MRE's

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:33 pm

crypto wrote:Hey, does anyone know about the Cold Weather Ration / Long Range Patrol Ration?

Apparently it's a subset of MRE that has only 8 menus (including the evil Chicken Ala King) but it's got 400 extra calories per meal, and they dont freeze.
I know about'em but have never seen one. I would love to have some for my BOB. :)

m4gery

Post by m4gery » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Ration, Cold Weather (RCW) and Food Packet, Long Range Patrol (LRP):

http://www.usariem.army.mil/nutri/milrat.htm
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" - Second Amendment, United States Constitution

Blacksh33p
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Blacksh33p » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Yeah, I remember my uncle talking about the Vietnam equivalent. He did LRRP for awhile, and apparently they weren't half-bad. I don't know about the more recent edition, and I have yet to actually see a cold weather ration live. I'd love too, however.
XD wrote:I love all types of guys equally... just not all brands.
Imrcly wrote:then your an idiot

m4gery

Post by m4gery » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:28 pm

There is a lot of 2 CWRs on ebay.
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" - Second Amendment, United States Constitution

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:56 pm

ironraven wrote:
TheFreakinBear wrote:a man had an original WWII MRE (although that's not what they were called then) and he decided to crack it open and eat the fruit cake.
If it was actual, honest, WWII-era K-Rations, I'm speechless- you don't digest history like that. Particularly when it didn't taste so good to begin with and has a significant market value.
Relax, it's probably this 1970s MCI:
http://www.mreinfo.com/mci-fruitcake.html

Personally, I'm a fan of these although they're probably impossible to get outside the UK:
http://www.mreinfo.com/british-rations.html

Edit to add:
At £5 / ~$10 each they're a pretty good buy too (bear in mind each one is about 4000 calories).
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

KillerRN

Post by KillerRN » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:29 pm

just ordered 2 cases from here

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0120.html#

great price... :D

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:24 pm

m4gery wrote:Ration, Cold Weather (RCW) and Food Packet, Long Range Patrol (LRP):

http://www.usariem.army.mil/nutri/milrat.htm

Go Go Google!

Yeah, I had that link before I posted about them. I was asking if anyone had ever had them before.

I see that the evil chicken ala king is still on the menu. :(
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:21 am

crypto wrote:
ironraven wrote:
crypto wrote:Ugh, so sell it for $100 so someone else can keep it on a shelf somewhere and never use it?
Yes, like in a museum. It is as much a historical item as any other piece of equipment issued during WWII. Understanding the artifacts is part and parcel of understanding the events of history, just as understanding the culture of the people who used said artifacts to make that history. This isn't huggy-feelly pixie shit- if you want to know how Rome became great, you have to understand the technology and mindset they had, and those of its neighbors. Otherwise, it's just mythology, or at best rote learning, but not understanding.
Sorry, a K-rat was made in quantities of millions. I'm not buying that every one of them left belongs in a museum.

I also think that sporterizing Mausers or Mosins is a perfectly acceptable activity, and if I ever buy a Garand the first thing I will do is put a new stock on it and re-parkerize the whole thing.

Historians must hate me or something. They can go pound sand for all I care, something that was made in quantities of millions dont deserve special treatment.
Historians don't hate you, crypto. The vast majority of us have no idea who you are. :)

In all seriousness: Yes, the physical artifacts need to be preserved in order to further our understanding of past events. No, that does not mean that every single K-rat, M1, K-bar, demilitarized machine gun, and pair of GI skivvies needs to wind up in a museum somewhere. Ironraven's right in what he's saying, but in this case there are plenty of K-rats already in collections and on display, we can afford to lose a few. Ditto surplus rifles.

Now that said, I'm hoping all of you would have the sense to preserve something that were truly rare or unique! Amateur historians and collectors have actually made some big finds over the years, so keep your eyes open folks.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

fangreaper

Post by fangreaper » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am

i dont know much about MRE's but if they are anythink like the aussie rationpacks they will last for bout 20-30 years. when i was with cadets on our recruit camp we had actual meals from 1982 that where still fine and we ate them as a squad and didnt get ill at all we enjoyed the meal cause it was nice.
Live Free, Fight Well & Go Down In a Blaze Of Glory

DeltaUpsilon

Post by DeltaUpsilon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 am

KillerRN wrote:just ordered 2 cases from here

I just ordered 2 cases from there too. Packed in '06, w/shipping for $100. Not too shabby.

R.I.P. Pat, a/k/a HK33k

KillerRN

Post by KillerRN » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:04 pm

DeltaUpsilon wrote:

I just ordered 2 cases from there too. Packed in '06, w/shipping for $100. Not too shabby.
mine came 24 loose in one big box, not in 2 seperate cases .

DeltaUpsilon

Post by DeltaUpsilon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Right, that is the way they do things apparently. I said 2 cases just so that other readers would know there would be 24 individually packaged MREs.

These won't be my main back-up food source, but for $100 and a hell of a shelf life they make a great emergency item.

R.I.P. Pat, a/k/a HK33k

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 pm

My friend who is a military dependant says the Scott AFB PX has cases of MRE's for $27. I'm gonna give her $30 next week to get one and find out what the hell they really are.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

drunkensurvivor

Post by drunkensurvivor » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:01 am

KillerRN wrote:
DeltaUpsilon wrote:

mine came 24 loose in one big box, not in 2 seperate cases .
They were military meals though? I am sort of wary about them not coming in the original box without the freshness indicator sticker on the bottom. Of course, that little sticker could be replaced pretty easily...

JeffTheHunter
BANNED

Re: Ice!

Post by JeffTheHunter » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Williams wrote:HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DRINK THIS WATER WITHOUT ANY ICE CUBES!

I know I'll lose charitability points for this, but my stance on it is that when people start grumbling, give their food to folks who aren't dicks.

--
Williams
Food purchased with money stolen from me, against my will, and given to people who most likely don't pay taxes at all, isn't "their" food, it's mine.

Just to clarify ;)

and yes, I totally agree. If thye don't like it they are more than welcome to find some fried chicken somewhere.

And for my overall opinion of MRE's... as main survival food, you'd be better off investing in a garden, a pressure canner, a vacuum sealer and a dehydrator. Also, their are LOTS of really good, what I refer to as JABW dishes. Just add boiling water. Some of the pasta-roni's, name brand, are 3 for a dollar where I'm from. A few of them and some packs of vacuum sealed tuna and you've got a decent meal. Throw in some fresh veggies and you've got a really scrumptions meal.

Having said that, and having a big plot of land for gardening back home plus years of food preservation experience, I still have some MRE's. I try to buy about a case or so each month, just for backup. If things go bad, I wouldn't mind handing some out to neighbors or just knowing that I can grab a quick meal without having to cook or plan it out.

In a few days, more like 2 weeks, when I get back home from my Wyoming->San Fran-> PA trip, I'll do a big write up about food preservation. One thing that I'd recommend for everyone, buy or make your own meat smoker now. If things went belly-up over night (i.e. nukes, some serious zombie action) I'd get all of the meat I have out of the freezer and smoke it all. Smoked meat lasts a while, retains almost all of the nutrients and is, especially with my marinades, pretty goddarn delicious.

If you are planning on MRE's, especially in a bug out bag, tear open the package, tear everything out of the cardboard, throw away (or store somewhere else) the stuff you don't need, put them back in the package and duct tape it closed.

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:20 pm

MREs are just fuel for the body. Put enough hot sauce on anything and it's food.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:51 pm

TheFreakinBear wrote:Canned bread...that's so cool. Does anybody here besides me fricken LOVE plain wheat snack bread? Anybody?

Hehe in tech school we called it "Jesus Bread" because it looks like the stuff Jesus always ate in the cartoons. I love my Jesus bread that stuff rocks. I liked it because you could fold them in half and stick a few of them in M16 mag pouches so when I was out and about I had a snack. Try doing that with the main meal.

As for the age, I got some old school MREs that I'm gonna guess are around 5 years old or so. My dad gave them to me after his tour in Kuwait. A few days ago I ran outta food in the house and was to lazy to go out and get more, so out came the old MREs.

The main meal tastes fine even with age (And oddly enough so does the Jesus bread) some of the smaller items how ever start to get a real plasticy taste to them. How ever if it was the last thing I had to eat you can bet it wouldn't matter to me.

As for MREs getting old I have to disagree especially now days with all the variety you get. I used to love going out to the field and getting MREs over Chow Hall food.
Absit invidia.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Ice!

Post by crypto » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:06 pm

JeffTheHunter wrote: If thye don't like it they are more than welcome to find some fried chicken somewhere.

I think I missed something there, fried chicken?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Feuerlied
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, both versions.

Post by Feuerlied » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:19 pm

When I was a kid my dad had some of these stored away in a closet somewhere. My friend and I would take them out, sit on the roof of this weird shed thing, and eat the contents. I thought the little bottles of tobasco were cool even though I didn't like tobasco.

I don't really remember much other than that. Just know that he got several cases of them(along with a few cases of gas masks) because he was quartermaster or whatever and they were being thrown out.
"Whomsoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster, for if you stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you." -- Freidrich Nietzsche

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:36 am

Crypto, I think the chicken refrence was in refrence to some events about 2 years ago last month ;)

I just find it odd hearing that from someone that far north :?:

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:11 am

Razor wrote:The main meal tastes fine even with age (And oddly enough so does the Jesus bread) some of the smaller items how ever start to get a real plasticy taste to them. How ever if it was the last thing I had to eat you can bet it wouldn't matter to me.
Everything I hear is that the nutrition is fine, it's the taste that "expires". So, it becomes a "Dundee" meal -- you can eat it, but it tastes like shit.
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:41 pm

artyboy wrote:I love MREs. I could live off of them forever. About 8 years ago I brought my dad a case while I was still in the army. He kept them out of the box on a shelf in his garage (cold on the winter and hot in the summer). Just a couple of weeks ago I helped him move out of his house and there were still 4 of them there so I took them home and ate one. The cheese didn't really resemble cheese anymore (broken down into chunks floating in oil) but everything else was fine.

Oh and +1 on the wheat snack. I wish they'd replace the saltines with wheat snacks in all of them.
I disagree. If you got rid of the crackers you couldn't play the "Eat 2 MRE Crackers in One Minute" game. Rules: they have to be eaten completely. No fluids 30 seconds before the contest and no fluids during. Mouth must be empty of foreign material prior to start of time.

I was the only one I ever saw finish in time but it felt like I was swallowing razor blades. Many of us know how boring it can get in the field. Also very popular was Rock, Paper, Scissors for Punishment.

DeltaUpsilon

Post by DeltaUpsilon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:41 am

Armygear.net just came through on my MRE order. I'm impressed - it is almost exactly what I thought they would be...not too bad buying sight unseen.
The box was shipped in about 5 days after my order was placed, so turnaround time was good. The MREs were shipped loose (not in their original box) but still in their outer seal (not repacked). As they said, they were packed in 2006 so they're almost new. For my $100 I got a full A and a full B menu of 24. I think its a great deal...you could spend $100 on way less useful things.

R.I.P. Pat, a/k/a HK33k

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Progress!

Post by airballrad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Just had my first MRE since the mid 90's; a Beef Stew from the 2004 vintage. I am happy to find how much better they have gotten in the last decade or so. The FRHs are a nice addition too.

I also checked out ArmyGear.net for their stuff as recommended. Those prices are hard to beat, and if they are shipping product that was packed in the last year or so, it should be good for a long while. I just need to decide if I need to buy more now, or wait for a buddy to get back stateside and drop some in my lap :D

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”