Nightstand Armory

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:15 pm

My biology teacher told us she has some kinda rifle under her bed. She didnt specify.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:25 pm

Ghostfist wrote:Glock 27 and a tanto hanging from my bedpost. Ak-47 under my bed.
Yea, I have the Glock 27 as well. I just got the magazine extentions or the extra grip. By the way, use the mace AND the 2' piece of lumber. That's what the vidio game folks call a "combo", or so I hear.

MOM ALERT

This next part is the "kill-joy" part of me. If you keep a lethal weapon in ready reach and use it in a situation that may or may not call for it, if you had time to escape, then you have just commited PREMEDITATED murder. That's right. If you are planning on killing an intruder, instead of running away, and have taken precautions to ensure that you are capable of doing so, then you can go down for murder one. It sucks, I know, but that's the law in these parts. Being that Murder 1 is a capitol crime, I could only assume that means anywhere in America.
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Matias

Post by Matias » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:51 pm

I keep a knife and my revolver closeby.
Steel yourselves.
Resident tinkerer/inventor

Raccoon City Survivor

Post by Raccoon City Survivor » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:09 pm

An 18-inch machete, 11" (overall) knife, and a computer.

Quasar665

Post by Quasar665 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:42 pm

umm.... *digs around by the bed*

9mm and a 12 inch vibrator.... let's hope I grab the right tool for the job.

Ephek+

Post by Ephek+ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:48 am

Quasar665 wrote:umm.... *digs around by the bed*

Well, grab the vibrator and u can do some "breaking and entering", "intrusion" and "robbery" of your own.

And if you have a 12 inch vibrator, I can only hope your female, or its your wifes :shock:
:(

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:55 pm

Just to see, I told my son (20 months) which key was the one to the gun drawer. He immediately picked it out, stuck it in the lock, and opened the drawer. So the ammo is now going downstairs in a lockbox, the house gun is getting trigger and/or action locks, and being locked up in a safe. I guess it's back to the katana for home defense. :?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Hunter for Hire

Post by Hunter for Hire » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:23 pm

ummm i keep a snake under the covers...yeah it can do some blinding damage when its up on its game.
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:50 pm

Quasar665 wrote:umm.... *digs around by the bed*

I don't think it matters. I'd probably run from a madman with a 12" rubber wang faster than I'd run from someone with a 9mm.

Jamoni, as least you had it locked. Try a toolbox under your bed with a *good* combo lock on it if you want to keep the gun handy. Ditch the katana as a home defence tool, anything over the 24"-30" mark is too long to fight with effectivly in something like a narrow hallway. Looks scary though.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:24 pm

Jamoni wrote:Just to see, I told my son (20 months) which key was the one to the gun drawer. He immediately picked it out, stuck it in the lock, and opened the drawer. So the ammo is now going downstairs in a lockbox, the house gun is getting trigger and/or action locks, and being locked up in a safe. I guess it's back to the katana for home defense. :?
Eek...

Time to start training him in the respect of the gun.
Blergh

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:25 pm

My apartment is just 3 big rooms with high ceilingsand large doorways. Perfect for practicing or wielding large weapons. NOT THAT I CHOSE IT FOR THAT, or anything... :oops: I'm not going to take any chances on guns around the boy. I've already started teaching him: "You can only touch these when Daddy is around" is about as far as we've gotten, but he's not very trustworthy just yet. :wink: Besides, I'll only be in this place another 3 weeks, the new neighborhood is a LOT safer.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:28 pm

Jamoni wrote:My apartment is just 3 big rooms with high ceilingsand large doorways. Perfect for practicing or wielding large weapons. NOT THAT I CHOSE IT FOR THAT, or anything... :oops: I'm not going to take any chances on guns around the boy. I've already started teaching him: "You can only touch these when Daddy is around" is about as far as we've gotten, but he's not very trustworthy just yet. :wink: Besides, I'll only be in this place another 3 weeks, the new neighborhood is a LOT safer.
huh? ZS Moving party coming up?
Blergh

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:38 pm

Jamoni wrote:Besides, I'll only be in this place another 3 weeks, the new neighborhood is a LOT safer.
Kick ass. Congrats.

I kind of agree with the_klenzer's thoughts on using a firearm as home security in the City. Police responce isn't that bad in St. Louis (depending on your neighborhood or course) so making sure your windows and doors deture criminals from your bed room should be good enough. No point in adding an extra risk of a loaded firearm in yoru home, especially if you have children.

Having a firearm in a location thats not too hard to get to isn't a bad idea as a back up though.

However, if you live in the middle of nowhere and police response is longer than 10 minutes you would be a fool to not have a home security firearm handy.

I keep my weapons lock up in my home but I keep a baseball bat near every door and a crow bar next to my bed.

Don't get me wrong though. If you want to use a firearm for home protection in the city I'm not against it. That's your right.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:52 pm

Having the child is the deciding factor. I've had a gun in my home for protection the past 11 years, but no one but adults has ever lived with me, and whenever kids came over, the gun was unloaded and locked up. Now, there's a PERMANENT kid here. For me, the only reason NOT to have a loaded firearm available is if it makes you or your family LESS safe. Once my boy is old enough and I trust him around guns, then I will re-evaluate.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:03 pm

I grew up with un-locked guns in the house, and unlocked ammo, too.

My dad just never explained to me that he owned any (kept'em well hidden, as I was a quiet and observant child) until I was mature enough not to want to grab at'em and play with'em -- Which for me was when I was about 7, although I know 14-16 year olds these days who I wouldn't trust with a water-pistol.

And even then, he gave me a long lecture on firearms safety, instructed me in proper use of the bow (a great first step in responsible handling of lethal weapons, might I add), trained me in the proper use of a pellet gun (which he has since passed on to me, and I plan to train my kid/s with when the time comes), had me take a firearms safety course (req'd by law anyway, but still important), and then finally let me handle his 12-gauge on the range.

That's not all he did, either. The man was thorough. That's just... The big ones, I guess.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:47 pm

Another good deterrant is simply an alarm system sticker on your door and windows. And not just a "protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker, a real name brand one, like ADT. Theives are lazy. Alarm systems make things harder. They'll move on to the next house most of the time.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:16 pm

"Wesson"? You cover your house in corn oil?

My deterent is big, black and barks like crazy until you get in the house. Then he kind of sits there and waits for you to pet him.
Blergh

Maj.Exec

Night stand

Post by Maj.Exec » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:22 pm

My dad did what I think is the better course of options. When i was little (2-8 yrs old) he let me see the guns when he was around, let me look, prod and what not. But he always underlined the rules of safety. This taught me to be respectful of firearms. Now that I'm older, he openly trusts me with a firearm, which I feel a lot of pride in. I dunno, this seemed to work for me. :)
They're coming to get you Barbara...

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:47 pm

noncyr wrote:Then he kind of sits there and waits for you to pet him.
Liar. That monster will knock your ass down after running circles around you for a bit.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:47 pm

kyle wrote:
noncyr wrote:Then he kind of sits there and waits for you to pet him.
Liar. That monster will knock your ass down after running circles around you for a bit.
Great. Give away all of my secrets...
Blergh

mechgogo

fun w/guns

Post by mechgogo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:22 pm

A)Anybody ever hear the one about the guy who brought the knife to a gunfight?Works with sticks too

B) For those who live in an area where the law punishes the homeowner for defending his family and property just memorize this phrase and learn to say it with a straight face. "He came at me, I heard a bang and the next thing I remember, I was standing over him clicking trigger on the gun." Then if. Gods forbid you have to actually shoot someone, dump the whole mag into the idiot and plead not guilty. Dont say anything else to the cops til a lawyer shows up and then when you get asked rember 1)"I was in fear of my life and the lives of my family. It was dark and I thought he was armed." 2)"I was just trying to scare him off. I would never intentionally kill another human being unless they were attacking me." It doesnt take much for a jury to give a guy a pass on defending their home and loved ones. Next time it might be them in the hotseat. And never forget

Better judged by 12 than carried by 6
Of course, there's nothing in the rules that says I can't kick you in the fork so hard you suddenly go deaf." Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment.

Raccoon City Survivor

Post by Raccoon City Survivor » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:26 pm

Oh...My...God...

So many things wrong.

Please, Mech, no more.

mechgogo

fun w/guns

Post by mechgogo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 pm

What? This is the advice I got from a COP for cripe sake. That and make sure the body is fully inside you home and none of the entry wounds are in his rear arc. Personally, Ive got two women who mean more to me than anybody on the planet living with me. And they both want to have kids by me. And if you think about it, it's pretty common-sensical. If you dont wanna die, dont go house breaking in a country with so many gall-danged guns in private hands. If you must go house breaking in such a country, when you hear someone who lives there say "Get out of my house I HAVE A GUN" find or make an exit immediately. I know lotsa folks with guns and a few who have pulled then in defense of home and family. I cant remember the last time I even saw on the news where somebody shot a fleeing burglar in the back.
Of course, there's nothing in the rules that says I can't kick you in the fork so hard you suddenly go deaf." Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 pm

Where's our list mom?
Blergh

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”