Req: Comprehenssive List of Documents To Carry

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

professor_porter

Req: Comprehenssive List of Documents To Carry

Post by professor_porter » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:03 am

First post...

I've spent some time searching the forums and have come across partial lists of documents you should copy/scan/carry/digitize & encrypt, but I was hoping someone could post what they consider a comprehensive list.

Thank you in advance.

hunter :(

Re: Req: Comprehenssive List of Documents To Carry

Post by hunter :( » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:34 am

professor_porter wrote:First post...

I've spent some time searching the forums and have come across partial lists of documents you should copy/scan/carry/digitize & encrypt, but I was hoping someone could post what they consider a comprehensive list.

Thank you in advance.
Driver's Permit
Passport
Birth Certificate
House Deed
Insurance Card (House/Health/Dental/Car)
Bank Statement
Hunting/Fishing Permit
Macgyver used bamboo, mud and swamp gas to make bombs. When I tried it, I made a mess.

nivek

Post by nivek » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:51 am

A starting resource - Emergency Financial First Aid Kit

An abbreviated version of my list is:

Contact Phone,email, address and relationship for people who can bail me out

Contact Phone, email, address, my identifying # and expiration date for
Car,Home,Renters, Umbrella and Life Insurance

Contact Phone, email, address, my identifying # and rough value for
All bank, saving, credit card, investment & brokerage accounts

Vehicle Registration, VIN, license plate, Proof of Insurance

Voter ID, Birth Certificate, Soc Sec Card, CCW permit, passport & (whatever military ID's there are Discharge forms?)

Thinking about it again:

I ought to put my household inventory and pix on a USB drive.
I ought to put my apartment complex #, address and ditto for their management company
I ought to put contact info and customer # for all my utilities and car loan people.

In general, have a list of everyone who owes you money and everyone you owe money to.

Bail bondsman and lawyer #'s would be good.

Medical info would be good, especially allergies and vaccinations. Maybe a sample of my DNA someplace else so my family could ID my corpse.

Some form of a will and a living will.

The problem with my file is that it is also an "assume my identity kit" I need to get around to doing some basic encoding that I can undo by hand, like a vignere cipher with an easy to remember key. The NSA has all that information about me anyway, I just don't want random meth freak #1 to be able to break it.
Zombies can't conjugate, punctuate or, umm... irrigate?

Read or Die Retake Olivey Library, Barrville, Malton - 18/04/06

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:05 pm

I use one of those encrypted usb drives, and althugh its not perfect, it is some form of protection.

In addition to the documents, I list serial numbers of all expensive items like computers, iPods etc, and I also store digital photos of most important items for insurance purposes.

Unencrypted, I keep a medical alert document in PDF format showing my allergies... just in case.
British by birth, American by choice.
Bespoke shooting accessories Retro Tactical - Get Yours here!

undeaddeadguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by undeaddeadguy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:22 pm

For all people storing data on USB drives: If TSHTF, I very much doubt anyone is going to plug a USB drive into their computer. And also, the power could be out, or an EMP... etc.

So I suggest keeping all UBER IMPORTANT items as hard copies. So if you have any medical data, keep it on you in paper format.

Just my thought...

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:30 pm

If the SHTF, those documents largely become irrelevant anyway.
My reason for keeping these documents is for limited scale problems (like Katrina).

undeaddeadguy

Post by undeaddeadguy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:34 pm

Politenessman wrote:If the SHTF, those documents largely become irrelevant anyway.
My reason for keeping these documents is for limited scale problems (like Katrina).
A list of allergens might not be irrelevant when you have a penicillin allergy and you need to go to the hospital...

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:50 pm

I carry a medic alert card for that.
I have heard of people who tattoo that onto them selves too.

mark

Post by mark » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:42 pm

undeaddeadguy wrote:
Politenessman wrote:If the SHTF, those documents largely become irrelevant anyway.
A list of allergens might not be irrelevant when you have a penicillin allergy and you need to go to the hospital...
im fairly sure he means the end of the civilized world wherein hospitals would cease to functon or exist

undeaddeadguy

Post by undeaddeadguy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:06 pm

Politenessman wrote:I carry a medic alert card for that.
I have heard of people who tattoo that onto them selves too.
<immaturity>
Medical alert card is a hard copy... so I win!
</immaturity>

And even if it's TEOTWAWKI, there can still be antibiotics around.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:17 am

Physical documents and copies in a Tupperware box that can be duct taped shut. It can thusly be tossed in the back of a truck.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Tegyrius

Post by Tegyrius » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:53 am

I'd add "concealed carry permit" (and other related documents, in states that require them) to the list of ID copies. If it's likely that you'll be engaged in an out-of-state evacuation during a regional disaster (e.g. hurricane), it might not hurt to keep a list of the neighboring states that offer reciprocity, too.

- C.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:31 am

I think you all have really good ideas on what you should have. Honestly, I think all of your important documents should be stored in a safe deposit box or a fireproof safe in your home if not the originals then copies would suffice. Otherwise, I've scanned, saved to my flashdrive, printed and laminated the following documents (With *s next to them) and have yet to do the rest but here's my list:

Military IDs*
Driver's License/Permit*
Car Registration*
Marriage License/ Certificate*
Birth Certificates*
SS Cards*
All Credit & Debit Cards*
Bank Acount Information*
Wills*
Life/Car/Medical Insurance*
Military Orders*
Weapons Permits
Military Driver's License*
Passports
Contact Information for various VIP (Family, Friends, etc.)*
DA Form 4986 (Personal Property Record)*

The reason why I haven't done any of this to my weapons permits or passports is because I don't have either - however, if I should acquire them I will.

I forget who or where they said it but someone said something about putting them in a plastic bag then in tupperware and then sealing it? That's a good idea but it takes up too much room. I have TONS of room in my BoB for extra stuff and if you've seen my previous post elsewhere you'll see how much stuff I have. Space and weight are the two key elements for a BoB.
ImageImage

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:11 am

That's a really good idea to laminate a copy of your orders. I always seem to be needing those damn things.

Right now I just keep all of them in a zip lock bag in a file drawer.

This topic has got me thinking I really do need to get a fire proof box for all my important documents, will any fire proof box work or are some not as good as others?
Absit invidia.

Bruise

Post by Bruise » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 am

Razor wrote:That's a really good idea to laminate a copy of your orders. I always seem to be needing those damn things.

Right now I just keep all of them in a zip lock bag in a file drawer.

This topic has got me thinking I really do need to get a fire proof box for all my important documents, will any fire proof box work or are some not as good as others?
Razor, Back in the spring of '91 my family had a fire that nearly destroyed the family resturant. We had one of those Sentry Fire Boxes along with a safe. Sadly the old man thought he would save a few bucks and bought a cheap ass safe. The paperwork in the safe had serious smoke and fire damage. The stuff in the sentry box was nearly pristine, smelled a little funky but other than that it was fine. I would say go with a good portable firebox from a reputable name, the thicker the better. The cheapper knock of types just dont cut the muster.

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks Bruise, I was thinking a Sentry Fire Boxes would be a good idea, nice to know they really do work. I'll probably pick one up some time next pay check.
Absit invidia.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:37 pm

1st and the 15th lol. Hooah! But no seriously, that answered one of my questions too. I would be done scanning and laminating my documents but my master driver at work decided to screw up my military license and put the expiration date a week out... ? So yeah... I'll have to wait on that.
ImageImage

rotncore

Post by rotncore » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:48 pm

To add to the list:

Firearms licenses and registration certs <- for those not in a gun friendly state.

Important GPS coordinates (to give to others, or in case you and your GPS get separated.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Seems like a really good list so instead of adding documents thought I would throw in how I store my documents. The originals are in a fire/flood resistant safe that is small enough to carry. Physical and electronic copies are kept in with my BOB. Finally, I have a special email account that is used only as a "document repository" where I have PDF copies of these documents. That way if I am away from home and need to get at some info as long as I can get on-line I can get copies.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

FirstToFall
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (original)

USB

Post by FirstToFall » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:07 am

If anyone's keeping an electronic backup on a USB drive and they don't want to spring for the proprietary secure drives you can use a freeware software called 'Cryptainer PE' that creates an encrypted mounted drive (f:\crypt, for instance) and the whole software can be self-contained on the drive. That means you have your documents protected against theft (whoops I lost my thumbdrive and whomever finds it will have my SSN, etc) and you can use it on any PC without needing to worry about whether or not they have the Cryptainer software installed. The software is pretty easy to use and I've been very pleased with it.

I'm working on a Home Inventory list with pics and everything. I plan on keeping a hard copy and one on secure USB. Any important home documents I scan and keep electronically. "Uh... Can I get this USB Drive notarized?"
It's not much, but it's more than I had before.

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:37 pm

You can take any of your maps that you might have to OfficeMax or somewhere like that to have them laminate them for you as long as they aren't wider than I believe 24" or 36". Call them and they can tell you for sure.

Since I got out I've put my important documents in a safe and I'm about to start laminating stuff again since I have more important documentation now.

Before laminating a map, you could use a highlighter to set up various trails or paths of travel. After it's laminated you could use a dry erase marker while you are using it to make notes or markings for various things as you go or just to keep track

Thoughts on laminating maps?
ImageImage

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:38 pm

And in my defense, maps are important documents....you try to get somewhere without a GPS (a digital map) or a paper map and tell me it's not important lol.

Just remember to never laminate your social security card as it will become void if you do so and you'll have to get another.
ImageImage

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I don't carry papers of any kind on me now. Why would I ever.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm

TheFreakinBear wrote:And in my defense, maps are important documents....you try to get somewhere without a GPS (a digital map) or a paper map and tell me it's not important lol.

Just remember to never laminate your social security card as it will become void if you do so and you'll have to get another.
So, I guess you're doing that thing they said you were in the other thread, huh? Good luck to you, sir.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”