Carrying a survival book, what's yours?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

What do you carry?

FM 21-76
6%
SAS Survival Handbook
52%
something else
31%
notes I wrote down on a napkin
No votes
I don't need a book, I'm Survivorman, MacGyver and Ash all in one!
11%

Total votes: 62

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Carrying a survival book, what's yours?

Post by olaf_yahoo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:49 am

Like many of you over the years I have accumulated a number of survival related texts and was curious if any of you carry them on you regularly or in your BOB. Again like many I have the old FM 21-76 field guides which I got from my dad after he retired from the Marines. The only ones I have ever found were the 1970 and 1986 versions which are a little limited and not very detailed. While they would be very useful I prefer the newer SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman. Found it at Barnes n' Noble some while back and loved it. I've got one in the BOB and another in my EDC as I do a lot of impromptu hiking and such.

I feel decently confident that without the book I would be able to handle most situations I might come across in a reasonably competent manner. However there are a few areas such as plant identification and anything above basic first aid that I need work on. So for me instead of trying to remember "is this that leafy plant that kills me or wards off mosquitoes?" and "I'm lost at night without a compass, what constellation is that again? I keep the book handy and whenever I'm sitting in the car or waiting somewhere I pull it out and refresh myself. You loved my run on sentence didn't you, yea you did :-). Of course the book wouldn't be nearly as useful as some hands on training in these areas (yea I've been lax in the training area, no excuse).

So what about you folks, who keeps survival text in their BOB or EDC and what is it? Oh and by the way if anyone knows of a compact survival book with serious info like the above mentioned texts please share. I've been looking for something small to fit in other kits and such, thanks!
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Why bring more, when you can take Les"

E&E belt kit thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77171

Necrowerx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Re: Carrying a survival book, what's yours?

Post by Necrowerx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:22 am

Your poll doesn't allow for multiple texts. :wink:

I have FM 21-76 in PDF format, and the SAS Survival Guide (the little tiny book) in both PDF and original book form. Obviously the latter is by far the easiest to access in a SHTF situation, and is small enough to pack away w/o taking up much room. Since the Guide doesn't really equal the full Handbook (or does it?) I voted on "something else".

One day soon I will definitely buy full SAS Handbook. Maybe even FM 21-76, but I kinda doubt it.
Beware the AGB: the Appetizing Guts Ban: Outlaw guts, and only zombies will eat guts!

KarLorian

Post by KarLorian » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 am

The Pocket Ref:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188507 ... o_cart_pop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another great addition to the list of possibles...

Invictus99

Post by Invictus99 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:20 pm

I have a copy of the ranger handbook in my car so I guess that counts.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 pm

I have plenty of survival skills books in my library. I don't carry them physically, but in my head.
Mostly not here anymore.

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Books are a good place to start but practice is the key.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:04 pm

The majority of my "books" are in PDF form, mostly field manuals. So not so much with the packable. But I'm in the (slow) process of making a mini reference guide for myself from those. Printing out key sections, or photocopying key pages from actual books, to eventually laminate them and put them in a small (4x5) binder. That way I have reference for the hard-to-remember things like equations and measurements needed, or for reminders for skills I don't often get to use.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:05 pm

dogbane wrote:I have plenty of survival skills books in my library. I don't carry them physically, but in my head.
dude, you have a library in your head? where do I get one of those chips? ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm

dogbane wrote:I have plenty of survival skills books in my library. I don't carry them physically, but in my head.
Frankly, I don't trust myself to remember every convenient trick in the book. I'm a big fan of backups. Dead-tree-ware can be a good backup, provide the words on it are worthwhile.
arrowolf wrote:Books are a good place to start but practice is the key.
+1
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:08 pm

I carry the SAS survival book. But i also think that a person needs to know what to do and how to do it with out having to look in a book all the time.
Some books will give you ideas but they dont work in your area or situation so you need to know how to make them work.I need to work on plant identification my self and some refresher trips cant hurt on the basics eather
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Y.T. wrote:
dude, you have a library in your head? where do I get one of those chips? ;)
Gotta be born with one. :D
Mostly not here anymore.

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

I didn't mean rely on books without having any first hand experience. I was just asking who else carries survival text or even PDF in a PDA or something in their BOB or on them every day.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

Pansy

Post by Pansy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:05 pm

KarLorian wrote:The Pocket Ref:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188507 ... o_cart_pop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another great addition to the list of possibles...
Hell yes... This book kicks ass! Even if you don't have one in your BOB, you should still keep one in your home/car. Everyone should own a copy. It's invaluable.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:39 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchh ... the_Galaxy_(book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

...and a few other, more pedestrian volumes having to do with foraging and messing about with
gear...
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:43 pm

If I was globe trotting, I'd probably go with the Wiseman book, almost certainly either the pocket Harper printing (tough) or the cheapie one from Pocket Books (burns great, and the paper is soft enough to wipe with).
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:46 pm

I have plenty of survival skills books in my library. I don't carry them physically, but in my head.
I'm with DB. The best place is in your noggin. It's harder to lose, takes up zero room, weighs nothing, can't be stolen but can be shared. But then I'm blessed with a pretty good memory and a decent amount of practice. I'd rather use the space and weight for more food, water or gear. I also feel that it's a little late to read up survival when your ass is already in trouble. Seven P's and all that.

I can imagine that for the timorous or inexperienced, having a hard reference in the BOB would be important, if only to provide a security blanket that will allay fears that one is "doing it wrong." In that case, an appropriate manual, general in scope and basic in level, could be worth it's weight in gold.

I'll third the Pocket Ref. I have two copies. There's no way I could remember all the information in that little gem.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Skokie
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Skokie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Probably the only book I'd pack in my BOB would be Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West. Most of the information in all of the other survival books I've read is fairly easily memorized, but I wouldn't trust my memory alone to identify potentially dangerous plants as edible. It's also a relatively small paperback, so the weight isn't as major of a concern as lugging around some books might be.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 pm

ironraven wrote:If I was globe trotting, I'd probably go with the Wiseman book, almost certainly either the pocket Harper printing (tough) or the cheapie one from Pocket Books (burns great, and the paper is soft enough to wipe with).
Pocket books, can you give a link please I've been looking on Google and haven't found anything very relevant?

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:51 pm

I have a small notebook I carry in my BOB. I've taken a pretty extensive set of notes for survival situations, most of which I've ripped off of other sources, and I'm debating pasting some pictures of edible plants in my area in the back of it as well. I also keep lists of my group members, their dependants, the calibre of their primary firearm and a few other personal notes I can use for roll call, etc...the lame administrative stuff involved in running a large group.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

MIKE_the_MILITANT
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, new one

Post by MIKE_the_MILITANT » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:35 am

+1 on the notebook, most survival books are mostly filled with crap, I would say 4/5 of any given book is useless to carry, either easily remembered, common sense didn't need to be there to begin with. So I have a note book that I compile all of the useful stuff I find in all the books I read, smaller lighter and 100 times more useful.
"Bankers are the assassins of hope."

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:55 am

If I was bugging out and wanted to take a survival text with me, I'd take the notes I took while at the Trackerschool in New Jersey. Those notes outstrip any single text I own; however the Petersen's guide to edible plants has more specific plant info. Of course, Lord of the Rings will already be in the BOB. :)
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 am

velojym wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchh ... axy_(book)

...and a few other, more pedestrian volumes having to do with foraging and messing about with
gear...

:lol: More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc, etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

I also have the pocket ref in my truck. I don't keep any books in my bug out bag. I did see an edible/medicinal plant pictorial on plastic for hikers at a local store. I need to pick one of these up. Small, waterproof, and durable. Plus, having actual pictures of the plants would be much better than some fifth grader's hand sketch of a plant saying Danger! Do Not Eat that looks like the same plant that acts as a blood clotting agent when you ingest it.

KillaICM
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by KillaICM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 am

Need I say more?

Book205
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
DAWN '04
Land of the Dead

Post by Book205 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:24 am

I have the Pocket SAS guide that I ordered when the last edition was released, but I do occasionally carry the Pocket Ref Guide. I did handwrite the morse code and a few other goodies into my day planner, since I'm too lazy to memorize morse code.
HONG KONG Cavaliers Rock!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”