Deployment to the southern border

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Deployment to the southern border

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 pm

No, not me, my wife.

As you all know, she's a fed, a senior officer with USCIS. She's been stationed at HQ for the last 6-7 years working FDNS in the Field Operations Directorate and now is being shifted back to Operations. There's been multiple requests over the last year for experienced asylum officers (she's a former adjudication officer) to TDY to the southern border to work on reducing the backlog. So far it's been entirely voluntary. That may change in the future with the way the system is being stressed to the breaking point. If that happens then she'll probably have to go as a supervisor. Ideally, she'd drive our Jeep from here in VA and I'd have it loaded up with gear & arms to enhance her safety if shit gets too real and she has to bugout or shelter in place outside of work (can't do anything about the fact she's not a LEO and can't carry at work) but, in all likelihood driving there wouldn't be an option anyway. If they want her to go they'll want here there yesterday, not 5 days from then, which means she'd have to fly.

Given that restriction, and that she'd not want to transport a firearm in her checked bag on the government's dime, I'm considering what preps to pack for her to take along. I'm open to suggestions folks. If it's too much for her to take in her luggage (she does have to take work clothes after all) I'd consider sending it Priority mail to her hotel or held for pickup at the local PO but would prefer that it go with her.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Re: Deployment to the southern border

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:31 am

Well, you could always drive the jeep down unless your moderator duties at ZS keep you too busy.

Later in my mil career when the kids were old enough to understand their environment the wife would go with me on longer and better TDY trips. She loves to travel so it was just another adventure living in a new city for six months or whatever. For what the government was paying for lodging I could often get a decent apartment with utilities paid for less than the lodging rates. With per diem there was plenty left over to take care of expenses.

While most guys were bitching about not having their family around (or not) it was not an issue for us.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:28 am

An additional idea, which I don't think you are interested in, is to deploy now and do so on your own terms. This, IMO, only makes sense if you are fairly certain the deployment will happen anyway. I believe this would be analogous to joining a military branch (somewhat) on your own terms rather than being drafted and brought in on their terms.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 am

Since the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a component of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) - i would think she would have armed security.

What is possible is also dependent on location - the Tucson sector, for example, is entirely different than SoCal.

In Aaz or Tx, a private purchase of arms is still possible, and perfectly legal, if you ask around. Perhaps that - and a decent rental, could be part of the answer you are looking for today.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:31 am
Well, you could always drive the jeep down unless your moderator duties at ZS keep you too busy.

Later in my mil career when the kids were old enough to understand their environment the wife would go with me on longer and better TDY trips. She loves to travel so it was just another adventure living in a new city for six months or whatever. For what the government was paying for lodging I could often get a decent apartment with utilities paid for less than the lodging rates. With per diem there was plenty left over to take care of expenses.

While most guys were bitching about not having their family around (or not) it was not an issue for us.
This is an interesting idea that we hadn't considered and I brought it up with my wife just now. She quickly pointed out two small holes in it. A) we really can't afford the expense of me driving it there and B) we'd have to arrange for someone to care for our cats and then figure out a way to get me back home (I can't fly).

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 am

TacAir wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 am
Since the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is a component of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) - i would think she would have armed security.

What is possible is also dependent on location - the Tucson sector, for example, is entirely different than SoCal.

In Aaz or Tx, a private purchase of arms is still possible, and perfectly legal, if you ask around. Perhaps that - and a decent rental, could be part of the answer you are looking for today.
They do indeed have armed security, of the $15hr rental type. I have little confidence in them. Perhaps it would be different on the border, I would hope so, but in DC it's barely a step above "mall cop" grade.

As you say, the location would make a big difference. Currently, they're looking for officers in Texas, but that may change.

Private purchase would be an option and a rental is already planned for.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:28 am
An additional idea, which I don't think you are interested in, is to deploy now and do so on your own terms. This, IMO, only makes sense if you are fairly certain the deployment will happen anyway. I believe this would be analogous to joining a military branch (somewhat) on your own terms rather than being drafted and brought in on their terms.
Yes and no. Right now they're looking for officers in Texas (various parts of the state) and that's the only option. Which office she got assigned to would depend on need, and might well change a few times during her month or two deployment.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:40 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 pm
No, not me, my wife.

As you all know, she's a fed, a senior officer with USCIS. She's been stationed at HQ for the last 6-7 years working FDNS in the Field Operations Directorate and now is being shifted back to Operations. There's been multiple requests over the last year for experienced asylum officers (she's a former adjudication officer) to TDY to the southern border to work on reducing the backlog. So far it's been entirely voluntary. That may change in the future with the way the system is being stressed to the breaking point. If that happens then she'll probably have to go as a supervisor. Ideally, she'd drive our Jeep from here in VA and I'd have it loaded up with gear & arms to enhance her safety if shit gets too real and she has to bugout or shelter in place outside of work (can't do anything about the fact she's not a LEO and can't carry at work) but, in all likelihood driving there wouldn't be an option anyway. If they want her to go they'll want here there yesterday, not 5 days from then, which means she'd have to fly.

Given that restriction, and that she'd not want to transport a firearm in her checked bag on the government's dime, I'm considering what preps to pack for her to take along. I'm open to suggestions folks. If it's too much for her to take in her luggage (she does have to take work clothes after all) I'd consider sending it Priority mail to her hotel or held for pickup at the local PO but would prefer that it go with her.
Where will she be staying? If it's private or commercial quarters say an apt or hotel room. Is there regs that say she can't have a firearm there? IIRC you can send a firearm to yourself. As long as it's legal on both ends. I'd think most border states (besides cali) would have fairly lenient gun laws.

And can you check my notifications? There not working again. I made a post last night. Got 4 replies. And no notifications. Thank you very much. And for all you do around here.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:07 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:40 pm
Where will she be staying? If it's private or commercial quarters say an apt or hotel room. Is there regs that say she can't have a firearm there? IIRC you can send a firearm to yourself. As long as it's legal on both ends. I'd think most border states (besides cali) would have fairly lenient gun laws.

And can you check my notifications? There not working again. I made a post last night. Got 4 replies. And no notifications. Thank you very much. And for all you do around here.
She'd be staying at a hotel and no, there should be no problems with her having a firearm there. Still no real idea what port area she'd be assigned to.

And yes, I'll check your notifications (if I can). I don't mind helping out around this place. I ran my own forum using the same software for 13 years, so I'm familiar with how it works. My biggest problem here has been getting my mindset changed over from being the guy at the top of the ladder to being a guy a bit lower on the ladder, and with very different rules, both written and unwritten. (Those damn unwritten ones keep biting me in the ass.) I'm also a bit of a stickler for rules and regs because I have to be in my personal life (things I do or don't do can cost me licenses and permits I hold, or affect my wife's employment) and I tend to be the same way on here, which I know has earned me a lot of animosity from some members. That's okay with me because a mod that everyone loves all the time may not be doing such a great job. Still, I think I'm getting better at being a ZS mod and it's nice to know my efforts are appreciated in some way.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:51 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:07 pm
moab wrote:

She'd be staying at a hotel and no, there should be no problems with her having a firearm there. Still no real idea what port area she'd be assigned to.

And yes, I'll check your notifications (if I can). I don't mind helping out around this place. I ran my own forum using the same software for 13 years, so I'm familiar with how it works. My biggest problem here has been getting my mindset changed over from being the guy at the top of the ladder to being a guy a bit lower on the ladder, and with very different rules, both written and unwritten. (Those damn unwritten ones keep biting me in the ass.) I'm also a bit of a stickler for rules and regs because I have to be in my personal life (things I do or don't do can cost me licenses and permits I hold, or affect my wife's employment) and I tend to be the same way on here, which I know has earned me a lot of animosity from some members. That's okay with me because a mod that everyone loves all the time may not be doing such a great job. Still, I think I'm getting better at being a ZS mod and it's nice to know my efforts are appreciated in some way.
Are you the only one left? Or the only one I see because of the sections I hang out in. I haven't seen another mod in some time.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:03 pm

NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

Ive been here over a year and I think youre the only mod ive seen around here. You seem like a pretty likeable old timer, not sure why the rules are that hard to understand. Maybe color crayon diagrams would help?

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Is there anyone on this forum that could help out?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:50 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:51 pm
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

Are you the only one left? Or the only one I see because of the sections I hang out in. I haven't seen another mod in some time.
Nah, there's 17 global mods listed memberlist.php?mode=group&g=240

I'm just probably the most active one these days since the others have jobs and families and I'm just a retired old fart.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:57 pm

JF89 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:03 pm
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

Ive been here over a year and I think youre the only mod ive seen around here. You seem like a pretty likeable old timer, not sure why the rules are that hard to understand. Maybe color crayon diagrams would help?
I've been accused (and not unjustly) of being somewhat overzealous at times, so it's not all on the rule breakers. Lately, though I've tried being a little less rigid in how I enforce things, more of a velvet hammer style instead of Gallagher's Sledge-O-Matic

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:57 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:57 pm
JF89 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:03 pm
NT2C wrote:
moab wrote:

I've been accused (and not unjustly) of being somewhat overzealous at times, so it's not all on the rule breakers. Lately, though I've tried being a little less rigid in how I enforce things, more of a velvet hammer style instead of Gallagher's Sledge-O-Matic
Good God, now my head hurts from imagining you in velvet jack boots. Some things can't be unseen ( even in ones mind ) :crazy:

I've never flown with firearms but bringing a pistol ( or two ) via checked luggage seems the easiest route here. Any other preps could be bought locally.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Checking A pistol through in a checked bag is no big deal.
What I do is not check through any ammo with the pistol and use a flexible gun lock that goes through the barrel to make it immediately clear the fire arm is empty had well secured. Then lock it in the safe.A TSA approved gun safe is not costly ~$50. Then I buy ammo when iget there. BTW you can legally ship ammo to yourself.

The only really important thing to do is declare at check in. Be sure to say you are checking through an unloaded fire arm without ammunition. IMO the without ammo part puts them at ease.

The biggest issue is what to do with it if she is at work and she cannot have it there.

If you are worried about the .Gov ticket, simply buy a one way ticket on your w dime and get reimbursed.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Looking at the Virginia CCL reciprocity laws you will be good to go in all border states. Except for California of course . What a surprise there huh? Actually any of the left coast California, Caliregon and Washifornia
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:02 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 pm
Checking A pistol through in a checked bag is no big deal.
What I do is not check through any ammo with the pistol and use a flexible gun lock that goes through the barrel to make it immediately clear the fire arm is empty had well secured. Then lock it in the safe.A TSA approved gun safe is not costly ~$50. Then I buy ammo when iget there. BTW you can legally ship ammo to yourself.

The only really important thing to do is declare at check in. Be sure to say you are checking through an unloaded fire arm without ammunition. IMO the without ammo part puts them at ease.

The biggest issue is what to do with it if she is at work and she cannot hav it there.

If you are worried about the .Gov ticket, simply buy a one way ticket on your w dime and get reimbursed.
You touch on both concerns I have for her flying with a firearm. We've flown before with firearms and know the drill and have the hardcases for it. Where it gets dicey is in her being a federal officer. By regulations, she has to inform the airline, even if flying on our dime, that she's a federal officer. The next question is always about her firearm (the assumption being that she's an armed federal officer, which she is not). If she states that she is transporting a firearm, even though it's personal and not a duty weapon, things start getting confusing for the check-in person. They have one protocol that gets followed for officers who must fly armed (actually carrying) and a different one for the general public with a firearm in checked baggage. Our concern is in how sideways it could go during check-in and it somehow getting back to her agency that she tried to pass herself off as something she's not. We want to avoid that at all costs and the simplest way seems to be to just not send her with a weapon. There is also the issue of what to do with a weapon while she's at work if she were to get one locally or if I sent her one of ours. Most good hotels (such as the ones her agency approves of) have room safes that could be used for this purpose. Unfortunately, they're usually bolted to the floor of the room and with two artificial knees she's uncertain she could get down there and back up again.

So, for all the reasons discussed I think, much as I dislike it, a firearm isn't in the cards for this and she'll have to rely on others to protect her. That being said, my concern then becomes focused on what sort of things we should have in a small bugout kit for her. An IFAK is going with her, as is a Lifestraw and perhaps some food items to last a day or two. I'm drawing a blank on what else to send with her. She always has a small flashlight in her purse as well as a small Leatherman tool without a cutting blade. I'll probably insist she take her small Buck knife in her checked bag... what else?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:46 pm
Looking at the Virginia CCL reciprocity laws you will be good to go in all border states. Except for California of course . What a surprise there huh? Actually any of the left coast California, Caliregon and Washifornia
I would, she wouldn't be. I'm licensed for CC, she isn't.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Sounds like she should buy a decent pepper spray when she gets there. Pepper spray is not great, but it beats nothing at all.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:42 pm
Sounds like she should buy a decent pepper spray when she gets there. Pepper spray is not great, but it beats nothing at all.
Not a bad idea. I don't think she'd be allowed to have it at work but for outside of work it would be good.

CG

Post by CG » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:23 pm

jor-el wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:42 pm
That, of course, would depend on where she lands.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:09 pm

CG wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:23 pm
jor-el wrote:
That, of course, would depend on where she lands.
I believe that was a question about moderating. I could be wrong though.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:10 pm

jor-el wrote:
For now Raptor and I can handle the day-to-day stuff, with an occasional check-in from the_alias and a couple others.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”