Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm

One of my coworkers (a very experienced lady with a lot of seniority and is amazing at her job) stated at lunch the other day so matter of factly that: "I don't know why people get so worked up over this apocalypse and zombies, all you have to do is go to a Walmart and camp there!" This came up after we were all joking about nuclear war and zombies.

Since she's basically the boss of everyone, I don't think she was expecting polite resistance when I had to explain that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on

Oh well, seems like there are two types of survivors in the world: those that Walmart, and those that don't...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:One of my coworkers (a very experienced lady with a lot of seniority and is amazing at her job) stated at lunch the other day so matter of factly that: "I don't know why people get so worked up over this apocalypse and zombies, all you have to do is go to a Walmart and camp there!" This came up after we were all joking about nuclear war and zombies.
The Haiti earthquake was in 2010. If you go back in this thread to that time frame, I posted a couple photos of looters killing other looters there. An interesting point was people got killed fighting over children's toys, not food or supplies.

Also back in that time frame I posted a cost comparison of an AR, case of ammo, and fighting gear/plates, comparing that to how much beans/rice/oil you could buy for the same money. You can feed a lot of people a long time for the cost of outfitting one person to risk his life looting.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

dallasfencecomp

Post by dallasfencecomp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:53 am

Everyone realizes that perfection is not possible-

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm

this thread needs a bump :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:The Haiti earthquake was in 2010. If you go back in this thread to that time frame, I posted a couple photos of looters killing other looters there. An interesting point was people got killed fighting over children's toys, not food or supplies.
You know, if you think about it as a total picture, that could be a positive thing....
Not that the looters were fighting over toys or TVs, but they were thinking this is just another bump and the world will go on.
In a way they were thinking of the future.

A little late of course for that earthquake, but I wonder how many around the world saw that and now stock a little water & a few cans where they had nothing before.
Those stories do get around (obviously) and I know we have had a few members come after hearing about things of that nature.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 am

I watched some old YouTube videos showing looting during Katrina. It showed the Wal-Mart looting. Those were very unpleasant days.

Wal-Mart in a disaster, is a disaster.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 am

You know it occurred to me, if you bugged out to Victoria's Secret, one would have a much better looking class of zombies.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 am

flybynight wrote:You know it occurred to me, if you bugged out to Victoria's Secret, one would have a much better looking class of zombies.
And then, who in their right mind would argue with us as we dressed for combat?!
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 am

flybynight wrote:You know it occurred to me, if you bugged out to Victoria's Secret, one would have a much better looking class of zombies.
You are nightmarish wrong in your assumption.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Well which is it? Nightmarish or wrong?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:23 pm

TEOTWAWKI let's all go to Wal-Mart, buy all the grills and perishable food with our now worthless credit cards and cash, move to the parking lot and go out with one fantastic BBQ last meal.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:47 pm

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Well which is it? Nightmarish or wrong?
Both. Just google "plus size Victoria secrets models" to get the idea.
Shall be my brother

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 am

Can we please NOT go down the "fat women are disgusting and should all be hidden behind walls" road?
Often spouted by fat men who feel THEY look fine.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Can we please NOT go down the "fat women are disgusting and should all be hidden behind walls" road?
Often spouted by fat men who feel THEY look fine.

HAHAHAHA GOT 'EM!!!

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:27 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Can we please NOT go down the "fat women are disgusting and should all be hidden behind walls" road? Often spouted by fat men who feel THEY look fine.
Sort of like those fatty men rockin' the Speedo at the beach....

That's why the lifeguards keep a Thermos of hot bleach on hand.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am

This thread is already 53 pages long. Please do not turn it into a chat thread.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Jan 2017 in a WalMart in Mexico

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Family Dollar, Wilmington, NC - September 2018 after a minor Hurricane.

https://www.wfla.com/weather/hurricane- ... 1448842846
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Shit like that really pisses me off. They say the only thing that separates many a law abiding citizen from a common thief is opportunity. I guess these people saw that opportunity. It's not even a case of people desperate for life sustaining supplies in a time of crisis. It's that a time of crisis offered a convenient opportunity to commit crime with little to no chance of any consequences.
"We are aware of the looting occurring at the Family Dollar Store at 13th & Greenfield streets, unfortunately, management has asked not to intervene at this time," Wilmington police tweeted about the incident.
Anyone want to hazard a rationale for that? My best guess is that looters are the store's regular paying clientele. Prosecuting them would antagonize their customer base and store management figured it's cheaper to lose a day's worth of inventory that sells for $1 than to risk longer term retribution in the form of vandalism or a boycott? Doesn't really make sense to me but that's the best I can come up with.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm
SCBrian wrote:

Shit like that really pisses me off. They say the only thing that separates many a law abiding citizen from a common thief is opportunity. I guess these people saw that opportunity. It's not even a case of people desperate for life sustaining supplies in a time of crisis. It's that a time of crisis offered a convenient opportunity to commit crime with little to no chance of any consequences.
"We are aware of the looting occurring at the Family Dollar Store at 13th & Greenfield streets, unfortunately, management has asked not to intervene at this time," Wilmington police tweeted about the incident.
Anyone want to hazard a rationale for that? My best guess is that looters are the store's regular paying clientele. Prosecuting them would antagonize their customer base and store management figured it's cheaper to lose a day's worth of inventory that sells for $1 than to risk longer term retribution in the form of vandalism or a boycott? Doesn't really make sense to me but that's the best I can come up with.
It would take sense that liability issues, social media grilling, wider threats of boycott, and maybe feeling the police are more useful elsewhere, all played a part.

Also, at this point what is done is done. Prevention is needed. Once prevention fails, maybe just let the police do other things?

My guesses.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:57 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm
SCBrian wrote:

Some folks just don't get the connection between their actions and the consequences or believe that anyone who has a business must be rich enough to just brush off losses like this. Eventually, they wind up living in neighborhoods that are more like Bazilian favelas than something that belongs in the USA, complaining that it's the fault of everyone but themselves.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:19 am

It may a "minor hurricane" but the city is completely cut off due to flooding. The civilized behavior of people tends to drop like a brick when they feel trapped.
Shall be my brother

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 am

In college, we studied Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development. People operating at the very first, lowest stage of moral development distinguish between right and wrong in terms of whether or not an action will result in punishment. In other words, something isn't truly "wrong" if there's no chance of getting caught. This is the moral reasoning of a toddler.

I'm trying to decide if that many adults are really operating at that level of infantile moral development in their day to day lives, or whether people drop a few stages on Kohlberg's scale in times of disaster. I'm not sure which is more frightening.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:22 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 pm

It would take sense that liability issues, social media grilling, wider threats of boycott, and maybe feeling the police are more useful elsewhere, all played a part.

Also, at this point what is done is done. Prevention is needed. Once prevention fails, maybe just let the police do other things?

My guesses.
I agree, at this point the losses are likely covered by insurance (assuming they are not self insured). They probably view it as a sunk cost. Once the looting starts it likely is just that.

My comment is simply watch the behavior and remember this. You should assume this is not an isolated instance of this behavior.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”