Women wearing headphones fails to heed active shooter warning, gets shot

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Women wearing headphones fails to heed active shooter warning, gets shot

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Today in Cincinnati, a possible disgruntled bank employee opened fire at his former workplace, killing three people and seriously injuring two more. One of the people shot and possibly killed was a woman who failed to head warnings of an active shooter in the bank, because she had headphones on and was oblivious to her surroundings or the shouts of those trying to warn her of the danger, so she walked right into an active-shooter situation.

I see a lot of oblivious "pod people' walking around with headsets on, unaware of their surroundings or any sudden dangers. Guys I knew who served in Iraq even talked about soldiers on mounted patrols listening to loud music through headphones. Maybe its time people made a habit of being more attuned to their environment and prepared to react to the unexpected.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/4-kil ... 2018-09-06

One witness, Leonard Cain, told the paper that he was going inside a bank when someone yelled that he shouldn’t because of the shooting.

He said a woman also was walking into the bank at the same time, but had her headphones on and couldn’t hear their warnings.

“She walked in the door and he shot her,” Cain told the paper, saying that he heard up to 15 shots fired.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Women wearing headphones fails to heed active shooter warning, gets shot

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:02 pm

I used to walk everywhere with headphones on when I lived in the city. Rarely would the music be loud and I was always looking around. I make it a habit to NOT stare at my phone when walking because people are crazy and you never know.

Sad that this happened, it just goes to prove that you really need to look up and around all the time.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm

The other day when I was walking my dog, I saw some teenager riding his bike on the sidewalk while looking at his cell phone. His handlebar caught a sign post and he wiped out. I laughed - does that make me a bad person?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:53 am

Yeah, walking around in public in White (-) is never a good idea.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:34 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 pm
Today in Cincinnati, a possible disgruntled bank employee opened fire at his former workplace, killing three people and seriously injuring two more. One of the people shot and possibly killed was a woman who failed to head warnings of an active shooter in the bank, because she had headphones on and was oblivious to her surroundings or the shouts of those trying to warn her of the danger, so she walked right into an active-shooter situation.

I see a lot of oblivious "pod people' walking around with headsets on, unaware of their surroundings or any sudden dangers. Guys I knew who served in Iraq even talked about soldiers on mounted patrols listening to loud music through headphones. Maybe its time people made a habit of being more attuned to their environment and prepared to react to the unexpected.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/4-kil ... 2018-09-06

One witness, Leonard Cain, told the paper that he was going inside a bank when someone yelled that he shouldn’t because of the shooting.

He said a woman also was walking into the bank at the same time, but had her headphones on and couldn’t hear their warnings.

“She walked in the door and he shot her,” Cain told the paper, saying that he heard up to 15 shots fired.

Simple case of Darwinism at work..... :shock:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm

There are many arguments here and elsewhere as to what is the most important prep.

I think this illustrates the one prep I have always said is the most important...situational awareness is the key preparation.

No one can be at condition orange 24/7/365. Still you can train yourself to habitually look around and be aware when you are walking, driving or out and about.

Just saying keeping your head on swivel when walking and driving (or flying or boating) my just save your life.

Don't get started on smart phone zombies...

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:41 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm
The other day when I was walking my dog, I saw some teenager riding his bike on the sidewalk while looking at his cell phone. His handlebar caught a sign post and he wiped out. I laughed - does that make me a bad person?

The word is schadenfreude - the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

We all do it to some degree or another.

On a more serious note I wonder how soon after the shooting began did she walk in?

I ask because one of the technologies we were exploring with the police department when I was working in Florida was an alert to smart phones. So in theory, if she had been a subscriber to the Doral City Alert service, and the police dispatcher entered the alert on time, she would have received an alert on her smart phone based on her proximity to the incident.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm

So in theory, if she had been a subscriber to the Doral City Alert service, and the police dispatcher entered the alert on time, she would have received an alert on her smart phone based on her proximity to the incident.

That's no substitute for being alert to your surroundings instead of being oblivious in your own little world.

Unplug, zombies.
Last edited by absinthe beginner on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm
<I>So in theory, if she had been a subscriber to the Doral City Alert service, and the police dispatcher entered the alert on time, she would have received an alert on her smart phone based on her proximity to the incident.</I>

That's no substitute for being alert to your surroundings instead of being oblivious in your own little world.

Unplug, zombies.
This, so much this.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:07 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm
There are many arguments here and elsewhere as to what is the most important prep.

I think this illustrates the one prep I have always said is the most important...situational awareness is the key preparation.

No one can be at condition orange 24/7/365. Still you can train yourself to habitually look around and be aware when you are walking, driving or out and about.

Just saying keeping your head on swivel when walking and driving (or flying or boating) my just save your life.

Don't get started on smart phone zombies...
Yea but you can stay at yellow indefinitely .With a few exceptions I've been in yellow since the eighties
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 am

"One of the people shot and possibly killed ..."

possibly? :? shouldn't they be able to tell? :|
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am

I see it ALL the time. People dont care about their surroundings. And this is what happens. I rarely use headphones (outside of my house) for this very reason. But, we all make choices and must live with them. Myy choice is to watch my surroundings...day or night.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”