Climate Changes

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: Climate Changes

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:44 am

Nothing new...

Political parties exist to secure responsible government and to execute the will of the people. From these great tasks both of the old parties have turned aside. Instead of instruments to promote the general welfare they have become the tools of corrupt interests, which use them impartially to serve their selfish purposes. Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics, is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:07 am

What it shows me is that people will use any means that can to try to make a buck. It shows me greed is hard wired into human brains.

That and if a .gov entity pollutes there little chance of anyone being prosecuted.

Meanwhile the BP spill resulted in BP corp being prosecuted and pleading guilty to environmental and manslaughter charges. They deserved prosecution. You may argue that the Officers And Board of Directors should also have faced prosecution. I would agree BTW.
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/bp-explo ... ironmental

That said even that low level of accountability is rare; I have not turned up a similar prosecution of a .gov entity despite many and constant occurrances of pollution. They normally get consent decrees whereby they agree to try harder.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 pm

What it shows me is that people will use any means that can to try to make a buck. It shows me greed is hard wired into human brains.
I think we are making similar arguments just disagree on who is really pulling the strings. Using the government as top cover is as old as... government itself. Where we live now we are currently in the top 1-2% of income earners in the county. Relative to say Manhattan where I would be somewhere in middle income on the spectrum. So I am not really rich, just well off relative to the local population.

Since moving here I have noticed that if I don't go against the grain too much, donate to all the right people and know who is responsible for what, I get a shockingly responsive government that is sensitive to my needs. Engagement is of course key. I always try to use whatever influence I have for the greater good and don't always get everything I want but I do get it more often than not. Around here the top 10% of the 1% pretty much do get everything they want, the way the want it. Not all are hardwired to greed but they didn't get where they are in life by not watching the bottom line.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 pm
I think we are making similar arguments just disagree on who is really pulling the strings. Using the government as top cover is as old as... government itself. Where we live now we are currently in the top 1-2% of income earners in the county. Relative to say Manhattan where I would be somewhere in middle income on the spectrum. So I am not really rich, just well off relative to the local population.

Since moving here I have noticed that if I don't go against the grain too much, donate to all the right people and know who is responsible for what, I get a shockingly responsive government that is sensitive to my needs. Engagement is of course key. I always try to use whatever influence I have for the greater good and don't always get everything I want but I do get it more often than not. Around here the top 10% of the 1% pretty much do get everything they want, the way the want it. Not all are hardwired to greed but they didn't get where they are in life by not watching the bottom line.

I would agree. It will vary in some cases.

That and point out that power and wealth do not always go hand in hand. The 1% may not actually control the strings. They may influence the string pullers. The thing wealth does provide is access to both string pullers and people who can influence the string pullers. Lawyers and lobbyists are paid very well for exactly that reason.

It ain't what you know but rather who you know that matters in this world.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 pm

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:46 am

What ticks me off about global climate change is all of the hand wringing over what to do about it. There are things we can be doing now that are proven to reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. Plant trees and stop cutting down the existing ones.

Nature already has an existing and efficient means of removing carbon from the atmosphere, but no country has the political will to put a stop its destruction.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:13 am

DarkAxel wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:46 am
Plant trees and stop cutting down the existing ones.
^^^this^^^this^^^this^^^

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:07 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:13 am
DarkAxel wrote:
^^^this^^^this^^^this^^^
Odd, I have been told that trees are a renewable source of energy.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:50 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:
^^^this^^^this^^^this^^^
Depends what you're doing. Wood's still one of our best build materials, and continues acting as a carbon sink. So if you harvest trees in a sustainable manner then cutting's fine.

Also, the type of tree. E.g. I'm kind of a proponent of bois d'arc for a lot of things because it's fast-growing, fast-recovering, long-lasting once harvested, noninvasive (it basically can't reproduce without human help anymore) and (almost ludicrously) tough. Doesn't make great lumber for anything larger than a barbed-wire fence post. And, in a PAW scenario where you need to burn wood for utility, it's got a lot of energy per volume.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:43 am

Eat fewer beans.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 am

Eat more beans.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:41 am

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:54 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:50 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:
^^^this^^^this^^^this^^^
Depends what you're doing. Wood's still one of our best build materials, and continues acting as a carbon sink. So if you harvest trees in a sustainable manner then cutting's fine.

Also, the type of tree. E.g. I'm kind of a proponent of bois d'arc for a lot of things because it's fast-growing, fast-recovering, long-lasting once harvested, noninvasive (it basically can't reproduce without human help anymore) and (almost ludicrously) tough. Doesn't make great lumber for anything larger than a barbed-wire fence post. And, in a PAW scenario where you need to burn wood for utility, it's got a lot of energy per volume.
Yep cutting down trees is perfectly fine as long as they are replanted.

I just harvested (a few) acres of pine but replanted a portion of the harvested property with fast (relatively speaking ) cypress trees. These were planted in lieu of long leaf pine in a section that is suitable for the cypress. The cypress will increase the harvest time cycle but in theory the value will offset the delay in harvest.

Still for aesthetic reasons leave the old growth forests be and harvest the smaller young trees in those forests. Targeting such trees for harvest is also a good management practice.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 am

Support coral reef growth.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 am
Support coral reef growth.
Yes. I agree. ^this^. +1 x (a very large number).

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:27 am

@raptor: you were comparing the cost of individual (rooftop) scale solar to utility scale coal.

Check out this report on levelized cost of energy (LCOE):
https://www.lazard.com/media/451086/laz ... 130-vf.pdf

TL:DR, unsubsidized solar and wind are not only cheaper than building new coal plants, it is in some cases cheaper to build new wind or solar than the marginal cost to continue operating a coal plant you already paid to build. Thus the spate of early retirements of coal plants in the past two years.

The report also shows the price effects of subsidies (not huge for solar, somewhat significant for wind).
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”