IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12448
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:11 pm

https://www.ipcc.ch/news_and_events/pr_ ... _spm.shtml

Gosh, such odd timing for the release of the report.
"Every extra bit of warming matters, especially since warming of 1.5°C or higher increases the risk associated with long-lasting or irreversible changes, such as the loss of some ecosystems," said Hans-Otto Pörtner, Co-Chair of IPCC Working Group II.

Limiting global warming would also give people and ecosystems more room to adapt and remain below relevant risk thresholds, added Pörtner. The report also examines pathways available to limit warming to 1.5°C, what it would take to achieve them and what the consequences could be. "The good news is that some of the kinds of actions that would be needed to limit global warming to 1.5°C are already underway around the world, but they would need to accelerate," said Valerie Masson-Delmotte, Co-Chair of Working Group I.

The report finds that limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require "rapid and far-reaching" transitions in land, energy, industry, buildings, transport, and cities. Global net human-caused emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) would need to fall by about 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030, reaching 'net zero' around 2050. This means that any remaining emissions would need to be balanced by removing CO2 from the air.

"Limiting warming to 1.5°C is possible within the laws of chemistry and physics but doing so would require unprecedented changes," said Jim Skea, Co-Chair of IPCC Working Group III.

https://www.ipcc.ch/scripts/_session_te ... 48ipcc.htm

And this

http://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/0 ... annotated/


The last report that promised TEOTWAWKI through the disappearance of snow packs in the Himalayans got a lot of push back so they pushed the goal posts out and changed the dates to later. This is a whole new ball game here. Nobody in the US other than California and Texas are doing a thing to reduce their carbon footprints.


The IPCC is also not releasing the supporting science documents to the public at large only to:
are available to government focal points, IPCC observer organizations and other authorised users in the pre-registration site
Anywho... lets assume that by 2030 you will have 50% less resources from CO2 emitting resources. An across the board equal cut as unlikely as that may be. That is only 12 years away.


Image

Image
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 am

I'll put this in my calendar.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:43 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 am
I'll put this in my calendar.
Me too 12:00 am 01/01/2030 TEOTWAWKI , Put out the cat. Cancel magazine subscriptions
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

IPCC stands for International Political Carbon Credits

None of their scary hype matters anyhow. A number of years back a 14 year old kid invented a better 100 KW nuclear reactor and plans to go into production soon




At 18, technically no longer a boy wonder but a legally-adult genius, Wilson skipped college and, armed with a $100,000 Thiel Fellowship, went straight to work trying to solve the same seemingly insurmountable problem that has had nuclear scientists scratching their heads for generation: how to translate the awesome power of nuclear fusion into harness able energy that would change the future of this planet.

Meet the 23-year-old nuclear physicist who is tackling energy's biggest problem

https://www.businessinsider.com/taylor- ... rm-2017-11

Taylor Wilson garnered international attention from the science world in 2008 when he became the youngest person in history to produce nuclear fusion at just 14 years old, building a reactor capable of smashing atoms in a plasma core at over 500 million degrees Fahrenheit—40 times hotter than the core of the sun—in his parents' garage. And this all happened after he built a bomb at the age of 10. As a child in Texarkana, Arkansas, Taylor became infatuated with nuclear science after trysts with biology, genetics and chemistry. At age 11, while his classmates were playing with Easy-Bake Ovens, Wilson was taking his crack at building a particle accelerator in an effort to makes homemade radioisotopes.

Soon after he created a mini-sun in his garage, the wunderkind won $50,000 at a science fair for building a counterterrorism device that has the ability to detect nuclear materials in cargo containers, an invention which he later presented to Barack Obama in another science fair, this one sponsored by the White House.

In addition to counterterrorism and nuclear fusion, Wilson has also focused his optimistic virtuosity on solving some of the major shortcomings of our health industry. In his teenage years, Wilson also created a production system for medical isotopes that can be injected into patients and used to diagnose and treat cancer. His design costs less than $100,000 and can be wheeled directly into a hospital room, with the hope to replace multimillion-dollar, warehouse-size facilities that serve the same function.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12448
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm

So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm
So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
There you go again, not wishing to discuss but only disrupt.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:19 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm
IPCC stands for International Political Carbon Credits

None of their scary hype matters anyhow. A number of years back a 14 year old kid invented a better 100 KW nuclear reactor and plans to go into production soon




At 18, technically no longer a boy wonder but a legally-adult genius, Wilson skipped college and, armed with a $100,000 Thiel Fellowship, went straight to work trying to solve the same seemingly insurmountable problem that has had nuclear scientists scratching their heads for generation: how to translate the awesome power of nuclear fusion into harness able energy that would change the future of this planet.

Meet the 23-year-old nuclear physicist who is tackling energy's biggest problem

https://www.businessinsider.com/taylor- ... rm-2017-11

Taylor Wilson garnered international attention from the science world in 2008 when he became the youngest person in history to produce nuclear fusion at just 14 years old, building a reactor capable of smashing atoms in a plasma core at over 500 million degrees Fahrenheit—40 times hotter than the core of the sun—in his parents' garage. And this all happened after he built a bomb at the age of 10. As a child in Texarkana, Arkansas, Taylor became infatuated with nuclear science after trysts with biology, genetics and chemistry. At age 11, while his classmates were playing with Easy-Bake Ovens, Wilson was taking his crack at building a particle accelerator in an effort to makes homemade radioisotopes.

Soon after he created a mini-sun in his garage, the wunderkind won $50,000 at a science fair for building a counterterrorism device that has the ability to detect nuclear materials in cargo containers, an invention which he later presented to Barack Obama in another science fair, this one sponsored by the White House.

In addition to counterterrorism and nuclear fusion, Wilson has also focused his optimistic virtuosity on solving some of the major shortcomings of our health industry. In his teenage years, Wilson also created a production system for medical isotopes that can be injected into patients and used to diagnose and treat cancer. His design costs less than $100,000 and can be wheeled directly into a hospital room, with the hope to replace multimillion-dollar, warehouse-size facilities that serve the same function.
'MERICA!!! FUCK YEAH!!!

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12448
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:03 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm
So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
There you go again, not wishing to discuss but only disrupt.
Maybe expand on your original post? That is what I got from it.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm
So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
If the guy's designs get licenced and are as efficient and effective as advertised, that could produce a lot of clean energy and solve a lot of carbon issues. That would be pretty cool.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:34 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm
So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
If the guy's designs get licenced and are as efficient and effective as advertised, that could produce a lot of clean energy and solve a lot of carbon issues. That would be pretty cool.
Until it comes time to refuel/dismantle the aforementioned reactors. We have enough radioactive waste we can't de-radiate. No thanks.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12448
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Here we are at ZS where we plan on interruptions of service that most people take for granted like electricity. Here is a planned reduction in service that will not support current service levels, never mind the demand in 2030. So the plan here is to think beyond; "whatever they can give me". Because if your answer is "whatever they can give me" then you don't need to bother. Now I have to go the game.
Last edited by Stercutus on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Image

Where we're going we don't need roads
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
JayceSlayn
* * *
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:34 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm
So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
If the guy's designs get licenced and are as efficient and effective as advertised, that could produce a lot of clean energy and solve a lot of carbon issues. That would be pretty cool.
While I'd be there leading the cheer for him (or anyone) to succeed at making a practical fusion reactor (even if it is still the size of six city blocks), I'd rather not pin the hopes of mankind on a single person pulling through a miracle for all of us. Better to have some back-up plans. Right now, we're burning through the practical back-up plans at an alarming rate, and headed down some strange and uncharted places.

I personally don't hold much optimism that we'll make the kinds of steps outlined to meet the 1.5 C warming goals. And neither do I hold much optimism that we'll miraculously wax compassionate globally, put aside our tribal warring tendencies, and come together to solve the challenges we might face in a proactive or genial way. I more practically expect that conflict in the geopolitical and economic sectors will increase as pressures mount from all around.

While I don't expect to live much past 2060, I've based my future plans on the benchmarks put forth in the 2100 climate estimates etc. Because those are the furthest-looking readily available estimates, why not try to play it safe, and we seem to be constantly underestimating how fast and bad things might become.

Again, I'd be happy to see the free, limitless, clean power future finally arrive (we've been waiting a long time), and I'd be happy to hear that we've successfully averted climate catastrophe, I'm just not holding my breath for either.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Global warming, low cost clean energy, reducing carbon footprint. The sad fact of the matter is there are too many humans living on this planet. When a animal population grows too large, Mother Nature has brutal ways to reduce that population. Quickly
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Great points about the challenges and how much carbon is currently being emitted.

I"m hopeful about new technologies which extract carbon from the air and can do so for as little as (estimated) $100 a ton.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41816332

https://www.fastcompany.com/40421871/th ... ate-change

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44396781

And I"m probably more comfortable with nuclear fuel than others here. And I'm probably more comfortable with radiation in general. One might think about it like chemo therapy to kill cancer. The chemo sucks, but the cancer sucks worse. In this case, radio active fuels suck, but are helpful in reducing carbon emissions in a cost effective way and could buy the time to advance technologies to where radio active fuels are not necessary.

The first BBC article talked about how simply growing trees would also be a huge help in regulating carbon emissions. I have driven through much of Nebraska, Kansas, and South Dakota. I'd say the US has a lot of room for more trees. Iowa could also be a help in that direction, but they have more actual tilled land vs. grass lands.

Also, I have heard people criticize carbon extraction technology because it would allow us to continue on our current path without as much need for change. They argue we need the stress and threat of disaster to cause us to culturally change. I think this is hog wash and we need to take the low hanging fruit we can grab now while continuing to advance scientifically. And we should NOT expect China, or Russia, to ever do what some would term "globally responsible things."

Just my opinions. Nobody is paying me for my climate opinions, so I guess they are not worth much :crazy:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm
Global warming, low cost clean energy, reducing carbon footprint. The sad fact of the matter is there are too many humans living on this planet. When a animal population grows too large, Mother Nature has brutal ways to reduce that population. Quickly
...and with that....

https://www.foxnews.com/health/men-seei ... udy-claims

Apparently things are solving themselves.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone
* *
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by boskone » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 pm

ISTR an article indicating that one problem is that as current developed nations move to lower-CO2 technologies, developing nations are more than making up for it.

It's not like they can afford wind farms, solar arrays (assuming they're in a location where it's reasonable; the Amazon's a great latitude, but I expect cutting down the forest for solar would be counterproductive), late-generation (or, probably, any generation) nuclear reactors, or any of the other carbon-neutral technologies.

Maybe the CO2-gathering technologies Woodsghost linked can help there. There's also Climateworks, who professes to have some secret sauce to process CO2 emissions with renewable H2 generation to produce methane for fuel. I'll believe it when I see a few years of operation under their belt, though.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 pm
I personally don't hold much optimism that we'll make the kinds of steps outlined to meet the 1.5 C warming goals. And neither do I hold much optimism that we'll miraculously wax compassionate globally, put aside our tribal warring tendencies, and come together to solve the challenges we might face in a proactive or genial way. I more practically expect that conflict in the geopolitical and economic sectors will increase as pressures mount from all around.

...and we seem to be constantly underestimating how fast and bad things might become.

Again, I'd be happy to see the free, limitless, clean power future finally arrive (we've been waiting a long time), and I'd be happy to hear that we've successfully averted climate catastrophe, I'm just not holding my breath for either.
Unfortunately, I can agree with this. :( I'm not a misanthrope, but I'm not seeing global-wide "Kum ba yah".

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:34 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:33 pm
So your plan is to use an unlicensed nuclear reactor to meet your energy needs? Does not seem solid to me.
If the guy's designs get licenced and are as efficient and effective as advertised, that could produce a lot of clean energy and solve a lot of carbon issues. That would be pretty cool.
Until it comes time to refuel/dismantle the aforementioned reactors. We have enough radioactive waste we can't de-radiate. No thanks.
Actually watch the videos and read the articles and the (supposed) plan is to employ the aging weapons grade material that the US Govt. can no longer use in weapons and can't easily dispose of
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:03 pm
Maybe expand on your original post? That is what I got from it.
My original post is pretty detailed and nowhere is there any mention of me or anyone else having any plan to use an unlicensed reactor. If you read things more closely you'd see that they are trying to form a company to design, build and sell licensed reactors. There are a myriad of challenges there which a super smart kid may not be able to figure out.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 am

flybynight wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm
Global warming, low cost clean energy, reducing carbon footprint. The sad fact of the matter is there are too many humans living on this planet. When a animal population grows too large, Mother Nature has brutal ways to reduce that population. Quickly
Yet the very people crying about global warming are flying in jets, driving dirty diesels and burning electricity 24 hours a day.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 am

Here is the NPR story: Climate Report Warns Of Extreme Weather, Displacement Of Millions Without Action
No quotes - avoiding politics.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4272
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 am

MPMalloy wrote: No quotes - avoiding politics.
.

No need to worry about being the first to mention “politics”

The very first post starts with a very political topic about a highly political group that keeps their data secret and has been roundly criticized by its own members as well as numerous others for its political skulduggery.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: IPCC Reports TEOTWAWKI by 2030-40

Post by woodsghost » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 am

teotwaki wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 am
MPMalloy wrote: No quotes - avoiding politics.
.

No need to worry about being the first to mention “politics”

The very first post starts with a very political topic about a highly political group that keeps their data secret and has been roundly criticized by its own members as well as numerous others for its political skulduggery.
The whole "we are not releasing our data to the public" thing is a huge red flag, and that leads me to be skeptical of the rest of what they have to say. On the other hand, there are groups with more openness and accountability. And some scientists still question the human impact on climate change. So as long as the scientific community is still working out what is going on and how much humans are responsible, vs other natural mechanisms of climate change, I'm interested in solutions and seeing if we can implement them while also making lifestyle changes.

Just where I'm at.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”