Coffee not essential for life, Swiss government says

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Coffee not essential for life, Swiss government says

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 am

The fools! :gonk:
The Swiss government wants to put an end to its emergency stockpile of coffee after declaring that it is "not essential" for human survival.

Switzerland began storing emergency reserves of coffee between World War One and World War Two in preparation for potential shortages.

It continued in subsequent decades to combat shortages sparked by war, natural disasters or epidemics.

It now hopes to end the practice by late 2022. But opposition is mounting.

It currently has 15,300 tonnes saved up - that's enough to last the country three months.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47898537
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Re: Coffee not essential for life, Swiss government says

Post by flybynight » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 am

Those wacky Swiss It's not survival, It's living
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 am

Those Swiss government officials will belatedly reconsider the definition of "essential for survival" when pitchfork-wielding, caffeine-deprived mobs storm their offices during the next major disaster.

Their fateful last words: "Let them drink tea."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:48 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:39 am
Those Swiss government officials will belatedly reconsider the definition of "essential for survival" when pitchfork-wielding, caffeine-deprived mobs storm their offices during the next major disaster.

Their fateful last words: "Let them drink tea."
Tea can often have even more caffeine than coffee, especially more than dark roasted coffee.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 am

of note
  • The Swiss gubt. has been stockpiling coffee since WWI. How long does stored coffee last? they're using the coffee mummification process apparently.
  • The average Swiss person uses 20lbs of coffee a year.
Calculator time.

I'm no longer a heavy coffee drinker, since my Coffeeholism and the PAW post I've reduced the consumed qty. 1-3 cups a day now.

I'm going to say 24oz of beans used a month. [ 2) 12 oz bags, not necessarily consumed, some goes down the drain.]

24X12=288
288/16=18

Plus another cup or two at the office.

Well that's pretty close to 20lbs.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 am
of note
  • The Swiss gubt. has been stockpiling coffee since WWI. How long does stored coffee last? they're using the coffee mummification process apparently.
  • The average Swiss person uses 20lbs of coffee a year.
One assumes that they have been rotating stocks, but even if they have not and the coffee has been ground and packaged in vacuum sealed cans (like the big, square cans we used to get in the Navy), so long as it's stored in a climate controlled area I could see it lasting 100 years.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 am

1. I prep coffee, a lot beans and Keurig cups.

2. Besides bringing up into my consciousness the nightmare of not having my favorite coffee, I also found the news item startling for how Europe has now gotten back into prepping:

Western Europe hasn’t seen a major war on its soil since the end of World War II and until recently there was no sign that this would change anytime soon. But Russia’s annexation of Crimea in 2014 has put Europe on high alert, just as concerns have been on the rise over an escalation of tensions between North Korea and the United States.

Both conflicts do not appear to pose imminent threats to western Europe at this point, but they’ve still had an impact on European governments, which is most obvious when it comes to the stockpiling of goods across the continent.

Being outside of the military alliance NATO — just like Switzerland — the government of Sweden recently distributed a 20-page leaflet that urges citizens to stockpile food and drinks themselves. The recommendations, which also feature motivational slogans (“If Sweden is attacked by another country, we will never give up”), are a continuation of a Cold War-era strategy that relies on all citizens resisting an invasion even once their military may already have been defeated.“

That is really something to think about.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am

There are 2 non-negotiable prep items for me. Coffee and canned condensed milk for my coffee.

The Swiss obviously want to save money. It is their money and thier choice. That said it would be interesting to see a shelter full of people on day 2when there is no coffee.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am

That coffee was for Gov't employees to drink on the job...eh?

I would think coffee drinkers would stockpile their own. I keep a fair amount of Freeze dried on hand. You know, just in case.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:02 am

Powdered diet Mountain Dew? The canned or bottled stuff goes bad. How long does the syrup last?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

Something some of our Swedish friends have mentioned is Sweden is more concerned with domestic terrorism than with invasion by Russia. So yes, non-NATO countries are preparing, but Russia is just one of the threats. However, for political reasons, it seems the Swedish government is not pointing explicitly at their domestic issues. On the other hand, the Swedish members here have been very clear where the real concern is. And reading some news on Swedish issues, I can clearly see that concern too.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 am
^^ I'm with this one.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:21 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am
There are 2 non-negotiable prep items for me. Coffee and canned condensed milk for my coffee.

The Swiss obviously want to save money. It is their money and thier choice. That said it would be interesting to see a shelter full of people on day 2when there is no coffee.
I can imagine what it will be like....

An inhabitant walks sleeply over to the coffee machine and tries to turn it on. Realizing there is still no coffee she becomes angry again. A caffeine headache returns. She sits down hoping that the dizziness will go away and then falls back asleep. Meanwhile the guard on duty at the shelter entrance is awoken by a loud bang. Suddenly a horde of Italian refugees (having walked in past a complicated array of unmanned static border defenses), wired on Espresso storm in and seize control of the shelter. Switzerland falls without a shot fired to the Italians.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:21 pm
raptor wrote:

An inhabitant walks sleeply over to the coffee machine and tries to turn it on. Realizing there is still no coffee she becomes angry again. A caffeine headache returns. She sits down hoping that the dizziness will go away and then falls back asleep. Meanwhile the guard on duty at the shelter entrance is awoken by a loud bang. Suddenly a horde of Italian refugees (having walked in past a complicated array of unmanned static border defenses), wired on Espresso storm in and seize control of the shelter. Switzerland falls without a shot fired to the Italians.
#swisscoffeereservesmatter
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:03 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 am

INDEED !!! :vmad:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:

Until the Italians find out there is no espresso. They will then leave.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:18 pm
Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:

With a short stop in Switzerland for some chocolates to take home for the wife.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:

Hey! What do the Swiss say about chocolate being essential to survival?!?!?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm

NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:

All of yall owe me a new keyboard! I spit out my coffee laughing at this string. :clap:

...Thus Switzerland fell and was abandoned because of the obvious...there is nothing in Switzerland worth to the trouble to invade except the chocolate ...if there is no coffee then even the chocolate is not worth the trouble.

Maybe that what they have in mind...invaders will say: "What no coffee! F that place! Lets go someplace else!"

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:55 pm

NT2C wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:

n inhabitant walks sleeply over to the coffee machine and tries to turn it on. Realizing there is still no coffee she becomes angry again. A caffeine headache returns. She sits down hoping that the dizziness will go away and then falls back asleep. Meanwhile the guard on duty at the shelter entrance is awoken by a loud bang. Suddenly a horde of Italian refugees (having walked in past a complicated array of unmanned static border defenses), wired on Espresso storm in and seize control of the shelter . Switzerland falls without a shot fired to the Italians.
Yea well . No doubt this crisis has bee averted ,now that the survival authorities of ZOMBIESQUAD have weighed in on this ill conceived idea floated by some un named c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e̶ bean counter in mid-level accounting. The Swiss were no doubt anxiously awaiting our Opinion and have even as we speak , breathing a sigh of relief while exclaiming amoung themselves. What were we thinking to even countenance such a foolish idea. 8-)
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”