So they think Im crazy....

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zevi

So they think Im crazy....

Post by Zevi » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:00 pm

Ok, I've pretty much figured out that the majority of society isn't as
for the whole 'zombies are gonna get us' thing as I am, my parents being the same. Now Im almost positive I can't sway my mom into even considering the possibilty and my dad has only gone so far as to teach me how to shoot a gun. Now I'd hate to die because my oldies are a pair of doubters so I'd like to hear some suggestions on how I can acquire some materials for a B.O.B without saying to people 'Yo dude, I need some money to buy non-perishable foodstuffs so that I can survive the zombacolypse"
I blame lag for all my problems
'dum vivimus, vivamus'

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:08 pm

Use the same techniques as mass-religion and start preaching to everyone you see. :D

Zevi

Post by Zevi » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:34 pm

Gallagher wrote:Use the same techniques as mass-religion and start preaching to everyone you see. :D
Yeah, my guidance counselor told me to stop that...^^;
He says there's no such thing as zombies....and that I never saw that UFO...and the that the guys in white are my friends...
'dum vivimus, vivamus'

shoktrooper

supplies

Post by shoktrooper » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:00 pm

Is there an army/navy surplus in your area? good place to pick up an alice pack, MREs and other various survival goodies.
Do not cry tears for me, I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years but by the deeds of men.

Zevi

Re: supplies

Post by Zevi » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:06 pm

shoktrooper wrote:Is there an army/navy surplus in your area? good place to pick up an alice pack, MREs and other various survival goodies.
Ay, the problem there lies in explaing to my mom why I'm bringing military surplus into the house. I highly doubt I can say 'Why am I buying rations? Well I think that long after the zombies get you I'll still like eating food....wait...did I say zombies?'
'dum vivimus, vivamus'

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:45 pm

Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

multipass

Post by multipass » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:36 am

Zevi wrote:
Gallagher wrote:Use the same techniques as mass-religion and start preaching to everyone you see. :D
Yeah, my guidance counselor told me to stop that...^^;
He says there's no such thing as zombies....and that I never saw that UFO...and the that the guys in white are my friends...
Never trust thoose men in white coats, they are NOT your freinds. now the voices, the quite demonic ones that tell me to slaughter everything that isnt freidnly, are the ones you should listen to and be freinds there with. they can get you through some hard times. :D

Now seriously, you could cover over the fact with you are preparing for any survival situation. do you live in a earthquake/hurricane/tornado risk area? if so there is a good reason to be bringing that gear into the house, and maybe get your folks to do the same.

TOGLE

Post by TOGLE » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:11 am

Kyle's link covered what I was gonna say. But a word of advice, don't be too deceptive. The life-givers often become worried when the offspring begins stokepiling angry pointy things, cuduals, and loboto-tools in a sneeky tip-toed fashion (it's true, I saw it on a National geographic). This cannot make for a zen-like living enviorment for anyone involved. Most of what you need for a desent B.O.B can be found around the house or lacking that at big lots or the always impressive goodwill (It may not be fancy, but I feel name brands will have less importance in the P.A.W.). There is a great artical on B.O.B on the knowledge base that list all the basics.

Also

If fractioned off into Its basic componets, Zombie survival can be much less intimidating of a subjuct. Interest in camping, first aid, marksmanship, history of war, pre-industrial era, biology, tactics, folk-lore, emergency survival, home/self defence, etc... ect... are more likely to be encoraged, understood and discussed. I'm not saying stay "in the zombie closet" forever, just that like with all things in life, social interaction involves tactics and statigy.

just my opinion

please forgive my poor grammer and army of typos, I am sleep/coffee deprived
"Uchi No Kaisha"

Andy@SHTF.info

Post by Andy@SHTF.info » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:45 am

Ask your parents if they've ever heard of this guy named Osama?

Ask them if they've ever been in an earthquake (if you're in that part of the country,) or seen a tornado (my mom's seen many, and is terrified of them,) or if you dad was in the military during a war, ask him what it was like for the unprepared civilians.

Point them to http://www.Ready.gov

It doesn't mention weapons, but it does give some interesting pointers on getting started.

We used ot have a civil defense system in this county, but today we border in becoming the LEAST prepared nation in the world.

Andy Out!

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:09 pm

In addition to using “real world” examples of why you are trying to prepare as cover for zombie preparations, consider this: you should be preparing for “real world” emergencies.

While it may come to pass that the dead rise and begin mindlessly stalking the living, my guess is that I will be in a natural disaster or other “mundane” emergency situation before that ever happens. You can’t shoot a tornado. Being able to protect yourself and those around is certainly part of disaster preparation, but weapons will not save you from dehydration, exposure or an infection.

If your parents don’t like the idea of you stockpiling weapons and “rations”, talk to them about health and safety. It would be the rare parent that would discourage their child from learning about and being ready to deal with accidental injury.

Combine an interest in health and safety along with hiking, camping (and if possible, hunting) and you have taken some huge steps towards zombie survivalism.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:55 pm

Why hasn't your dad already taught you how to shoot?

It's what responsible gun-owning parents do.

Zevi

Post by Zevi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:16 pm

Nightside_Eclipse wrote:Why hasn't your dad already taught you how to shoot?

Ay, my grandad had already taught me (god I love old people), my moms irrational fear of guns has simply prevented me from practicing that often :cry:
Feh, people who blame objects for mans own stupidity will be the first to fall (and rise again) to the zombies.
'dum vivimus, vivamus'

Tibus

Post by Tibus » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:51 pm

Back when I was younger, my parents had a moderate stockpile of food and kept a garden so that they would have moderate gardening skills in the event that there was no more groceries left to buy. My dad was huge into boy scouts and camping. At the time I thought they were nerdy idiots. I hated working in the garden, and didn't get much out of camping. Now here I am years later doing the same thing. It's is scary how we become our parents, no matter how much you say you won't. *sigh*

To me it seems more normal for adults to be into emergency preparedness and for teenagers to be interested in video games, girls, and pizza. I suppose if one of my kids starts spending his allowance on MRE's I would think it is a little strange too.

If emergency preparedness sounds strange to your parents then I have no ideas on how to reverse that idea. Hell, I have a hard explaining to others why I am buying 3 10# cans of peaches and I am not a kid anymore.

Someday you will be able to do all these things without permission. I say, in the mean time there is a lot you can do to prepare without looking like a crack pot to your family. Go camping. Start a physical fitness program or join a sports team. Learn about what plants are edible in your area. There is a lot of information online about this stuff. If feasable go hunting or fishing. A lot of the adults on this board don't have these skills, so even without a food hoard today, there is a lot you can do to improve your odds above and beyond what the average person can handle.
Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:41 pm

Zevi wrote:
Nightside_Eclipse wrote:Why hasn't your dad already taught you how to shoot?

Ay, my grandad had already taught me (god I love old people), my moms irrational fear of guns has simply prevented me from practicing that often :cry:
Feh, people who blame objects for mans own stupidity will be the first to fall (and rise again) to the zombies.
Yeah man, it really sucks. :cry:

Andy@SHTF.info

Post by Andy@SHTF.info » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:48 pm

You can get very prepared and not look like you are. For example, some people I know love Dr. Pepper so much that they keep cases and cases of it in a spare fridge or in a closed. If we get in a crisis, that's as good as any bottled water.

I talked my mom into keeping " a case or two" of bottled water around because it would not cost her anything (she would spend the money anyway, she' just spendign it a bit earlier now) and the water could be useful in emergencies. She now keeps stacks of bottled water, bottled juice drinks, soft drinks, etc. all over.

She would have NEVER gone for MREs. A $5 meal that tastes bad, is packaged like it escaped from a bad episode of MASH, and must be beaten against a rock to heat it up is not her idea of food. I think she read about the US Govt's ham sandwich that has a shelf life of 20 years and that needs to be peed on to re-hydrate it - that turned her off to military food for good.

She also decided to keep the area under the kitchen table (they never eat at that table) full of dried and canned food. That way, there's always something to eat, but she doesn't spend any more money on Cheese-Its than she would have - she just spent it sooner.

It all started with a suggestion of buying " a case or two of bottled water" "just in case." It cost her nothing. I can not hurt anyone.

Of course, she's still very weary of my dad getting into collection military rifles. If he starts stockpiling ammo to go with them she'll freak.

Andy Out!

shoktrooper

Post by shoktrooper » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:01 pm

TOGLE hit the idea right on the head. I should have been a little bit more specific than "run to the surplus store". Outdoor hobbies are a good way to gather gear. AND it is not a good idea to be on the sly about weapons.
As far as learning how to shoot. It is one thing to be able to hit bulls-eye on a target at 300m and a completely different situation to hit same said target when under pressure or stress. Don't worry 'bout the skills, they will come in time.
Do not cry tears for me, I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years but by the deeds of men.

crazyass200

Post by crazyass200 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:37 am

Here is whatn you do instead of asking for money,If possible, Start some kind of job. And go buy the stuff and tell your parents it is for blackouts or earthquakes,floods, E.T.C. Thats all I got. Good luck kid.
when the dead rise dont come crying to me because Ill laugh in your zombified face and say i told you so. And make you suck on my big long......Machette yeah my machette.

scottym

Post by scottym » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:06 am

Live in your grandma's basement like I do, she doesnt care what I do just as long as I dont break anything
People always called me the wierd paranoid guy, at least my friends, I dont let my theories interfere with my job, watch out here they come 2012!

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:23 am

Is camping or at least hiking one of your hobbies? My folks are doubters too, but they somewhat support my activities. My whole family is into sports. I just added camping into my list. At least they don't complain that I go out to bars and parties coz I'm either at the beach scuba diving or surfing; training in, or have a tournament in either soccer or badminton; or up in the mountains during weekends.

As long as they see that what your doing is constructive, I suppose they'll give you their blessings. :D
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

ZachCanScream

Re: So they think Im crazy....

Post by ZachCanScream » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:12 pm

It's quite possible that you're just a nerd and that you should worry about more realistic things like getting a life.

redhotkat

Post by redhotkat » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:16 pm

It's quite possible that you're just a nerd and that you should worry about more realistic things like getting a life.

it's quite possible that you should find somewhere else to spend your on - line time.
i see an ASS - HAT in your very immediate future.
Last edited by redhotkat on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZachCanScream

Post by ZachCanScream » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:18 pm

it's quite clear that my goal is educate people on topics that actually apply to REALITY. You are just promoting FEAR in something that's NON-EXISTENT.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:23 pm

ZachCanScream wrote:it's quite clear that my goal is educate people on topics that actually apply to REALITY. You are just promoting FEAR in something that's NON-EXISTENT.
This is a disaster preparation community. There's no "FEAR" in being prepared for natureal disasters. It's being responsible.

If you're not going to bother to actually read the forum I'll go ahead and let you know that the zombie theme is tounge in cheek. Not reality. Get over it.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

ZachCanScream

Post by ZachCanScream » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:10 pm

In response to the last gun fanatic quote I read (something about nerds not being able to handle guns), I am, for one, quite concerned. Guns are quite lethal, as you may know, but mostly to the gun owner. Gun owners are far more likely to killed by their own gun that any thief or murderer. Just one more premise that indicates violence is NOT the answer.

And by the way, I apologize for the nerd comment, but nonetheless I'd like to make a point:

Nerds + (no weapon) = unharmful

Nerds + AK47 = violent nerds

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”