What is your opinion on prepping?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

What is your opinion on prepping?

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 pm

"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Stercutus

Re: What is your opinion on prepping?

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Wait a minute...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123202

But so far as the politics described and the situation it seems to be quite the opposite for me.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:51 pm
Wait a minute...

But so far as the politics described and the situation it seems to be quite the opposite for me.
Something... something... lies, damned lies, and statistics...
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:51 pm
Wait a minute...

Something... something... lies, damned lies, and statistics...
That's certainly part of it, due to reasons best left unmentioned. But I suspect differing version of "fear" may also be at play, media or common use versus an academic use.

Most people use "fear" in an--for lack of a better word--active sense. Like if you're an acrophobe, being afraid of a plane flight is a very active thing. Or any sane person's reaction to a rattlesnake.

Academically, I suspect the word is being used in a more abstract sense. We "fear" things ranging from breaking down in inconvenient, though events like hurricanes and floods, up to active social unrest (whether related to the events or not). But it's not a heart rate boosting, adrenaline dumping, daily kind of fear; rather it's a lower-level, generalized anxiety about not being able to react adequately to a situation.

I'd say it's kinda like when you see a scientific report about a lab teleporting helium, and newspapers saying we're on the verge of Star Trek-style transporters. Same word, different nuanced meanings.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:23 pm

I think it is difficult to respond to the question of this post based on the article without getting into politics, which is verboten on ZS.

That being said, I will say that I think the article definitely seems skewed in ways to paint preppers as extremists whatever their political affiliation. I mean, "he said as he was milking his goat"? Come on! That's like the classic trope of news reporters after a disaster interviewing the strangest people they can find.

Additionally, an interview of 39 people is not a very academically rigorous study to base even a correlation between political affliliation and prepping, let alone causality. Finally, I know from personal experience people from all walks of life like to be prepared or be more self-sufficient. I mean, where do you even draw the line between deciding if someone is a prepper or not? It's kind of a self-identified term that could range, depending on the person, from someone who has decent first aid, tools, and emergency food stores to someone who is living completely off-grid.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:29 am

Why would a British criminologist research prepping in the USA ? Whole article from first sentence reeks of political profiling
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:58 pm

My thoughts on prepping: One should always do it.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 pm

So in recent weeks , at least a couple members have posted links to British stories portraying people who prep if not in a negative way, at least not too flattering. I wonder if the stories and sudden interest in prepping in America are part of a agenda to pacify fears in Britain over the eminent Brexit . :?: 8-)
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 pm
So in recent weeks , at least a couple members have posted links to British stories portraying people who prep if not in a negative way, at least not too flattering. I wonder if the stories and sudden interest in prepping in America are part of a agenda to pacify fears in Britain over the eminent Brexit . :?: 8-)
I was trying to figure out a non-political way of saying this. I could not.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Preppers and prepping has always been looked at by the mainstream media with a jaundiced view. They tend to focus on the negative aspects and extreme positions.
They have to sell clicks/papers/magazines since their writing skills and insight rarely can attract enough attention to pay the bills.

My opinion on prepping?
I always suggest:
Sit down assess your risks/fears and then assign a probability of occurrence/severity score.
A high probability & high severity score should be addressed ASAP.
A low probability & low severity score needs to come last.

Then rank these items in descending order and assess what you need to do to mitigate as much of the severity of the impact as possible.
HINT:

1. Insurance coverage for the risk is frequently a good way to mitigate the severity of many risks.
2. Many risks can be addressed with the same basic preparations.
3. Five days of food & water (minimum), FAK, alternate lighting source and an evacuation plan will also address many risks.
4. As long as you are spending your own money and you can afford to spend those funds then it is none of anyone else's business what you do.
5. Finally repeat after me when asked by a 3rd party about your preps..."I do not know what you are talking about?"

As for what the media thinks about such things ... as far as I am concerned ... They are in in charge of sex and music...When I want their F'ing opinion; I will whistle.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm not a prepper. I don't answer to it. I don't use the word. (Exception: when typing that sentence)
The idea of being prepared is what I was responding to...as I prepare to head out.

Prepper: it's just a word that you can use and weight as you see fit. Everyone, everywhere is suddenly fascinated with controlling the meaning of words. Use this word now, but not that one...well...sometimes you can if its sung but not if it also involves size, or age. It fascinates me, and it often makes me laugh. So, you like to boil greens and then add a pinch of black pepper and cumin? You must be a Foodie. Have you collected small pocketknives all of your life? Blade extremist. Traditional names like husband and wife are being replaced with the new cowboy talk so fast it's somewhat hard to believe. When you get home tonight make sure you kiss your wife and say, "Howdy pardna."
Henry David Thoreau

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 am

If you don't your at risk.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:08 pm

I just haven't seen any die- down of prepping activities. It's at least a semi certain method in uncertain times. I still see the same names here and a few are added every so often. I think the world.is becoming more fearful of the times.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 pm

I am highly suspect of the researcher's sample. I also suspect that there is a closer tie between prepping and the economy than prepping and who is in political office.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:29 am

Damn the labels; however, I am changing my story. I am a prepper.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”