2018 Hurricane Season

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: 2018 Hurricane Season

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:38 pm

crypto wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 pm
I seem to remember reading something about the NC legislature banning the use of sea level rise data for coastal planning purposes, too
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 am
Langenator wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 am
People were told to prepare to evacuate communities up and down a stretch of coastline already identified as particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels due to climate change.
They're called 'barrier islands' for a reason. People who build on them are effing idiots.
Agreed, I'm in Charleston, and those that live on some of the new developmets out there are rather torqued with the fact that federal flood insurance will not be given. I can understand some homes that have existed there for a few generations being covered, but the new housing isnt. Then you see stupid stuff like this:
"Developers are facing legal opposition and a race against the tides in the fight to construct homes on the rapidly eroding Captain Sam’s Spit." https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/The ... ne-shrinks
Just think about that for a minute. We gotta hurry and build houses before the island washes away. It takes a special kind of stupid.

Anyways looks like it'll just be a wet one for Charleston this time... :)
Yes indeedy...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... against-it
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 pm

crypto wrote:
I seem to remember reading something about the NC legislature banning the use of sea level rise data for coastal planning purposes, too

Sea level rise, is one thing. Building a house on a sand bar is another. :rofl: Of course neither should be done.
I have no problem if they want to build there as long as #1 - the Govt doesn't supplement/offer flood insurance/any insurance. #2 - they post a bond high enough to remediate the area to it's natural state after the houses float away. #3 - Post a bond to clean up the afore mentioned toilet flush and debris.
Also - Bond is non refundable, cant "Bankrupt" yourself out, etc. Some of the home builders around here are known for building subpar or houses just at code, and as soon as they start falling apart go bankrupt for a week, then re-open under a new name.

Anyway, I'll be here (Charleston) during the storm and will update as needed. Home is on a rise, minimal threat from trees, and survived Hugo, which was worse. I expect the garage to flood a little (It does everytime there is an extended rain) but otherwise, should be ok.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 pm

crypto wrote:
If that's not Gov't for ya, I dunno what is.

Hey crypto. What's shakin?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:54 am

From NPR: Hurricane Florence, A Large Category 2 Storm, Closes In On North Carolina Coast
Hurricane Florence's heavy rains and tropical storm-force winds began hitting North Carolina's Outer Banks Thursday morning, leading the way for a storm packing 110-mph winds. Florence has weakened a bit over 24 hours, but it's also grown even larger – and it will likely dump torrential rain over North and South Carolina through Monday.

"Little change in strength is expected before the center reaches the coast, with weakening expected after the center moves inland," the National Hurricane Center said. Florence is currently a strong Category 2 storm.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am

Not a whole lot, just checkin in on folks in harms way this week, I have some friends and family out that way, but pretty far inland. They're more worried about mudslides and road washouts than flooding.

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 pm
crypto wrote:
If that's not Gov't for ya, I dunno what is.

Hey crypto. What's shakin?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 am

As usual, unprepared idiots lose their minds as mob stores at the last minute.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... plies.html

Chaos erupts in North Carolina Walmart as residents stock up on supplies in preparation for 'monster' Hurricane Florence

North Carolina residents rushed to stack up on food, water, toilet paper and other necessities ahead of Hurricane Florence

Although the storm was downgraded to a Category 2 Wednesday night, is it expected to bring devastation to the Carolinas and parts of Georgia Friday

A rowdy crowd was shown in a Facebook video shared by an employee at the supermarket off Glenn School Road in Durham

Police officers were made their rounds around the Walmart to ensure the safety of shoppers

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 am

This from the big box mob before a disaster of undetermined magnitude even happens.

Imagine what unprepared people will do in the days following a major disaster that has actually occurred. Especially if it looks like a governmental response will not be coming anytime soon.

A hurricane is scary. A desperate mob is much more so, at least to me.

Contrast this with SouthernZombie's prudent preps he discusses over in the Atlantic tropics thread. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=121929

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:11 am

What are actual pre-disaster effects of gun sales? Has any one heard of that being studied? I've heard before of "runs on guns" after a disaster.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Meanwhile, Hong Kong is facing a monster typhoon.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/soc ... worst-most

Super Typhoon Mangkhut: city’s residents prepare for worst as most powerful storm since records began edges closer to Hong Kong

Hongkongers began preparing for the worst on Thursday, boarding up windows, building flood defences, and stocking up on essential items as Super Typhoon Mangkhut edged ever closer to the city.

Predicted to be the most powerful storm since records began, with maximum sustained winds of up to 240km/h (149mph), the tropical cyclone is forecast to pass within 100km (62 miles) of the city on Sunday morning.

The Hong Kong Observatory warned that conditions were expected to deteriorate significantly later in the week, with very hot weather forecast for Friday and Saturday, followed by frequent heavy rain, squalls, and rough seas predicted for later this weekend.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Mangkhut: Thousands evacuate as storm bears down on Philippines
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/09/ ... 13248.html

A super typhoon roared towards the Philippines on Thursday prompting thousands to evacuate ahead of its heavy rains and fierce winds set to strike at the weekend before moving on to China.

Typhoon Mangkhut, which has already blasted through the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam, is speeding across the Pacific Ocean with winds that can gust as high as 255 kilometres per hour.

Authorities said some 10 million people in the Philippines are in the storm's path, not including millions more in heavily populated coastal China.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 pm

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/soc ... ning-chaos

Super Typhoon Mangkhut and six other storms threatening chaos around the world – from Hurricane Florence to Tropical Storm Olivia

As Hong Kong braces for the what could be the most intense storm to hit the city since records began, six other storms are also brewing, or have raised alarm, in other parts of the world.

Super Typhoon Mangkhut is joined on the tempestuous list by Barijat, Florence, Olivia, Isaac, Helene and Joyce. Tropical Depression Paul recently blew out.

On Thursday, the Hong Kong Observatory cancelled all cyclone warnings as Tropical Storm Barijat moved towards the vicinity of Leizhou Peninsula, in the southern part of China.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”