What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mk_ultra

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Put together another Ar15 . It is an A2 16inch Hbar. Not my favorite configuration in the world , but I am into it for less than 500 bucks :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Cgalvan2003
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by Cgalvan2003 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Topped off my gas tank. One of the things that I try to do is never let my gas tank go under 3/4 of a tank.
Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.

Μολὼν Λαβέ

TheMechanic
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD '78

Post by TheMechanic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm

I bought 2 more 30 round mags for my AK and some miscellaneous web gear. New pistol belt, holster, things like that.
I also inventoried my ammo and reorganized some stuff & repacked my BOB.

Edited to add:
I ordered 4 more AK mags today.
"The future is always changing, in the largest of ways by the smallest of things."

Cgalvan2003
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by Cgalvan2003 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:03 pm

I just got my Leatherman Skeletool. (got it for $40 S&H on Ebay took a while to get it) I am very impressed with this thing.

The knife is very sturdy as are the pliers. I haven't used the screwdriver yet but from what I can tell it is also very solid.

Now I can't see paying $70 for this thing but at $40 it was a bargin.
Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.

Μολὼν Λαβέ

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:48 pm

I was crying because my 7.62x54R supplier was sold out.

Then somebody's credit card was declined in an order and they were in stock again!

I bought 700 rounds.
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Red Handed Bandit
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later
Astro Zombies
Shawn of the dead

Post by Red Handed Bandit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Joined ZS Forum again.
Told roommate to stop stealing my BOB for school.
Told other roommate that it is time to start armoring up his Toyota jumping truck.
Considering transforming grandpas old pontoon boat into something that more less resembles a vehicle from water world.
Folding cammies.

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Took my 20 year old nephew shopping - bought him a DPMS AR-15 .

The Kid leaves for the Marines in a few weeks and said that he was worried that Uncle O would ban AR's. Told him to look around and pick one that he liked.

kiska_79
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by kiska_79 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Added a 10 hour glowstick, an itty bitty Esbitt stove and some trioxane fuel to my BOB.
Finally got a belt to stick all this stuff on!
Picked up 4 5 gallon buckets with lids for food storage.
Ordered some lye.
Expanded my fall garden 1 foot on both sides.
Started some sprouting seeds.
Organized my grains and beans.
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Cgalvan2003 wrote:Topped off my gas tank. One of the things that I try to do is never let my gas tank go under 3/4 of a tank.
I did this the other day. This is one of the few areas of survival preparation where I've had to kind of drag Steph along.

My argument: "If you can't afford to refill the gas tank, you can't afford to drive the car."

Her argument: "If I need to do something in the car, but can't afford to refill the gas tank now, I'll drive it til it's almost empty and then refill it next time I get paid."

My other argument is the fact that a couple years ago, we were borrowing a pickup truck, and she ran it empty. TWICE. The first time, we went and bought a gallon of gas in a can, filled it, and it was fine. The second time, it sucked a bunch of sediment up from the bottom of the tank and killed the...engine? Fuel pump? Fuel injectors? Something that makes the car not go if you suck shit up into it.

So, yeah, this is a MAJOR aspect of preparedness, IMHO. As a matter of habit, I agree, 3/4 of a tank is ideal, 1/2 a tank is a bare minimum IMHO. I'm not perfect and recently let it get below 1/4 tank, but I try not to do that. If a disaster hits and by some miracle the roads are clear enough that you can drive out, there's no way in HELL you're going to be able to get gas, IMHO.

The other rather mundane, boring thing I did today was got back into the habit of wearing my "Bat-Belt" so I've got my essentials on me: Leatherman, Cell Phone, Coast LED Lenser flashlight, plus a Pock-Its with pens and a folding knife and stuff in it, and a just added SAK, mostly for the corkscrew. Yes, this now means I have three knives on my belt. I could do without the Gerber folder I guess.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:02 pm

I ran mine down to 1/4 tank this past few weeks. Luckily I don't use the truck much and a full tank will last me 3-4 weeks of normal driving for me.

Filled my gas tank yesterday and it was $20. Fwikkin' neat.
Went into a local gun store and started a good conversation with the owner, also yesterday.
Worked at the comic shop for my $20 cash and will be putting it away as my new "cash stash".
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

invicta

Post by invicta » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:08 am

I chopped and stacked some firewood for next year, cut some lumber with a chainsaw, arranged some camping gear and bought some canned food. Prepared the yard for the oncoming winter, and changed the tires on the car to studded ones.
Started packing for the hike I'll be doing this friday.
Sato verta taivahasta / Puna hiekan kasteli / Aukes silmät mullan alla / Nyrkkiin koura kipristyy / Liha hauras voimistui / Kasvo nahka luihen päälle / Heräs maasta musta mieli / Paha ilma keuhkot täyttää

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Fired up the generator for flood/wind/snow season.
Tested good - checked oil - topped off with fresh fuel and STA-BIL.
2 - 5 gal cans of gas in standby, lasts for 4-5 days of generator use, 7 days considering the 5 gallons in the generators tank.
10 gallons of back up water stored for "flushing" water when the power goes out.
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Necrowerx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Necrowerx » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I finally got it together and submitted my app for a Firearms Purchase ID permit this weekend- the first step to gun ownership in my state.
I started to take a mental inventory of all survival related gear I got, and got an inkling of what I'd still need. I need to write down a checklist.
Bought an LED "head" lamp, and some water purification tablets.
Beware the AGB: the Appetizing Guts Ban: Outlaw guts, and only zombies will eat guts!

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Installed a 55-gallon rain barrel and a 65-gallon rain barrel (on Saturday, actually).
Mostly not here anymore.

Jacob Creutzfeldt

Post by Jacob Creutzfeldt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Packed my first BOB. Not complete yet, the wind and snow is shaking the windows, and I would have a hard time outdoors if this BOB was the only thing I had. :oops:
The light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.

AaronLeft

Post by AaronLeft » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Picked up 200 rounds 9mm, 1K rounds .22LR and a few other various goodies. Started working on getting my FAK organized but still haven't decided on what to put it all in.

exile27

Post by exile27 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Yesterday I put my 20% REI member's discount to good use, and picked up a new pair of North Face "speed hiking" shoes. I believe they're called Hedgehogs. Anyway, they've got Vibram soles and a gor-tex liner making them water proof. I also picked up a REI Neo jacket for casual/everyday use, and some new hiking socks.

Today I started to break my Hedgehogs in, and so far I'm quite pleased. They're super comfortable right out of the box, have nice grippy soles, and despite all the rain today my socks are as dry as when I put them on this morning.
Guns kill people like pencils misspell words...

Arch

Post by Arch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:54 pm

Ate rancid meat:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=37571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Arch

Post by Arch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:56 pm

The Postal Service was good to me today - they delivered the last batch of my MOLLE gear.

I also tore down all of my other MOLLE gear, and reassembled it so many times that my fingers started bleeding. I finally have all of the components needed for all of my sets AND they are assembled how I want them.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

rick1881
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead

Post by rick1881 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Went on a 2 mile hike.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Just came back this afternoon from a winter camping trip. Heavy rain on Monday, so we practiced building shelter at speed. Trioxane is awesome for starting fires in the rain. Practiced starting fires with Swedish fire steel, Gerber firestarter, and one of the magnesium rod firestarters. Not too pleased with magnesium fire starters. During the evenings we practiced tying different knots. I think my girlfriend understands the importance of having a get home bag in her trunk, as she now wants one, but refuses to call it a get home bag. Call it what you want, just have one. We also made heat reflectors out of the cheap emergency blankets that sound like you're wadding candy wrappers for eight hours. They worked great.

Arch

Post by Arch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:13 pm

suntzu wrote:Just came back this afternoon from a winter camping trip. Heavy rain on Monday, so we practiced building shelter at speed. Trioxane is awesome for starting fires in the rain. Practiced starting fires with Swedish fire steel, Gerber firestarter, and one of the magnesium rod firestarters. Not too pleased with magnesium fire starters. During the evenings we practiced tying different knots. I think my girlfriend understands the importance of having a get home bag in her trunk, as she now wants one, but refuses to call it a get home bag. Call it what you want, just have one. We also made heat reflectors out of the cheap emergency blankets that sound like you're wadding candy wrappers for eight hours. They worked great.
Sounds like a good learning experience.

formerlyZSArch@live.com

zephir

Post by zephir » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:10 pm

from the past month:
spent way more than I originally wanted to.

6 more mil surp MREs
6 more clear bagged "individual meal pack" MREs

500 rounds federal value pack .223
Fairly affordable reloadable brass cased ammo, $180 per 500. not including local tax (8.25%)

1 case of 500 .308 ammo. Made in Germany by some company called "MEN". $225 at some local store.
Figured it'll probably be worth to buy now and resell later to make some money.

1 California complaint Wasr-2
1 California Legal Saiga 223 (planned to buy a kel tec, but swayed by the saiga's 300 dollar price difference)
Both rifles were ordered 6 days after Nov. election. The store has then ordered and will be coming around on Dec 7th.

6 .30cal ammo cans, for storing ammo fro ease of carry/transportation.

One Campingaz CZ 270 PZ lantern
6 containers of fuel

24 smoke grenades/fireworks smoke makers each lasting about 3 mins.

This weekend I'm going to hopefully buy some magazines for my new rifles and more ammo at the costa mesa gun show.

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:47 pm

I went camping 2 nights ago. It was around 60 when I went to sleep but dropped into the 40's later that night. :? I proceeded to freeze my ass off in my 50 degree rated sleeping bag. I then tryed somethign I saw on TV. :idea: I took some coals from the fire and put them under the dirt under my tent. It kept me warm for about two hours before I woke up freezing my ass off again. :(

Note to self:
-I need a better sleeping bag.

Oh....

200 more rounds of 9mm
:D
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”