What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:06 pm

callista wrote:I don't see how people survive exercise bikes. Or any exercise machine, for that matter. They're the most boring things in the universe. When I bike, I want scenery!
That's the first 30 minutes of TV I've watched in 4 months... Good Eats on beef tenderloin!!
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

callista

Post by callista » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Ohh, yeah... I forget people have TVs sometimes...
WARNING: This poster is prone to walls of text, unnecessary pedantry, grammatical nitpicking, and words with more letters than the US postal service. Approach at your own risk. Bring a dictionary.

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Added more canned goods to the stockpile:
- petite diced tomatoes
- baby potatoes
- sliced carrots

Added two lice combs to the medical supplies. :? Definitely something that had escaped my list before... I guess that's the advantage of the kids coming home from school with lice pre-PAW.

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:21 pm

I picked up this camping gear off someone on Craigslist for $50. I got a second camping stove, a propane oven, two heaters, two propane lanterns, one battery operated lantern and one lantern case. Image
Jakk
Abacus wrote: Good luck and welcome to Zombie Squad, don't fuck it up.

Broken1

Post by Broken1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:00 pm

JakkSchitt wrote:I picked up this camping gear off someone on Craigslist for $50. I got a second camping stove, a propane oven, two heaters, two propane lanterns, one battery operated lantern and one lantern case.
nice haul!

I picked up a couple more M14 mags at the gun show. Decent price and they appear to be USGI according to the online doc i found.

And i got a free elliptical exercise machine so the Mrs and i can start getting in a little better shape.
Broken1

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Stoppard

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Post by IllicitDreams » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:08 am

Today I removed a single band Ham Radio antenna from my truck and installed a new dual bander. In the freezing rain. Checked and repacked my GHB, to prepare for a hiking trip in the morning, in the ice and snow.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

Zmey Smirnoff

Post by Zmey Smirnoff » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:52 am

Finally ordered ALICE pack for my future BOB.
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
- Adlai Stevenson

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 am

Began my EMT training for the Fire Science program I'm in. I've also decided to carry a separate, fully equipped, medkit from my basic one I carry in my GHB/BoB/EDC which I will be fully capable of using by the end of May when my class ends.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 am

Repainted a doorframe.

'cause prepping isn't just tactical shooting practice and buying expensive gear.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:08 am

Lucretius wrote:Repainted a doorframe.
'cause prepping isn't just tactical shooting practice and buying expensive gear.
Its not?! LIES! Tell me you at least painted it OD green or something?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Learned how to drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump on my car.

Bonus: we needed to buy a siphon to remove the gasoline from my tank. Handy tool to have if we need to empty one of the cars to have enough gas to bug out in the other one.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:19 am

Murph wrote:
Lucretius wrote:Repainted a doorframe.
Its not?! LIES! Tell me you at least painted it OD green or something?
Nah, a regular, discrete "grey man" off-white. Better than the ugly dark brown color it used to have, which only made it invisible in the dark (NOT evacuation friendly!). Plus, this added a small amount but real value to the house! :)

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:58 am

Installed a Cylinder and Slide wide combat trigger in my #1 Browning Hi Power .

Took about 20 minutes .

Later today I am gonna put in the extended safety . I do not expect that to be as easy . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Arch

Post by Arch » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:14 am

The wife discovered that our 3 year old Whirlpool Gold clothes dryer was broke last night (after washing all of her work clothes). Therefore, I took it apart last night to see if I needed to replace the drive belt again.

Not the problem this time.

Looks like I'll need to buy some tools to work on the electrical components (I think the problem is a fuse, switch, or bad motor).

As stated above....not everything is tactical shooting & gear :( because dry clothes = non-hypothermic people.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

callista

Post by callista » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 am

You can rig up a clothesline indoors to dry your clothes in the meantime. I do it and it works great. Hung up clothes yesterday at 9 p.m., dry this morning. All you need is a rope and a sturdy place to tie it. If you don't have clothespins, it'll take longer to dry because you'll have to hang them across the line by the middle of the garment. Hang shirts from hangers; clip the hangers to the line. Works great. Higher humidity takes longer.

Oh, yeah, and today I bought a car!

It's old; it's definitely not a "cool" car; but it has decent mileage and the particular model has a reputation for being reasonably durable. I am one happy little poor college student right now--my options just increased by a factor of ten. (If the roads aren't clogged, the car isn't stolen, and the disaster in question doesn't rule out driving altogether.) Now I just need to be sure I don't start driving the two miles to the gym. :roll:
WARNING: This poster is prone to walls of text, unnecessary pedantry, grammatical nitpicking, and words with more letters than the US postal service. Approach at your own risk. Bring a dictionary.

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:37 am

Like Rush2112, I also began my EMT training.

Arch

Post by Arch » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:06 pm

callista wrote:You can rig up a clothesline indoors to dry your clothes in the meantime. I do it and it works great. Hung up clothes yesterday at 9 p.m., dry this morning. All you need is a rope and a sturdy place to tie it. If you don't have clothespins, it'll take longer to dry because you'll have to hang them across the line by the middle of the garment. Hang shirts from hangers; clip the hangers to the line. Works great. Higher humidity takes longer.
We already use drying racks in addition to our electric dryer, but we decided to string 550 Paracord up in our un-occupied secondary floor until I get the dryer repaired. My wife was excited about the prospect of saving money on energy (by drying everything on lines) since our December utility bill was $356 (and we keep the heat on 66F when we are awake & 62F when we are asleep or away).
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

AaronLeft

Post by AaronLeft » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Mailed off an order to Mountain House and Rescue Essentials for FAK gear. (As sson as it is finished I will post it) Inventoried my FAK supplies and found I have duplicates of several things including Steth and BP cuff.

mr_dave
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 [Days|Weeks] Later, Tremors

Post by mr_dave » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Last night I cleaned up the pantry and took non-pantry things out of the pantry. Planning a re-org the shelves to better facilitate storage. Picked up the first of many 3 gallon water jugs to store in there. Made a list of storable foodstuffs to start stocking up on with each grocery trip. Will be mounting a fire extinguisher in there tonight.

The night before I emptied out the sad, sad little BoB I have and removed a bunch of redundant stuff. Made a list of the things I do need to add. Organized my prep boxes in my teeny apartment and started putting some stuff aside to build a prep box for the new girlfriend to keep at her place.
Erik wrote:For CCW, I recommend a .50 caliber round. It's pointy and just the right size you can grip it in your hand and stab it through the eye or stomach of your assailant.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Arch wrote: We already use drying racks in addition to our electric dryer, but we decided to string 550 Paracord up in our un-occupied secondary floor until I get the dryer repaired.
Aaah... .550. You wouldn't want to be caught using something less, right? :wink:

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Picked up two of those little emergency 'Go Packs' FAK component kits at Big Lots... Each has 6 earloop style 'dust\breathing masks', 15 hand sanitizer wipes, a 15 oz bottle of sanitizing gel, 4 single user thermometers and a pair of vinyl gloves... $2 bucks a kit, although, now that I'm looking at one, I see the 'expiration date' on it was June 08. I'm not exactly sure what could expire in it though... Anyway, although I know it's not really a GREAT purchase, if need be, I can be on the phone with my wife and tell her 'open the back of the escape, grab the package in the tray on the right side of the cargo area, use the sanitizer on your hands, put a mask on, get in the car and go towards home. Stop at the first gas station you see, put on the gloves, fill up the tank and the spare gas can, throw the gloves away and then go directly home'.

I WAS looking for another emergency first aid kit for the Escape, until I can get a good kit put together after we move and stop caring plumbing parts in the concealed cargo section. Costco was out of the good ones, and Big Lots didn't even have the crappy ones (I took the one out of the car and have it at the new house... It has been used several times already, although I'm debating on dumping the band-aids out of it... They don't breath worth a crap)

Also picked up 3 pounds of iodized sea salt, a $3 salt grinder and $4 pepper grinder (both full) at Costco, as well as a couple of their large (and yet under $4) containers of Garlic and Italian seasoning to add to the prep supplies... If TEOTWAWKI doesn't happen in a year, I'll junk em and replace with fresh, or use em making jerky.
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:31 pm

I climbed 250' in 3 degrees, with a -20 windchill, and did some work. The wind and snow in my face made my eyes tear up, which quickly froze, so that I could not see or turn my eyes until I warmed them back up with my breath. My hands quickly went numb, then stiff. My boots froze to the tower and had to be chipped off. My breath froze my mask to my face. You get the idea. :)
I was wearing:
Underarmor tops and bottoms
Wool undershirt and insulated pants
two fleece tops, dockers
Army Mechanics cold weather coveralls
synthetic hoody
Treated nylon pants and windbreaker
fleece ski mask
Polypro ski mask
scarf
Bates ECW boots
Redhead wool socks with synthetic liners
North Face "Montanta" gloves
toewarmers, handwarmers in my gloves, and another pair of handwarmers in my fleece pockets.

I didn't die, so I consider this good training for any possible "Icepocalypse".
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Went to the local Gander Mtn. They had replacement filters for the MSR Miniworks on clearance for $3.50. I bought nine. Added some ammo. This Saturday I am taking a pressure point control tactics course that will allow me to carry an expandable baton if'n I want to.

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:58 pm

jamoni wrote:I climbed 250' in 3 degrees, with a -20 windchill, and did some work. The wind and snow in my face made my eyes tear up, which quickly froze, so that I could not see or turn my eyes until I warmed them back up with my breath. My hands quickly went numb, then stiff. My boots froze to the tower and had to be chipped off. My breath froze my mask to my face. You get the idea. :)
I was wearing:
Underarmor tops and bottoms
Wool undershirt and insulated pants
two fleece tops, dockers
Army Mechanics cold weather coveralls
synthetic hoody
Treated nylon pants and windbreaker
fleece ski mask
Polypro ski mask
scarf
Bates ECW boots
Redhead wool socks with synthetic liners
North Face "Montanta" gloves
toewarmers, handwarmers in my gloves, and another pair of handwarmers in my fleece pockets.

I didn't die, so I consider this good training for any possible "Icepocalypse".
That sounds absolutely horrible.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”