What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Armed Hippie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Armed Hippie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Got my firearmslicens yesterday. Picked up a shotgun, 100 shells and a cleaning kit today. My first privately owned firearm.

To bad I don't have time to test it for another two weeks because I will be out travelling with the GF, but still feels pretty darn good.

The armed hippie, no actually armed
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

gallowglas

Post by gallowglas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Renewed our concealed carry.

Hubby put up 29 quarts of tomato sauce with our tomatoes and some from a local produce seller.

I'm not good for much with my cataract surgery, I'm not even allowed to bend down and tie my shoes (literally what I was told, my head is to be above my heart at all times)

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Started my first batch of biltong.

I would have started a thread on the project but there seems to be a pox on amateur biltong thread starters. They didn't seem to finish the projects very often.
Boldly going nowhere

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:04 am

Went to work.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:32 am

Discovered my ideal 6 (or 7) item system for when I'm not in work clothing, and sticking with my ideal 6 item system for when I am in work clothing (hospital scrubs):

1. Cell phone
2. Sharp thing (either a metal shafted pen, or a folding knife [too short to be illegal])
3. Tactical flashlight (streamlight, can be bright / strobe bright / be soft, uses lithium ion batteries)
4. Kimber Pepper Blaster II, awesome pepper spray device (in right front pocket)
5. Glock 26 in ankle holster (10 round capacity)
6. Spare magazine (Glock 19, 15 round capacity, works in the Glock 26)

and when in clothing with a belt:

7. Glock 19 in left handed IWB holster

So if in shorts with a belt, will use the Glock 19. Scrubs with no belt, Glock 26 on the ankle. Pants with a belt... Glock 19 primary with Glock 26 as a backup.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:14 am

I have been participating in the AmmoSeek.com Scavenger Hunt. It's crazy the level of detail that went into it.

How is this a prep?

I seem to be in 1st place, so a $500 prize just might come my way.

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 am

We're gearing up to take bacpacbaby for her first camping trip later this month. Thought a little tent practice was in order, so after we got home from a nice long hike, we set a little one up in the living room. She played in it all afternoon, and even took a not-long-enough nap in there. ;)

“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:02 am

Picked up a new plate carrier (Mayflower APC) for the level three plates I picked up a couple weeks ago and set of PIG Alpha touch gloves.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:02 am

Realized I'd been light in my medical/hygiene preps. Stocked up heavy this weekend at Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club. Now have 9 shelves full of toothpaste, oral gel, hand sanitizer, liquid soap, shampoo, medical face masks, nitrile gloves, antibiotic cream, muscle pain ointment, hydrocortisone cream, rash cream, rolls of gauze, sterile gauze pads, bandage tape, anti-biotic Band-Aids, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, baby wipes (for when bathing won't be possible) toilet tissue, paper towels, feminine napkins, aspirin, generic Aleve, ibuprofen, potassium iodide, and I have some fish anti-biotics ordered. That may not be all I stocked up on this weekend, but I'm not home to make sure.

Speaking of fish anti biotics, anyone know a link to a chart explain what a human dose would be?

Oh, and a small solar charger for charging cell phones, and e-books arrived yesterday. I plan to dedicate one of our Kindles, to just how to and prep books. Right now I have a ton of those in my cloud Kindle que, but I want to put all of them one source I can get to when power goes down.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Currently, Typhoon Ramasun is going to hit in a few hours. Still at the edge right now.
Here's my thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=113395

- Added waterproofing to some parts of the roof earlier but due to time constraints, I was only able to do a single coat.
- Phones, tablets and USB power banks charged. 18650's charged. LSD AAs for Goal Zero Guide 10+ charged. Nomad 7
solar panel will be used if the power outage lasts until the sun comes up. I hope it doesn't because it's hot and muggy.
- Rechargeable desk fan charged. Right now, I'm using a USB fan power by one of my larger USB battery banks. Will reserve
the larger fan for when it gets too hot or when the power bank dies.
- All 5 gallon water jugs just filled today. Also water drums for washing filled as well. Water hasn't gone out so far. That's a
good thing.
- Good thing I was able to buy some ice to fill up the freezer. Hopefully it's enough to see us through.
- Got extra fuel canisters for the camp stove.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

The Young Gun
Favorite Zombie Movies: The one with ZOMBIES!

Post by The Young Gun » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 am

I mounted my Nebo light mount and my Lux Pro light onto my shotgun and counted my shells.

yummbrains
Favorite Zombie Movies: Colin, Dawn of the Dead

Post by yummbrains » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Bought my very first MREs. Just samples ... I'm thinking about putting some in my storm shelter and I'd to try them out first.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:58 pm

yummbrains wrote:Bought my very first MREs. Just samples ... I'm thinking about putting some in my storm shelter and I'd to try them out first.

two words: chili-mac

You're welcome! :awesome:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
yummbrains wrote:Bought my very first MREs. Just samples ... I'm thinking about putting some in my storm shelter and I'd to try them out first.

Ha-Ha! Too True!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:40 pm

For my EDC I just got a belt with the inner zippered compartment. Got a $20 bill and a universal handcuff key in it. What other small EDCs would be good to put in there?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Barnabus wrote:For my EDC I just got a belt with the inner zippered compartment. Got a $20 bill and a universal handcuff key in it. What other small EDCs would be good to put in there?
List of emergency numbers, ceramic razor blade (or two), maybe a small fishing kit...

yummbrains

Post by yummbrains » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 pm

More like what I did from Friday through today: Picked up the 50lbs of beef from the processor, it's all nice and tucked in to the freezer now. Also set up a 15 x 48 Intex pool in the back yard. The water boys just filled it up a few hours ago. I bought it so I could workout in it. It's bigger than I thought it would be so I think we'll have the neighbors over to cool down and knock a ball around :D

yummbrains

Post by yummbrains » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm

angelofwar wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:

Ha-Ha! Too True!
I haven't tried them yet. But I look forward to more fully appreciating your chili-mac advice :D

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 am

Changed oil in the Jeep yesterday.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Bought a winch for my hilux, fitting it tomorrow.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Acquired the following:

-100' of Coyote Brown #550
-Suunto M9 Wrist Compass (Love these things!)
-2 boxes of 22LR HV HP (They finally started carrying it!!! 'bout time!)
-Box of Hornady .38 SPCL +P, HP. Got it for $21. off base, these have been going for $32-$37
-Black-hawk Universal Sling adapter for collapsible stocks. Priced at $25, rang-up at $20. (My brother gave me his single point sling when he came back from the 'Stan...I was going to get one eventually, but other preps took priority...but, you can't beat free!

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:24 pm

Bummed that my participation in the AmmoSeek scavenger hunt won't pay me the big $500 prize. Apparently I have all but one code right. hahahah! Ah well it was fun.

Finally took the plunge (ie got the wife's blessing) on buying my AR. I'll post my build in a separate thread once all the parts arrive at my FFL carrying coworker's place. Should happen on Friday if all goes well.

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 am

Ordered a few hundred feet of 550 paracord, some light sticks, and frog lube.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:13 am

Ordered a Remington 7615 and 5 magpul 10/30 round mags
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”