staircase destruction

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

paradoxum

staircase destruction

Post by paradoxum » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 pm

hi

ive been looking around this fourm a lot, and people keep saying if you are going to hold up in your home destroying the staircase is a must because then theoretically they have no way of reaching you.

now i dont know what kind of cardboard box homes you americans live in, but i sure is hell could not destroy the staircase in my house, im pretty certain an elephant could walk up and back down them theyre so strong and sturdy. and same goes for any house ive ever been in in my life.

the only thing 'destroyable' on my staircase would be the banister, and that would be a tough job with a sledgehammer too.

bobbyglock18

Post by bobbyglock18 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:46 pm

yea same here.
i was there when the home company was building are house and there is no way to tare down our staircase.The only way whould to take out every nail!
Guns Don't kill people
people who diddn't have guns
and are now Zombies Do!

HeresToLife88

Post by HeresToLife88 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:50 pm

a lot of staircases are made out of wood and other such stuff, an axe and time (if you have it) could do the job, or a couple of people who are really bored and have saws laying around. but i don't plan on taking out my stairs anytime.

If your really crazy you can have your stairs taken out and rebuild them with wood and screws, that'll come apart easily, especially if you had me build it :D
That'll be the day when the sun falls down, the angels may weep but i hear no sound but hey...

If and when we rise to our feet again we'll be on our own.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Re: staircase destruction

Post by kyle » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:54 pm

paradoxum wrote:now i dont know what kind of cardboard box homes you americans live in, but i sure is hell could not destroy the staircase in my house, im pretty certain an elephant could walk up and back down them theyre so strong and sturdy. and same goes for any house ive ever been in in my life.
We Americans? You'll have to excuse us. Our minds are not yet advanced enough to comprehend such things as metal and concrete. :roll:

The stairs to my apartment (or flat) are wooden. I would be able to tear them down with the right tools (which I own) and time.

I'm sure this won't work for all buildings but those that have that option may want to consider it as a possible solution to keeping the undead from getting into their shelter.

Try a reciprocal saw.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

paradoxum

Post by paradoxum » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:05 pm

would you prefer if i said "you people who live in america" or something? i wasnt an insult i was simply saying americans because everyone on this board seems to be, *OHMYGOD* from AMERICA! wow you never have guessed that would you. geeze. i guess your mind, kyle isnt advanced enough to understand that eh.

just understand its not an insult for godsake..

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:17 pm

paradoxum wrote:would you prefer if i said "you people who live in america" or something? i wasnt an insult i was simply saying americans because everyone on this board seems to be, *OHMYGOD* from AMERICA! wow you never have guessed that would you. geeze. i guess your mind, kyle isnt advanced enough to understand that eh.

Got it. You did slightly come off as condescending. Just so you know, there are also a lot of people on here from Europe and Canada as well as a few from Asia, South America, Africa, Australia, etc. The "tear down the stairs" idea isn't monopolized by Americans.

Regardless, I'm sure that wasn't the point in your post. I hope my response helped to answer your question. There are quite a lot of buildings out in the world with wooden staircases that could be dropped if needed. It's just something to keep in mind.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:20 pm

kyle wrote:
paradoxum wrote:would you prefer if i said "you people who live in america" or something? i wasnt an insult i was simply saying americans because everyone on this board seems to be, *OHMYGOD* from AMERICA! wow you never have guessed that would you. geeze. i guess your mind, kyle isnt advanced enough to understand that eh.

Got it. You did slightly come off as condescending. Just so you know, there are also a lot of people on here from Europe and Canada as well as a few from Asia, South America, Africa, Australia, etc. The "tear down the stairs" idea isn't monopolized by Americans.

Regardless, I'm sure that wasn't the point in your post. I hope my response helped to answer your question. There are quite a lot of buildings out in the world with wooden staircases that could be dropped if needed. It's just something to keep in mind.

Must be from England... :roll:

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 pm

It's not a good idea to talk like that to the owner of the site. :lol:

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:55 am

Well I'm no expert, but have done my fair share of assisting friends and family with renovations (including tearing up stairs). There are very few things that cannot be taken apart with a crowbar and some sweat (I suspect adrenalin wouldn't hurt either if there were zombies involved).

Unless they're steel or concrete they WILL come apart....

Iron

Post by Iron » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:48 am

Wooden stairs
Chain Saw
30 to 60 seconds
CANNIBALS. Ever see a slime drive a car? These vermin fit the bill.
Poorly armed and led, they are easily dispatched.

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:12 am

Why tear them down? Just remove the bottom half, and use the boards for something else. A cheap prybar and a hammer could do that easily. No need to destroy the staircase, just disable its use.
Author of the hit Day by Day Armageddon series and dystopian thriller, Tomorrow War
JLBourne.com
Official Facebook

multipass

Post by multipass » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:29 am

Bear_B wrote:
kyle wrote:

Must be from England... :roll:
If he an english man, i want his name, i want his ass.
[imitation upperclass englishmen voice ON] We english men are gentlemen and do not act in ushc dispicable ways.

Viat

Post by Viat » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 pm

My entire house is full of concrete stairs and ramps. There aren't even clearly defined 'storeys', as most rooms have a staircase up to higher levels. My only chance so far as stairs go is that zombies will fall down them and snap their necks. And this one weird door I have, from my roof to inside, where they were apparently supposed to build a staircase - never happened, it's a sheer drop.

Cricket

Post by Cricket » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:54 pm

If your stairs are solid, i'd imagine stripping it down to the base concrete, setting up some 2x4's around it in a base, and filling it with concrete, then sticking some more 2x4s into it vertically, letting it dry, and nailing some more up.

Thats like a days worth of work, and it makes a pretty sturdy barrier, now all you need is a rope ladder, and keep piling up useless garbage in from of your barrier.

Voila.

Viat

Post by Viat » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:13 pm

That's not really something that I could do when TSHTF though.

damaja

Post by damaja » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:18 pm

I staircase would be more use if you barricaded it up from the top. You could always remove it, and aslong as the zombies don't bring axes and chainsaws, they wouldn't be able to do anything to it if you did it well. Unless they are intelligent.....

Viat

Post by Viat » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:23 pm

Although you removing it would probably mean that all of the zombies crowding up to the top of the staircase were gone - sorta unlikely. I think barricading the top just creates a weakness in your defences that you could do without. Although if you're gonna be trapped in your house I think you're pretty much screwed anyway...

damaja

Post by damaja » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:32 pm

Well, I live in a 24 storey building, and destroying the staircases is not possible. But they would be easy to barricade so they would be impassable from below.

My building would actually be very good to defend. Many people could stay quite comfortably, very safely (feeding them would be more difficult).

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:29 pm

Wait. Where is the staircase in question located?

Secondly, what kind are they? In America (Reno, anyway) the cement stairs used in emergencies in student dormitories are only rated at 1,000 pounds. To my way of thinking, a stagger numbering in the hundreds could crack the stairs with their own weight.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

TOGLE

Post by TOGLE » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:58 pm

I think raptorman hit it on the head. Destruction is an option, but just simply making it impassable has the same results. That was an option I was dealing with with my aprt. when it was pointed out to me that after a tenth of deconstruction to the mammoth thing that i would already have more than enough material to barricade the rest. Making it much faster of a chore. But then again thats my stair case. I'm sure with lighter ones you can look at a whole other set of factors.
"Uchi No Kaisha"

dirtydwarf

Post by dirtydwarf » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:24 am

NO WAY. Destroying the stairs is not an option. It would so devalue your home :P

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by kyle » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:15 am

dirtydwarf wrote:NO WAY. Destroying the stairs is not an option. It would so devalue your home :P
I bet that having lower intestines spread all over the living room will lower its value as well.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:20 pm

kyle wrote:
dirtydwarf wrote:NO WAY. Destroying the stairs is not an option. It would so devalue your home :P
I bet that having lower intestines spread all over the living room will lower its value as well.
Depends on whose looking to buy it....

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”