2018 Hurricane Season

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: 2018 Hurricane Season

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Same as above from NPR: Hurricane Florence Spins Up Into A Category 4 Storm, Aiming At U.S. East Coast
Hurricane Florence is expected to hit the southeastern U.S. as "a large and extremely dangerous hurricane," the National Hurricane Center says, after the storm quickly strengthened on Monday. Florence is now predicted to bring "life-threatening impacts" to the U.S. late this week.

Florence is now a Category 4 storm, reaching that status a day earlier than experts had predicted. The hurricane center announced the change in an update, citing data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft that showed Florence was rapidly intensifying, with maximum sustained winds near 130 mph.

Over the next 36 hours, Florence's winds could reach 150 mph, the hurricane center says.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 pm

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09- ... inas-brace

"It's Like The Zombie Apocalypse" - Water, Batteries, Flashlights Vanish From Shelves As Carolinas Brace For Florence

With memories of the devastation wrought by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria still fresh in the minds of US consumers, residents of South and North Carolina are taking zero chances as Hurricane Florence - now a Category 4 storm - barrels toward the eastern seaboard. According to local media reports, store shelves have been cleared of vital supplies like bottled water and food as anxious southerners brace for the worst-case scenario.

Shelves at Wal-Marts in North Carolina and South Carolina had been cleared out by Sunday evening, forcing the stores to frantically restock shelves as residents loaded up on everything from water to plywood to generators, per WGN9. Flashlights and batteries also flew off the shelves.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:09 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/10/intensi ... heast.html

South Carolina orders evacuation of 1 million people as Hurricane Florence strengthens to Category 4

Forecasters say Hurricane Florence has strengthened to a potentially catastrophic Category 4 storm as it closes in on North and South Carolina, where forecasters said unusually warm ocean currents off the coast could super-charge it into "a large and extremely dangerous hurricane."

South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster announced on Monday an evacuation order for the state's entire coastline, in effect starting Tuesday at noon. McMaster estimated that about 1 million people would have to evacuate. Also on Monday, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency for the state, joining Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

The first impacts were already being seen on North Carolina's barrier islands Monday as dangerous rip currents and seawater flowed over the state highway. People were told to prepare to evacuate communities up and down a stretch of coastline already identified as particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels due to climate change.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 am

People were told to prepare to evacuate communities up and down a stretch of coastline already identified as particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels due to climate change.
"Climate change"* doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. They're called 'barrier islands' for a reason. People who build on them are effing idiots.

*Given that climate, over the long term, is not constant, the term climate change is stupid.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 am

Langenator wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 am
People were told to prepare to evacuate communities up and down a stretch of coastline already identified as particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels due to climate change.
They're called 'barrier islands' for a reason. People who build on them are effing idiots.
Agreed, I'm in Charleston, and those that live on some of the new developmets out there are rather torqued with the fact that federal flood insurance will not be given. I can understand some homes that have existed there for a few generations being covered, but the new housing isnt. Then you see stupid stuff like this:
"Developers are facing legal opposition and a race against the tides in the fight to construct homes on the rapidly eroding Captain Sam’s Spit." https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/The ... ne-shrinks
Just think about that for a minute. We gotta hurry and build houses before the island washes away. It takes a special kind of stupid.

Anyways looks like it'll just be a wet one for Charleston this time... :)
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am

We see some of that same complaints about no flood insurance. My comment is that if you want to live on a barrier island or some other area that is prone to storm surge buy a boat and live on it.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 pm

The same goes for more ordinary flood plains (i.e., ones that flood from things other than tropical storms/hurricanes.

Uncle Sam should get out of the business of issuing new flood insurance. Grandfather existing policies, with the proviso that after the next claim is paid out, no more insurance.

Taxpayers shouldn't be in the business of subsidizing other people's decision to live somewhere stupid. (For the record, my folks live in CA. There's no federal quake insurance program, and market quake insurance is prohibitively expensive. My folks just count on a quake nasty enough to topple a single story wood frame house not happening in their lifetimes.)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:22 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/hurrica ... ast-2018-9

Hurricane Florence is forecast to be as big as the whole state of North Carolina when it hits the US

Hurricane Florence is forecast to hit the US East Coast later this week, by which point the storm is expected to be the size of North Carolina.

The hurricane was carrying sustained winds of 130 mph as of 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday, according to the National Hurricane Center.

"As it approaches North Carolina, Hurricane Florence will grow to the size of North Carolina," the meteorologist Eric Holthaus tweeted.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Wait....you mean that whole big white puffy area is Florence, not just the red thingy?!?!? :ohdear:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Probably just my mind being in the gutter but does the storm seem exceptionally phallic to anyone else?

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... 0#contents

Just saying..
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

From ABC (Australia):
Hurricane Florence is churning toward the United States eastern seaboard as a storm of "staggering" size, forcing a million people to evacuate the coast.

Many more were left to wonder where they might be safe if days of torrential rains unleash floods from the mountains to the sea.
Key points:

Hurricane becomes category 4 storm as it nears North and South Carolina, with winds up to 209kph
National Hurricane Centre says Florence intensifying, could strengthen to category 5
More than 1 million people are under orders to evacuate the Carolina coast

"This one really scares me," National Hurricane Centre director Ken Graham warned.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Florence Gets Bigger as It Heads Toward North Carolina Coast

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd=premium

Florence is expanding on its relentless advance toward North Carolina, promising to deliver days of drenching rain from what may be the most powerful hurricane to hit the state in 64 years.

The storm, which is still more than 700 miles (1,125 kilometers) from the coast, is expected to make landfall late Thursday or early Friday and then stall, dropping as much as 30 inches of rain on North Carolina. The storm may trigger “catastrophic flash flooding,” according to the National Weather Service, and a storm surge of as much as 13 feet (4 meters).

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 pm

A good checklist of preps to send to people in the affected areas.

https://old.reddit.com/r/preppers/comme ... egathread/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:07 pm

From NPR: U.S. Navy Sends Ships Out To Sea Ahead Of Hurricane Florence
Evacuation orders from South Carolina to Virginia have driven more than a million people inland seeking to escape Hurricane Florence that is expected to make landfall Thursday.

The U.S. Navy is seeking safety in the opposite direction, out to sea.

Nearly 30 naval vessels left the Hampton Roads area of southeastern Virginia Monday in order to escape the ravages of the storm. Florence is expected to reach land somewhere in the Carolinas on Thursday, bringing with it heavy rain, powerful storm surges and high winds.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm

The safest place for ships is at sea steaming away from the storm. This is the normal response on the maritime to any storm.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:31 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm
The safest place for ships is at sea steaming away from the storm. This is the normal response on the maritime to any storm.

While true the only normal US Navy craft "safe" at Sea State 8-9 is going to be a carrier. A modern AC Carrier is pretty amazing in size scale and properly sailed can take just about anything the ocean can throw at her. Other vessels not so much. Doubtless the storm is bringing a Sea State 9 so they likely will be steering well clear of it.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Ships are safe at sea because they are steaming away from the storm and not into it. A ship typically can be 500 miles north of the storm path within 24 hours and every 24 hours be an additional 500 miles further away from the storm path.

If they leave timely they will not experience force 7 + conditions at all

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Any ZS members in the affected zone? Would be good to get first-hand accounts of how this plays out.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 pm

From ABC (Australia): Hurricane Florence could bring massive amounts of rain, devastating floods to the Carolina coast
It's huge, it's dangerous, and it's going to hit.

Barring a meteorological miracle, Hurricane Florence is on track to make landfall on the US east coast somewhere along South or North Carolina around Friday morning Australian time.

It's packing winds of more than 200 kilometres an hour, and forecasters warn it threatens to create a storm surge that in some places will reach 4 metres high.

That's easily enough to overwhelm many low-lying islands and beachfront areas.

While all that sounds bad, and it is, it may not be the worst of it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:36 pm
Any ZS members in the affected zone? Would be good to get first-hand accounts of how this plays out.
hopefully they're getting the hell out of the affected zone
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm

crypto wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:36 pm
hopefully they're getting the hell out of the affected zone
The areas "affected" are huge. Like 10M+ people in the affected areas.
Shall be my brother

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I seem to remember reading something about the NC legislature banning the use of sea level rise data for coastal planning purposes, too
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 am
Langenator wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 am
They're called 'barrier islands' for a reason. People who build on them are effing idiots.
Agreed, I'm in Charleston, and those that live on some of the new developmets out there are rather torqued with the fact that federal flood insurance will not be given. I can understand some homes that have existed there for a few generations being covered, but the new housing isnt. Then you see stupid stuff like this:
"Developers are facing legal opposition and a race against the tides in the fight to construct homes on the rapidly eroding Captain Sam’s Spit." https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/The ... ne-shrinks
Just think about that for a minute. We gotta hurry and build houses before the island washes away. It takes a special kind of stupid.

Anyways looks like it'll just be a wet one for Charleston this time... :)
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”