Cargo Container Survival bunker - 2 Story!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kevintorvalds

Post by kevintorvalds » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:56 am

Last edited by kevintorvalds on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Lurch

Post by Lurch » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:15 am

Well, I'm gonna derail the thread a little bit, if I may. Here's something I saw, some time ago, that would be great for a BOL hideaway. It's not as big as a cargo container, but it's structurally more sound for burying.
http://waltonfeed.com/old/cellar3.html

kevintorvalds

Post by kevintorvalds » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:18 am

Last edited by kevintorvalds on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

Xray

My take on this

Post by Xray » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 am

I really like the idea of cargo containers. They are cheap, can support a lot of weight and are hard to breach. I have been thinking a lot about the different solutions that people have brought up and I have a few observations I would like to share.

Buried Containers seem like a nice solution because they are hidden, will maintain a constant temperature and offer nuclear and projectile protection. The problem is that it is very hard to rust proof the containers and they will be quickly useless because of perforation. They have a hard time painting cars that can last 10 years without rusting and they paint them in a controlled environment. You can imagine a painting a 20 foot long container. Also, most used containers are in average shape to start with. There is also the problem of flooding. If you live in a zone that could flood or the water line is close to the ground level, your buried container will just be a nice pool or water storage. They are also hard to defend because there is very little outside information available to you. Unless you get a periscope you won't know what is happening above ground. There is also a limtied number of exits so if you need to abandon the bunker you could be trapped. Like someone said, all you need to do is place a car and even a couple hundred pounds of weight on the hatch to block the exit. There is also the problem of aeration that will need to be mechanically supplied. There is a security risk with the vents because all a raider would need to do is block them with dirt and then it is only a matter of time before you run out of air. There will also be a need for artifical lighting. Of course they are much harder to find and in a remote area, they could easily go undetected.

Above ground bunkers have the advantage of being unfloodable, allow defendable perimiter surveillance, have natural light and there are multiple exits. They are of course more visible and could attract attention. Of course if it is in a remote area with very little traffic you could go undetected. From the roof you can view you surroundings and if the need be, defend the bunker. There is little threat of the water level rising to a flood the bunker. Above ground is less expensive to build because you don't need to dig 40 feet like some have designed. All you need to do is build a ciment slab on which you then stack the containers. The problem though is that they will need to be heated in the winter because of isolation problems. Of course, you could spray 3½ inches of polyurethane isolation on the exterior walls and that would give you a r21 rating. What I would do is screw vertical 3½ metal studs that are used in comercial buildings and place them 24 inches part. Inject the polyurethane in between the studs. The polyurethane is water and vapor proof when it is 2 inches or more thick and it will fill imperfections or holes in the containers. Then you could just use alluminum siding to cover the building by fixing it on the studs. I even thought you could use different earth tone color siding to create a camo pattern exterior. There is a security risk that bullets can shoot through the metal but a layer of sand bags in a safe zone would protect the occupants. There is also the advantage that a car can be parked inside at ground level and be used as a quick escape. By using three containers high you have a 24 foot wall that is hard to climb over. Add a 4 foot wall on the top around the outside edge and build the slab 2 feet above the ground and you now have a 30 foot wall that most ladders won't even reach. For ventilation you only need a couple windows and they also let in natural light. I have a couple of design ideas but this post is getting to be way too long for the average ADD reader so I'll keep some of my ideas to myself for now.

Peace!

container home

Re: Cargo Container Survival bunker - 2 Story!

Post by container home » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 am

Firstly I wanted to introduce myself, I am perhaps the biggest fan of Shipping Container Construction in the World.

I am also a general contractor with several years of working in ISBU based construction and today I teach people to build with ISBU's so I have NOTHING against using shipping containers for fast, affordable construction.

I have made a 20 minute video explaining the counter point to this thread - the reasons that you should not bury a shipping container.

The video is here.

http://www.containerhome.info/tutorial-9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I appreciate that this is my first posting on the board and so I ask for the forums indulgence in placing an outbound link as a newbie however the content created is hyper focused and I feel adds great value to this thread.

If the video does nothing but serve to add information to the discussion providing more information for readers and giving them the chance to weigh both sides of the discussion before making any decision I would be very happy with that.

Thank you for your consideration.

Victor
http://www.containerhome.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stressrelief 28.5

Re: Cargo Container Survival bunker - 2 Story!

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 am

Two thoughts and I am out of here. First you could coat the container with rubber roofing....Next I have not seen anyone post that you can also get these container that are refrigration units..That I would think might come in very handy, even if it was one of the smaller units..

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”