds from my food crop
shovel fertilizer from the barn
check, clean and wash the solar panels
fill the batteries with distilled water
boil water to make more distilled water.
pull some more weeds
harvest crops when ready
repair the machinery that I can to keep it running
tend the herd.
wash up for dinner
cook dinner
eat dinner then at sunset collapse and go to sleep

I suspect there will be little time for entertainment if you want to avoid starvation. Entertainment will likely be extra sleep.

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bgnad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 pm

raptor wrote: I suspect there will be little time for entertainment if you want to avoid starvation. Entertainment will likely be extra sleep.
Ding, Ding, Ding!

I for one am not looking forward to the PAW, I'm too damn lazy! 8)
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Ive got a shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute) and will be making a bes'bev (another flute)... Id take those. Both can double as emergency weapons.

I like to play Go, a game similar-ish to chess. It would be my first choice for a game. Even a small 9x9 board. I also like a new game called Dao.

Books are always a winner... but heavy. Ive got some "Shambala Pocket Books" that are small enough to pack. I carried the "Book of 5 Rings" and "Zen Flesh Zen Bones" in my cargo pocket all through Basic.

An MP3 player with lots of songs and a solar charger would be a high-value bit of entertainment.

The Armorer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead(original and remake though i like the original better) , night of the living dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 Days later

Post by The Armorer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 pm

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote: An MP3 player with lots of songs and a solar charger would be a high-value bit of entertainment.
Do you already own a solar charger? Because if you do I'd like to know where you got it. That would work awesomely for me too.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:47 pm

The Armorer wrote:
KeepItSimpleStupid wrote: An MP3 player with lots of songs and a solar charger would be a high-value bit of entertainment.
Do you already own a solar charger? Because if you do I'd like to know where you got it. That would work awesomely for me too.
This one gets good reviews. PM user "Mags" for his impression. I think he has one.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Go.

'nuff said. 8)
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Pretty much what raptor said, but having lived in a rural community, I think there will be a return to Sabbath (whatever day that means to you) worship, and that much of the "live entertainment" will be built around a worship community. Probably some porch pickin' too. You can't go wrong with some acoustic jams.
Mostly not here anymore.

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:18 am

theres always entertainment "the old fashion way" if you know what i mean =)

and also i own enough books to fill a small library..... let alone manuals , would be kind of ironic that i figure out how to get the clock on my dvd player to not blink 12:00 after i dont have power to work the thing...

much of my day would be foraging. followed by a good book and passing out.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 am

dogbane wrote:Pretty much what raptor said, but having lived in a rural community, I think there will be a return to Sabbath (whatever day that means to you) worship, and that much of the "live entertainment" will be built around a worship community. Probably some porch pickin' too. You can't go wrong with some acoustic jams.
If you look at history I think there is a good basis for this. Peasants had to work pretty much all the time, and the church services might be the only regular "leisure" activity. You might also see a rise in festival and fairs. I think fairs have declined because there are so many entertainment options, but when it is the only game in town you would look forward to the festival or fair.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:37 am

There would be some room for entertainment in the PAW.

I mean, if you were the Last Man on Earth type deal, maybe not so much, but if life retreated to a subsistance style farming community, even if it was tiny, there would be some sort of rest day.

You'd eventually work yourself into some sort of sickness anyhow, I'd imagine.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:11 am

I dont think there would actually be THAT much work re: food production. On a subsistence level, it is mostly limited to a few hard weeks seasonally with light ongoing maintenance between times.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:17 am

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:I dont think there would actually be THAT much work re: food production. On a subsistence level, it is mostly limited to a few hard weeks seasonally with light ongoing maintenance between times.
Yes, the seasonal cycle is hard on the subsistence farmer. At some times, too little to do, at other times, too much.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:32 am

I've got a D20 in my survival vest. A deck of cards would be great. I suspect whittling will become a lot more popular, as well. But, as the D20 indicates, imagination and storytelling will be essential to keeping me sane.

Also, the Medieval European peasant model doesn't really work because you aren't supporting nobility, and you have much better technology, even in the PAW (metal ploughs, GMO seed stock, knowledge of reasonable crop rotation). Besides, a lot of American soil is still, even after Agribusinesses have had their go at destroying it, some of the best in the world.
Creaux
Barbarian Suppressing General

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

WES
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead (original & remake).

Post by WES » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:17 am

raptor wrote: I suspect there will be little time for entertainment if you want to avoid starvation. Entertainment will likely be extra sleep.
dogbane wrote:Pretty much what raptor said, but having lived in a rural community, I think there will be a return to Sabbath (whatever day that means to you) worship, and that much of the "live entertainment" will be built around a worship community. Probably some porch pickin' too. You can't go wrong with some acoustic jams.
I think you're both dead on.

PAW's going to be hard work, but every once in a while you have to take a break.

in the short term, I'd use my Ipod. Has every song in my entire collection (800+ cd's, I stopped counting a long time ago... I measure my cd collection in Lbs now... which is 214 or so), 45 feature movies, 5 books, every digital photo I have, and about 20+ military manual PDF's (which I could view on a laptop).

I'm thinking about adding some small travel games to my BOB... chess, backgammon, etc. they don't weigh much, and they don't need batteries.

But I'm with raptor on probably not having a lot of time to use it. 5 minutes a day would be a real treat.
Don't Panic :)

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”