Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 pm

teotwaki wrote: "During the immediate aftermath of Katrina there was a widespread feeling in the GNO area that the world had indeed ended. That we were living in the PAW. Even I felt this way initially."

How could the entire remaining United States be written off by anyone due to severe local weather in GNO??? No matter how slow the Feds were you'd have to know that they would be showing up at some point and take a very dim view of illegal acts. The timeline shows that it was a little over a week before thousands of troops showed up, not even close to PAW. It was a screwed up mess but not "living in a PAW".
For the people in CA after a big quake or in NOLA after Katrina it will seem like the PAW. It is not something that can be explained...only experienced... or not ... if you are lucky.

The feds showing up did not solve the problem. There were simply more people available.

This is really getting this thread off topic. Feel free to PM me for pics and details; if you are interested.

teotwaki wrote:Some good points mentioned but I was looking for relevant law that governs us in the here and now and how it applies after any major true PAW event, not an 8 day weather event.
Every state has abandoned property laws. Within each state many cities have their laws governing found/abandoned property.

Then as I pointed out in my post many of those laws may be overruled by State of Emergency declarations.

You need to look to the state laws where the SHTF event occurs.

I would note that in some instances like an "8 day weather event" just going into an unattended store may be considered felony looting due to the fact that the "8 day weather event" occurred and the store is unattended for that reason.

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2 ... /rs14-62-5
Looting is the intentional entry by a person without authorization into any dwelling or other structure belonging to another and used in whole or in part as a home or place of abode by a person, or any structure belonging to another and used in whole or in part as a place of business, or any vehicle, watercraft, building, plant, establishment, or other structure, movable or immovable, in which normal security of property is not present by virtue of a hurricane, flood, fire, act of God, or force majeure of any kind, or by virtue of a riot, mob, or other human agency, and the obtaining or exerting control over or damaging or removing property of the owner.
The State of LA, as do many other states, has a special extra penalty for looting during a State of Emergency. A State of Emergency declaration can possibly by in effect for a very long time.
C. Whoever commits the crime of looting during the existence of a state of emergency, ...snip... shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than three years nor more than fifteen years without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.
This assumes of course that you are not shot for looting.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... y_got.html

All the more reason to avoid Walmart in a SHTF event

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:10 pm

It won't matter anyway, at least not at Walmart. All you are going to find is this six month after (if you are lucky):

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:06 am

Stercutus wrote:It won't matter anyway, at least not at Walmart. All you are going to find is this six month after (if you are lucky):

Flood damage?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Flood damage?
Yes, from the malt liquor urine.
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Stercutus wrote:It won't matter anyway, at least not at Walmart. All you are going to find is this six month after (if you are lucky):

Actually that is what retail establishments always look like right after the Christmas shopping. Black Friday/Thursday too. Then Elves, sometimes know as "Night Crew Elves," come in and wave magic wands and put things to right. It's pretty amazing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Well goody. Those happy elves can get me all that I need after the PAW without breaking the law or the forum rules. :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

andrewza
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later
Location: this univers, milkyway, sole sytem, earth, africa South Africa, simmonstown

Post by andrewza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:33 pm

I want to go to a mall with a drone so I can watch the fun as mall ninjas kill themselves or get killed.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Andrew we barely got to know ya. Fare thee well.
Shall be my brother

andrewza
Location: this univers, milkyway, sole sytem, earth, africa South Africa, simmonstown

Post by andrewza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:Andrew we barely got to know ya. Fare thee well.
Never said I was going to do any killing. Just would not mind watching the place from far away. Any case haven been in a mall during a protest that became a riot I would not go to one. The tear gas builds ups and does not disperses nearly as fast in side as out side. I remember that riot even though I was 10.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:05 pm

So watching killing is fun?
Shall be my brother

andrewza

Post by andrewza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Stercutus wrote:So watching killing is fun?

that question has a lot of depends on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:14 pm

andrewza wrote:

I'd say it doesn't. Certainly not under the conditions outlined above.
Shall be my brother

andrewza

Post by andrewza » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:59 pm

Stercutus wrote:
andrewza wrote:

I'd say it doesn't. Certainly not under the conditions outlined above.

Depending on the clarity of the image and distances from the event and people it does become something interesting to watch. Sort of like video from a attack chopper killing ISIS, AQ or Taliban.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:32 am

Guys this is way off the subject please stay on topic...which is Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:40 pm

You know I never understood why there was so much condemnation over the length of time relief/aid was given after Katrina. I have a old video (early 90's vhs) put out by LAFD about surviving a great quake. One of the things they listed as essential was food and water for each member of your family/group for two weeks.
The narrator of the video stated that after a great quake the infrastructure of roads, ports, airport runways and railroads would be damaged and it would take at least that long to make enough repairs to begin bringing in aid.( this was for southern California)

That being said, touching upon what teotwaki was saying about the length of time before aid/rescue.
If there is no relief effort being made by the state or federal government after a month. There probably may not be any coming. I say this meaning a larger city or a large region. The modern business world just wouldn't allow something like that to occur. Neither would the rest of the population of the country. If after six months no aide has been attempted. There will not ever be any. If you've survived for six months on your own preps and no aide arrived. It's not going to matter if you salvage anything you can find in what little will remain cause your going to be one lonely guy. Most every one else will be dead.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

andrewza

Post by andrewza » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:12 am

flybynight wrote:You know I never understood why there was so much condemnation over the length of time relief/aid was given after Katrina. I have a old video (early 90's vhs) put out by LAFD about surviving a great quake. One of the things they listed as essential was food and water for each member of your family/group for two weeks.
The narrator of the video stated that after a great quake the infrastructure of roads, ports, airport runways and railroads would be damaged and it would take at least that long to make enough repairs to begin bringing in aid.( this was for southern California)

That being said, touching upon what teotwaki was saying about the length of time before aid/rescue.
If there is no relief effort being made by the state or federal government after a month. There probably may not be any coming. I say this meaning a larger city or a large region. The modern business world just wouldn't allow something like that to occur. Neither would the rest of the population of the country. If after six months no aide has been attempted. There will not ever be any. If you've survived for six months on your own preps and no aide arrived. It's not going to matter if you salvage anything you can find in what little will remain cause your going to be one lonely guy. Most every one else will be dead.

Because it was slow. This is not the correct thread for this discussion but i will mention that a Mozambique one of the poorest countries in the world respond faster to there 2000 floods. Both in requesting aid and helping people. All so the level of chaose was staggering. But yes it is best to have 1 months or more worth of supplies. Not sure what this has to do with malls though.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:59 am

andrewza wrote:
flybynight wrote:You know I never understood why there was so much condemnation over the length of time relief/aid was given after Katrina. ...SNIP ... Most every one else will be dead.
Because it was slow. This is not the correct thread for this discussion but i will mention that a Mozambique one of the poorest countries in the world respond faster to there 2000 floods. Both in requesting aid and helping people. All so the level of chaose was staggering. But yes it is best to have 1 months or more worth of supplies. Not sure what this has to do with malls though.

This is indeed not the correct thread for this discussion.

The topic of the thread is:

"Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!"

Thank you.

Benbrutal

Post by Benbrutal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:19 pm

I think "we'll just go be King of the Wal-mart when TSHTF" is one of the phases of prepping. Start "prepping" by buying guns and ammo, plan on being king....realize you are prepping to be a raider and stealing other people's stuff since you can't eat bullets (not more than once anyway)....start buying some food and putting together a BOB....realize you are prepping to be a refugee... start sensible preps, buying extra of what you eat, storing water, getting in shape. all the non-glamorous things you need to live instead of survive, look to your location and how defensible it is.....all part of growing up. Of course some of us have problems doing that :lol:
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:46 pm

raptor wrote:
andrewza wrote:
flybynight wrote:You know I never understood why there was so much condemnation over the length of time relief/aid was given after Katrina. ...SNIP ... Most every one else will be dead.

Thank you.
So where do you want this thread to go Raptor? We already have 52 pages of why it's a bad idea to bug out to big box store/food center. If the thread doesn't advance to tangential idea's then we're left with sick observations on how c ool it would be to fly a drone into the store to watch the bloodbath. If that's the case, shut it down and save for posterity one of the best threads on the site before it goes to the thread graveyard :clownshoes:

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:21 pm

flybynight wrote:
raptor wrote:
andrewza wrote:

Thank you.
So where do you want this thread to go Raptor? We already have 52 pages of why it's a bad idea to bug out to big box store/food center. If the thread doesn't advance to tangential idea's then we're left with sick observations on how c ool it would be to fly a drone into the store to watch the bloodbath. If that's the case, shut it down and save for posterity one of the best threads on the site before it goes to the thread graveyard :clownshoes:
The thread was shut down for a while because as you noted it is 52 pages long and takes literally about 4 hours to go through it. I reopened the thread for discussion but not tangential chat.

If you want to discuss the Katrina Response feel free to start a thread about the Katrina Response. If you want to discuss flying a drone in to a Walmart make sure it is legal to do so and then start a thread about it.

I would prefer not to lock this thread but is is an interesting and useful thread on the subject and will do so if required. It will not be buried however.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Free bump for a classic thread.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I was thinking about setting up camp in Kmart or Sears but they did not survive Reatailaggedon here. The big mall in the city is gone as well. We drove by it today and they had hauled off all the debris and hauled in around 1000 dump truck loads of dirt to build some nice condos, a park, lake and outdoor theater.
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Stercutus wrote:I was thinking about setting up camp in Kmart or Sears but they did not survive Reatailaggedon here. The big mall in the city is gone as well. We drove by it today and they had hauled off all the debris and hauled in around 1000 dump truck loads of dirt to build some nice condos, a park, lake and outdoor theater.
Sheesh where's the fun in that?

On another note I got to thinking that the perfect place to bug out would be.............. local bar. Now bear with me. When you think about it it has everything you need
Food

Drink

Weapons

fire starter

Shelter

Dummies to protect you BOL

It's kinda the win win of win wins :awesome:

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

Let's not forget the Winchester.
Shall be my brother

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”