I'm moving to Alaska.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

I'm moving to Alaska.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:50 am

Well... This is it. I'm finally headed to the great white North.

I've been planning for a while and I'm gonna update this with all the crazy useless info I've gathered along the way.

Stay tuned... Or don't. But I feel like my journey will be a shit show.

I'm gonna post a bunch to help myself organize all this in my head. Thanks for the free therapy hahaha
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

TacAir

Re: I'm moving to Alaska.

Post by TacAir » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 am

Moving to where in AK?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:11 am

South east? Central? North? Aleutian? Bering? Inquiring minds want to know! I love the state of Alaska, I’m never disappointed when I go through.

If you are ever in Seattle area hit me up, first beer is on me!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 am

good luck with the move JC, I know nothing about Alaska apart from what I have seen on shows on travel channel.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 am

I J. C. Being of sound mind and broke legs do hereby leave my ________ (fill in the blank) rifle to whomever finds me. It kilt the bar that kilt me.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 am
I J. C. Being of sound mind and broke legs do hereby leave my ________ (fill in the blank) rifle to whomever finds me. It kilt the bar that kilt me.
A gen-uuu-wine Hawkins rafle...
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Great to hear! It will be fun reading about your adventures :clap:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Ok, so here's the jist:

Where: Anchorage area

When: Mid-january-ish

Why: Good job offer at a hospital in Anchorage

How: Driving my 2001 XJ from Pittsburgh, PA to Seattle/Tacoma, WA, put the Jeep on a freighter and fly to anchorage. Still trying to figure out logistics with firearms and ammo or if I just wanna wing it and go through Canada.

So half, there's a good chance I will want that beer in WA or I may even rent your couch hahahaha

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm
Ok, so here's the jist:

How: Driving my 2001 XJ from Pittsburgh, PA to Seattle/Tacoma, WA, put the Jeep on a freighter and fly to anchorage. Still trying to figure out logistics with firearms and ammo or if I just wanna wing it and go through Canada.

So half, there's a good chance I will want that beer in WA or I may even rent your couch hahahaha
Hit me up, I'm not sure where I'll be living at then (might be moving to the property) but if you need let me know. Also send me a message if you have questions about transporting firearms/ammo. Not sure how much you're looking at transporting but I can let you know what you can an cannot bring.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm
Ok, so here's the jist:

Hit me up, I'm not sure where I'll be living at then (might be moving to the property) but if you need let me know. Also send me a message if you have questions about transporting firearms/ammo. Not sure how much you're looking at transporting but I can let you know what you can an cannot bring.
Yeah the rules on firearms/ammo is tough because it's half law and half company policy. It seems that no shipping company allows firearms and ammo unless it's the ferry (only runs in summer), and I'm limited in driving through Canada. So luckily my inlaws will allow me to put a safe in their basement for my goodies and Ill just bring 2 pistols and 2 rifles...

...it's tough limiting all my babies.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:42 am

You flying?

Bring 'em up as air cargo. No big. Cost varies by airline.

Thee is a limit on ammo for commercial carriers

FAA rulz
Cartridges up to 19.1mm, shotgun shells

Quantity limits: Reasonable amount for "personal use" during a trip. However, international (ICAO/IATA) regulations and some airlines in the U.S. limit this to 5 kg (11 pounds) gross weight per passenger. Check with your airline.

Small arms ammunition includes cartridges up to 19.1 mm (.75 caliber) and shotgun shells. It does not include black powder, smokeless powder, primers, percussion caps, or homemade powder and ball loads for muzzle loading.

Ammunition must be securely packed in boxes or other devices specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed so no ammunition is loose or exposed.

Alaska airlines
Firearms/shooting equipment

The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.

One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
One shotgun case with shotguns, or
One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools

There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Man, congrats! Looking forward to updates. :clap:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:24 am

Anyone know a safe and secure and easy image hosting site so I can post my own pictures?

moab

Post by moab » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm envious. Wish I was going with you.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 am

moab wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:45 pm
Saddle up, partner!

moab

Post by moab » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 am
moab wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:45 pm
Saddle up, partner!

You have no idea. LOL! :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 pm

So I've been updating my Jeep for the long journey....

Over the last 3 months I've done a lot of work to her... New brakes and brake lines, new injectors, new ignition coil and spark plugs, new thermostat and radiator flush.

Plus some fun stuff like wheels and tires!!!

One of the big things about Alaska is they dont use salt on the roads. Basically gravel and sand and snow gets packed down to ice. So as a person who likes to be prepared, I got some studded snow tires to augment my "summer" all terrains.

Jeep specs: 1.5" lift from Old Man Emu

Summer combo: 15" Procomp D window steelies (3.75" BS) with 30x9.5r15 General Grabber AT2
Winter combo: 16" Rubicon 5 spokes (approx 5" BS) with 235/75r16 Cooper Discoverer M+S studded

No real rubbing from either tire except for the 30's on full lock. I've been running the Grabbers for about 2 years and they do great in the snow but not on ice. I've run the Coopers years ago and are decent snow tires but the studs should help on ice and since I had a weird size, they were my only real option locally for winter tires.

Edit: I'll be using the Grabbers to get to Seattle and the Coopers will ride on a hitch rack from Harbor Freight (the 750lb load version)

We'll see how they travel and if it's worth all the work

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 pm

For the guns, fedex them to yourself.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Over the last 3 months I've done a lot of work to her... New brakes and brake lines, new injectors, new ignition coil and spark plugs, new thermostat and radiator flush.

One of the big things about Alaska is they dont use salt on the roads. Basically gravel and sand and snow gets packed down to ice. So as a person who likes to be prepared, I got some studded snow tires to augment my "summer" all terrains.

Summer combo: 15" Procomp D window steelies (3.75" BS) with 30x9.5r15 General Grabber AT2
Winter combo: 16" Rubicon 5 spokes (approx 5" BS) with 235/75r16 Cooper Discoverer M+S studded

No real rubbing from either tire except for the 30's on full lock. I've been running the Grabbers for about 2 years and they do great in the snow but not on ice. I've run the Coopers years ago and are decent snow tires but the studs should help on ice and since I had a weird size, they were my only real option locally for winter tires.

Edit: I'll be using the Grabbers to get to Seattle and the Coopers will ride on a hitch rack from Harbor Freight (the 750lb load version)

What year? I just bought a TJ last Sunday. WAs gonna do a write up but have not gotten to it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:59 pm
For the guns, fedex them to yourself.
That's probably what I'm gonna do with my handguns that I want up there. As far as rifles, I'm probably going to fly up with those (I bought a pelican-knockoff from Plano). Problem isn't shipping them, it's finding a place that will ship them that understands the laws and their company's policies. Every person basically thinks "oh no, you can't do that"... even though you can.

Luckily I can keep my gear with family. My contract will be for 2-3 years so I don't plan on staying in AK forever, so I'll just have to make due with a limited number.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 pm

What year? I just bought a TJ last Sunday. WAs gonna do a write up but have not gotten to it.

2001, the last year of the XJs. Mine has 190k miles and still runs great. Obviously all the wear items need replaced randomly... basically everything connected to the serpentine belt has been replaced once or twice. But as far as drivetrain, these 90's and early 2000's Jeeps run forever.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Updates:

Considering driving through Canada. Shipping my Jeep from Seattle with gear in it will cost roughly $3000. The point of driving my beater there is to save money, so it looks like I'll be suffering the 70 hours to get there the long way.

Also, the Harbor Freight 750lb cargo carrier is super flimsy. Probably going to take it back and reconsider my choices.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Updates:

Officially leaving for Canada at the end of this month. Trying to make the 4000 miles in 5 days.

Also, took the Harbor Freight cargo rack back. Never buy a "flip up" version as it bounces like crazy. Got a solid version to haul some gear. Also, I receiver tightener is a great invention.

Considering making a Youtube video of my gear and the journey. But I also worry about my identity as my channel has professional videos on it. So maybe I'll start a fake account hahahaha.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 pm
Updates:

Officially leaving for Canada at the end of this month. Trying to make the 4000 miles in 5 days.
That's pretty ambitious. I team drove about half that distance for work in two days, and it was pretty grueling.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”