What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tony d tiger

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:07 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:18 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:20 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 am
tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 am
2x 5gal cans of 89 octane alcohol free gas preserved with marine Stabil and set aside for the generators. Old gas used in the car 5 gal x tank.
:clap: Talk to raptor about how fast it goes.
I guess it depends what you do with it. :awesome:
During Katrina, raptor found that his fuel stores weren't enough. He wrote about it here.

Just sayin'
Well, I guess he would know best what to do next time, given a similar situation.

10 - 15 gallons of stabilized fuel in two eu2000i generators running a parallel kit is enough to run the travel trailer for 100 - 150 hours continuously in "eco mode" - or well over a week if judicious in use. Alternatively, those same two will keep the freezers frozen and the cooler cold for as long as it takes for me to go find more gas in our limited power outages due to weather (or fire) taking out the lines.

In the event of a major catastrophe, there's no way I could safely store three months supply of gasoline. So maybe combined with waste oil and other "thickening agents" 10 - 15 gallons will make a nice last ditch defense. :x
Tony D Tiger

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:05 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:07 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:18 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:20 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 am
:clap: Talk to raptor about how fast it goes.
I guess it depends what you do with it. :awesome:
During Katrina, raptor found that his fuel stores weren't enough. He wrote about it here.

Just sayin'
Well, I guess he would know best what to do next time, given a similar situation.

10 - 15 gallons of stabilized fuel in two eu2000i generators running a parallel kit is enough to run the travel trailer for 100 - 150 hours continuously in "eco mode" - or well over a week if judicious in use. Alternatively, those same two will keep the freezers frozen and the cooler cold for as long as it takes for me to go find more gas in our limited power outages due to weather (or fire) taking out the lines.

In the event of a major catastrophe, there's no way I could safely store three months supply of gasoline. So maybe combined with waste oil and other "thickening agents" 10 - 15 gallons will make a nice last ditch defense. :x
It seems reasonable to convert a gas generator to burn syngas. If you have wood handy, might be worth a look-see.

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Andimia » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:05 pm

I did more reinforcement with my dog's crate training. A lot of times if your pet goes missing, gets sick, or if you have to evacuate due to a disaster your pet will end up in a cage or crate. Having a pet that isn't used to crates can lead to stress, injury, or death in an emergency situation. We crate trained her as a puppy to minimize furniture damage and accidents when we were at work but also because we knew that having a specific place for your dog to relax and feel safe is good for their health. Now that she's older we have her crate stored in the basement but bring it up to do training every now and then so if she had to be put in one for an emergency situation she would be calm and comfortable. She also has a special mat for "place" training which is something we can throw in a backpack that she'll just lay on until she is given a release word. Still working on that one since she's young she doesn't stay for more than three minutes without reinforcement. Eventually we should be able to use the "place" command for any point we pick out and have used it during hiking to get her to jump up on a specific rock or log and relax/wait for a photo. Also increasing the time on her paw training which makes examining her for injuries, nail trimming, and applying musher's secret to her pads much easier. She used to hate having her paws touched so training that out of her took a long time. We also did more offleash and recall training yesterday while hiking in a forest filled with chipmunks and she did very well. Having a heeler has been challenging but is very rewarding in the long run.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:08 am

Yesterday was chimney sweep day, I do this once a year before heating season. Two story home with the wood burner on the lower level, the only places the creosote builds up is the stove pipe at the woodstove and the chimney cap. This year the build up wasn't as bad as years past, we built a polebarn with half of it being a woodshed so the wood stays much drier than when we were using tarps over a woodpile (or at least that's what I attribute it to). Still bad enough that I wouldn't want to wait over a year between cleanings though.

Managed to drop and break one of the adjustable elbows in the black pipe while removing it for cleaning, requiring a trip to the HW store to replace it and then a couple hours adjusting and reinstalling it - forgot what a PITA that was. Decided to just replace both the elbows when I got to the store, and I picked up an extra piece of straight stove pipe, a coupler fitting, and some extra self-tapping screws, which along with the one working/salvaged elbow from the old pipe gives me everything needed to repair any future failures without a trip to the store. Also found my fear of heights isn't getting any less as I grow older, although I think it's not so much the height but the fear of slipping, falling, and landing in the wife's rock garden part that frightens me the most. :lol:

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Looked into a high-efficiency stove to put in the fireplace? They burn cleaner.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:33 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:20 pm
Looked into a high-efficiency stove to put in the fireplace? They burn cleaner.
I'm dampering it down too much I think, too cold of a fire for complete combustion. Problem is unless it's sub-zero cold outside the house turns into a sauna running it hot.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:25 am

Acquired a couple more big rocks/small boulders to line the sides of the driveway. Our dirt driveway is about 100 yards long with 60 yards of that through woods, the rocks are for decoration (not all that uncommon around here) now but have the added function of blocking car/truck access if rolled into the driveway. Recently we cut a new access road which bypasses a section of the driveway so needed more rocks to be able to block that section off. The new ones are (minimum in any position) 11" and 16" high, and in the 400-500 poundrange. Might sound a bit extreme (well maybe not here :) ), but should slow down most vehicles for awhile or force the occupants to dismount and approach on foot. Easier for us to roll them out of the way (and then back) than moving a felled tree dropped over the driveway too, but that would be another option. Anyway, the wife likes them as decoration and they have a (albeit unlikely) preparedness use so we're both happy.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:48 am

CrossCut wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:25 am
Acquired a couple more big rocks/small boulders to line the sides of the driveway. Our dirt driveway is about 100 yards long with 60 yards of that through woods, the rocks are for decoration (not all that uncommon around here) now but have the added function of blocking car/truck access if rolled into the driveway. Recently we cut a new access road which bypasses a section of the driveway so needed more rocks to be able to block that section off. The new ones are (minimum in any position) 11" and 16" high, and in the 400-500 poundrange. Might sound a bit extreme (well maybe not here :) ), but should slow down most vehicles for awhile or force the occupants to dismount and approach on foot. Easier for us to roll them out of the way (and then back) than moving a felled tree dropped over the driveway too, but that would be another option. Anyway, the wife likes them as decoration and they have a (albeit unlikely) preparedness use so we're both happy.
Stock ground clearance on my Jeep is only 10.8". Dang it, looks like I need bigger tires and wheels! :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:51 pm

few years back, they took down all the departmental first aid boxes, and consolidated the contents in the aid room.
I found one of the empty boxes in the junk room and snagged it for the house--
this size: https://zeemedical.net/0180
Finally got it mounted in the basement near the outside door and transferred all the supplies that had just been lying on a shelf
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:05 pm

I took 3 days of pistol classes this last week for 18 hours total of training time. I went through hell at work getting enough done to take the time off. I also remoted into my work computer at night after classes to get some urgent little things done. I'm still worn out today but it was worth it.

Today I rebuilt a glock 23 that exploded catastrophically a few years ago. The gunsmith thought it could be done and I thought he was nuts. I picked up parts to rebuild it thinking I could safely put a 22LR conversion upper on it, but as I put it together I realized the damage wasn't nearly what I had thought before. I've got a 9mm conversion barrel in it now to test it. I figure there's less risk testing it with 9mm than 40. I'm looking forward to taking it out and testing it.

This was the first pistol I ever owned and it was my daily carry piece for 18 years. Having it assembled again is strangely reassuring and cheering.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:58 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:05 pm
Today I rebuilt a glock 23 that exploded catastrophically a few years ago. The gunsmith thought it could be done and I thought he was nuts. I picked up parts to rebuild it thinking I could safely put a 22LR conversion upper on it, but as I put it together I realized the damage wasn't nearly what I had thought before. I've got a 9mm conversion barrel in it now to test it. I figure there's less risk testing it with 9mm than 40. I'm looking forward to taking it out and testing it.

This was the first pistol I ever owned and it was my daily carry piece for 18 years. Having it assembled again is strangely reassuring and cheering.
:o Bold!

(respect)

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Still doing burpees for exercise. Though I took a little time off while work vomited chaos all over me.

I stated by doing 10x sets of 10 CrossFit burpees. Now I'm doing 5x sets of 20 burpees. It is killing me. Which is good. Right now 10 is easy, 15 is tough, those last 5 are killer.

Just FYI, for those interested in body weight exercises vs free weights, I strongly recommend actual free weights and good coaching in their use. But since I'm not in a position to do that right now, the way to get results with body weight exercises is to take them to failure. So the exact number of whatever you are doing doesn't matter much, but rather that you exhaust your body while doing them.

Or so says the material I've been exposed to.

I am pretty excited about getting into better shape and it has fixed some issues I had spent $$$$ to find relief from though doctors. So that is cool.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

CG

Post by CG » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:20 pm

They're clearancing a bunch of the decent rice at the grocery store. More Texmati for the stash!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:56 pm

Bought a water cooler. Okay, it's not as silly as it seems. A cooler and a supply of refills can serve very well as an emergency drinking water source. I bought a simple top-down model where the water gravity feeds so that even if the power goes out it still works as a dispenser of room temperature water, a rack to hold five extra 5 gallon bottles, and three 5 gallon bottles to start us off (all that fit in the shopping cart).

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 pm

I got one of those bags you put in your tub and fill. I pray we don't see how it works out.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:43 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 pm
I got one of those bags you put in your tub and fill. I pray we don't see how it works out.
So did I, two in fact. Except I didn't get bags, I got heavy plastic tarps to line the two tubs with. Most of the time, at least around here, you'd get a notice about the water when it's too late to fill tubs anyway, so I'm looking at the tub water as flush water or "boil first" for bathing/cooking use. And for that latter pair of uses, tub water would be secondary, with the bottled stuff being primary. We also have a very good filter on the line going to the fridge so that might be a tertiary source if the line is still running.

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:33 pm

Another seven gallons of stabilized, ethanol-free gas (89 octane) with a gallon each to the little Honda's and the remaining five going into storage.
Ran the Honda's under load for ~20 minutes.

They had been in dry storage for the last two years, so I'm glad they started easily(10 pulls - but that was empty lines and float bowls) and got a little stress test before our crappy weather season starts. :awesome:
Tony D Tiger

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:08 pm

Ordered 65' of marine grade RG-8x coax, with Amazon prime points only cost me $25. Going to try getting a different vertical antenna installed before winter (and the election) for 10m/11m/freeband listening, have a semi-homebrewed vertical whip at about 30' now which I'm not impressed with, going to try a cheap Midland no-ground-plane antenna that's been in the closet for almost two decades and see if that's any better. Not expecting much, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Either way, will need this second run of coax so I can switch between the vertical and my end-fed 1/2 wave from the shack instead of having to climb on the roof.

Not sure how likely it is, but the motivation to get it installed quickly is in the event of interesting or 'spicy' activity after Nov 3rd. Besides the 14.313, 7.2, and 3.84 MHz "sewers" of ham radio, 11m and the 'freeband' freqs might get more active and if so I don't want to be deaf to what's being said there.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:29 pm

CrossCut wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:08 pm
Ordered 65' of marine grade RG-8x coax, with Amazon prime points only cost me $25. Going to try getting a different vertical antenna installed before winter (and the election) for 10m/11m/freeband listening, have a semi-homebrewed vertical whip at about 30' now which I'm not impressed with, going to try a cheap Midland no-ground-plane antenna that's been in the closet for almost two decades and see if that's any better. Not expecting much, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Either way, will need this second run of coax so I can switch between the vertical and my end-fed 1/2 wave from the shack instead of having to climb on the roof.

Not sure how likely it is, but the motivation to get it installed quickly is in the event of interesting or 'spicy' activity after Nov 3rd. Besides the 14.313, 7.2, and 3.84 MHz "sewers" of ham radio, 11m and the 'freeband' freqs might get more active and if so I don't want to be deaf to what's being said there.
Cutting your attenuation with some better coax might help. It'd double your costs though, at a minimum. How are you switching between antennas?

Current Weather in My AO

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:39 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:29 pm
Cutting your attenuation with some better coax might help. It'd double your costs though, at a minimum. How are you switching between antennas?
Didn't even bother looking at the LMR grades, that's what I'd like, but the cost puts it in the "after I win the lotto" category :)

Have a Daiwa CS-201 switch in the junk drawer. I'd like to get an external autotuner with mult. antenna inputs at some point, but again, just not in the budget considering other needs.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:58 pm

CrossCut wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:39 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:29 pm
Didn't even bother looking at the LMR grades, that's what I'd like, but the cost puts it in the "after I win the lotto" category :)

Have a Daiwa CS-201 switch in the junk drawer. I'd like to get an external autotuner with mult. antenna inputs at some point, but again, just not in the budget considering other needs.
Be aware that the switch itself, like any adaptors used, will introduce additional attenuation.

Current Weather in My AO

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 pm

Worked.
Ordered a bunch of chocolate and dried fruit based snacks (as well as some whole grain groats).
Helped with the mental health of several people today.
Voted.
Cleaned maybe 20 years of carbon and polymerized oil out of the ejector/bolt stop assembly on my M1917, lubed and reassembled, replaced a buggered screw. Trigger is next.

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:19 pm

Installed a Timney trigger in the 1917 "American Enfield". Also "floated" the barrel from receiver out to the bayonet lug/barrel band. This is supposed to allow the barrel to vibrate and still retain <2MOA. I'm hoping with the proper furniture that is now properly bedded, I can still reach out and touch 600-800yd targets. That's always satisfying hearing that gong a second after pulling the trigger.
Also put on a Limbsaver recoil pad.
Cleaned and lubed the shotgun.
Made sure the BOBs were readily accessible, and the jump starter battery was fully charged.
Assessed the wood we have in the house just in case we need to board it up. We have enough for the whole first floor.

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

PhilTheBiker

Post by PhilTheBiker » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:22 pm

bought a trauma kit with an Israeli bandage and tourniquet

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”