Page 4 of 55

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:04 am
by jptp0831
I need a new weed eater.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:14 am
by silentpoet
if wal-mart, costco and sams are out how about going to Kmart, nobody ever goes there. :D

K-Mart.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:52 pm
by Williams
K-Mart isn't still in business, are they? I thought they closed down years ago.

--
Williams

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:33 pm
by Erik
Noples. We have two K Marts in this town.

-Erik

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm
by travellingJeff
I think that Wal-Mart might not be a bad idea, honestly. Especially for my situation. Staying home for a few more weeks, I live about 15 minutes away from a HUGE wal-mart thats also somewhat out in the boonies, not many people around. I could be there in 10 minutes ready to, well, while not discussing illegal activities, I could "obtain food and goods for less than market value". I think that an early arrival could make Wal-Mart worth while. Especially if you've got a good shopping list. While the morons are stealing their new big screen TV's, malt liquor and cigarettes, you'd be "obtaining" non-persihable foods, dairy products, bags of ice, maybe a few coolers, maybe all of their ammunition.

I'd probably make it a three man operation. One outside, two inside. All have radios. Guy outside is sitting in the drivers seat, vehicle running. If "something bad" approaches, guys inside would make a bee-line for the vehicle. Guys inside would be coordinated in what they are to grab and how they are to get it back to the vehicle.

Even if lots of sheep show up, it only takes a few wolves to take over.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 pm
by Ranger0402
Wow, looting AND banditry in the same post. Sweet!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:23 am
by Gunny
travellingJeff wrote:I think that Wal-Mart might not be a bad idea, honestly. Especially for my situation. Staying home for a few more weeks, I live about 15 minutes away from a HUGE wal-mart thats also somewhat out in the boonies, not many people around. I could be there in 10 minutes ready to, well, while not discussing illegal activities, I could "obtain food and goods for less than market value". I think that an early arrival could make Wal-Mart worth while. Especially if you've got a good shopping list. While the morons are stealing their new big screen TV's, malt liquor and cigarettes, you'd be "obtaining" non-persihable foods, dairy products, bags of ice, maybe a few coolers, maybe all of their ammunition.

I'd probably make it a three man operation. One outside, two inside. All have radios. Guy outside is sitting in the drivers seat, vehicle running. If "something bad" approaches, guys inside would make a bee-line for the vehicle. Guys inside would be coordinated in what they are to grab and how they are to get it back to the vehicle.

Even if lots of sheep show up, it only takes a few wolves to take over.
Jeff: this is your first of two warnings. You WILL read our rules or I WILL ban you. This type of shit doesn't fly on our forums.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:04 pm
by Off Duty Ninja
How hard is the concept of have the essentials before TSHTF? Why would you even consider going into a Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or even S-Mart? I can understand not being able to read the future, and you might run out of something, or need something...but come on...

Water - Check

Generator with Extra Fuel - Check

Food Stuffs for 4 Weeks or So - Check

STAY AT HOME!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:33 pm
by Hanuman110
I thought this thread got summed up pretty well by the end of the first page. The title pretty much spelled it out quite simply.

Just say NO! to the idea of holing up in the big box stores. Image

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:05 pm
by Gunny
Off Duty Ninja wrote:How hard is the concept of have the essentials before TSHTF? Why would you even consider going into a Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or even S-Mart? I can understand not being able to read the future, and you might run out of something, or need something...but come on...

Water - Check

Generator with Extra Fuel - Check

Food Stuffs for 4 Weeks or So - Check

STAY AT HOME!
For some reason, people can't get this concept through their head. For them, food comes from the local grocery store, car repairs the dealer, medical care comes in the form of a few guys in an ambulance whenever you need it.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:00 pm
by Off Duty Ninja
Gunny wrote:For some reason, people can't get this concept through their head. For them, food comes from the local grocery store, car repairs the dealer, medical care comes in the form of a few guys in an ambulance whenever you need it.
You mean meat comes from Cows and not the Super Market? My car doesn't repair itself when I drop it off at the magical building? The guys in the rolly Hospital aren't doctors?

Holy Hell, what lies I have been living?!?

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:58 pm
by hunter :(
Off Duty Ninja wrote:Holy Hell, what lies I have been living?!?
Next he will say you aren't really a ninja. Don't worry, when you loot Wal-mart, you could always loot a copy of The Grandmaster's Book of Ninja Training

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... _id=309343

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:31 pm
by TCB in TN
My SHTF plan is a little more simple than most. If things are not to bad local (here in BFE) then hold tight at home, drop the bucket down the old well shaft, eat what's in the pantry and see how things go. Things stay bad, well there are the chickens, goats, cows, horses, plenty of dogs, cats, and lots of local fish and game. Have a decent set up, good field of fire (50 to 400 yards clear around). Not as secure as I would like but not to bad. Things get real bad, well I have family right down the road who I can join with to combine both fire power and supplies. Both Sister and Dad's place are even more defendable than mine. Things get REALLY bad, My uncle has about 1500 acres less than a mile from home. A couple of very defendable locations, plenty of live stock ( raises elk, along with what I can easy drive over) lots of fish and game, major power generators, solar setup, both city water and several excellent ground water wells. Plenty of heavy equipment, weapons, ammo and a very good survival mentality. We have discussed the scenerios and all are in agreement. Combining our resources and man power should allow us to be very successful in our survival efforts.

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm
by Feuerlied
I have to admit, before I came here and I thought about a zombie invasion I thought that I would bug out in a Wal Mart. Of course, now I know that that's a REALLY bad idea. I have a lot of ramen, dry foods, and rice here that it could last me for a while. At least for longer than I'd like to stay in one place and more than I'd like to carry with me if I did decide to leave for somewhere else.

Okay, yeah... I don't have plans thought up that well yet (I don't even have a rifle yet, only a .45ACP and .22lr. Shame on me). I was thinking about getting my friends together, getting some food, and then deciding if we would make our way to the upper peninsula of Michigan (deep in the forest there and wait it out), or go south where survival ability against nature would be more likely.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:22 pm
by Karmas Laugh
Ok here's the thing, in Fort Smith an Arvest bank exist on an incline next to a neighbor hood walmart. it has very few windows on the bottom and only one elevator system. That's our place to go to, because the building is several stories tall and next to a food supply, with a mall across the street. So we wouldn't go directly to the Food source but wait until we get fortified better.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:11 pm
by J-Rad
:roll:

people really just don't get it...

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 pm
by jamoni
Karmas Laugh wrote:Ok here's the thing, in Fort Smith an Arvest bank exist on an incline next to a neighbor hood walmart. it has very few windows on the bottom and only one elevator system. That's our place to go to, because the building is several stories tall and next to a food supply, with a mall across the street. So we wouldn't go directly to the Food source but wait until we get fortified better.
Kids, repeat after me:
WAL MART
IS NOT
A
FOOD
SUPPLY!!!!!!!!!
Unless by food supply you mean death trap.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:13 pm
by undeaddeadguy
jamoni wrote:
Karmas Laugh wrote:Ok here's the thing, in Fort Smith an Arvest bank exist on an incline next to a neighbor hood walmart. it has very few windows on the bottom and only one elevator system. That's our place to go to, because the building is several stories tall and next to a food supply, with a mall across the street. So we wouldn't go directly to the Food source but wait until we get fortified better.
Kids, repeat after me:
WAL MART
IS NOT
A
FOOD
SUPPLY!!!!!!!!!
Unless by food supply you mean death trap.
Walmart is not a food supply. :roll:

Walmart is, however, a perfect example of Darwinism in the PAW. The weak and stupid will die in order to make room for the strong. Or the zombies.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:00 am
by hunter :(
So when is it okay to raid the Walmart?

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:11 am
by Leatherman
i guess when it gets to the point of green terrace from land of the dead, even then if you haven't set up your own system of producing food i.e. farming raising animals, you shouldn't still be alive anywho. instead of trying to think about getting materials from places think of how you can produce them yourselves.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:29 am
by PlatonicPimp
It probably never is.

Early raiding has 3 problems.
1st, So long as the emergency isn't a true apocalypse, then normality will re-assert itself later. In other words, the rule of law still exists and you will have to abide by it to aviod later prosecution. See how looters, even those who only took necessities, were treated after Katrina.
2nd: That stuff belongs to someone. Do you think the Walmart employees just evaporated?
3rd: Everyone else will go there. You'll have to fight your way through the greatest concentration of people anywhere in an emergency. You will not make it through a sea of gangbangers and desperate housewives. They'll eat you alive, even if they aren't yet zombies.

Later raiding has 2 problems.
1st: Someone else has probably beat you to it. Someone ccame out on top of that sea of chaos previously mentioned. They got the goods. There's nothing there anymore
2nd: It's still occupied. Either the people who survived the earlier chaos buged in here, or other people who found it abandoned decided to claim it.

It boils down to this: it might be great to be the warlord of hte walmart. But everyone else is going to have the same Idea. You might be the lucky dude to come out on top, but the odds are against it. There's just too much competition.

Can we lock this thread? I think the point is adequately made. We don't need to reiterate this every time a new poster joins and wants to argue the point.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 am
by undeaddeadguy
I think we keep the thread open just to bash on newbies which would spam the forums with "If zombies come, I'm going to bug out to walmart!!!" threads.

Also, being the king of Wal-Mart/Costco would suck. A lot of that food would go bad. The canned stuff would probably run out since so many people are going to beat you to it, or your group is going to be so massive and ill disciplined that they will consume the food within weeks. And of course, what Walmart employee would leave firearms in the store without taking a good majority of it with them? If it was my last day at work and TS was HTF, I would write up an IOU* slip for the boss and grab some extra ammo and maybe a weapon.


*I'm not looting, I would be paying for it with whatever money is on hand. Looting is bad, OK kids?

Preparation aint just a seasoning for your dinner

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:21 am
by GhostlyKarliion
Sheesh, four pages of talking about people’s plans to get what they need after the fact...

Listen closely, if you have to go out and get things after you bug in, then YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A MOST FATAL MISTAKE.

(edit cause I hit enter instead of shift)

Also as of note, I have noticed something that always seems to get overlooked.

You have food, check.
You have water, check.
You have fuel, check.

Did you ever stop to think that you might need some medical supplies?

There is NO REASON to not have substantial medical supplies on hand at all times.

Keep two bottles of 91% isopropyl alcohol,
Aspirin,
Ibuprofen (Motrin) and Naproxen (Aleve),
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl),
Guaifenesin (Robitussin),
Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed),
Hydrocortisone cream (Cortizone-10),
Neomycin/Polymyxin B (Neosporin),
Alcohol based hand sanitizer,
Medical grade non-latex gloves,
2 rolls of adhesive tape,
6-8 sterile gauze pads,
4 triangular bandages,
30 feet of gauze,
200 small bandages,
Scissors (small, medical variety),
Tweezers (both normal and locking),
2 or more Cold packs

An advanced first aid book for reference

That is the bare minimum for a bug out bag; at your house you should have that and more. In a survival situation a simple infection can become a BIG problem. Same goes with a cough or headache. Having basic medical supplies is a preventative measure that you have no excuse to not take.

Re: Preparation aint just a seasoning for your dinner

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:54 pm
by undeaddeadguy
GhostlyKarliion wrote: Also as of note, I have noticed something that always seems to get overlooked.

You have food, check.
You have water, check.
You have fuel, check.

Did you ever stop to think that you might need some medical supplies?
Good point. I have a ton of that stuff around, so I am set.