Hail, Hail ice rocks

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Hail, Hail ice rocks

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am

Greeting fellow preparatory enthusiasts,

I received a letter warning me the hail season was starting in my region (mid Atlantic) and did I know that most people still pay out $1500 in deductions following a disaster.

To their credit, they didn’t try to sell me anything directly, but provided a link to an insurance planning tool.

What kind of hail damage have any of you experienced? Was it usually a solo event or combined with a tornado or other cataclysm?

How much were you out of pocket?

Thanks!
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Hail, Hail ice rocks

Post by raptor2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Hail storns in my area are mercifully rare. However, roof damage can be severe and result in the need for a new roof. A $1,500 deductible is not out of reason for such a claim.

If you do the math, a larger deductible for a rare event frequently makes sense financially because a lower premium. That said ask your agent for a price quote and see how long it takes to cover the deductible.

Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:45 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am
Greeting fellow preparatory enthusiasts,

I received a letter warning me the hail season was starting in my region (mid Atlantic) and did I know that most people still pay out $1500 in deductions following a disaster.

To their credit, they didn’t try to sell me anything directly, but provided a link to an insurance planning tool.

What kind of hail damage have any of you experienced? Was it usually a solo event or combined with a tornado or other cataclysm?

How much were you out of pocket?

Thanks!
Typically in VA we get less than dime-sized hail in pretty short bursts. A shingle roof in good repair should shrug that off with no real damage. On rare occasions though we'll get larger hail, up to quarter and half dollar sizes. Generally, those latter sizes will do more damage to windows when they hit sidewalks and driveways and shatter but they will still do substantial damage to shingles (and destroy metal roofing). Since that kind of hail is normally accompanied by tornadic activity and/or severe downbursts it likely won't be your only source of damage.

The topography of our area works against you a bit, tending to funnel some of the worst right through your county and into the district, but the worst of it gets dumped in Fauquier county and Prince William county, so it's tamed a little by the time it hits you.

That's on your house, your vehicle(s) will be a different story.

Even dime-sized hail can total a vehicle and you may not have coverage for such damage, or have a high deductible for it as a rider. If your car is parked in your driveway when it happens your homeowner's policy may cover it, but you can be out and about in your vehicle well away from home when you get hit, negating that coverage.

If I had to give odds on your chances of sustaining hail damage resulting in an insurance claim I say they were pretty low, lower than for a house fire, but they'll never be zero. How much coverage you want to pay for to handle that risk is a conversation you should have with your insurance agent. They will/should have accurate numbers on the number and severity of such claims in your area and be better able to guide you. I will add, however, as someone who worked in the building trades for most of his life and who used to own an auto repair shop, most shops and companies will work with you to cover the deductible or a goodly portion of it.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

CG

Post by CG » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:19 am

We live in west Texas. Hail damage probably happens every other year around here. Some of the storms spawn tornadoes, some don’t. Roofs are a 5-10 year thing, you plan to have to replace every 10 years due to hail damage, not every 25-30 when the roof wears out. A lot of cars got totaled last year, so used car prices went up as the supply was diminished.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:23 am

The largest hail I've had on my property was golf ball size. The largest I've witnessed was maybe half inch bigger. I've had light paint damage to vehicles and all our vehicles have some small denting. Nothing worth claiming to insurance co. Luckily so far we've had no damage to the house. And also luckily we have not had severe hail storms at our property although I've had dozens of warnings and the storm would decrease in severity right before hitting us. I think maybe five or six times the hail was part of a tornadic storm in the area. Still have not witnessed a tornado since we moved here in 2006. But there has been tornados that would have been within sight of our home , if I had been looking or they were rain wrapped. That said , there is ground level foundation in the yard from a building that my neighbor said was taken by a tornado right before he moved here in 1993. And one afternoon we had tornadic storms close by that blew down two trees in the yard . I at first thought it was straight line winds. And it still very well may have been . But a couple weeks later we noticed the barn door rail had been blown free of the barn and we found a tree trunk lodged between a small tree and the field fence that was much larger than any surrounding trees. So might have had a tornado skip over us or it was a very weak tornado. I know at the time I saw the trees bending almost double to the ground.
Through the years we have had lots of tree damage from thunderstorm winds, Ice storms and one lightning strike. Mostly blown down limbs ( or in the case of ice storm , snapped from the weight of the ice) and two whole trees blown down and one whole tree toppled from a ice storm.

Oh and I just remembered. We had a severe storm blow through that lifted the trampoline from it's moorings fifteen feet into the air and take out the overhead electrical wire to the barn. And the tree that got hit by lightning the branch that fell from the strike took out the same overhead wire and damaged the roof and facia of my shop. So about $500 damage out of pocket for both events.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:45 pm
Even dime-sized hail can total a vehicle and you may not have coverage for such damage, or have a high deductible for it as a rider. If your car is parked in your driveway when it happens your homeowner's policy may cover it, but you can be out and about in your vehicle well away from home when you get hit, negating that coverage
Ummm, no. If the owner does not have Comprehensive coverage on the auto in question, then is no coverage for the owner in this scenario. HO polices do not cover autos.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:59 am

Significant hail memories.

Basic Training Ft. Jackson, SC. The day after the drill sergeant had us march circles around his new truck the base was hit with softball sized hail. It shattered the windows to the barracks and we had to push wall lockers to cover the windows to keep it from coming in. An outbuilding collapsed from the weight of the ice (it was WWII vintage). The Drill's truck was annihilated. We did pushups.

Colorado Springs, CO. During a unit party it started to hail. Even though we were advised not to leave the wife and I left before it got bad. By the time we got to the truck there were two inches of ice on the ground. I had to put the truck in to 4WD (and painfully lock the hubs while getting pelted with baseball sized ice) before the truck would move. We crept home at 25 MPH for the first two miles. The storm was highly localized and there was nothing, not even rain two miles away. Most everyone who remained at the party had their vehicle heavily damaged, including destroyed windshields, shattered windows and heavy body damage. Part of the roof of the building collapsed but no one was injured. My truck, which was an 18-year-old beater Datsun at the time suffered a few pings but was mostly unscathed.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 am
NT2C wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:45 pm
Even dime-sized hail can total a vehicle and you may not have coverage for such damage, or have a high deductible for it as a rider. If your car is parked in your driveway when it happens your homeowner's policy may cover it, but you can be out and about in your vehicle well away from home when you get hit, negating that coverage
Ummm, no. If the owner does not have Comprehensive coverage on the auto in question, then is no coverage for the owner in this scenario. HO polices do not cover autos.
I think this varies by state.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:28 pm

We got clobbered (along with all our neighbors) by a storm last August. Just barely bought out the roof (class 4 IR), and the siding, along with gutters, both garage doors and a window to the tune of 37k. Truth be told, just about anywhere else, the siding wouldn't have been bought out, but Montana is a matching state, so the handful of tiny dings on the back of the house necessitate replacing all of the siding, since they can't match the old siding. I probably would have just daubed a bit of silicone over the dings, but since I was already making a claim for the roof, I figured I'd take the opportunity to get rid of all the masonite and upgrade to Hardie Board.

http://imgur.com/gallery/YnbS5zT

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 pm

2 years ago here in Mo we were hit hard during a heavy snow/hail storm that damaged our siding all the way around our house as well as the roof and fence. All told it was 22k total to replace everything, with 1k deductible. The nice part was it improved my house's look so much that I was able to sell it and make a 25k profit...

CG

Post by CG » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Storm tonight missed us. They were talking about half-dollar sized hail and 60 mph winds.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue May 12, 2020 1:33 am

I'm betting the storm that hit Confucious last August was the same one that totaled my parents SUV. They rolled into my Grandma's the day before I did for a family reunion. My Dad unloads the car, goes back out for one last check to make sure he didn't forget anything, walks up onto the patio and turns back to glance at the car just in time to see a dent appear in it like someone hit it with a baseball bat. Moments later golf ball size hail is pouring down and pounding dents all over it. Miraculously none of the glass broke. Car was fine to drive but the insurance totaled it out. I was tempted to buy it. It looked pretty cool.

I was real glad I didn't get into town the same day.

My Grandma also got a new roof from her insurance company. I inspected it and found nothing wrong other than a small dent on a vent cover. I suspect the contractor the insurance company paid to inspect it just liked her better than the insurance company. They also replaced the fence that was clearly in need of repair long before the storm.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 am

Ping pong to little larger than golf ball last night. Spent nearly the entire time stuck in my metal barn after running out of the house to get a vehicle into the barn before it was damaged, There were animals lying all over the yard ( mostly birds)when I was able to get back to the house. But they must have been just stunned ( or we have more predators than we thought) cause there is none this morning. When it started I ran out of the house in such a hurry I forgot my phone so didn't get any pics or vid. Frankly didn't even think of the phone til I was standing in the barn listening to the hail hammer down on it. Just grabbed a thick coat and hard hat running out.
So far the damage found has been light. Branches, and leaves stripped from trees and the basement window cover was destroyed and in pieces. Roof looks ok and no siding appears to be damaged. . Even the vehicle escaped serious damage Which was surprising since how loud the hail striking it sounded as I was getting it to the barn.

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue May 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Excellence point.

Given the ongoing wreaking of the geomagnetic filed, we can look forward to more hail, much bigger hailstones and the vilence of the storms will increase goin on in time.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed May 27, 2020 7:13 pm

When the sky is falling

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzkpk5it ... e=youtu.be[/YouTube]

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 27, 2020 7:58 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:13 pm
When the sky is falling

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzkpk5it ... e=youtu.be[/YouTube]
That was a shitty day to be out.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”