Nightstand Armory

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nicklefish

Nightstand Armory

Post by nicklefish » Tue May 25, 2004 10:10 pm

There was a severe thunderstorm last night, and as the lightning flashed, I saw what appeared to be a human figure lumbering around outside my window. Frightened, I reached for my combat gurkhi. I'm pretty sure what I saw was something more along the lines of a trash can, or something similar, and my imagination ran away with me. Then it occured to me. I sleep with weapons well within reach of my bed. I don't belive this is strange behavior, do you? I have two combat gurkhis, one on either side of my bed, and an aluminum baseball bat just a little farther out. What do you people sleep with under your pillow?
Don't make excuses. Make results.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Tue May 25, 2004 10:16 pm

You probably don't want to know :D
But I do have a sword and a pistol handy.

Oh, and the reason you don't think it's odd is that you are a guy. It's like sitting with your back to a wall so you can see the door. Women think it's nuts, guys don't even need it explained.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Tue May 25, 2004 11:25 pm

Glock 17 w/ 15 in the mag, and one in the hole.
Author of the hit Day by Day Armageddon series and dystopian thriller, Tomorrow War
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Tue May 25, 2004 11:29 pm

Oh man, I'm a twitch about seeing exits. Myself? I sleep well within reach of a plethora of melee weapons. A nice club fashioned out of the better half of a shovel's handle and a two foot wrench being the ones I would reach for first.
Even the purest of zen can be interupted by blunt force trauma.
-Jonas

You guys are so unamerican it's killing my dog. -Cyr

Joe Ghoul

Post by Joe Ghoul » Wed May 26, 2004 1:03 am

I sleep with my 9mm and a flashlight within reach. I also keep a shotgun loaded with 7 1/2 shot, buck and slugs under the bed. That should be suffiently devastating in extemely close ranges.

Alanta has a real big problem with armed, violent home invasions. They usually are after drugs, but seem to hit the wrong houses more times than not. 6 feet away is the closet where I keep my guns and ammo. I keep a loaded 40 round mag in my AK, just in case. If I ever hear my door crash in, and hear several voices, I'm grabbing that.

Some people just take the fact that I have guns next to my bed in stride. Others seem very disturbed by it.
Strap on your weapons and reinforce your means of travel.

C'est la (un)vie!

outkast

Post by outkast » Wed May 26, 2004 4:24 pm

Well, I'm a kid so I don't have any guns next to my bed, but I do keep a battle axe in arms reach. My dad has a safe, but he keeps one pistol in his night stand.
What would Bruce Campbell do?

badseed

Post by badseed » Wed May 26, 2004 4:30 pm

my husband keeps a bat by the front door, a metal bar by the back door, a tire iron next to the driver's seat in our car & a few other clubs & what not stashed under our furniture.

Red Panda
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Red Panda » Wed May 26, 2004 9:57 pm

All I have is a 3-C Maglite at the side of my bed.

Good for illumination during blackouts & also quite handy for bludgeoning!

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Wed May 26, 2004 10:02 pm

My bare hands, a small buck knife, and a noose(just learned how the tie them, and I have been practicin', something from useful from scouts).

Don't think I will suffice to well from a nightly zombie attack in my room.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed May 26, 2004 10:20 pm

I think you could forego the noose. I don't think the phrase "Well, then I slipped a noose over his head and strangled him" Would qualify you for a self-defense plea :D
In other news, here's a tip for your car. Keep an open toolbox on the passenger side floorboard. With, you know, a B.F. Wrench, a B.F. Hammer, a B.F. Screwdriver... etc. etc. Perfectly legal to have tools in the car, ain't it? :twisted:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Wed May 26, 2004 11:13 pm

Yeah the noose won't help to much, unless I plan to wrangle the bugger for show and tell. :)

nicklefish

Post by nicklefish » Wed May 26, 2004 11:22 pm

You could tie it to a stake in some skeptics front yard with a sign hanging from it saying "I told you so."

nicklefish

Post by nicklefish » Wed May 26, 2004 11:24 pm

You could tie it to a stake in some skeptics front yard with a sign hanging from it saying "I told you so."

Aminator

Post by Aminator » Wed May 26, 2004 11:35 pm

i have my trusty golfclub that has come in handy in a couple of late night situations and an oak walking stick leaning against the headboard. i also have two small pocketknives (newly sharpened) less than two feet away. it isn't just the men who think ahead. i never sit where i can't see an exit (preferably all of them) and i HATE having people i don't know, and some i do, behind me. most people, even my closest friends, think i'm just paranoid, insecure, untrusting, and just generally cold and hateful. and they are pretty much right. i don't really trust anyone anymore and i wish i had stayed that way all along.

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Thu May 27, 2004 12:35 am

Yeah. I hate not being able to see exits. I get antsy, especially if it is in a public place. In my home i'm usually fine, but I can be really jumpy if I'm not facing a door. When not in school I usually carry my knife around too. It's small but I sure wouldn't want to mess with someone weilding it. I severely dislike not having something I can use to defend myself around at all times.
-Jonas

breech ct5

Post by breech ct5 » Thu May 27, 2004 2:27 am

i have a bed sheet under my pillow
**NEWS FLASH, THIS JUST IN** - ZOMBIES ARE NOT REAL, PLEASE RECAP YOUR CRAZY GLUE AND REPLACE IT IN THE DRAWER, THANK YOU

Sam

Post by Sam » Thu May 27, 2004 11:43 am

You could combat a zombie quite well with a bedsheet. Just throw it around him and tie it up, itll hold for at least long enough for you to run away or deliver a re-killing blow.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu May 27, 2004 1:02 pm

I saw a guy get his ass kicked with a Green-girl (Blanket) in the army. One guy threw it over the others head, and then just wailed on him through it. It was effective and strangely hilarious.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Thu May 27, 2004 3:29 pm

My nightstand armory:

One folding knife that I have loosened up so's I can operate it with just my thumb.

Mini-magLite (for to see things in the dark)

I normally keep my .357 within easy reach, but I don't keep it loaded. Would come in handy for some pistol-whippin' action.

Also: Any number of wooden items that I can shatter and turn into Shanks, shivs, etc...
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Sam

Post by Sam » Thu May 27, 2004 4:33 pm

Theres a crowbar that I found in an alley in my room right now for no apparent reason, I guess it counts as a weapon.

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Thu May 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Sam wrote:Theres a crowbar that I found in an alley in my room right now for no apparent reason, I guess it counts as a weapon.
You could always strangle them in that titanic Swiss flag.
-Jonas

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Thu May 27, 2004 5:29 pm

Strangled with a Swiss flag... What a horrible way to go.

Is it hanging on the wall, or could you beat them with a flagpole?
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Jeff
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jeff » Thu May 27, 2004 7:55 pm

Hanging. A perfect trap.
-Jonas

Methos

Post by Methos » Thu May 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Depends on where I am. Father's house, a blackened machete, mother's, a one peice steel hatchet that doubles as a 3lb sledge (on the back of the axeblade). Downstairs two katanas sit by my front door.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”