The Coming Civil War

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: The Coming Civil War

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:09 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm
After logging back on to facebook, I immediately started loading ammo and packing bags... it's getting rough out there folks
Shouldn't that have already been done? We are preppers, are we not?
I had to make sure I cycled out the old beer for fresh cold ones... If I'm going down, I'm going down like Stone Cold Steve Austin...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:10 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
So with the forum being down for a little while, I hopped back on social media to waste my internet time...

...I must say, twitter and facebook were always full of degenerates talking trash, but even educated, prominent, respectable, hard-working people are spewing some vile propaganda and hate filled rhetoric.

On ALL sides... there are some new political groups popping up that have morphed into others.

After logging back on to facebook, I immediately started loading ammo and packing bags... it's getting rough out there folks
That's what I said. I literaly saw replies to posts expressing an opinon of I am going to kill you and your kind. I saw several threats to the life of the president and other politicians ( not implied as in " you or HE should be shot" ).
I switched out the smaller ccw for a full size pistol. Put a battle belt in the truck and the shotgun is back in the truck also. Honestly I think it won't be needed to get home. Schools out, It's really too hot to be running around outside unless you have to and I don't work in a large city. BUT....
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Most of that is likely rhetoric, internet temper-tantrums and possibly even third state actors trying to make trouble. But there are plenty of dumb people out there that are going to be susceptible to such influences and will cause problems. I'd be more worried about a group of organized haters than random jerk-offs.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:33 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:10 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
So with the forum being down for a little while, I hopped back on social media to waste my internet time...

...I must say, twitter and facebook were always full of degenerates talking trash, but even educated, prominent, respectable, hard-working people are spewing some vile propaganda and hate filled rhetoric.

On ALL sides... there are some new political groups popping up that have morphed into others.

That's what I said. I literaly saw replies to posts expressing an opinon of I am going to kill you and your kind. I saw several threats to the life of the president and other politicians ( not implied as in " you or HE should be shot" ).
I switched out the smaller ccw for a full size pistol. Put a battle belt in the truck and the shotgun is back in the truck also. Honestly I think it won't be needed to get home. Schools out, It's really too hot to be running around outside unless you have to and I don't work in a large city. BUT....
Yep... I travel a lot and your post reflects what I've been doing as well.

I keep more gear in my Jeep. I carry my LCP when I normally wouldn't carry, I carry my cz75 compact when I'd normally carry my LCP.

If I'm more than an hour away, I normally bring a rifle with me (I shoot where I travel so it's basically a range toy... but I bring it).

I now keep a case of water with me and keep a sleeping bag and spare parts/fluids in my Jeep instead of the garage.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 pm
Most of that is likely rhetoric, internet temper-tantrums and possibly even third state actors trying to make trouble. But there are plenty of dumb people out there that are going to be susceptible to such influences and will cause problems. I'd be more worried about a group of organized haters than random jerk-offs.
No it's people I know and went to school with. I would say there used to be few... 3 to 4... people who had extreme views and everyone would roll their eyes and go about their business. Now I'd say it's 50% of my newsfeed and even worse if I start randomly looking at random profiles on my friends lists.

It's like everyone is reverting to stark tribalism without thinking about "why" they feel the way they feel.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 pm

No offense meant but it's an ancient story. If you look forward to all that may trouble you and end your too short life you accept the human condition. It is built in; an easy sell. Especially if one can sell you something, the message is urgent. Is it all going to come apart? Yep. We're human. I like you guys but I just left an old revolution and I need another iced, citrus beverage before a dip in the pool.

Add 10 seconds to your life by purchasing a water brick.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm
Stercutus wrote:
No it's people I know and went to school with. I would say there used to be few... 3 to 4... people who had extreme views and everyone would roll their eyes and go about their business. Now I'd say it's 50% of my newsfeed and even worse if I start randomly looking at random profiles on my friends lists.

It's like everyone is reverting to stark tribalism without thinking about "why" they feel the way they feel.
Is it really tribalism? Have they formed in to a distinctive family type group where loyalty to the group outweighs ROL?
Shall be my brother

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Great questions. Some people just need to sign off the spydrwebz esp. w/ local folks. Their civil war will end.
Henry David Thoreau

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm
Stercutus wrote:

Is it really tribalism? Have they formed in to a distinctive family type group where loyalty to the group outweighs ROL?
I'm using it loosely... I'm taking the word from others in usage. And I do think loyalty outweighs ROL... think protests, riots, assaults, etc. on a microscale and not full out war.

Here's a video that talks about what I mean. It's Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson so it is deals with politics

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm
Great questions. Some people just need to sign off the spydrwebz esp. w/ local folks. Their civil war will end.
Agreed... but since hundreds of millions of people in North America use social media, they will still be logged in and flinging poo at each other.

I don't think we are on the brink of war, I just think a 24 hour news cycle and social media have raised tensions as this technology has no historical parallel.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm
Asymetryczna wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm
Agreed... but since hundreds of millions of people in North America use social media, they will still be logged in and flinging poo at each other.

I don't think we are on the brink of war, I just think a 24 hour news cycle and social media have raised tensions as this technology has no historical parallel.
Maybe that is it. I turned off the "news" before the last major election. Since I am not tied in to their cycle I might be missing something as to what is instigating some of the more bizarre behavior. I doubt that is all that it is though.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that social media is stirring up a lot of trouble. In many instances the outrages is in my opinion hilarious except for the fact that people are taking it seriously

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Could incivil, gutless bluster and temporary rhetorical outrage be the new normal for a large group of folks who operate mostly from a place of ignorance and misinformation?
Shall be my brother

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:22 pm

There are a lot of fire breathers and blowhards on social media, which is why I'm not on it. I know literally no one among my real world friends, family, or acquaintances that wants a civil war, or seriously believe one is coming. Although quite a few would be prepared to confront anyone who came into their 'hood to stir things up or threaten people.

I'm guessing most of the keyboard commandos who bluster the most on social media are meek and mild in real life.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm guessing most of the keyboard commandos who bluster the most on social media are meek and mild in real life.
True, conversely most active shooters and political assassins have a small social footprint. Perhaps the ones we need to worry more about are the ones reading all the leading commentary and drinking it all in.
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 am

True, conversely most active shooters and political assassins have a small social footprint. Perhaps the ones we need to worry more about are the ones reading all the leading commentary and drinking it all in.
My late FiL was one of those people who seemed to think if someone took the time to write it on the Internet, it must be true. He was constantly forwarding me these incredibly inflammatory anti-Obama "exposes" that were almost all fabrications designed to stir up the yahoos, until I told him to stop spamming me and to stop forwarding slanderous disinformation. I think being in a state of constant agitation hastened his eventual demise. That said, he wouldn't have hurt a fly.

There does seem to be a huge increase in alienated, atomized individuals with estranged points of view who are being radicalized by whatever internet echo chambers they are immersing themselves in, and whose personal pathologies and critical thinking skills leave something to be desired. Very worrisome for our future stability as the social fabric frays further.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:22 pm
There are a lot of fire breathers and blowhards on social media, which is why I'm not on it.
After using the Socratic method to date the 1970 tome as if to suggest there was some kind of implied hidden meaning, you now use social media to point out that you are not on social media. That kicks ass. Seriously; that's the shit that killed Elvis. I'm going to call you friend.
Henry David Thoreau

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 am

There does seem to be a huge increase in alienated, atomized individuals with estranged points of view who are being radicalized by whatever internet echo chambers they are immersing themselves in, and whose personal pathologies and critical thinking skills leave something to be desired. Very worrisome for our future stability as the social fabric frays further.
There is another issue, that of identify formation. One thought is that traditional identity formation was based on what friends and family thought of you. That identify formation was largely external and stable. We largely rejected that over the last 50 years and pushed for internal identify formation. We decide if we are good or bad. We decide who we are. This leads to 1) longer time forming our identity because we have to figure it out and 2) greater identity instability and therefore a greater need to protect our identity.

The result then is that the Western world becomes more extreme because moderates and the "other side" don't agree with us. Their lack of agreement is perceived as an attack on Identity. Our fragile identity formation now requires people to completely agree with us or we risk a broken identity, and this is a threat. So we lash out harder at those who we perceive as "not like us" or "not as hard core as us."

This is one idea among many. But this one makes the most sense to me. So I"m sharing it.

The broader point being that we may be seeing a bunch of fragile egos and delicate identities and they may start to clash as a defense against being shattered. We may see more of those atomized individuals acting out.

This also serves as one explanation for why we seem to see more extreme thoughts and why so many people seem to have a black/white world with no room for compromise.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 am

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 am
This also serves as one explanation for why we seem to see more extreme thoughts and why so many people seem to have a black/white world with no room for compromise.
Concur. There are volumes being written now about fragility although it is nothing new. I suspect it has ties to numbers but in a more complex way than the binary track of computers and robots and increasingly thought.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm

There is another issue, that of identify formation. One thought is that traditional identity formation was based on what friends and family thought of you. That identify formation was largely external and stable. We largely rejected that over the last 50 years and pushed for internal identify formation. We decide if we are good or bad. We decide who we are. This leads to 1) longer time forming our identity because we have to figure it out and 2) greater identity instability and therefore a greater need to protect our identity.

The result then is that the Western world becomes more extreme because moderates and the "other side" don't agree with us. Their lack of agreement is perceived as an attack on Identity. Our fragile identity formation now requires people to completely agree with us or we risk a broken identity, and this is a threat. So we lash out harder at those who we perceive as "not like us" or "not as hard core as us."

This is one idea among many. But this one makes the most sense to me. So I"m sharing it.

The broader point being that we may be seeing a bunch of fragile egos and delicate identities and they may start to clash as a defense against being shattered. We may see more of those atomized individuals acting out.

Interesting, thank you for posting that.

This article discusses the displacement in the US of self identifiers:

https://www.barna.com/research/what-mos ... americans/

The big takeaway for this discussion:
Generational Identities
When it comes to identifying as an American, there is nearly a 50-point drop between the oldest generation—Elders—and the youngest. Four out of five Elders say that being an American makes up a lot of their personal identity, but only one-third of Millennials say the same (34%).
And
"Gen-Xers and Millennials—are generally less trusting of institutions than older generations. This disenfranchisement holds true in their relative reluctance to claim any of these factors as part of their identity. It is also true that Gen-Xers and Millennials have a reputation for wanting to be individualists—for wanting to break away from traditional cultural narratives and to resist being ‘boxed in’ by what they perceive as limiting expectations."
My generation grew up with James Loewen on the bookshelf and eventually a PDF. With the rise of the internet the word "facts" took on a whole new meaning and context.

The human problem has not really changed. The way people seek answers and the answers they find have changed. I am not sure if "being ugly to everyone who disagrees with you" is an answer but it does reek of weak self identity.
Shall be my brother

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Bumping this again after reading this https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... -killings-
followed/744741002/
Where once it was common for officers to conduct hundreds of car stops, drug stops and street encounters every day, on May 4, 2015, three days after city prosecutors announced that they had filed charges against six officers over Gray’s death, the number fell to just 79. The average number of incidents police reported themselves dropped from an average of 460 a day in March to 225 a day in June of that year, even though summer weather typically brings higher crime. By the end of last year, it was lower still.

At the same time, violence in the city leapt to historic highs. Police recorded more than 200 murders and assaults involving guns in May 2015, triple the number in March.

Criminologists who reviewed the records say it’s impossible to determine whether that rapid change played a role in the city’s rising crime, but some found the pattern troubling.

“The cops are being less proactive at the same time violence is going up,” says Peter Moskos, a John Jay College of Criminal Justice professor and former Baltimore officer who reviewed USA TODAY’s data and analysis.
Encourage you to just read the whole article

Essentially post anti-Police riots (term them what you want) Police initiated attempts to maintain law and order PROactively dropped dramatically.

Reactively it shows they respond as before but without the pro-active policing Baltimore is seeing considerably more crime/social decay.

Not interested in the politics behind this but this fits a slow collapse narrative. Big cities with crime are going to suffer more as things break down (however or w.e that breakdown is).
Man is a beast of prey

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:08 pm

There are a host of politics in the Baltimore example that are contributing causes to the accelerated slide of Baltimore down the commode. Police being restrained is merely one of them.
Shall be my brother

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:27 am

And, allowing for the restriction on politics at this forum, thank you for being secular and well-mannered by not saying what you mean to say in this non-polemology on Baltimore. This is a forum after all; groupthink is king and must be completely devoid of the pervasively computerized binary zeroes and ones, which, left unchecked, could spin dangerously down the drain of ancestral, cultural, hereditary or phylogenetic bias while ignoring more mainstream toxic femininity, misandry and the increasingly trending people who are against people that are against things.
(NOTE that I will refuse to discuss GIANT FATBUTTS despite newspeak doing their best to feed the world's starvation. Apparently there is just that one family.)

Friends, you MUST FIND A NINTH PATH.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”