The one thing I never see anyone doing to prepare...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rush2112

The one thing I never see anyone doing to prepare...

Post by Rush2112 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 am

Is, IMHO, the most important thing you can do.

Yeah, sure, you've got your multi-thousand-dollar AR or your 300 dollar AK, a dozen magazines, with thousands of rounds, a Gerber combat knife, camo pants, techwick shirts, a sidearm with five magazines, and top-of-the-line quality camping gear and survival equipment.

I've met dozens of people like this who think they're prepared because they've got all this junk and know how to use it. Yes, you have the skills...it's very easy to light a fire with flint and tinder if you drove to your campsite and you're nice and rested, not to mention unburdened by the fact that there's matches in the car if you can't get it right. But what happens if you're forced to strap on that expensive MOLLE/ALICE pack and hoof it twenty miles through urban terrain (god knows what that entails in SHTF), woods, mountains, bogs, etc all before you even get to light that fire?

That's right folks...I'm talking physical conditioning. Even here, on this site (and others), if you'll pardon my bluntness, I have noticed that some of you are quite...large to put it nicely. I'm not making fun of you, I'm just wondering whether you've taken into account that you'll be moving fast for long distances and with a lot of gear on your back.

My whole life I've been the skinny athletic type. My buddies have all been slightly overweight and the whole time it was just a huge pain in the ass to wait for them all the time. I had an active childhood (compared to most children anyway) We rode miles a day on our bikes by the time we were ten, and probably could have done more if we weren't waiting for our out-of-shape friends. Two years ago, I climbed Mt Washington with a buddy. I could have run that sucker up and down in the time it took my buddy to make it to the top...and then he had to rest...a lot.

Now, I'm not a big guy (5'11'', 150 LBS) but I've got my own physical issues I'd like to work out. I'm strong, stronger than I look. I often surprise people that way. That mostly comes from the few thousand gallons of paint I stock at Home Depot every Thursday night. However, now that good weather is coming I'll be working on my cardio and leg muscles to regain my hiking stamina. Right now, if I had to bug out, I can say that after not walking much all winter except for at work, I would be much worse off than I was at the end of last summer. My distance and speed may be greatly diminished.

So my question is what are you people doing to prepare physically? My dad is quitting drinking so much beer to lose the gut that is causing large amounts of damage to his back (he and I haven't camped/hiked/backpacked together in years because of this.), I'm going to walk my dog daily and continue doing exercises along with possibly jogging more. I'll probably also eat less detrimental food because my IBS makes walking long distances a problem sometimes if I've eaten something I shouldn't.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:15 am

I'm a fat fuck, but I spend my (limited) free time in the outdoors walking, boating, geocaching, skiing, etc...

I can carry additional weight (up to, and beyond, my son's 65 pounds) for miles in all sorts of weather, and still be OK to set up camp, and make supper before dark...

That being said, if surviving the ZPAW requires my scampering up steep vertical inclines, then I'm screwed...I can cover miles and miles on relatively level (or even rolling) ground, but continuous uphill terrain kicks my ass...luckily, most hills can be avoided or walked around in my experience...

That being said, I'm trying to increase my endurance and drop some of the lard off of my frame...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

lexnaturalis

Post by lexnaturalis » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:35 am

(My first reply to a real thread! :))

I've actually gone backpacking before and I plan on going backpacking again several times this year, so I have some experience carrying a heavy pack and then setting up a camp and fire after I get there.

Recently I also started a fitness regime to get myself ready to potentially join the military next year, so I've been running, swimming, and doing general calisthenics to get ready. I'm trying to lose around 10-15lbs (I'm 5'11", ~170lbs) and build endurance, but in a pinch I could still hoof it through the woods with a pack (hopefully I'd have time to get my good boots).
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. -John Adams

spartan

Post by spartan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 am

As I learned from hiking and knocking about with some of the folks on here, body shape is not an indicator of physical fitness, so I don't josh them too much. The only person who gets that is a buddy of mine who is a right fat bastard, but who can rundown a kid on foot and execute a takedown while on the move(he's in juvenile detention).

As for my physical reform, I walk whenever possible, hike when I can (the section of AT near me is wicked), practice softball with my daughter, garden, mow the yard, anything I can to keep my body moving. It doesn't beat me up and I enjoy it.

I also quit smoking. Which is great for my lungs and endurance, but has put a bit of a paunch in my waistline. For anyone who wants to quit, or is thinking about it, I whole heartedly recommend Chantix. Amazingly good stuff. 10 weeks smoke free with no serious cravings.

Rush2112, I suffer from IBS and know its a pain to have to rush off to the bushes or find a place to make a pit stop all of a sudden, but it can be dealt with and managed. Thankfully it isn't life threatening, to the best of the knowledge I have been given, just inconvenient. Just make sure to carry a small shovel and some TP. :D
Official ZSC-002 Brass Magnet

alterego

Re: The one thing I never see anyone doing to prepare...

Post by alterego » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:53 am

Rush2112 wrote:......My whole life I've been the skinny athletic type........I had an active childhood............ I could have run that sucker up and down in the time it took my buddy to make it to the top...and then he had to rest...a lot...... Now, I'm not a big guy (5'11'', 150 LBS)....
Lucky you :P

+1 to nfa

and....

While I agree with you in principle, I must, as a "larger" poster here just remind you that not everyone is a naturally athletically built person. Nor does the "largeness" of said individuals directly correlate to what they might or might not be capable of hiking. Some people (I assume like yourself) are gifted with speed and stamina where some are slow and need breaks. Sure, some of the offset in the physical capabilities of said individuals may indeed be conditioning, but I bet a significant portion of the difference may also be inherent physical aptitude.

All that said, I am a big guy. I am 6'3" and weigh about 285lbs. I think that it is far to say that I am out of shape and "large". However I will never be 5'11" or under 200 lbs. I am large. I may weigh more than I should but will never be anything less than large.

Now all that said, last September I did a 22+ mile hike in the Tetons (in the same physical condition I am now) on a whim. It ascended and descended over 3000 ft. I am sure you could have done it faster, but I did it. I carried a light pack over 20 miles, in the mountains, without any previous training regimen. Not to mention the starting elevation was 6000 ft higher than where I've lived my entire life. Yeah I took breaks. Yeah it hurt. No, I couldn't breath. But, I enjoyed every minute of it and could walk the next day too (not that I wanted to).

I can't speak to your intentions with your OP, but as a large person I take offense (whether the OP says "no offense" or not) when a individual who has been in good physical condition their entire life takes it upon themselves to judge what I am capable of doing. Much less complains about his/her frustration of always having to wait on their "larger" friends.

To conclude my rebuttal to your comments, no damage has been done. I will give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the intention of your post. Yes, we should all work to better ourselves in every aspect of life, and I do agree that physical conditioning is often overlooked. Just know that "large" people can be (not that I speak for them all) disgruntled when a "skinny freak" (as I like to call them :D) makes statements like you did.

I think I'll go for a walk...... :wink:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ---Benjamin Franklin

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ---Thomas Jefferson

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Re: The one thing I never see anyone doing to prepare...

Post by BEar667 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:17 pm

alterego wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:......My whole life I've been the skinny athletic type........I had an active childhood............ I could have run that sucker up and down in the time it took my buddy to make it to the top...and then he had to rest...a lot...... Now, I'm not a big guy (5'11'', 150 LBS)....
Lucky you :P

+1 to nfa

and....

While I agree with you in principle, I must, as a "larger" poster here just remind you that not everyone is a naturally athletically built person. Nor does the "largeness" of said individuals directly correlate to what they might or might not be capable of hiking. Some people (I assume like yourself) are gifted with speed and stamina where some are slow and need breaks. Sure, some of the offset in the physical capabilities of said individuals may indeed be conditioning, but I bet a significant portion of the difference may also be inherent physical aptitude.

All that said, I am a big guy. I am 6'3" and weigh about 285lbs. I think that it is far to say that I am out of shape and "large". However I will never be 5'11" or under 200 lbs. I am large. I may weigh more than I should but will never be anything less than large.

Now all that said, last September I did a 22+ mile hike in the Tetons (in the same physical condition I am now) on a whim. It ascended and descended over 3000 ft. I am sure you could have done it faster, but I did it. I carried a light pack over 20 miles, in the mountains, without any previous training regimen. Not to mention the starting elevation was 6000 ft higher than where I've lived my entire life. Yeah I took breaks. Yeah it hurt. No, I couldn't breath. But, I enjoyed every minute of it and could walk the next day too (not that I wanted to).

I can't speak to your intentions with your OP, but as a large person I take offense (whether the OP says "no offense" or not) when a individual who has been in good physical condition their entire life takes it upon themselves to judge what I am capable of doing. Much less complains about his/her frustration of always having to wait on their "larger" friends.

To conclude my rebuttal to your comments, no damage has been done. I will give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the intention of your post. Yes, we should all work to better ourselves in every aspect of life, and I do agree that physical conditioning is often overlooked. Just know that "large" people can be (not that I speak for them all) disgruntled when a "skinny freak" (as I like to call them :D) makes statements like you did.

I think I'll go for a walk...... :wink:
+1
I am a large person, I have decent stamina, and my endurance is good. No I am not what is considered "in good shape", but I am in no way lazy, or anything like that. It annoys me to no end, when someone judges me (or others like me) with out having walked a mile in my shoes.
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

Feeney

Post by Feeney » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 pm

+1 to nfa

I, too, am a big guy at 6'3" and 250 but I can hoof-it all day when I need to. One thing I will say in agreement to your point is that as you get OLDER it gets harder to stay in shape. I just turned 41 and can tell you some things are not as easy as they used to be. I hit the gym and run when I can and I started playing paintball on a regular basis last year. I think staying active is the important thing.

Jaxon06
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any of the "Dead" series.

Post by Jaxon06 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm 52, with a 66% permanent/partial disability (state pension legalize). Bad knees, bad back, and a variety of assorted issues - I came in 2nd place in a cruiser vs. semi contest. :wink:

Anyway, while I use to be in excellent condition, I'm not now. I walk everyday, and try to stay in as good a shape as I can.

All of that said, I can walk a fair distance. I haven't tried lately with my BOB and firearms, but could probably survive for a bit (with my wife).

Which is why I'm leaning more toward BI than BO. Or at least use the PV for the BO phase of running for my life.
RJ
ZSC:022
"Last wish? I wish.. you had.. more time. " John Creasy

bkebs

Post by bkebs » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:24 pm

I quit smoking so I could freaking walk again. However, I have gained about 10 pounds since. I try to walk about a mile or so a day after work to get the dog and I some exercise. I need to drop 25 pounds to be back to good shape.

I plan on cutting a few cords of wood this summer. That should do well to get me back in shape. That or kill me.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:25 pm

I like to work out and discovered it during high school. I've also tried my best to not let myself go.

I'm not arnold by any stretch of the imagination and it took a long time for me to be able to do the things I can do. I also try to help others on the path to fitness. I believe it's a lifestyle choice and it doesn't happen overnight, but with time and perseverance it can happen for anyone. You only need to put the time in and pay the price. That price is sweat.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

unkieford

Post by unkieford » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 pm

I'm 5'3" and about 205 lbs. According to the standards, I am 'morbidly obese'. This is NOT an accurate decscription, however.
I have stubby legs. I can't keep up when people run, but I can hike all day carrying a pack that weighs over 100 lbs. I can climb 5.9 right off the couch. I can lift and throw my own bodyweight without too much stress.
How do I stay in shape? easy... I'm a freight handler.
But I admit, I need more cardio training. Maybe it's time to buy a new mountain bike?

---Ford---
He was one of God's own prototypes... a sort of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. He was too strange to live, and too rare to die. ---HST---

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 pm

The members of my group have varying levels of physical fitness, but all of us are working on them. I personally keep myself in good physical shape for myriad reasons that do not involve fast zombies pouring out of the morgue howling for my blood.

Keep in mind that a hike in full kit is the most relevant exercize to a Bug Out Situation, and you don't need to be a chiseled spartan deity to accomplish this. Mental toughness, cardio conditioning and carrying ability are the most relevant attributes, not your bench max or your sprint time.

In other words, conditioning is important, but the right kind of conditioning is critical, and that kind of conditioning can be accomplished, even by fairly stout individuals.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Maxxtactix

Post by Maxxtactix » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:59 pm

You make a good point dude, if we are talking about a pedestrian bugout with time constraints, but consider this: I am 38 and in my twenties I was in great shape, 6-6 230, 4-5% body fat. Now I am the same weight and more like 12% or more body fat, with noticeably smaller muscles. I do have plans to remedy this and no smoking is on the agenda. But as I remember it, back then it seemed like I could never eat enough, my body was a furnace and just burned up whatever I ate, literally. I was hungry ALL the time. Now I am not saying being out of shape is better I am only suggesting that in a survival/ low calorie/ starvation situation, being lean might not the best place to start from. If you are cut and lean and another is a 35 pounds overweight, who do you think will starve first on 800 cals a day? Remember the old nude paintings by Rembrandt and other famous artists? All the women were slightly plump by todays standards. Those were the ones eating good, the sexiest, healthiest shape in a world where food was a little scarcer. Just a thought...for every negative there is usually a positive. :lol:
“If the devil does not exist, and man has therefore created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness”

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:55 pm

I'm large, but I'm not obese. I'ld say I'm about half mesomorphic and half endomorphic. I'm 6 foot 2.5 and 220 with maybe 10-15% body fat. Some people are natually retentive of fat and efficient at getting it out of food. While it sucks in modern society, the "pot belly" is actually one of the better evolutionary advantages. It mainlines into your liver so that when you're starving you can efficiently convert the fat to energy. In this era of plenty, pot bellies lead to increased sclerosis of the liver and can end in liver failure. However, in a PAW, you could "live off the land" for a good bit by eating your own fat.

That said, most backpackers agree that you don't want your body fat to dip below 5%.

Personally, I hike about every other week or every 3 weeks. It's a whole day of hiking, usually around 12-15 miles of hilly terrain or up to 20 of flat. I have a 15 pound UL daypack, and the internet calculator says that that's about 3000 calories. I live on a restricted calorie diet of anywhere from 900-1300 calories a day. I also do situps and pushups to keep my muscles from atrophy.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:23 pm

I agree and disagree with this.

FIRST let me say that MOST Americans (let alone we who are charged with defending humanity against the zombie menace) are in SEVERE need for some physical activity in their lives. I'm seeing the usual responces to the allegation of being out of shape; "I'm fat but healthy", etc.

If you are FAT, you are NOT healthy. Period. I say this as someone who has been overweight most of my life. I'm 6'1" and clock in at 260. I too am "morbidly obese" by medical standards.
However, I walk over 6 miles a day around campus, hike on the weekends, do a LOT of strenuous physical activity outside (gardening, carpentry, chopping wood, etc.) I do all these things well and don't see my weight as an impediment, BUT...
I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. I could do all these things longer and with less energy expenditure if I lost that additional 60 pounds. I would be HEALTHIER if I lost that weight. I could perform better in an emergency situation if I LOST THAT WEIGHT. Everything else is an excuse.

I've been dieting my whole life. I fight my weight daily and KNOW that losing weight is, possibly, the hardest thing you can ever do. I'm not talking about dropping 10lbs here. I'm talking about someone who is 50+ lbs overweight and have carried it for years, like myself.

So, yes, in order to perform more effienttly in an emergency situation, if you have an additional 50lbs, you need to drop it. In contrast, simply because you may qualify as "fatass" doesn't mean you will be huffin O2 every 10 steps in the PAW. Just make sure you keep that trigger finger in shape. :lol:

Anyone that disagrees can get some exercise by chasing my bigass around this forum :twisted:
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

E

Post by E » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Now that its getting warm, I'm getting back on my bike and hitting the trails. Two weekends ago I did 25 miles in about 2 hours. By the end of summer, I'm hoping to do the entire C&O canal in 15 hours. Yeah, I got some work to do, but it's entirely possible. I rock climb at least 2 times a week for about 4 hours at a time, and I have a good 2 miles I walk each day between classes and work.

I'm the same as OP, athletic and "scrawny" as some people put it (6'0, 150 lbs) I feel that everyone, no matter how in shape they are, can have some kind of improvement physically. It's not like it's going to hurt you :P

just my .02
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:57 pm

I agree with the OP, we all could use more exercise.

And since some people come off as being offended that others don't view your tactical calorie holding arse as the bees knees in the PAW... unless you're living in Gulag like conditions more exercise cannot hurt you. Yes everyone has different body types. No, getting a good run in the morning before work is not a bad thing.

Fast > Slow
Strong > Weak
Smart > Dumb.

No exceptions.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

marzpan

Post by marzpan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:15 pm

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311

Besides, who says being skinny is always being healthy? New scanner shows up hidden fat inside the body

Fat or thin, if your personal habits suck, then most likely your health sucks. Also, it's just as disrespectful to assume a fat person doesn't eat right or exercise as it is to assume a thin person throws up their lunch or is a crack whore. Raging stereotypes don't help anyone. :evil:

Armed Hippie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Armed Hippie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Martial arts two time a week, I walk or ride a bike almost everywhere I go and I try to lift weights two times a week and run or go inlines-training twice a week as well. Still, I have to cut down more on fat and sugar than I've already done if I want to get in shape again.

I know people who train less than me and don't care what they eat and that still are skinny, life really isn't fair. :lol:
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:24 pm

JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Plenty of people on these boards are getting helthier - even me. You just need to look around in threads.

Things I've done this year to make myself helathier:

Walk 16 flights of staris 2-3 times per week at the office on lunch break. 16 flights works out to about 300 burned calories including the warm up and post stretching I do. @0 miinutes of activity.

2-3 times per week I do the Fit Deck. Just a deck of cards with exercises on it. I deal out 7-10 cards and do the exercises. 175-200 calories burned per session.

Saturday morning walks in my pedestrian friendly neighborhood.

Quite eating so much junk food. Still eat it but not every day. Eat more fish and chicken breasts and veggies. Whole grains too.

Quit drinking alcohol as of February 3rd.

I've also got a full check-up and other than being fat, I'm pretty fucking healthy. Speaking of fat, I've lost 18.5 pounds since February.

Many others on this forum have done stuff too - more than me for sure.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Stop getting down on yourself. Every step taken is a step foreward. In the RIGHT direction.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Funk

Post by Funk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Im a beanpole like the op. 5'11" 150 lbs. Yes it has its advantages especially when hiking and climbing but it also has its drawbacks. Being fit and conditioned is more important than your genetic body type though. You can pick your friends, but you cant pick your parents.

Im in my 30's and i can still climb ropes and trees with just my arms. When i hike i usually leave my bigger buddy in the dust and often take breaks i wouldn't just to give him a breather. I can swim, bike and run faster than he can. Yeah, if we happen to be running from zombies not only does he make a nicer looking steak than i do, but they stand a much better chance at catching him.

He is bigger, stronger and more powerful. When i need heavy stuff moved, he helps and does a considerably better job than I do. If i got injured on the trail, he could drag my ass out Im sure. Someone my size would have a much harder time at that. Need a dead tree pushed over or a door knocked down, im sure as hell not the best candidate for the job between us. From my limited experience in boxing and wrestling and mixed ma, i can assure you its not a winning situation to give up 100 pounds to the other guy, even if 50 of it is fat. Oh and big guys are more intimidating, dont neglect the advantage of simply looking like a rock vs a stick.

I have always wished i had more fat and muscle myself because i kinda felt cursed with the skinny dude genetics and the metabolism of a hamster. I could probably survive about 1 week without food and be too weakened to continue whereas someone with fat reserves could double that easily. Do what works best for you and accentuate your strong points cause the grass always seems to be greener...

MS8725

Post by MS8725 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:07 pm

I constantly train for fire season. I am a Structural/Wildland Firefighter we have to pass the pack test (also called the work capacity test,45lb pack 3 miles in 45min or under) and a physical agility test. Stress does wonderful and terrible things to a person. I think I would do alright in a bugout. The family goes with me on day hikes. WE have traveled I think 10 miles on foot one day, even the little one. Just kind of poking along so I think they will be okay. But we are always seeking improvement. Marzpan was right about the assumptions. Everybody is different. I am still a Fat Guy by some standards. I'm 225-230. A year ago I was 290, but I think the 185 lbs the BMI tables tell me I should be at to barely be "healthy" is also a stretch, so did my Doctor. Yes there is such a thing as too fat. But physical fitness counts for a lot of that. It's a whole package. I can run a 7:30 mile but a super skinny coworker nearly passes out at 9:00, so am I really that unhealthy? The only way to better yourself though is to not stop and always strive for improvement. Even the smallest reduction in weight or time on a walk/run/hike or an increase in distance is a victory. Victory inspires victory. A Teacher and friend of mine used to say "It's not your aptitude but your attitude that determines your altitude." I will step off the soap box now :D
“The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."-Edgar, King Lear

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”