ULTIMATE SURVIVAL FORTRESS

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_klenzer

ULTIMATE SURVIVAL FORTRESS

Post by the_klenzer » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:21 am

Hey guys, it's been a little while since I've been on. This is a copy of a post I made a long while ago somewhere else. I thought it might be useful for some people in order to consider different locations to hold out in after the zombpocalypse.

Choices are broken down by the amount of people that they would either support, or the minimum you would need to man/maintain them. Also listed is an estimated time that the people would be able to survive on the resources available to that location.
Please add any others that you feel I've missed. I haven't included anything that has a survival duration of less than a maximum of a month, eliminating places like gas stations and regular houses.

1-4 people - Survival duration, several weeks to six months. Some could be stretched to a year.

-Top floor of an apartment building. Easy to fortify in small numbers by blocking the stairs and elevator. The rest of the building can be raided for food/water.

-Large watercraft, like a 35-50' trawler. Decent living room, anchored in a bay near a city would allow raids into the city for supplies, or access to islands. Can fish for food. Sailboats would also be good, but offer much less living space. Obviously sailboats are the best choice if you plan on making long term travel plans. Either should only be considered a short term solution if local city resources are not available for raiding, or you hate fish.

-Mountain top. Somewhat pre-fortified. If isolated from civilization, zombie population may be non-existant. Possibly limited in hunting/water resources depending on location. Exposure to cold weather a drawback. Depending on lattitude/longitude, winter survival may not be possible.

-Bomb shelter. Already fortified, if you have one, it is a quick and safe option. Drawbacks are that your life is limited to the amount of food/water you have. As soon as you run out and have to emerge, you will be subjected to instant harm. You may also go stir crazy. A poor long term solution as it does not allow you to seek out better locations without exposure.

-Fortified semi-truck/trailer. Easy to find. Can be easily armoured, high cargo capacity. Really only a short term solution to get to a permanent location. Could easily get bogged down by a zombie mass. Decent range, but will need more fuel for true cross country trips.

4-8 people Survival duration several months to a year. Some could be extended to several years.

-Small river ferry boat. Lots of open deck space for parking vehicles or growing crops. Allows you to pull up to shore to run vehicles into city for raids. Can fish for food. Alternately, a barge and tugboat will do nearly the same job, but piloting will be a little trickier. Still, once anchored in a secure location, will provide an excellent living platform.

-Small shopping mall. Somewhat harder to fortify, but loaded with resources. Possibly a large target for roaming bands of human raiders. Must be cleared of zombies. Crops could be grown on roof.

-Train. An often overlooked solution for those without water access. Can be easily fortified by welding metal plates over all access points. Unstoppable, would cleave through almost anything on the tracks (you've seen video of what happens to a train when it hits a car on the tracks, nothing). Expandable to carry as much cargo and fuel as needed. One engine + 1 living car + 1 cargo car + 2 fuel cars = cross country rolling fortress. Only drawback is you are limited in direction by track. If track is blocked or destroyed at one point, you must return to the last switch point. Still, much safer than any road based vehicle.

-Underground ex-military survival bunker. Will often have long term food/water supplies, generator, and other needs. Already fortified. Drawbacks, you may go stir crazy. Eventually you will have to come out, to who knows what. All threats may have disappeared in a year, or may be sitting, waiting for you to open your door.

10-20+ people Survival duration, six months to several years. Some could be made indefinite, if the population remained constant.
-Large shopping mall. Crops could be grown on roof. Lots of resources. Easier to defend with larger population. Must be cleared of zombies. Definite target for gangs of human raiders.

-Mega Stores (WalMart, K-Mart, Home Depot). Contains everything you need to survive for at least a year or two, until canned food ran out. You would be able to grow food and collect water on roof. Weapons stores, as well as everything to live comfortably. The big drawback is that this is the first place people will loot in case of catastrophe. Possibly difficult to fortify quickly with the large plate glass windows. Home Depots are better in some ways as they will have more material for building and growing crops, but don't have any immediate food stores.

-Ocean going ferry or small freighter. Assuming you can find someone to pilot one of these, they would make an excellent base. With the high waterline, even floating zombies won’t be able to crawl up on one of these, so it is already fortified. You may land a helicopter on it. Comes with boats. Lots of deck space for growing crops or raising livestock. Can fish for food. Dedicated generators. Huge fuel and water reserves.

-Pre-existing castle or fort. If you live near a castle, bingo. Already fortified. Should have a courtyard for growing crops and raising livestock. Will probably be near civilization. Will possibly have a well for getting water. Not really available to most people, unless you live in city that dates back 200+ years.

-Prison. If there is anything more pre-fortified than a castle, this is it. Lots of roof space for growing crops. Lots of weapon stores. Dedicated generators. Major drawbacks, probably full of hundreds or thousands of zombies that will need to be cleaned out. Must find all keys/access cards.

-Offshore oil rig. Instant ocean castle! Raised up above water level makes for a perfect defense. Fishing is easy and crops can be grown on deck. These are usually self sufficient, with machine shops, kitchens, water makers, generators, large fuel and water reserves. Also state of the art communication and satelite equipment. Most will have a helicopter and several boats. Although some are self movable, most will require a tugboat to move. Hard to find, depending on where you live.

20-50+ people Survival duration, several years to indefinite.
-Island. Must be completely fenced off in case floating zombies are washed ashore. Possibly the best long term solution, with larger scal crop growing and livestock raising opportunities depending on the size of the island you choose. Fishing, of course. However, unsettled islands (usually your only zombie free choice) will have NO resources, you must bring your own, build your own buildings, etc... This means lots of work, but doable if you have the amount of people to require an island.

-Mega freighter/oil tanker. Huge deck space for growing crops, raising livestock. Fishing available. Enough fuel/water for trans-oceanic voyages. Most are near self-sufficient in terms of machine shops/kitchens, etc... Will have state of the art sattelite and communication equipment. Must have many crew members trained to pilot it if you want to go anywhere. Space to land a helicopter on a deck. Easy to find near any major city on the ocean.

-Underground military base. Completely fortified, lots of weapons, self sufficient with stores for up to several years. PROBABLY UNAVAILABLE, as it would be full of military personnel.

-Surface military base. Lots of weapons, vehicles, food stores. Fairly well defended. PROBABLY UNAVAILABLE, as it would be full of military personnel.

-Nuclear Aircraft Carrier. Unlimited power, huge area for growing crops, a wrold roaming fortress with near unlimited firepower, self sufficient enough to support hundreds of people. You would need a fully trained crew to do anything with it but anchor it in a bay. ***COMPLETELY UNAVAILBLE***, so don’t worry about it.

100+ people Survival duration, INDEFINITE
-Small settled island. With this amount of people, you should be able to carefully clean out an island with a small town population of over 1000 people. This means 1000 zombies, but will be worth doing in the long run, as it will have all the resources of a small town, work shops, hardware stores, a marina, float planes or a helicopter, fuel and water resources, etc... Once the island is clean, you will have to fence it off to prevent zombies from washing up. This is a long term solution, and will allow you all the tools to start to rebuild humanity. The island will be large enough for full scale farming and livestock raising, as well as larger scale fishing. Plus there will be resources for long term repair of all your machinery. Towns divided by rivers can also be fortified, but will have less farming space. An alternative to those not near the ocean.

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:43 am

Fun read, some stuff to learn.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:43 am

-Small river ferry boat. Lots of open deck space for parking vehicles or growing crops. Allows you to pull up to shore to run vehicles into city for raids. Can fish for food. Alternately, a barge and tugboat will do nearly the same job, but piloting will be a little trickier. Still, once anchored in a secure location, will provide an excellent living platform.

I like this one. I never thought about that. :D

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:56 pm

Thanks. The river ferry was inspired after having to take one after a screening of Dawn Of The Dead. I've come up with more since then, but never added them to the original list so I've forgotten most of them.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:10 pm

I've been on the NY ferry to Ellis island and that thing is pretty damn big.

It would have a nice fortress if you anchored it a good bit off shore.

As long as you know how to operate it anyway. Or else you might be swimming back to get supplies.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:31 pm

No need to operate it, all you have to do is anchor it, then use the lifeboats to make trips to shore. Most larger ferries will have at least one powered craft on them, which you could use.

The river ferries I'm talking about are considerably smaller, large enough only to hold about 10-20 cars at a time. Technicaly, they could just be small ocean going ferries. Even if they didn't have any cabin space, you could just park a motorhome on them and live in that.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:25 am

a houseboat would be nice for short term. For the larger ones, you can grow some crops on the upper deck since it's flat.

Londonbats

Post by Londonbats » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:02 pm

Ellis Island wouldn't be a bad idea for a place to go to if you have supplies. You'd just have to worry about other people showing up.
Humans Against Zombies Coalition (HAZCo)
http://antizombie.8m.net

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:34 pm

I agree with the island. Only thing is there's an island near me with a Civil War fort on it that I plan to haul my ass too. It also has two Ferries and a lot of crop space. After clearing out a few tourists possibly it will make excellent quarters.

*Mike*

Post by *Mike* » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:31 pm

Personally, It depends on what's going on, but I'd probably try to fortify my school, only if I had a good group of dedicated people.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:20 pm

Zombie_Expert wrote:Personally, It depends on what's going on, but I'd probably try to fortify my school, only if I had a good group of dedicated people.

I hope you have removed all the people that will be stupid and get everyone killed too. I had to consider this situation. Hell I do it whenever there is nothing to do at school but mine involves me running home and hopefully getting to my island fortress.

multipass

Post by multipass » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:31 am

I actual thought of the prision idea myself, since a prision is a modern day castle, designed to keep people in, but also people out, example a film called the last castle, large riot breakout at a military prision, good film.

You get a gold star for noting the unavaibility of military complexes and aircraft carriers, if you went thetre and they took you in you would be under their command really, may get used to bolster troop strength.

Stoic Guardian

Post by Stoic Guardian » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:57 am

i doubt they would let you in even imagne this....

"hey paul...look an unharmed civilian!"
|you reach the gates panting|
"say paul ive got an idea....why dont we let him in...give him a gun...and shelter him?"
"because he is NOT military personal"
*BANG*BANG*

RealityDeviant

Post by RealityDeviant » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:26 am

I find a prison to be a decent idea as well. For anyone interested in seeing prisons as possible places of refuge during the zombocalypse, keep up with Robert Kirkman’s “the Walking Dead.”

I don’t think they’re inaccessible, either. As with any location, not everyone on site is going to be concerned with their survivability within that location. In the events of a societal collapse, convicts would likely be turned loose or left to starve in their cells. This really depends on the people in charge, but I suspect they’d think the former more humane. You might even see a smattering of incredibly violent or sociopathic criminals quietly left behind, sort of like in Stephen King’s <I>the Stand</I>. After prisoners being released, I suspect most of the guards would bail and try to get home to their families. This judgment might be one made out of a lack of information and an increasing desire to care for their families. You might have some single staff that would remain behind to tend to things, but I think there’s a chance.

Alternatively, wardens might be ordered to secure and lockdown their prisons in the event of a national disaster. This would probably happen initially, but as it became increasingly clear that there were no more people to take orders from, they might empty the facilities. As most prisons are not located within cities, they might know just little enough to make this poor decision. If the zombies happened to attack the prison before the decision was made, though, the wardens just might choose to avoid opening the gates. Of course, I wouldn’t want in one of these places even if they were taking in civilians for their own protection. With a higher convict to guard ration and no more state to back up the guard’s authority, these places would be ticking time bombs. This is not the type of civilization that I would want to rush to, even in the event that it was completely defended against zombie attacks.

Now, another possibility is that somehow zombies got into the prison during the initial phase of the outbreak. This could happen any number of ways and would mean that the facility would be swamped in zombies. Although it’d be a chore, you could probably get in and clear it out with a large enough contingent of people. Their movement speed would be a big factor here, though, because that would change the relative risk involved. Five-hundred fast movers would be mean your death, so it’d be best to move on.

Still, prisons would be one of the best that could be reached and could be used as long-term outposts in the P.A.W. If I recall correctly, many are equipped to be partially self-sufficient, and with that level of security, they’re worth the trouble.
"I live among the cold, the false,
And I must seem like them;
And such I am, for I am false
As those I most condemn. "
L.E.L., "Lines of Life"

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:20 pm

Plus the best thing about a prison.... Every town has one!

Personally, I think if you made your way into one, you'd find all the prisoners dead (or undead) in their cells, dehydrated to death. I think the wardens would leave them there until they realised the epidemic was unstoppable, then probably be overrun before it was too late.

On the other hand, if zombies couldn't get into a prison, then maybe the prisons would still be full of live people.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:00 pm

the_klenzer wrote:Plus the best thing about a prison.... Every town has one!

Personally, I think if you made your way into one, you'd find all the prisoners dead (or undead) in their cells, dehydrated to death. I think the wardens would leave them there until they realised the epidemic was unstoppable, then probably be overrun before it was too late.

On the other hand, if zombies couldn't get into a prison, then maybe the prisons would still be full of live people.

My town doesnt have a prison.

Londonbats

Post by Londonbats » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:42 pm

Same here
Humans Against Zombies Coalition (HAZCo)
http://antizombie.8m.net

Half-Pint

Post by Half-Pint » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:45 pm

We have a jail in our town but no prison.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:14 pm

There would be the problem of what to do with the prisoners (beside using them as a food source). I know I couldn't trust them enough to let them go, and I don't think I could let them starve to death.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:47 pm

This is an interesting topic...

Prisons would be good fortresses, but the native population would be tricky. Information is controlled to a certain degree in prison so the inmates may not know the extent of societal collapse. The older prisons that don't depend so much on technology would be better than a place that can only open cell doors with electricity. I still don't like the idea of remaining in one place for too long. There are always more zombies than bullets. The perimeter defenses of most prisons are barbed wire fences that could be pushed down or broken by a throng of zombies that don't feel pain. The solid walls of the prison buildings are strong enough to repel any amount of zombies, but what do you do when there are thousands of them wandering the grounds around the buildings. The food stores in prisons also need to be refilled on a regular basis so the inmates would quickly use up the food sources when the shipments stopped arriving.

There are lot's of "pros" but many more "cons" if you ask me. After civilization has totally collapsed for a year or so, and the inmates have either been wiped out or have moved on, it might be a good place to rebuild from.
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:56 pm

I've made the recommendation before, but it never hurts to repeat it. In the event of an immediate zombie threat, being unable to flee the city I am going to the local nudie bar.

The majority of strip clubs I've seen are single story windowless structures sitting on their own and surrounded by parking (often stashed away in industrial areas). Typically they seem to have fairly sturdy doors, but it's the no window aspect that is most appealing.

Seems like one of the easiest structures to fortify in a hurry.....

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:08 am

Fine, not every town has a prison... Every town that doesn't SUCK has a prison... :)
j/k

I like the strip club idea, although most of them here are built into hotels, but I get your point.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:14 pm

the_klenzer wrote:Fine, not every town has a prison... Every town that doesn't SUCK has a prison... :)
j/k

I like the strip club idea, although most of them here are built into hotels, but I get your point.
My town doenst even have a corner store. Yeah it does suck but low population = less zombies....for a bit.

Grither

Post by Grither » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:37 pm

There are lot's of "pros" but many more "cons" if you ask me.
Oh sweet Jesus, that was a bad pun. I think I actually felt physical pain when I read that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I Survived Zombie Con 2005!!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”