Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
ZombieGranny
* * * * *
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:53 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.
Location: PNW

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:29 pm

They certainly are not stocking a great deal.
I have a tendency lately to empty a shelf, when I buy my groceries. The fringe at the front is filled, but if you take out one package it leaves a hole.

We've seen it many times before. This is very similar to the situation about 20 years ago. We've hit the low part of the cycle again.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Ellie With An Axe
* * * * *
Posts: 3982
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:05 pm

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:53 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:They certainly are not stocking a great deal.
That's so true. My favorite chocolate soy milk, they used to stock like 5 boxes of it. Now when I get to the store I have to cross my fingers that there are any at all. Now vanilla, it's always there. Nobody wants it and they can't give the stuff away. Vanilla soy milk is just wrong. Chocolate is where it's at.

User avatar
suntzu
* * * *
Posts: 933
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by suntzu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Horizon chocolate milk? Me likey.

exon111
* * *
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by exon111 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:32 am

suntzu wrote:Horizon chocolate milk? Me likey.
Mmm... +1

Duffman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 am
Location: Florence, AZ

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Duffman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 am

Y.T. wrote:also, what the fuck happened to the rest of the world this week? it's like the red blinking panic light went on.... only the rest of us never saw it.
I could list a couple reasons why store shelves may be emptying at a faster rate lately.......................... But I won't.
Image

User avatar
Lucretius
* * * * *
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff
Location: Ultima Thule

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Lucretius » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 am

Duffman wrote:
Y.T. wrote:also, what the fuck happened to the rest of the world this week? it's like the red blinking panic light went on.... only the rest of us never saw it.
I could list a couple reasons why store shelves may be emptying at a faster rate lately.......................... But I won't.
Uh, okay. That's helpful. :wink:
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Duffman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 am
Location: Florence, AZ

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Duffman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Lucretius wrote:
Duffman wrote:
Y.T. wrote:also, what the fuck happened to the rest of the world this week? it's like the red blinking panic light went on.... only the rest of us never saw it.
I could list a couple reasons why store shelves may be emptying at a faster rate lately.......................... But I won't.
Uh, okay. That's helpful. :wink:
Ah, hell. Ok.
Image
Some of you will understand.
Image

User avatar
TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 pm
Location: Australian Outback

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:49 pm

?

Because people are panicking and making pancakes? what?
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14417
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by dogbane » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 pm

MacAttack wrote:Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.
I don't know why. I think pancakes are a superior breakfast food. Waffles are okay, a tad mediocre but okay if you dress them up a little. I might have a pancake tomorrow.
Mostly not here anymore.

Duffman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:33 am
Location: Florence, AZ

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Duffman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:53 pm

MacAttack wrote:Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.
Swing and a miss. Try again.
Last edited by Duffman on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Yaivenov
* * * *
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:22 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Where do you even start?
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Yaivenov » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

dogbane wrote:
MacAttack wrote:Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.
I don't know why. I think pancakes are a superior breakfast food. Waffles are okay, a tad mediocre but okay if you dress them up a little. I might have a pancake tomorrow.
But waffles have syrup traps! And they are golden and crispy. The obviously superior breakfast food.
Idiocracy was a documentary.

Image

User avatar
Molon Labe
* * * * *
Posts: 5076
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:45 am
Location: Glendale, AZ

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Yaivenov wrote:
dogbane wrote:
MacAttack wrote:Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.
I don't know why. I think pancakes are a superior breakfast food. Waffles are okay, a tad mediocre but okay if you dress them up a little. I might have a pancake tomorrow.
But waffles have syrup traps! And they are golden and crispy. The obviously superior breakfast food.
Until IHOP makes a Harvest Grain & Nut waffle, pancakes are my choice in breakfast side dishes.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

User avatar
Lucretius
* * * * *
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff
Location: Ultima Thule

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Lucretius » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 am

Duffman wrote:
MacAttack wrote:Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.
Swing and a miss. Try again.
Are some kind of american holiday coming up?
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by MacAttack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:22 am

Duffman wrote:
MacAttack wrote:Its a not so complimentary term associated with out new Prez.
Swing and a miss. Try again.


Well this one will have to be explained to me.



I thought it was something like this.
http://obamawaffles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SkullGirl
* * *
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Trapped in the city

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by SkullGirl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:42 pm

I work at Costco, so I get first dibs on the place! LOL! This thread never fails to crack me up!
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

coyotebc
* * *
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: British Columbia

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by coyotebc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:34 pm

For the first time I started reading this thread today on page 11. I only read 10 pages or so. I couldn't believe it, myself I could not understand how he thought it would work.
Surely even if lord whatever could take everyones weapons away, it would only be a matter of time before someone stole tranquilizers out of the pharmacy and put it in their food.

That is not even goining into all the other failings that other people pointed out.

User avatar
Wolfe4086
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4703
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Series
Zombii Series
Cemetary Man
Zombieland
Location: High Tech Low Life
Contact:

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Wolfe4086 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:51 am

I got dibs on Toys R Us! Me and Gi Joe can fortify the place with Nerf Vulcans.
"The price of failure is to be paid for in blood" Sensei Yamashita - Tanaka Corporation School of Assassins

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14417
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by dogbane » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 am

Wolfe4086 wrote:I got dibs on Toys R Us! Me and Gi Joe can fortify the place with Nerf Vulcans.
Prison escapee hides in empty store adjacent to Toys-R-Us

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A prison escapee arrested in Charlotte this week lived for months in vacant electronics store, eating baby food stolen from an adjacent toy store and watching DVDs, police said.

Jeffrey Allen Manchester made his home in a 4-by-10-foot closet decorated with posters and model toys, played hoops with a mini-basketball net and watched "Spider-Man 2." He routed water from Toys "R" Us, police said, and even installed a smoke detector.
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
Saintkingdom
*
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:10 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: land of the dead, fido, undead, night of the comet, return of the living dead III, shaun of the dead, graveyard shift.
Location: Small town in the middle of nowhere.

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Saintkingdom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 pm

dogbane wrote:
Wolfe4086 wrote:I got dibs on Toys R Us! Me and Gi Joe can fortify the place with Nerf Vulcans.
Prison escapee hides in empty store adjacent to Toys-R-Us

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A prison escapee arrested in Charlotte this week lived for months in vacant electronics store, eating baby food stolen from an adjacent toy store and watching DVDs, police said.

Jeffrey Allen Manchester made his home in a 4-by-10-foot closet decorated with posters and model toys, played hoops with a mini-basketball net and watched "Spider-Man 2." He routed water from Toys "R" Us, police said, and even installed a smoke detector.
WTF!

Does that mean there is a vacancy?
"I'm right behind you."

User avatar
Lucretius
* * * * *
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff
Location: Ultima Thule

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Lucretius » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:14 am

I've a new plan!

I'll bug in for a few days, then go to Wal-Mart and live under the rule of LordRahl and Lord Stern.
I'll have a belly full of algae and all the bean bags I'd need... :mrgreen:

I bet submission to the mighty mall ninja is an option you haven't thought about! :D
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

User avatar
Shambhala
*
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Shambhala » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Duffman wrote:
Lucretius wrote:
Duffman wrote:
Y.T. wrote:also, what the fuck happened to the rest of the world this week? it's like the red blinking panic light went on.... only the rest of us never saw it.
I could list a couple reasons why store shelves may be emptying at a faster rate lately.......................... But I won't.
Uh, okay. That's helpful. :wink:
Ah, hell. Ok.
Image
Some of you will understand.
Obviously none of us did.
I promise to protect my brain with tinfoil.
Now ... out with it!
From 2 miles south of NORAD. Just a 'nuculear' flash from ground zero.

shumster441
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by shumster441 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm

OK??? First off I avoid Walmart at all cost zombie or no zomdies. Costco is only good for toilet paper and paper towels. Sams club is just like Walmart in bulk and it is a a no go. Oh wait Walmart has ammo sometimes. :mrgreen:

Tel0004
* *
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:54 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by Tel0004 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:17 pm

I hate to accidentally thow this thread back on topic, but I can imagine how fast food stores will be sold out in the event of a major disaster.

We are expecting 4 inches of snow, and people are panicing. I went to Kroger today, and people were stockpiling food. I would hate to imagine a major disaster.

In other news, I have a cousin who gave up on a diet a while ago, and they gave me all their food. They said its about 30 days worth! Its looks to be freeze dried, and since its designed for a diet its low calorie, but its better than nothing. Now I just need to add enough water to make all the food. I havent checked it out for nutrition data yet, or added up what I have, so I'll have to get around to that later.

In my defense, I even suggested they keep it in case of emergency and stockpile some water for it, and they looked at me like I was crazy, so I was more than happy to take it off their hands.

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”