What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by buck85 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:56 am

work in garden
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

scanned most of our important documents and ID cards (DD214, birth certificates, driver's license, etc) and put them on a thumbdrive. Will put thumbdrive away from where the documents are. If there is some kind of major event we can recreate manythings starting with the documents. Will be putting two months of bills on the drive too, then have such things such as how much we owe on things.

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 pm

Work in garden. It was such a nice day.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:23 pm

The garden is finally in.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:11 pm

angelofwar wrote:
zombieapocalypsegame wrote:@angelofwar

Looks like your photos broke.
Fixed! Thanks!
still not there .
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:07 pm

I have finally set aside a place ( a heavy duty shelf i my basement) to start collecting my food preps on. it currently just has a week of water and dehydrated foot, a 11lb sack of rice, and a 5lb sack of whey protein powder, but now that I have a spot for it, I can start adding onto it, especially since I've finished the "settling in" phase of my house.

My other major prep related focus is that I've been attending Emcomm classes at the local community college to network with the local Ares group (and eventually join up), as well as just to learn more.
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 am

Refilled two 20 pound propane tanks at U-Haul®. Now have four full tanks.

Have last year's heirloom tomato seeds soaking in wet newspaper in the kitchen, hoping for some sprouts in a few days.

Just cut up an old cotton t-shirt into one by one inch squares for cleaning my firearm.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Other than the home made bio-sand filter I put together, I checked on my radios, made sure my cell phones were charging, and ensured my house was in good shape outdoors re: things that can blow around easily. We've got Tornado watch weather which is pretty rare here.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Both Home Depot and Lowes are offering Kingsford charcoal for $9.99 per 2 pack
you can never grill too much
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun May 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Hmmm. We got a pretty big storm here last night. Tornado Warnings all over the area - about a month since the last one. That's odd, to say the least.

We didn't have anything but a RIDICULOUS amount of rain and good strong winds. No damage, but the hurricane ponds here actually had a good 6" of standing water in them over top of the grass.

I had just bought an iPhone 6+ from AT&T earlier in the day, and of course got the area-based warnings from that. Interestingly, they came before the warnings started appearing on the TV. I hadn't had my NOAA-monitoring radios on before that so I don't know which service started its notice earlier that people need to take shelter. That would be handy to know.

What else did I do - I've been playing with that biosand filter for other reasons (clarifying dirty brass / gunpowder-laden wash water) and of course upgraded my phone. The old 3GS I had was giving up the ghost - not being 100% reliable any more. I think the electronics inside were finally getting twitchy.

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 am

^

Ditto down here just a bit south of ya... Apparently I'm still on the phone roster because I got the automated tornado warning for Randolph AFB folks last night. Actual tornado "spotted" down here last night, though I'm not sure it touched down.

Lots of flooding up towards Wemberly.

So, what'd I do to prepare? Not much last night...just locked up and moved plants in.

Did break out the hand cranked weather radio this morning though; it'd been sitting in my little home made faraday cage inside a metal safe out in the garage, and since we never lost power,I never went out to get it. Also thought about what we'd do in a tornado situation some more since we don't have a basement here...been pondering (again) having a below grade shelter cut into in the garage floor.

Man I wish we'd have owned this house when it was being built...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon May 25, 2015 6:56 am

Cleared space in my backyard this weekend to have a shed put up. Need a place to store my gasoline, tools, and hopefully a generator. Got in some water bricks, stackable containers that hold 3.5 gallons.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Wed May 27, 2015 6:40 pm

I picked up a grill that has a "side burner" attachment, so I now have the ability to cook without electricity for a few days if I need to ( okay I also get to have cookouts with it... :D ) as always, my goal si to be able to bug in at my house for 7- 14 days. Past that I plan to bug out to my parents farm

and speaking of electricity, I managed to get the power company to track down an issue i was having, which should significantly reduce the odds that my house will burn down :P
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat May 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Elec issues? Like what?

Years ago, in a house I built via a subdivision builder, the electrical subcontractors didn't connect the neutral line properly. I was getting really bad shorts in the house, and we had the house checked like 3 different times. Turns out it was the line that ran from the power box in the street under the ground to the electrical box in the garage. And of course the builder had to pay for it all.

That was AFTER I had submitted warranty claims via APC's battery backups which I had all over the house. I lost several computers, tv's and misc appliances in the house because of all that. We thought it was just the craptacular power station the town had - it was ancient and the town was tiny when it was built. But it all worked out in the end.
Zombie Apocalypse Games

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat May 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Yesterday I contacted our landlord about the minor storm damage we had. It was just fence panels that had torn loose and fallen to the ground, and a gate that no longer functioned because the hinges tore. Rotten wood and rusted steel = no bueno for strength any more. But nothing else happened to us during the storm, and that is saying a lot because the last week or so has been CRAZY with rain, wind and lightning. The repair guy was out today taking inventory of what he'd need to do.

I was messing around with the rain barrels a bit today. I only have a 10'x10' concrete patio in our back yard, so I am hurting for space to put stuff that won't kill the grass. When we moved in, the side yard was thrashed - basically just dirt/mud depending on the time of year. So I put down two half-palettes and that's where I have been storing my extra unused rain barrels. They're empty and susceptible to wind, but where they are is pretty sheltered by both houses. But the fact is I'm not using them for storage - they're currently going to waste.

When the storms hit, the first thing that happened is my grill on the patio blew over. So, in a lull, I put it back up and brought out two more empty rain barrels to support it front & back. With a little redirection of the water from the eave, they were full in about 2 minutes. The only thing better than 450 lbs of dead weight in a barrel to make sure something doesn't move is 900 lbs in two barrels. :)

So today, I decided to finish the 9 barrels remaining on the side of the house by putting a spigot on the overflow hole on each barrel. Once that's done, I plan on putting 9 barrels of water in the side yard. They'll be exposed to the elements so I'll put in an extra dose of bleach when I seal them up. I've got a trip to Lowes planned tomorrow.

I've also decided to chuck the grill. It was a CraigsList freebie, and has seen far better days. I'm going to see what I can salvage from it re: parts before I bring the bulk of it to the local steel recycler. I bought replacement burners and distribution plates for it, so hopefully those are a standard size and I can keep them for the new one we'll get. I imagine the propane regulator could be good to keep, and I want the caster wheels from it for sure. Anything else that might be useful?
Zombie Apocalypse Games

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 pm

I finally got my first aid stuff put in my BOB. It had been sitting on the table for godknowshowlong.

Progress, as small as it might be.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Stopped by Wal-Mart this morning , and actually got a bunch of stuff I don't really need (already got it ) but would still come in handy. Got a 250 piece FAK for the backyard shed in case I have an accident doing yard work. 10 x 12 tarp, campers rain jacket for keeping in the car, magnesium fire starter bar, and some other stuff.

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Trying to use up older pantry items and reorganize it all. Used up some frozen chicken and the last little bit of spoon honey. Added a touch of water and microwaved it for 15 seconds then after spraying the frozen chicken with olive oil basted it with the honey then sprinkled with cinnamon.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Checked water storage, picked up a set of multi-cam clothing and a pair of HWI Army combat gloves.

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Well after 3 vacant months on our rental property and 3 months of paying bills to fix issues from the previous tenant, we received notice from our property management company of the current tenants intent to vacate. So to keep my mind occupied and do something thad didn't cost any money I updated our Emergency contact list. I started with the basics from Food Storage Made Easy. I adapted it to fit our family. We moved in February, both kids had changed schools, friends and co-workers moved. Our doctor left and we changed clinics. I have tried to keep it current as changes happen but it was time to sit down and really go over it with a fine tooth come. Rabies has risen in our area so I also included Animal Control. The one car we are down to breaks down a lot too so I included a few tow trucks. Hopefully we will get a new tenant in soon until then it is time to tighten the belt again.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:33 pm

inventoried my humble ammo stockpile---need more 5.56, unboxed my Baofeng UV 82, now gotta learn how to scan with it.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:32 am

I finished reading Left of Bang by Patrick van Horne and Jason Riley

Very good book on situational awareness based on the Marine Corps Combat Hunter program
Boldly going nowhere

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:24 pm

I finally got to the range to shoot my rifle (M&P-10) for the first time.

Got a book by Cody Lundin, too.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Started looking this weekend for a new rental house. Instead of renewing our lease in September, our landlord decided he wants to sell now and asked if we would move early.

It's a good thing for him, since they are undoubtedly not paying their mortgage. Every month, we get someone taking photos of the house. Different car every time, and we talked to one of them who said he was with a company in San Antonio that does occupancy verifications. Only reason to do that is if the bank is wanting to foreclose but can't because there are tenants.

SO...

Trying to help out the landlord by moving. If we can find a place that works.

All other buying-related preps on hold while we sort out the living situation.
Zombie Apocalypse Games

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”