A PROPER PANTRY

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

d060025

A PROPER PANTRY

Post by d060025 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:26 am

A PROPER STOCKED PANTRY FOR THE HOME SHOULD CONSIST OF WHAT? per person.

Jacob Creutzfeldt

Re: A PROPER PANTRY

Post by Jacob Creutzfeldt » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:52 am

FOOD!

:lol:

Anything you want to eat, in the quantites you want to eat, times the number of days you want it to last.
The light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:08 am

Well for my pantry I figure about 2,000 calories per person per day.

For me the food must be food that I like and will eat. Having 400 lbs of rice is good but if nobody likes rice it's not really that good.

Food that is easy to make and that is good by itself or complments the other food stock I have stored.
Food that doesn't require a lot of water, which is a factor to me in Arizona.
Food that in the container is a single sitting meal, since I don't want to have to worry about storage of half eaten meals.

So I have a selection of Mountain House food in the #10 cans and regular store caned foods.

Also dont forget the comfort foods

But this is just me your milieage will varry
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:01 am

Agreed:
2000-3000 calories/day/person (probably too much pre-PAW, but an emergency is not the time to start a diet).
Some variety and attention to vitamin/mineral content (some nutrients are more immediately important than others).
Stuff that keeps well stored in a fashion conducive to long-term non-spoilage (or infestation, breaking, etc).
Stuff you already eat.

Keep some track of when things get added to your pantry, eat the oldest stuff first. This keeps your stocks rotated. ie; when canned tomatoes go on sale, I buy a bunch of cans, and put them to the rear of the shelf, shifting the older cans forward. When I want to make tomato gravy, I use the frontmost cans. The same process goes for my gallon jars of flour, pinto beans, lentils, my shelf of ramen, canned soups, teabags, canned veggies, etc.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Bdswalker
Favorite Zombie Movies: knightrider not a zombie movie but made by the master of them

Post by Bdswalker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:13 pm

well it depends on what you call a PANTRY. mine is stocked for two months. basic staples flour, sugar, beans gravey packs, canned beans so forth basic food stuff. a pantry is not long term food storage. its so you can take advantage of sales and not have to run to the store every week
\

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:37 pm

I assume you're just starting, and are a tad overwhelmed? This calculator is a good place to start.
--
Use the following calculator to figure the minimum food storage amounts for your family for one year. The amounts are based on the recommendations listed in the LDS Church's Essentials of Home Production and Storage booklet, see (LDS Distribution Center). These are only recommendations. You will need to determine what you should store for your family.
http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
Once you run the calculator and go EEK! That would take thousands of dollars!
Try here - http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showforum=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here - So you think you have *NOTHING*
http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fixed broken links
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:44 pm

I used the LDS calculator to get started myself, then added more powdered starches that I like, sweets, mountain house and MRE's just to mix it up. I started last year, I'm at two years of stores in addition to the two month's my normal pantry holds.

It's rather like starting a savings account, you work on it for a little while and it just seems like such a challenge, then one day, bam, you notice you have quite a little cache. Something small like $10 extra every grocery trip for prep food stores, adds up fast enough.

I probably spend more thought on my food preps, buying using, storing and organizing them than I do with any other part of my preps, including firearms.
ImageImage

TC

Post by TC » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:54 pm

I don't have a whole load of space in my apartment for storing food, and I can touch both walls of my kitchen long ways with both hands at the same time. Regardless of this, I would like to think that I have a fairly well stocked kitchen when it comes to food, at least compared to average Joe.

I like to split my food into two categories, foods that I am going to be eating anyway and foods that are good sources of food that have a long shelf life. For example, I eat a lot of rice. This is great, because it's a good prep food and I get through it quickly, so it makes sense to have a load of it already. Then there are things like canned beans and sausages or soups. I don't eat these often, since I have the fresh ingredients for them available to me from across the street. Still, I keep canned and dried goods on hand so that I have a back up of food that I don't need to worry about spoiling. When things get close to expiring, I'll just eat them up. This way there is no wastage, even for things out of my typical diet.

Of course, I have the benefit of being a bachelor and a student, so I pretty much eat what I please. If you are feeding a family, then you might want to plan differently. It's essential to buy things that you know you will be able to eat. Buying a bunch of stuff that is 'good prep food' but not actually something you enjoy is a waste of time, effort and money. This is for two reasons. Firstly, when you are using up stored foods that are getting to their use by date, you want something you can stand to eat, otherwise you'll just throw it out or leave it lingering in the cupboard. Secondly, if you ever do have to use the food in an emergency, you'll want something that you like! Who needs the added misery of eating something they hate when the world is giving them hell already. Sure we will all eat anything if we are hungry enough, but when you have the choice of what to buy now why would you choose something you don't like?!

As for the buying, it looks expensive if you say I am going to buy a ton of this and this and this. I totally sympathise with this, as will any other student. What you need to do is make sure you exploit every deal you can get. If you are buying something non-perishable and you know you will be buying more of it in the future anyway, if you see it is on sale, buy a lot of it then! It might look a lot, but it is cheaper than paying more in the long run. Also, it is useful to gradually build your stores up. For example, buy one can of beans for this week and one for the house. Before long you'll have built up a good sized pantry!
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Bdswalker wrote:well it depends on what you call a PANTRY. mine is stocked for two months. basic staples flour, sugar, beans gravey packs, canned beans so forth basic food stuff. a pantry is not long term food storage. its so you can take advantage of sales and not have to run to the store every week
This is only partly true. A well-stocked pantry is in many ways a more useful part of preparedness than, say, a case of MRE's and a 100,000 round ammo cache. It's a hedge against losing your job, food prices spiking, or a disaster affecting availability. Stock it with whatever you normally eat, and lots of it.

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:47 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:I probably spend more thought on my food preps, buying using, storing and organizing them than I do with any other part of my preps, including firearms.
:shock: ...I mean, me too. But :shock:
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

TC

Post by TC » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:39 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Bdswalker wrote:well it depends on what you call a PANTRY. mine is stocked for two months. basic staples flour, sugar, beans gravey packs, canned beans so forth basic food stuff. a pantry is not long term food storage. its so you can take advantage of sales and not have to run to the store every week
This is only partly true. A well-stocked pantry is in many ways a more useful part of preparedness than, say, a case of MRE's and a 100,000 round ammo cache. It's a hedge against losing your job, food prices spiking, or a disaster affecting availability. Stock it with whatever you normally eat, and lots of it.
+1

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the chances of me having to fight off zombies vs. the chances of me being hungry and wanting to eat something even if the shops are shut is a pretty one sided equation.

IMHO, you can tell how serious someone is about their prepping by how well they prepare for the boring but essential stuff like food and water. I have a long way to go myself, and self-defence is important, but you can't feed your family on ammunition.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:42 am

I think a well stocked pantry should have enough of the foods you eat to last two months. In most kitchens, if you impliment good storage methods, you should have room for this. I rarely keep things in the boxes they come in, since bugs live off the glue in those boxes and they tend to crush and be easily penetrated by insects and damp as well as absorbing odors (and taste) from other items. I chose my storage containers for sturdiness and stackability. Many of the containers I have are old Tupperware that my Mom had 35 years ago! However, I had limited space in a mobile home when the kids were little and invested in more modular Tupperware storage. Why Tupperware? Well, at the time I started, it was almost all that was out there. A recent trip to WalMart and Target showed me that modular food storage has a lot more options now.
I try to keep the basics in bulk...sugar,flour,dry milk, pasta (or rice for some)
I never keep (or buy) things that we don't all like...I've found that while it may be cheap or vitamin smart, if you don't eat it, it goes to waste.
I have other basics in bulk as well, getting them through the year as they come on sale. These are items that you get a big "bang for the buck", they don't need to be cooked, can be eaten from the container and have many different ways of preparing/serving...peanut butter, canned tune/chicken, baked beans. A small stock of each will go a long ways!
All in all, in my opinion, planning and organization is the key above all else.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bdswalker
Favorite Zombie Movies: knightrider not a zombie movie but made by the master of them

Post by Bdswalker » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:46 am

Jeriah wrote:

+1 what i meant was that number 10 cans should not be in the pantry unless you use them everyday.
buying MRE and long term preps should not be in there. not to say i don't have mre in my pantry i do but i eat them at work when im on the move.

now some cooking tips. Dry milk can be used in cooking for almost everything nasty to drink but good to cook with as long as you are going to heat the milk. spam is good eating, if cooked with other things like hashbrowns and tomatoes.
you can throw a handfull of dry soaked beans into any soup stew and it will not change the taste that much if at all.

buy nice storage stuff and it will make it easer.
\

Tactical Raccoon
BANNED

Post by Tactical Raccoon » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Where is the best place to get quality affordable MRE's? I looked on eBay but you cannot trust if those are actual quality MRE's or not.
Forum nazi's control in effect...

Sam Quint

Post by Sam Quint » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Tactical Raccoon wrote:Where is the best place to get quality affordable MRE's? I looked on eBay but you cannot trust if those are actual quality MRE's or not.
MRE's are only 10% of our back up supply. That being said we use: http://www.longlifefood.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Service and quality have been excellent in my experience with them.
Doomerism to me is the equivalent of voluntary pants pooping, where you can say you knew it was coming, and you were right about it all along, and now you have tangible proof.

JCD

Post by JCD » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:16 am

One caveat to the "stock what you eat" meme. First I agree with it in general principles, just like dress warmly in layers and floss daily.

However, what you eat and what can be stockpiled are sometimes vastly different animals. For example, one of the few foods which 80% of the family agrees upon is pizza. How does one stockpile pizza? "Ahh!" you say. "But you can stockpile the ingredients! And you are correct. But that is not the pizza my family eats.

So a certain amount of menu modification is in order. My kids have never eaten canned meat or vegetables. However, if I start to make stews, tacos, etc, their tastebuds will become more ameanable and it will be less of a shock to their system. Ditto, homemade bread and other easily stored staples.

So there is a bit of change which needs to come from YOUR end as well, not just the pantry.

Just an opinion.
"You can be brilliant and still be ignorant of pertinent facts which can end up killing you"

TC

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:53 am

JCD wrote:One caveat to the "stock what you eat" meme. First I agree with it in general principles, just like dress warmly in layers and floss daily.

However, what you eat and what can be stockpiled are sometimes vastly different animals. For example, one of the few foods which 80% of the family agrees upon is pizza. How does one stockpile pizza? "Ahh!" you say. "But you can stockpile the ingredients! And you are correct. But that is not the pizza my family eats.

So a certain amount of menu modification is in order. My kids have never eaten canned meat or vegetables. However, if I start to make stews, tacos, etc, their tastebuds will become more ameanable and it will be less of a shock to their system. Ditto, homemade bread and other easily stored staples.

So there is a bit of change which needs to come from YOUR end as well, not just the pantry.

Just an opinion.
Lol, actually I remember a thread here about canned pizza a while back. I can't find it at the moment, but I know it's out there somewhere!

I do get what you mean though and it's a worthy point to make. I guess I was trying to get across the message that one shouldn't just stockpile and eat tins and tins of SPAM because it is high calorie food and it lasts forever. In the event that I start using up my food preps in an actual emergency, it will most likely be in the form of stews, curries and other sauce based meals that can have just about anything put in them. Soups too are stocked in great quantity in my home, since they are almost universally enjoyed, easy to add to and filling and warming. This way, you can make something out of almost anything. I buy jars of pre made sauces, tins of soups and also various dehydrated goods that can be boiled up to make a big pot of something nice.

Personally, I wouldn't be without my boxes of Japanese Curry cubes! Ah, truly that is the food of the gods!

JCD

Post by JCD » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm not slamming the meme, just noting that what we enjoy eating (steaks, sausage, pizza, frozen or fresh veggies, ice cream) doesn't exactly store easily.
"You can be brilliant and still be ignorant of pertinent facts which can end up killing you"

TC

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:47 pm

JCD wrote:I'm not slamming the meme, just noting that what we enjoy eating (steaks, sausage, pizza, frozen or fresh veggies, ice cream) doesn't exactly store easily.
Sure, I agree. I don't want you to think that I took your point badly, quite the opposite. Most people these days will probably choose fresh produce over preserved and we are used to those foods as a result. Canned carrots are nothing like fresh ones. I guess you just have to make do with what you can get. I suppose the most important part of stocking food you can eat is that when it gets old, you can eat it up to avoid wastage.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:09 pm

It may not be very smart, but my wife and I love some Dinty More beef stew. Granted we like my homemade stuff better, but for a quick meal, the DM is pretty tasty. When we go to Costco's or BJ's we like to pick up a 4-pack, each can contains 3 servings, for a total of about 630 calories (+/-) so 2520 calories in a package. Now I know that they aren't the most nutrient rich food, but when it comes to ease of cooking (or heating to be more precise) taste and price they can't really be beat. When you consider serving the stew with some of our rice stores to make a meal its not too bad.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Dinty Moore is one of the things that I keep in stock as well. It makes a nice filling meal and is not too expensive either. We also keep canned chili and soups. Of course, you can add to them to make more of a meal (rools, veg. etc) but even if you don't you will come away warm and full.
I think meals like that are important to have on hand for emergencies. I haven't been able to find it lately, but some company (maybe Dinty_ also has a chicken stew with dumplings that isn't too bad.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Regarding : Store what you eat, eat what you store. -
If your family wants Dinty Moore stew stock some - Then find a recipe, tweak it to make a stew your family likes, and learn how to can it.
-
For example : Lentils are a good storage food; packed with nutrition, easily and quickly cooked, needing much less water than dry beans.
We feel lentils taste like dirt. So I yelled for help to the ladies who eat them, and they gave me recipes - 2 of them the whole family likes. Now I have a storage food we would never eat before.
Good cooking is what you are used to, or what you get used to.
-
Learn to bake with white flour, then wheat flour, and then with your home ground flour.

It's a process, like learning to make a fire. You sort of learn backwards. First keep a fire going, then practice letting it die down to coals and restarting it. Next learn to create the coals...
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:22 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Regarding : Store what you eat, eat what you store. -
If your family wants Dinty Moore stew stock some - Then find a recipe, tweak it to make a stew your family likes, and learn how to can it.

LOL, well the Dinty while tasty, can't hold a candle to my home cooked stew that stuff is freakin awsome, my wife says so her self :)

Right now I'm keeping most of my preps for a shorter term situation. If it gets to the point where we aren't able to buy food, from some place for over a 1-3 month period. Then there are probably other problems that we need to worry about.

My biggest worry, at least here in South Fl, is hurricane season. But generally speaking they aren't TEOTWAWKI events, and while devistating, things do get back to normal after a while.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

TC

Post by TC » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:40 pm

Gotta remember too that most of us don't spend our time bugged in with the entrances barricaded and the house lit by candles. This whole preparedness thing is about making an emergency as manageable and comfortable as possible. It's never going to be as good as regular living and I don't see any reason to degrade your current standard of living so you are used to the PAW standards.

Now of course you've gotta prep wisely so you can transition as smoothly as possible, but it's false economy to lower standards now so that you are used to a miserable life later! You might as well kill yourself by that logic, since that's where we're all headed in the end!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”