Scuba Diving?!?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sgx_d
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Scuba Diving?!?

Post by sgx_d » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:48 am

I started wondering what benefit could I have from scuba diving in a PAW? I'm already an acomplished diver and well aquainted with Search and recovery, wrecks, nitrox, deep, and DPVs. I have my own dive gear, minus wet/dry suit and tank.
If I knew a PAW was coming, would it be worth getting the suit + tanks? And what could I expect to actually use them for?

Aquiring guns lost in "boating accidents" when the JBTs come? :P

In seriousness though, what could I use this unique ability for in a PAW?

deltagreen451
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Zombieland

Re: Scuba Diving?!?

Post by deltagreen451 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:58 am

Doing hull checks and maintenance on your houseboat/sailboat/floating fortress?

Giacomo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Day of the dead, and Shaun of the Dead

Post by Giacomo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:07 am

Fishing? Pre-emptive strike against pirate raiders? Zed fishing?
EvilTOJ wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm beginning to realize that you guys are all fucking nuts. :shock:
And a forum dedicated to preparing for a zombpocalypse wasn't your first clue we're all slightly mad? :lol:
PistolPete wrote:And you always wear a suit when you are granted audience with Kyle. He's generally naked, but everyone is too scared to bring it up.

finnjaevel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, I am Legend

Post by finnjaevel » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:23 am

sgx_d wrote:I started wondering what benefit could I have from scuba diving in a PAW? I'm already an acomplished diver and well aquainted with Search and recovery, wrecks, nitrox, deep, and DPVs. I have my own dive gear, minus wet/dry suit and tank.
If I knew a PAW was coming, would it be worth getting the suit + tanks? And what could I expect to actually use them for?
Maybe you could do like supervillains do in James Bond movies and live in a cave that can only be accessed by diving into it? :wink:

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:37 am

The cave idea isn't so bad, except for a few things:
1) Either the cave will be visible at low tide, or very difficult to access at high tide. Diving equipment isn't going to last forever in the PAW.
2) Getting equipment and supplies into that cave is going to be a PITA. Not to mention anything you want to get in there and keep it dry.
3) Something else may want in that cave, creepy crawlies and what have you.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Kragax
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Comet
Dawn of the Dead

Post by Kragax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 am

let's see,......if you sunk an empty school bus and......

Just a thought

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Inviting other zombie hunters to come diving with you pre-PAW, and so developing a community of able, equipped, and mentally prepared folks you can count on when TSHTF. :wink:
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Don't forget that you will need your own charging rig. even twin-80s don't last too long if you are deep.

Salvage is always a good thing.
Surviving is easy, living while you do it is the hard part.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:26 pm

LOL, thats what I'd suggest too.

After the PAW it's going to be all snorkeling.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:16 pm

A gas powered compressor, or generator for the compressor could be good if you expect a lot of dive work.

I don't know if an old sponge diver handpump rig is something I would want to use, at least not if I am in the bell.

killzombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Diary, Dawn and Night!

Post by killzombies » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:29 pm

when you say you have all your equipment...you mean you're set up for snorkling? I say get good at that...now you have access to the 10'-60' region that normal people won't. HUGE advantage :)
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 pm

kiwilrdg wrote:A gas powered compressor, or generator for the compressor could be good if you expect a lot of dive work.

I don't know if an old sponge diver handpump rig is something I would want to use, at least not if I am in the bell.
wouldn't work. compressors transfer oil into the tank which is very bad for breathing. you need special filtering equipment which can be very expensive.

GOVT1911

Post by GOVT1911 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Like posted earlier, salvage and hull inspections/repair skills would be good to know, but also as posted ealier you'd better have a way to safely refil your tanks. Odds are the dive shop might be closed. :wink:

I think one problem with being in the water in PAW with Zombies is that THEY'LL be in there with you. Zed can hold his breath longer than you. LOL Visiblilty would suck as well as you'd be as slow as the Zombies and less able to escape than on land.
I'm not really worried about the bullet with my name on it, but I AM concerned about the one addressed "To whom it may concern".

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 pm

wouldn't work. compressors transfer oil into the tank which is very bad for breathing. you need special filtering equipment which can be very expensive.
Of course you would not fill a tank without proper filters and dehydrators.

There are rigs designed for use on dive boats. I did not say they were cheap or that you could easily improvise one. a spec of rust, oil, or water and you could lose your first stage regulator. Not good when you are down.

If you had diving equipment that worked you would be in a special position when it comes to bartering, especially if you can weld as well.

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:27 am

overall it might come in useful but i wouldn't plan on it unless your BOV is a boat. other than the possibility of bad air, don't forget about the quality/condition of the water. i wouldn't want to be swimming in a decomposing vat of who knows what.

sgx_d

Post by sgx_d » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Those are roughly what I came up with, hopefully I'll be able to get a rig setup that'll work with normal Fire Dept tank refills. The only real difference is the connection for tank to the regs. Most people don't know it but there are quite a few FD masks that are good down to 15 feet or so. :P

Biff

Post by Biff » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:06 pm

. . .
Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sgx_d

Post by sgx_d » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Yes

Biff

Post by Biff » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:30 pm

. . .
Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:48 am

Biff wrote:
sgx_d wrote:BTW, when you say that you're "well acquainted" with search and recovery, wrecks, nitrox, etc., does that mean certified?[/size]
sgx_d wrote:Yes
The reason I ask is that one would expect someone with your professed level of training to already own a wetsuit. Whatever. PAW or not, since you've invested your time and cash into the training and whatever gear you already own, I think you should own a wetsuit just on principle. Tanks too, if you want to dive in the PAW. Worry about how to fill them when the time comes.
Biff, certification in these areas is trivial, and you can often double up and knock out more than one at a time.
Any sort of diving certification (at least at the recreational level) isn't a certification of competence, it is a certification that you have a basic level of understanding on how not to get yourself or others killed. It just opens the door for you to get the real experience. Even still, you can still find idiots on every boat who will try their damnedest to make sure something goes fubar.

Not having the wetsuit and tank is standard practice if you don't live at the beach. The tanks can legally and technically be problematic to lug from site to site, especially if you need public transportation (like flying to the islands or something). The wet suit is just a big PITA.
Neither of which are very important...For the most part, a tank is a tank, and a wet suit is a wet suit. The rest of the diving gear you purchase because their care and quality are extremely important.

But to the OP's question, the dive equipment is barely worth anything in the PAW. It would be a one time use sort of deal because you couldn't keep it safely maintained, or even refill the tanks without highly specialized equipment.
Not to mention, that diving alone now would be a bad idea. Diving alone in the PAW would be a tough way to die.

The only nice part is that your tanks would last forever in shallow water if you wanted to get some fishing done.
I think if I lived near a body of water where I could spearfish without using scuba, I would probably cheat and use my pony bottle until it ran out.
Basically, I would only use equipment that I could ditch underwater on the spot.
I would skip the wetsuit so that I could skip the weightbelt (which would drastically limit the time I could spend in the water.)
I would skip anything past 15ft. in depth, or too far from shore for spearfishing. Assume everything is going to go #$##$%$%.

In other words, the whole thing is a massive PITA. I could accomplish better results with a fishing pole.

derajer

Post by derajer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:05 am

I think the best use would be to find a nice, deep, private quarry pond to stash things. From now till the PAW you will have access to maintenance, etc... and when the PAW came you could recover your super secret stash well within the limited time that your gear would be useful. I think things like guns, ammo, and anything else that might be confiscated would be good to hide underwater since it is extremely unlikely that goverment reps are going to think to check the bottom of your pond.
Check out the Zombie Squad Wiki especially the Bug-out Bag Article

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:11 am

I still think a charging system would have long-term applications in a SHTF situation. Large boats today are not usually built to be maintained by grounding at high tide and cleaning when the tide is out. There would also be scuttled boats and other salvage. The equipment is not cheap but it provides a good income now and would provide a unique opportunity if the worst happens.

Biff

Post by Biff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:23 pm

. . .
Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:22 pm

I go with the "in the PAW there will be no compressor, so stick to snorkelling which brings excellent seafood and boat maintenance" school of thought.

(no SCUBA experience here, a fair bit of snorkel-diving, mmm spider crab nom nom nom)
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”