Sweden Urges It’s Citizens to Prepare for Invasion

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Sweden Urges It’s Citizens to Prepare for Invasion

Post by FlashDaddy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:26 pm

The Swedes are prepping for an invasion by a an unnamed foreign power whose initials are Russia.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 4efa05c5d7

They are also looking to increase their already numerous air raid/fallout shelters.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Stercutus

Re: Sweden Urges It’s Citizens to Prepare for Invasion

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Still not a member of NATO. During the Cold War Sweden had one of the largest land armies in Europe and industrial base to be proud of. After selling a good chunk of Volvo to the Chinese and demob things just aren't the same. An invasion of Sweden would either have to go through Finland (also not a member of NATO) or require good weather and a large fleet of landing craft. What would Russia gain from such an invasion that would make it worth the effort? Can't think of a single thing in the current geo-political climate.

As a side note the article made clear that the sudden threat to Sweden is all due to the current US President. Therefore he should not get a Nobel Prize for putting Sweden in greater danger. Not that the article from the Washington Post had political aims, just saying....
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Stercutus wrote: What would Russia gain from such an invasion that would make it worth the effort? Can't think of a single thing in the current geo-political climate.

Well said.
Sweden avoided invasion in WW2 from both sides due to its stated willingness to resist an invasion...that and its iron ore exports to the Axis and its leasing of its merchant marine fleet to the Allies and later in the war use of airfields to assist in the liberation of Norway. :wink:

Today Russia has very little need of Sweden's resources and other than Baltic Sea ports, the geography without Finland is not complimentary. BTW If Russia has Finland then the Baltic Sea ports are needed and Norway has better Atlantic Ocean ports. My $.02 anyway.

That said I think it is always wise for countries, states, cities, towns, etc. to plan for the worst. That is no different than what many of us do individually. That and an invasion from Russia is certainly a key and realistic risk albeit a low probability one based upon the current reality.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm

That said I think it is always wise for countries, states, cities, towns, etc. to plan for the worst. That is no different than what many of us do individually. That and an invasion from Russia is certainly a key and realistic risk albeit a low probability one based upon the current reality.
It is possible but the outcry from the EU and UN would likely be substantial. Russia would be badly punished even if no further military action took place. It is likely however there would be action. But yes, preparing is better than not preparing.
Shall be my brother

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue May 22, 2018 3:55 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:...an unnamed foreign power whose initials are Russia..
:clap:
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

proverbs308

Post by proverbs308 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:27 am

Stercutus wrote:
It is possible but the outcry from the EU and UN would likely be substantial. Russia would be badly punished even if no further military action took place. It is likely however there would be action. But yes, preparing is better than not preparing.
You may think that the world would care but Russia invaded Ukraine and no one did anything.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 pm

proverbs308 wrote:You may think that the world would care but Russia invaded Ukraine and no one did anything.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
It is a little different since Sweden is a member of the EU but good point.

History has shown us that the world is not fast to go to war over an invasion by a large and strong nation of a 3rd party country.
The Ukraine excursion as well as Afganistan are two that come to mind.
Last edited by raptor on Wed May 23, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 23, 2018 3:03 pm

raptor wrote:
It is a little different since Sweden is a member of the EU but good point.

History has shown us that the world is not fast to go to war over an invasion by a large and strong nation of a 3rd party country.
The Ukraine excursion as well as Afganistan are two that come to mind.
Georgia was actually more concerning to me.

Nothing like being in a foreign country with an allied nation army having it's soldiers fighting and dying for your cause and when their homeland gets invaded your country telling them "tough titties, sucks to be you". The US lost more face through their inaction on that issue that most people would think possible. The flip side worst case was nuclear war but I can't help but think there was some middle ground there.

The bottom line is that The West treats former Soviet satellites a bit differently and tends not to get involved.
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Sweden Is Preparing for the End of the World

Here is a link to the pamphlet. It will download as a PDF. Cool, but I feel that it could contain more prepping information. It is in English.

If Crisis or War Comes

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

What they really did was surrender. I guess that's one way to avoid an invasion. I mean ask the people who surrendered to the Mongols the same question, heck ask the Parisians in 1940. When the German's control all the trains in your country, the electric grid, and use your airfields and artillery ranges for their forces, they name the price that they will pay for your supplies that you are forced to sell to them and the king and royal family flee to England. I'd say the Germans are running the show. :words:

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote: What would Russia gain from such an invasion that would make it worth the effort? Can't think of a single thing in the current geo-political climate.

Well said.
Sweden avoided invasion in WW2 from both sides due to its stated willingness to resist an invasion...that and its iron ore exports to the Axis and its leasing of its merchant marine fleet to the Allies and later in the war use of airfields to assist in the liberation of Norway. :wink:

Today Russia has very little need of Sweden's resources and other than Baltic Sea ports, the geography without Finland is not complimentary. BTW If Russia has Finland then the Baltic Sea ports are needed and Norway has better Atlantic Ocean ports. My $.02 anyway.

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I roamed the web and the information that I came across on the current state of the Swedish Armed Forces was...ahh...less than favorable. :?

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Sweden Is Preparing for the End of the World

Here is a link to the pamphlet. It will download as a PDF. Cool, but I feel that it could contain more prepping information. It is in English.

If Crisis or War Comes

Thanks for the link to the English version of the leaflet. It was a very interesting read. My favorite bit was that if you hear that the government has said to stop resisting the invader, that will be false. Sweden will never give up, never surrender!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Swedish Defence Commission presents report on total defence concept and civil defence

The lonk for the report (PDF) is on the right of this page.

From what I have been reading, here is the takeaway I got:

1. During the cold war, Sweden is a very credible military.
2. The cold war ended, & there were massive budget cutbacks.
3. Sweden has a hollow shell of a military now. They are seriously behind the 8-ball.

Sweden is fucked at the moment. They have an island called Gotland which is in a very strategic place. The unnamed foreign power whose initials are Russia could own that island in about a day, and all the Baltic/Nordic powers would be in a world of shit.

Sweden has a advanced technology/industrial base. They could re-arm. During the cold war, their military & it's equipment was highly rated. They need people. Conscripts just don't cut it. They need an enlistment drive. They have a warrior (Vikings) history.

The questions that I see are: Will they have the time? Can they come up with the money?

fuck.

ETA: Her is an older report: Sweden: The Defense that Disappeared

P.P.S.: Here are two more reports: Swedish budget report - GlobalSecurity.Org

Resilience: Planning for Sweden’s “Total Defence”

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 24, 2018 6:05 pm

They have an island called Gotland which is in a very strategic place. The unnamed foreign power whose initials are Russia could own that island in about a day, and all the Baltic/Nordic powers would be in a world of shit.
That would be an international catastrophe for Russia. Given that the place gets millions of tourist visitors from all over the world year around an armed invader would likely achieve pariah status instantly. It would certain piss off and unite Europeans behind ejecting them. Figure a "Nordic Storm" type operation would likely occur.

The questions that I see are: Will they have the time? Can they come up with the money?
Let's see. The simulated nuking of Sweden first happened in 2013, five years ago. NATO sent some interceptors. Other than Swedes absolutely no one made a fuss. Five years has passed and Sweden has lightly rearmed Gotland and increased the size of the army by 50% (from 15K to 22.5K). Not much else has happened. I figure they have all the time in the world since nothing is happening. Money OTOH is a little harder to come up with. Nobody wants to go back to the tax policies of the Cold War. Also the Swedish policy on government communications makes things pretty touchy.
Shall be my brother

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 am

FlashDaddy wrote:The Swedes are prepping for an invasion by a an unnamed foreign power whose initials are Russia.

They are also looking to increase their already numerous air raid/fallout shelters.
This is the official reason, the actual reason is the same as the civil preparedness alert that was sent out about a year ago, I can't mention the actual reason as it would go into something that is against the rules but if one is at all familiar with the current state of Sweden it shouldn't be too hard to figure out...
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:36 am

MasterMaker wrote:
FlashDaddy wrote:The Swedes are prepping for an invasion by a an unnamed foreign power whose initials are Russia.

This is the official reason, the actual reason is the same as the civil preparedness alert that was sent out about a year ago, I can't mention the actual reason as it would go into something that is against the rules but if one is at all familiar with the current state of Sweden it shouldn't be too hard to figure out...
Seems logical to me. When nations import problems they get problems. I think if there were a time machine there would never have been a problem. Whatever that problem that we don't discuss might be.
Shall be my brother

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”