Half of millennials and 75% of Gen Zers have left their job for mental health reasons

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Half of millennials and 75% of Gen Zers have left their job for mental health reasons

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:34 pm

If this is how pervasive mental illness is before the PAW, what's it going to look like afterwards? Although some psychologists maintain that danger is the most effective antidote to depression.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/11/mental- ... lainternal

Cases of burnout have been increasing at an alarming rate in recent years among millennials and Gen Zers. It’s a growing problem in today’s workplace because of trends like rising workloads, limited staff and resources and long hours.

It’s no surprise, then, that a recent study by Mind Share Partners, Qualtrics and SAP reveals that half of millennials and 75% of Gen Zers have left a job for mental health reasons.

The study, which looked at mental-health challenges and stigmas in the U.S. workplace, polled 1,500 respondents ages 16 and older working full-time. Another recent study, by the American Psychological Association, found the percentage of young adults experiencing certain types of mental health disorders has increased significantly in the past decade. In particular, the percentage of people dealing with suicidal thoughts increased 47 percent from 2008 to 2017.

Stercutus

Re: Half of millennials and 75% of Gen Zers have left their job for mental health reasons

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Twenge said the general pattern is that teens and young adults are spending less time face-to-face with others and more time on their screens. “The pattern lines up very precisely that the majority of Americans owned a smartphone from the beginning of 2012 to 2013,” she said. She noted that at that time, mental health issues began to spike.
Well call me provincial but you know what else it lines up with? Drug use.

Nah, couldn't be.

:roll:
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Half of millennials and 75% of Gen Zers have left their job for mental health reasons

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Leaving your job for mental health reasons does not equal mental illness. I know more than a few people who have left their job in order to maintain good mental health.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Leaving a job or firing a client for mental health reasons most certainly does not mean the employee departing is mentally ill.
In fact it is likely just the opposite.
They are being driven "crazy" by the situation, recognize the negative consequences and make a rational decision to leave.
That is the very definition of sanity in my book.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:42 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm
Leaving your job for mental health reasons does not equal mental illness. I know more than a few people who have left their job in order to maintain good mental health.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

I have spent my entire working life since age 19 working high stress jobs. I have seen plenty of people come and go of their own volition of the years. It is for the best. Worst case scenario they don't quit and become suicidal instead, to the point of going through with it. I've seen it go that way as well. Not everyone is built the same. Different people have different strengths and weaknesses.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Agreed with the above.

It's the "definition game". Mental health does not equate to mental illness. And mental illness and mental health are very broad terms nowadays.

Leaving a job because it sucks and I hate it would be mental health.

Leaving a job because I was moving or got promoted or finished school would not.

So basically, any shitty job would be in that category.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

CG

Post by CG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:23 am

NT2C wrote:
I'm pretty certain that my job that I left because of my "attitude" would count under this one.

By the way, if you expect your office manager to watch your holy terror of a 2-year-old, you should expect them to have some attitude.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 pm

CG wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:23 am

By the way, if you expect your office manager to watch your holy terror of a 2-year-old.
IMO Unless it is a dire & unusual emergency, being asked to do that is legitimate grounds to say "F this! I am so out of here" and quit without 2 weeks notice.

CG

Post by CG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:44 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 pm
CG wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:23 am

By the way, if you expect your office manager to watch your holy terror of a 2-year-old.
IMO Unless it is a dire & unusual emergency, being asked to do that is legitimate grounds to say "F this! I am so out of here" and quit without 2 weeks notice.
Well, to be fair, it was dire and unusual for that boss to be responsible, so that might count under that.

When he called to complain about my attitude, I told him the keys would be on my desk and walked out.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 pm

I nearly quit my current employer because it was too stressful (more the coworkers and boss than workload), but got transferred to a more amenable department.

Then transferred back. :roll:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:48 pm

I have had some really hard jobs, but grad school is what gave me several mental health problem which I first self-medicated, then got professional treatment for. It was the roughest spot in my life. A lot happened, and school kicked my butt. I was in a pretty serious program.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:27 pm

NT2C wrote:
I also think it is considered much more of a valid reason to leave a job than it was.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”