Water storage experiment

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Is this a waste of time?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes: 40

DestroyTheStairs

Post by DestroyTheStairs » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:22 am

I had a water botlle rolling around in the back of my jeep for about 2 years or so that I JUST threw out. There was no algae or anything like that, even though I drank from it thus contaminated the water those 2 years ago. I dumped out the water before I threw out the bottle and it wasn't rancid, just smelled strongly of plastic.

So if THAT terrible water bottle could stay algae free, then I wouldn't worry about yours in its cozy cabinet. As for bacteria though I'm not sure, I never noticed any bloating of the bottle so I suppose no bacteria-gas was being produced.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:49 pm

mrdbeau wrote:While it is true that algae must have a light source to survive (photosynthetic organism), any treated tapwater is going to have more than enough chlorine in it to kill any algae. Even with exposure to air or other sources, which theoretically may harbor algae, if algae got inside the bottle while it was being filled or however, the chlorine in the water would still kill it. On the other hand, it could be possible to get some algal growth around the top of the bottle if there was some moisture there.
About, oh, 20 years ago I filled some rinsed, used 2-litre PET soft drink bottles with finest British tap water to use as ballast. After I'd finished with them I left them in a pile outdoors against an East-facing wall.

Within 3 or 4 months they'd all taken on a noticeable green hue, and there were clumps of algae visible within the bottles.

On the other hand, yesterday I was checking my car kit and the two 2-litre bottles of commercially bottled water in it (which live inside an opaque holdall with all the other stuff) appeared to be pristine.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Re: Water storage experiment

Post by Ricky Romero » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Well, even though I failed to follow through on the one-year thing, I've accidentally done something much better. I recently found the "experiment" bottle in the floorboard of my SUV. It's been with me through 2 years, 3 moves, 4 jobs, and RN school. It's been in my car and experienced exposure to extreme heat (110+ degrees Fahrenheit) and near-freezing winters. I never did do the other bottles that were suggested oh, so long ago, so this one will have to do.

Well, the time has come. I am going to drink it. I don't have access to a lab anymore, so I won't be able to do cultures before I drink it. I promise to take pics and post them. Should I wait until 5/24/09 to make it a full two years, or just get it over with?
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

DestroyTheStairs

Post by DestroyTheStairs » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:00 am

That sucks that you don't have access to the lab anymore, it would have been interesting to know what was in the water. I'd say just drink it!

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:37 am

Go go go!!! (Unless you're out of TP, in which case go buy some first...)
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

rpc

Post by rpc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Strangely enough, I think I remember this experiment. I didn't realize that I had been lurking here this long.

I say go ahead and drink it, and enjoy. The water was a few billion years old when you started the experiment, so I don't think a couple more years will make much difference.

Cheers!

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm going to finish the experiment on 5/24/09 to make it a complete 2 years.
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”