Forget EMP - A New Simpler Danger

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Forget EMP - A New Simpler Danger

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 am
Battleshort
In this case the fuse/circuit breaker is irrelevant. The "kill" chip in question could be embedded in the IC that operates for instance a generator's FADEC (full authority digital engine control) thus when the FADEC dies, the fuel flow stops along with the generator's engine and the power it generates until the FADEC is replaced.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 am

raptor wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 am
Battleshort
In this case the fuse/circuit breaker is irrelevant. The "kill" chip in question could be embedded in the IC that operates for instance a generator's FADEC (full authority digital engine control) thus when the FADEC dies, the fuel flow stops along with the generator's engine and the power it generates until the FADEC is replaced.
Or bypassed completely. It would take some work but you could probably bypass it, though my #1 choice for reliability would be a diesel with a manual injector pump.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 am

though my #1 choice for reliability would be a diesel with a manual injector pump.
Finding a new diesel generator or engine without a FADC is getting harder and harder. The FADEC is often necessary to pass emission regulations and they do improve fuel economy.

I agree though; a genset powered by a 71 series engine is about as simple and reliable as you can get. They do not have FADECs but they have voltage regulators that could be retro fitted with a "kill" chip in the electronic controls.
https://www.deucepower.com/

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm

This may be ridiculous, but can you roll your own chips? I admit it would require more knowledge than I currently have, but I bet someone could make a plan and post it. Maybe add some open source coding for the chip if there is one. Or just make a circuit board? I don't know. Just a thought.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:45 pm

"Rolling your own" IC chips would take far more specialized equipment and manufacturing facilities than your average or even above average DIYer would have at their disposal, or within their financial resources to acquire. There are any number of videos online that show the process but this one is pretty good:

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:03 am

Update on how current technology can be used to detect hidden design changes to PCBs, deviating from design specifications: https://spectrum.ieee.org/riskfactor/co ... in-seconds.

Notably, the technology doesn't yet appear to be in widespread use, probably because it requires a significant monetary investment (and more importantly also a time investment, in a sector where time-to-market and rapid flexibility are paramount), and because some organizations haven't seen the threat as a considerable risk yet.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:26 pm
This may be ridiculous, but can you roll your own chips? I admit it would require more knowledge than I currently have, but I bet someone could make a plan and post it. Maybe add some open source coding for the chip if there is one. Or just make a circuit board? I don't know. Just a thought.
NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:45 pm
"Rolling your own" IC chips would take far more specialized equipment and manufacturing facilities than your average or even above average DIYer would have at their disposal, or within their financial resources to acquire. There are any number of videos online that show the process but this one is pretty good:

<snip>
While an engine control circuit wouldn't necessarily need to be as complex as a modern CPU, and you could probably create a faithful replica using a self-coded microcontroller, that would only shift the question toward whether or not your microcontroller is compromised. Is bugging a general purpose microcontroller IC less attractive/feasible than altering the design of a purpose-built PCB from a competitor? I'd say probably yes, since there is no telling what application the microcontroller will be programmed to do later (and thus how to interact/interfere with its final design), so maybe using microcontrollers you code yourself could be considered safe.

I think your question also begs more toward whether or not you could create a passable engine control circuit (without any fancy emissions control features, but just enough to get the engine to keep running) from bulk passive components. I have no basis for estimating the complexities involved: Do we need protocols for communicating with the other digital components (sensors, actuators) in the system, or if these are suspect as well, do they also need to be bypassed? I am sure if you were determined enough, you could find a way to do it, but I doubt that it would be worth it. You are essentially trying to take a modern engine and shoehorn it into being an overly-complex version of itself decades before. If you did accomplish the task by essentially reverse-engineering an FADEC using bulk components, we'd be talking about replacing your passenger seat with a dozen racks of home-printed PCBs and 15 lbs of solder.

Aside: Having worked in the semiconductor fabrication industry for a little while, I am still astounded that things like modern CPUs/GPUs can even be produced and operate reliably. We are currently using processes in which transistors are 4-10 nanometers in feature dimension (at the low end, that is less than 2 dozen silicon atoms wide), and this is where a handful of stray atoms can crash your whole feature. Yes, there are design elements to mitigate this and improve product yields, but the fact that these things can be produced even once (yet more at scale) continues to amazes me.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”